PDA

View Full Version : McGee's toughness, attitude inspires Aggies

johngateswhiteley
02-23-2007, 08:07 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2774945&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

McGee's toughness, attitude inspires Aggies
Schlabach
By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com
Archive

After a 2006 season that included so many close losses, Texas A&M seemed close to turning around its fortunes in coach Dennis Franchione's fourth year in College Station. The Aggies lost three regular season games by a combined six points -- a four-point loss to Texas Tech and one-point losses to both Oklahoma and Nebraska -- but then rallied to beat Texas in the finale, ending a six-game losing streak in the game that matters most.

Then Texas A&M played California in the Holiday Bowl.

And it wasn't even close.

The Bears blasted the Aggies 45-10, and Texas A&M lost for the ninth time in its last 11 bowl games and failed to finish in the final top 25 poll for the seventh consecutive season.

Stephen McGee led Big 12 QBs with 666 yards on the ground last season.

So as Texas A&M heads into spring practice and begins preparations for the 2007 season, are the Aggies closer to becoming a real threat in the Big 12 South, or closer to putting their coach back on the hot seat, where Franchione seemed to sit ever since he arrived from Alabama before the 2003 season?

"The Holiday Bowl left a nasty taste in our mouth, but we know what we need to do," said Jorvorskie Lane, the Aggies' 270-pound tailback. "We want to compete in the Big 12 and with everybody in the nation. We're still not satisfied with a 9-4 record. We were looking for a 10-win season last year. In 2007, we want to be Big 12 champions and compete for a national championship."

Offensively, the Aggies seem to have everything in place for a sustained run toward their first Big 12 championship since 1998. Junior Stephen McGee, who led all Big 12 Conference quarterbacks with 666 rushing yards and threw only two interceptions in 313 pass attempts, should be even better in his second full season as a starter.

McGee, a tough, gritty Texan, earned the respect of his teammates last season by lowering his shoulders and gaining tough yards.

"Everybody knows that McGee is tough," Lane said. "We've got a lot of respect for him. Everybody knows what kind of attitude to expect from McGee. We know if we need one yard, McGee is going to find a way to get it."

But McGee also knows he must develop into a more polished passer for the Aggies to be truly effective. As a sophomore, he threw for 2,295 yards and 12 touchdowns. But the Aggies rarely threw the football down the field (they ranked 11th in the Big 12 in pass offense -- only Colorado was worse -- with 190.5 yards per game), and McGee often looked to run first.

In the Holiday Bowl, the Bears constantly shadowed McGee with a defender, limiting him to only 31 rushing yards on eight carries. Big 12 opponents might use that same defense this season.

"We want to throw the ball down the field a little bit more and take advantage of our wide receivers," McGee said. "We just need to do a lot of the little things better."

Stephen McGee threw 12 TD passes and only two interceptions in 2006.

The Aggies must replace their top two receivers, Chad Schroeder and L'Tydrick Riley. Tight end Martellus Bennett, who recently left the school's basketball team to concentrate on football, is the top returning pass catcher. Guard Grant Dickey is the only starting offensive lineman who must be replaced.

"We were pretty disappointed with our performance in the Holiday Bowl, but hopefully we can take that as a positive going into next year," McGee said. "We know we've still got a long way to go before we get to where we want to be."

The Aggies certainly have two running backs who can get them there. Lane ran for 725 yards last season and tied a 79-year-old school record by running for 19 touchdowns. The junior from Lufkin, Texas has lost five pounds during the offseason and hopes to be closer to 260 when the Aggies open the season Sept. 1 against Division I-AA Montana State.

"He's as big as ever," McGee said.

Sophomore Mike Goodson, who led the Aggies with 847 rushing yards as a freshman, could play a larger role on offense this season. He is faster than Lane and is a threat catching the ball out of the backfield.

"He's the next Reggie Bush," Lane said. "He's going to be a great player. He had a good freshman year and he's going to get better and better. It's going to be exciting to see what he can do."

Unlike during Franchione's first three seasons at Texas A&M, the Aggies won't have to light up the scoreboard to win games. Defensive coordinator Gary Darnell stabilized the defense in his first season.

Using a 4-2-5 scheme, the Aggies finished fifth in the Big 12 in scoring defense, allowing 20.5 points per game. They ranked fourth in pass defense (190.5 yards per game) and sixth in run defense (132.1). Texas A&M ranked 11th, 12th and eighth in those respective categories in 2005.

But the Aggies still have plenty of room for improvement.

"We were right there at the end of all those games," McGee said. "I wouldn't say it was our inability to close or finish games. We're 20 seconds and six points away from winning all those games. But we left last year in the past, learned our lessons and we're moving on."

Mark Schlabach covers college football and men's college basketball for ESPN.com. You can contact him at [email protected].

johngateswhiteley
02-24-2007, 01:19 AM
1st Place.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2007, 11:44 AM
It's funny cuz if you weren't a dual homer you'd be pissed that they compared this young punk to the immortal Reggie Bush.

I give it to them though, did not think their Nickel defense would be as successful as it was last season, plus that goodsen fellah is a huge threat, but its typical chiggarumming to call him the next Bush at this point.

johngateswhiteley
02-24-2007, 12:33 PM
It's funny cuz if you weren't a dual homer you'd be pissed that they compared this young punk to the immortal Reggie Bush.

even then i was like what. in any case, i can't wait for A&M to beat t.u. this year and i do think they have a great chance to win the Big 12.

mookie2001
02-24-2007, 12:37 PM
better pray for severe nerve damage

johngateswhiteley
02-24-2007, 12:43 PM
better pray for severe nerve damage

how are you going to stop McGee and our running game?

leemajors
02-24-2007, 01:16 PM

it's not like it has to be stopped to keep the scoring down. a&m needs to find some sort of passing game to win the big 12, and it doesn't look like that will happen with mcgee at qb.

Holmes_Fans
02-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Texas stopped aggy just fine last year, 12 points. And only a delusional aggy doesn't know that it would of been a Texas blowout win if Colt was healthy.

Holmes_Fans
02-24-2007, 01:30 PM
it's not like it has to be stopped to keep the scoring down. a&m needs to find some sort of passing game to win the big 12, and it doesn't look like that will happen with mcgee at qb.
No, that won't happen with Fran as a coach.

gtownspur
02-24-2007, 01:33 PM

Same could be said of Mack "you're doing a heck uva job!" Brownie, if he didn't recruit well.

Pugglekicker_21
02-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Its true though. Colt was still feeling the reprocussions of the K state game and obviously one week wasnt enough to help him get over the stinger he suffered. I believe that the Aggies will have a monster running game next year with a three pronged attack of McGee Lane and Goodson. However, I cant name a WR on that team and they need to do better at recruiting in state, they were totally dominated by the Sooners and UT this year. I give them a good chance of haging with Oklahoma nad Texas next year, but 12 points wont be the same daunting mountain to climb for Colt and Co.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Colt led his team to a victory in Nebraska and Tech that McGee can only dream about in his bunk at the fucking train station.

Not one time in the entire season did Colt slow down in a game and lose passing strength like he did during that last game. Did Colt's passes lose touch on them in the Iowa game? No, its blatant he was fucked up. It's all part of the game, so the aggie game next year is not a definite aggy win. It will be another close one regardless.

leemajors
02-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Same could be said of Mack "you're doing a heck uva job!" Brownie, if he didn't recruit well.

let's just keep saying it about greg davis instead.

gtownspur
02-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Colt led his team to a victory in Nebraska and Tech that McGee can only dream about in his bunk at the fucking train station.

Not one time in the entire season did Colt slow down in a game and lose passing strength like he did during that last game. Did Colt's passes lose touch on them in the Iowa game? No, its blatant he was fucked up. It's all part of the game, so the aggie game next year is not a definite aggy win. It will be another close one regardless.

It's called "having no pass protection", because your Oline coach was to blame for having 5* recruits getting bitch pwned by redshirt 3*'s.

gtownspur
02-24-2007, 02:16 PM
let's just keep saying it about greg davis instead.

Let's just say Mack Brown sans VY and good recruits = Barnett with scandals.

except barnett with the same recruits UT has been blessed would have cleaned OU's clock.

leemajors
02-24-2007, 02:17 PM
It's called "having no pass protection", because your Oline coach was to blame for having 5* recruits getting bitch pwned by redshirt 3*'s.

it's a poor excuse if dude suited up not quite ready, but he was shortarming everything from what i saw.

leemajors
02-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Let's just say Mack Brown sans VY and good recruits = Barnett with scandals.

except barnett with the same recruits UT has been blessed would have cleaned OU's clock.

that's an elaborate way to say mack brown is a great recruiter and barnett isn't.

gtownspur
02-24-2007, 02:25 PM
that's an elaborate way to say mack brown is a great recruiter and barnett isn't.

no, not to elaborate since that what i blatantly already indicated.

Just that mack brown is a killer recruiter/ anemic coach.

leemajors
02-24-2007, 02:57 PM
no, not to elaborate since that what i blatantly already indicated.

Just that mack brown is a killer recruiter/ anemic coach.

i agree about him being a bleh x's and o's coach, but any coach is only as good as his coordinators and players. a college coach's main job is to recruit, no?

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Noone said Texas has good coaches, in fact, I think Texas is unique in the fact that it rakes in amazing raw talent in football but levels out to a 'pretty good' level team cuz of sheer suck ass coaching

johngateswhiteley
02-24-2007, 06:22 PM
...you guys are funny. A&M walked all over t.u. in that game and nothing is going to change this year @ Kyle Field. and for those of you who think A&M has no receivers or McGee can't pass?....you, obviously, don't know what you are talking about.

leemajors
02-24-2007, 06:28 PM
...you guys are funny. A&M walked all over t.u. in that game and nothing is going to change this year @ Kyle Field. and for those of you who think A&M has no receivers or McGee can't pass?....you, obviously, don't know what you are talking about.
they may as well call the game off now, you're right.

mookie2001
02-24-2007, 07:05 PM
...you guys are funny. A&M walked all over t.u. in that game and nothing is going to change this year @ Kyle Field. and for those of you who think A&M has no receivers or McGee can't pass?....you, obviously, don't know what you are talking about.yall have a great running game, I dont think you want mcgee to run all year, not when you have goodsen and lane, hopefully we'll learn how to tackle 1 option play, a&m has no more advantage in the running game than texas will have in the passing game, texas has the better defense, it should be a good game, with melton off the depth chart and a healthy colt, texas is a different team
mcgee is a weak passer- i said it

Ohio st and OU have been texas' best competition these last two years, and this year its a&m, I'll take that every year

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2007, 07:42 PM
hahaha
i like mookie's pimpo-esque witt

j-6
02-24-2007, 08:27 PM
v. Montana State
v. Fresno State
v. Louisiana-Monroe
@ Miami, FL
v. Baylor
v. Oklahoma State
@ Texas Tech
@ Nebraska
v. Kansas
@ Oklahoma
@ Missouri
v. Texas

That looks about 9-3 to me, guys.

mookie2001
02-24-2007, 10:07 PM
a&m at tech will be bloodsmegma bath, much like a gwar concert

midgetonadonkey
02-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Didn't everyone talk shit about the Texas passing game when VY was QB? Texas will be owned by the Ags next year. Not only in the game but in the Big 12 standings.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2007, 10:43 PM
wait a minute guyyyyys, you can't dooo dettttt until you consida the penultimate quintessential big twelve game: Agg vs Baylor.

beachbarbie948
02-25-2007, 02:40 AM

ding ding ding!
we have a winner!

johngateswhiteley
02-25-2007, 12:47 PM
:lol at aggy homers. mccoy ain't no freshman no mo oh boy!

:lol at t.u. homers. McCoy is fragile and so is t.u.'s chances next year...

Cant_Be_Faded
02-25-2007, 01:47 PM
one game season brah

gtownspur
02-25-2007, 02:03 PM
yall have a great running game, I dont think you want mcgee to run all year, not when you have goodsen and lane, hopefully we'll learn how to tackle 1 option play, a&m has no more advantage in the running game than texas will have in the passing game, texas has the better defense, it should be a good game, with melton off the depth chart and a healthy colt, texas is a different team
mcgee is a weak passer- i said it

Ohio st and OU have been texas' best competition these last two years, and this year its a&m, I'll take that every year

I think I mention the Purple pussies of K state, and i got laughed off.

Not funny anymore putos? eYh! :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
02-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Dude have you seen Jevean Snead throw a football? Combined with the worst Secondary in UT history, we would have lost to Sam Houston State if Colt had gone down during the first drive of that game.

But then again, when colt was in the game against Kstate, we didn't move the ball or anything :rolleyes

gtownspur
02-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Dude have you seen Jevean Snead throw a football? Combined with the worst Secondary in UT history, we would have lost to Sam Houston State if Colt had gone down during the first drive of that game.

But then again, when colt was in the game against Kstate, we didn't move the ball or anything :rolleyes

No excuse. We had VY's cousin prototype autistic Donovan Mcnabb for a QB who had no arm, and had no offensive powers to boot.

Yet we did not go down by 45 pts.

johngateswhiteley
02-25-2007, 03:44 PM
v. Montana State ---w
v. Fresno State ---w
v. Louisiana-Monroe ---w
@ Miami, FL ---w
v. Baylor ---w
v. Oklahoma State ---w
@ Texas Tech ---w
@ Nebraska ---l
v. Kansas ---w
@ Oklahoma ---w/l
@ Missouri ---w
v. Texas ---w

i see 11-1 at best and more than likely 10-2. we'll be right there in the South...

leemajors
02-25-2007, 05:08 PM
No excuse. We had VY's cousin prototype autistic Donovan Mcnabb for a QB who had no arm, and had no offensive powers to boot.

Yet we did not go down by 45 pts.

who went down by 45 points? those flashbacks to the big 12 championship are altering your memory.

Oscar DeLa
02-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't know what it is but aTm always loses to tech!