PDA

View Full Version : Manu not playing with Argentina this summer

gus
02-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Ole newpaper in Argentina states that Pop and R.C. Buford "suggested" Manu not to play in the Olympic Qualification this summer.

Manu is still guessing but it is probably that he is not going to play.

Gus

ArgSpursFan
02-23-2007, 10:22 AM
He is not playing this summer.he just don´t wanna say it.

GrandeDavid
02-23-2007, 10:28 AM
After leading the Spurs to the NBA championship this summer, he'll certainly need the rest before leading the Spurs to a repeat run next year.

ArgSpursFan
02-23-2007, 10:36 AM
After leading the Spurs to the NBA championship this summer, he'll certainly need the rest before leading the Spurs to a repeat run next year.

I hope you´re right.That´s all I have to say.

TMTTRIO
02-23-2007, 10:46 AM
I saw something about that and I thought that's what it said but of course you never know with the weird translations that google does. Well he could use the rest anyways.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2007/02/23/01368404.html
Good-bye to The fertile plain

San Antonio asked him al bahiense that this time descend. Wants to have it entire for the season 07/08.

The Spurs will aim al title in the season 07/08 and they want to Manu in physical fullness.

A suggestion can have different weight according to who do it. In the labor relation between San Antonio Spurs and Emanuel Ginóbili, if the "suggestion" comes on behalf of the vice president, R.C. Buford, and of the coach, Gregg Popovich, the same one is synonym of order made up.

San Antonio Spurs was always generous with the Selection. Never it was opposed to yield to Emanuel Ginóbili, despite that the relation was initiated with a negative antecedent: the aid arrived al team after a wound (swerve in the right ankle), that suffered in the semifinals of the World one 02.

But Ginóbili rowed it and in little time was gained the respect of the orthodox one Popovich. Of that form renewed the permission for each important assembly with the Selection.

It does a pair of weeks, Buford and Popovich spoke with Ginóbili in the same old cordial terms and with the respect that deserve the parts. "Manu, would be convenient that do not go to The fertile plain. We need you entire for the next season. Then if querés to go to the Olympic Games do not there would be problems of ours splits". Thus, words more, words less, was the unified speech of the leader and the DT.

It can be understood that, in the event that Argentina obtain not one of the two plazas of America in the Preolímpico of The fertile plain (22 of August al 2 of September of the 2007), San Antonio will permit to play the "repechaje world" to the Play, already finalized the season 07/08. That tournament will be carried out between 7 and July 13 (still without headquarters) and will offer the last three passages for Beijing.

Manu it was seen to come. Astute, it knows how should they communicate the news without they exploiting as bombs in the hands of nobody. Thus it was that, like al to pass, on the Selection, said: "I come playing since many years ago. And, good, Popovich is not so convinced that correspond me to go this year. So it will be question to speak it and to see what decision we take". The interview was seen in Sportscenter, the program of ESPN +, Friday 16, hours after the triumph before Detroit. Clarito, ¿not? When Olé consulted to Sergio Hernández on the possibility that Manu be not noted in the Preolímpico, the DT admitted: "You are well rumbeado"....

The wound of Pau Gasol, in the World one 06, exactly before Argentina, deprived of its main figure to Memphis Grizzlies during the first three months of the season 06/07. At the same time the light of alarm among the owners of the NBA was lit again: do not want to lend its players for them selected. Themselves bancan, to there, to yield them for United States. That because is an order of the NBA that advances in its strategy of globalization.

San Antonio was planted with all to favor, as for receive not the refusal of the player neither neither to appear like the executioner of the situation because, as was indicated, always generosity exceeded him. So, this time, there is not a lot of right al I stamp provided that themselves quieran to maintain the good relations with the texanos, al end, the ones that todavían have to pay 30 million dollars by the three years of contract that remain him al Argentine.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2007/02/23/01368407.html
Two vacancies are opened
Hernandez must add a perimetral and a pivot to the group.

The loss of Ginóbili is going to cause that automatically Carlitos Delfino takes its place in the quinteto to title, but also leaves a vacancy between the perimetrales of the Selection and the Ewe Hernandez has the decision in its hands. Hernán Jasen (of the mejorcito in the matches with the alternative equipment) and Fede Kammerichs (absent in the last call by personal problems) are the candidates. Both they come rendering in the Spanish ACB, one in Students and another one in Bruesa.

If he does not count either on Oberto, the technician needs a pivot more and in that position players do not exceed. Juan Gutiérrez is low until June (breakage of the sinew of Aquilles). Roman González and Gabriel Mikulas is outlined like variants.

ArgSpursFan
02-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Yes,Thats basically what I´ve been reading on the news in Arg.

JPB
02-23-2007, 10:54 AM
tony will play, if not injured, the euro champs in September, from what he said.

That's qualifying for the next olympics that he really wants to experience.

Euro champs, from everyone opinion, is much harder than the world champs, cos you don't have any small team nor easy games.

MmP
02-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't believe to that source until you hear it from Manu.

ArgSpursFan
02-23-2007, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't believe to that source until you hear it from Manu.

he actually said something on ESPN LatinAmerica two weeks ago before the Pistons game.
He didn´t say he wasn´t playing but he said most likely won´t be playing this summer.

SequSpur
02-23-2007, 11:33 AM
o da lay!

AFBlue
02-23-2007, 12:05 PM
:depressed

Manu turning his back on his country....sad, sad day

ploto
02-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Manu already has Olympic gold. It was that World Championship from last summer that he wanted.

v2freak
02-23-2007, 12:34 PM

He's not turning his back on his country

Cherry
02-23-2007, 12:41 PM

WTF?
Manu will play for his country (if they can´t win in Las Vegas) :rolleyes

nkdlunch
02-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Manu already took his country to the promised land. He has done his job. End of story.

T Park
02-23-2007, 01:16 PM
About time.

The Spurs are the ones that pay em 8 million.

Not Argentina.

End of story.

SequSpur
02-23-2007, 01:26 PM
About time.

Not Argentina.

End of story.

whatever dude... Argentina > 8 million.

T Park
02-23-2007, 01:39 PM
:lol

ArgSpursFan
02-23-2007, 03:50 PM
About time.

Not Argentina.

End of story.

He plays for Free for Argentina.You have to pay him to do the same....
sad,sad,very sad.....

ALVAREZ6
02-23-2007, 05:38 PM
He better play in 08 though, we gotta defend that Gold.

T Park
02-23-2007, 05:41 PM
He plays for Free for Argentina.You have to pay him to do the same....
sad,sad,very sad.....

because its his job.

Argentina doesn't pay him shit.

His focus should be 100% on the spurs.

Period.

GrandeDavid
02-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Manu already took his country to the promised land. He has done his job. End of story.

Perfectly stated. I couldn't have said it more clearly. But I will also articulate that Manu is pushing 30 now and because of how passionately and aggressively he plays, physically, he may be closer to my age-- gulp -- 34. And he makes his living playing in the NBA, so he needs to focus on maximizing his efforts there.

HAVING SAID THAT, I do hope that Manu plays in the Olympics and mentors younger players who will step up on the Argentinian national team. I do not want to see a drop off in Argentina's world class level of basketball. I want to see basketball continue to grow in Argentina, and to do that, the national team will obviously need Manu in some capacity.

But dude definitely deserves a rest this coming summer.

ArgSpursFan
02-23-2007, 05:55 PM

BRAVO :clap :clap :clap

AFBlue
02-23-2007, 05:56 PM
About my comment, I was just kidding. I honestly don't think he's turning his back on Argentina, I just wanted to see the reaction it got....

ArgSpursFan
02-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Perfectly stated. I couldn't have said it more clearly. But I will also articulate that Manu is pushing 30 now and because of how passionately and aggressively he plays, physically, he may be closer to my age-- gulp -- 34. And he makes his living playing in the NBA, so he needs to focus on maximizing his efforts there.

HAVING SAID THAT, I do hope that Manu plays in the Olympics and mentors younger players who will step up on the Argentinian national team. I do not want to see a drop off in Argentina's world class level of basketball. I want to see basketball continue to grow in Argentina, and to do that, the national team will obviously need Manu in some capacity.

But dude definitely deserves a rest this coming summer.

I don´t see that happening,Basketball is getting bigger and bigger in Argentina.There are some real good talents playing for the domestic league, and they look as good as manu did when he was 19 or 20.+Manu will continue contributing to Arg.basketball by doing other things like developing young talents.
Also remember that Carlos Delfino is not even 25 ys old.
Arg´s Basketball will be alright.

ArgSpursFan
02-23-2007, 06:02 PM
About my comment, I was just kidding. I honestly don't think he's turning his back on Argentina, I just wanted to see the reaction it got....

I know that Tony,You keep on trying me again and again.

that´s why I didn´t react :smokin

AFBlue
02-23-2007, 06:03 PM
I know that Tony,You keep on trying me again and again.

that´s why I didn´t react :smokin

We don't always agree, but I admire your passion and respect your opinion...unless I can see that you're leaning heavily on your emotions instead of logic...

ArgSpursFan
02-23-2007, 06:04 PM
We don't always agree, but I admire your passion and respect your opinion...unless I can see that you're leaning heavily on your emotions instead of logic...

and my english spelling is getting better also :lol

smeagol
02-23-2007, 07:59 PM
because its his job.

Argentina doesn't pay him shit.

His focus should be 100% on the spurs.

Period.
No.

Period.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-23-2007, 09:52 PM
thank god
let him rest and work more on that 3 ball

v2freak
02-23-2007, 11:16 PM
About time.

Not Argentina.

End of story.

I can see the logic in this, actually. People say that you shouldn't forget where you came from (Argentina in this case) but similarly, you shouldn't forget how you made a living, how you've achieved world fame, how you've improved your level of play etc

ducks
02-23-2007, 11:18 PM
I do not think any pro should play in international competion
rather it is for the USA or any other country

SpursXO
02-23-2007, 11:24 PM
I was looking forward to him playing there. But, if it's whats best for the Spurs. :)

v2freak
02-23-2007, 11:40 PM
I do not think any pro should play in international competion
rather it is for the USA or any other country

Certainly something fair like that works

WalterBenitez
02-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Manu should have to play ... you know how passion we have about our NT ... POP sucks!

MaNuMaNiAc
02-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Manu doesn't HAVE to do anything. The dude has done enough for his national team, more than enough I should say. He has earned the right to do what he wants and if that means retiring from international play, then I say great, and thanks for everything champ.