PDA

View Full Version : "Making an Impact" by Mike Jarvis

RonMexico
02-23-2007, 11:06 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=AuAUFrPixrdL_hUPjKauRU3evbYF?slug=mj-mostimportant022107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Just further proof that the recruit rating system is a joke. Acie was a 3 star guy...

MajorMike
02-23-2007, 11:22 AM
You are right, they know nothing.

I mean, heck, they had guys like Chris Paul and Aaron Brooks and Will Blaylock and Mustafa Shakur ahead of him. Curtis Stinson was just behind him.

RonMexico
02-23-2007, 11:42 AM
You're saying Will Blalock and Mustafa Shakur (choke artist of the year) are better than Acie Law?

I'll correct myself: CaptMike is a joke...

MajorMike
02-23-2007, 12:49 PM
All-Big 12 First Team Pos. Ht. Wt. Cl. Hometown/Previous School(s)
Richard Roby, Colorado G 6-6 195 So. San Bernardino, Calif./Lawrence Academy (Mass.)
Brandon Rush, Kansas G 6-6 202 Fr. Kansas City, Mo./Mt. Zion Academy (N.C.)
LaMarcus Aldridge, Texas F 6-10 237 So. Dallas, Texas/Seagoville
P.J. Tucker, Texas** F 6-5 225 Jr. Raleigh, N.C./Enloe
Jarrius Jackson, Texas Tech G 6-1 185 Jr. Monroe, La./Ouachita

All-Big 12 Second Team
Curtis Stinson, Iowa State G 6-3 215 Jr. Bronx, N.Y./Bronx Regional/Winchendon Prep
Cartier Martin, Kansas State F 6-8 220 Jr. Houston, Texas/Nimitz
Terrell Everett, Oklahoma G 6-4 188 Sr. Charleston, S.C./Southwest Missouri State-West Plains CC
Taj Gray, Oklahoma F 6-9 238 Sr. Wichita, Kan./Redlands Community College (Okla.)
Joseph Jones, Texas A&M F 6-9 250 So. Normangee, Texas/Normangee

All-Big 12 Third Team
Will Blalock, Iowa State G 6-0 205 Jr. Boston, Mass./East/Notre Dame Prep
Thomas Gardner, Missouri G 6-5 213 Jr. Portland, Ore./Jefferson
Brad Buckman, Texas F 6-8 235 Sr. Austin, Texas/Westlake
Daniel Gibson, Texas G 6-2 190 So. Houston, Texas/Jones
Acie Law, Texas A&M G 6-3 185 Jr. Dallas, Texas/Kimball

K-State Spur
02-23-2007, 12:51 PM
They also had Dez Willingham (who spent 1 year @ KSU) ahead of him as a 4 star.

leemajors
02-23-2007, 01:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=AuAUFrPixrdL_hUPjKauRU3evbYF?slug=mj-mostimportant022107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Just further proof that the recruit rating system is a joke. Acie was a 3 star guy...

so you'd rather he be a 4 star and gone somewhere else?

AFBlue
02-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Alot of NBA GMs also had Darko Milicic ahead of Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, and Duane Wade.

Ratings are created by people based on performance against lower level talent and a player's progression up to that point. There are too many unknowns, such as how that player's ability will translate to the next level and/or if the player is able to grow that ability enough to surpass previous limitations.

Bottom Line: Projecting someone's future based on past performance is not an exact science.

MajorMike
02-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Alot of NBA GMs also had Darko Milicic ahead of Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, and Duane Wade.

Ratings are created by people based on performance against lower level talent and a player's progression up to that point. There are too many unknowns, such as how that player's ability will translate to the next level and/or if the player is able to grow that ability enough to surpass previous limitations.

Bottom Line: Projecting someone's future based on past performance is not an exact science.

Thank you for emphasising my point as it zoomed over ronnie's head.

RonMexico
02-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Thank you for emphasising my point as it zoomed over ronnie's head.

No, my original point that we should get rid of all recruiting sites and publications like Rivals.com because they're a worthless waste of air (like RPI) zoomed way over all your heads.

RonMexico
02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
All-Big 12 Third Team
Will Blalock, Iowa State G 6-0 205 Jr. Boston, Mass./East/Notre Dame Prep
Thomas Gardner, Missouri G 6-5 213 Jr. Portland, Ore./Jefferson
Brad Buckman, Texas F 6-8 235 Sr. Austin, Texas/Westlake
Daniel Gibson, Texas G 6-2 190 So. Houston, Texas/Jones
Acie Law, Texas A&M G 6-3 185 Jr. Dallas, Texas/Kimball

Oh, so Will Blalock isn't better... thanks for confirming my point.

I'm sure next you'll give me Mustafa Shakur's draft projections from his freshman year at Arizona...

RonMexico
02-23-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm really glad you found confidence in PHAT TONY who can't even spell Dwayne Wade's name correctly, even though there hasn't been a player mentioned more in the past 3 days than D-Wade RE: his shoulder. Makes your own assertions even more worthless.

All he said was that Joe Dumars is an idiot for believing the hype that surrounded Darko... kind of like the hype surrounding Blalock, Stinson, JamesOn Curry, and Shakur... and now, OJ Mayo.

MajorMike
02-23-2007, 03:03 PM
And what do you say when they get it right? They were lucky? so LeBron and CP shouldn't have been the #1 and #2 guys that year, right?

leemajors
02-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm really glad you found confidence in PHAT TONY who can't even spell Dwayne Wade's name correctly, even though there hasn't been a player mentioned more in the past 3 days than D-Wade RE: his shoulder. Makes your own assertions even more worthless.

All he said was that Joe Dumars is an idiot for believing the hype that surrounded Darko... kind of like the hype surrounding Blalock, Stinson, JamesOn Curry, and Shakur... and now, OJ Mayo.

it's Dwyane, dude. :lol

AFBlue
02-23-2007, 04:20 PM

I'm glad you can eschew my entire argument because I mispelled the name Dwayne. I'm sure it's of no consequence that my father's name is Duane (spelled as such) and I'm used to seeing it spelled that way....

But go ahead and discount my logic because of a spelling error.... :dizzy

AFBlue
02-23-2007, 04:22 PM
it's Dwyane, dude. :lol

Well aware lee...glad I could make you laugh I guess

leemajors
02-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Well aware lee...glad I could make you laugh I guess

i was laughing at RonMexico attempting to correct your spelling with incorrect spelling.

AFBlue
02-23-2007, 05:01 PM
i was laughing at RonMexico attempting to correct your spelling with incorrect spelling.

:lol

Sorry I didn't catch that at first....suttle difference, but hilarious...

RonMexico
02-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Son of a bitch... oh, well - LeBron's overrated... haha

Cant_Be_Faded
02-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Ron Mexico is not a very knowledgable poster. He makes JGW look like Emanuel Kant. Dude, Acie law was rated 3 stars, and he blew nuts as a freshman about the level a 3 star would have blown nuts.

Noone says the star ratings is purely based on how they will be as a senior.

johngateswhiteley
02-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Ron Mexico is not a very knowledgable poster. He makes JGW look like Emanuel Kant.

1. i am, easily, the smartest poster here
2. Ron Mexico is a saint

Cant_Be_Faded
02-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Your first 10 predictions in this forum were completely wrong, but, yeah ok.

But then again, if we based it on predictions, mookie would be the smartest, cuz he predicted texas's perfect finish with championship at the end, in this very forum.

johngateswhiteley
02-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Your first 10 predictions in this forum were completely wrong, but, yeah ok.

But then again, if we based it on predictions, mookie would be the smartest, cuz he predicted texas's perfect finish with championship at the end, in this very forum.

predictions? :lol

leemajors
02-24-2007, 12:09 AM
1. i am, easily, the smartest poster here
2. Ron Mexico is a saint

the smartest poster here would not be guilty of such an overuse of commas to convey his point.

johngateswhiteley
02-24-2007, 12:12 AM
the smartest poster here would not be guilty of such an overuse of commas to convey his point.

i love two things:

1. ,,,,,
2. .....

RonMexico
02-24-2007, 03:35 AM
Ron Mexico is not a very knowledgable poster. He makes JGW look like Emanuel Kant. Dude, Acie law was rated 3 stars, and he blew nuts as a freshman about the level a 3 star would have blown nuts.

Noone says the star ratings is purely based on how they will be as a senior.

"Blew nuts"? I happened to watch every home game in person his freshman year when they went 6-21 and he was guilty of a poor coach, rather than a lack of his own skills. I also met Acie his freshman year (my sophomore year) when he would go out to the courts at the rec center and shoot hoops while his girlfriend sat and watched.

I often shot outside too just because I found it relaxing and I think he was happy that someone actually knew who he was, because about 12 people went to the games that year. He was quiet, but very down-to-earth and a nice guy. You obviously know nothing about Acie as a person or how he played early in his career.

Let's look at some 5 star players, like... I dunno, Ed O'Bannon, Acie Earl, and countless other players who blew nuts like 5 stars shouldn't...

RonMexico
02-24-2007, 03:36 AM

it's actually a grammatically correct use of commas.

leemajors
02-24-2007, 11:24 AM
it's actually a grammatically correct use of commas.

it's an overuse and breaks up the flow of his statement.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2007, 11:40 AM
"Blew nuts"? I happened to watch every home game in person his freshman year when they went 6-21 and he was guilty of a poor coach, rather than a lack of his own skills. I also met Acie his freshman year (my sophomore year) when he would go out to the courts at the rec center and shoot hoops while his girlfriend sat and watched.

I often shot outside too just because I found it relaxing and I think he was happy that someone actually knew who he was, because about 12 people went to the games that year. He was quiet, but very down-to-earth and a nice guy. You obviously know nothing about Acie as a person or how he played early in his career.

Let's look at some 5 star players, like... I dunno, Ed O'Bannon, Acie Earl, and countless other players who blew nuts like 5 stars shouldn't...
Dude when did I ever insinuate I knew anything about Acie as a person. See, you're borderline retarded I think. Lit'rally. But the coaching excuse is still a cop out for that season, I feel, ya'll played some pretty shitty teams here and there and even a coach's will alone doesn't make the basketball go inside the hoop, so I'm gonna disagree there.

RonMexico
02-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Dude when did I ever insinuate I knew anything about Acie as a person. See, you're borderline retarded I think. Lit'rally. But the coaching excuse is still a cop out for that season, I feel, ya'll played some pretty shitty teams here and there and even a coach's will alone doesn't make the basketball go inside the hoop, so I'm gonna disagree there.

Jarvis's whole article is about how these guys are as people: their character, work ethic, dedication, toughness, etc. These types of characteristics don't pop up in the "star ratings." Because if they did, I'm pretty sure everyone would have said what a choke artist LeBron is long before he was drafted.

I can't believe I'm getting all this flack from a guy whose favorite NBA team routinely finds "under the radar" players deep in the draft that have helped them win championships. It's not just the skill of players like Ginobili, but their clutch play in big games and their overall character that have led to the Spurs' success. What is the fucking point of a 5-star rating if it's "only meant to indicate how they will play as freshmen." I'm pretty sure Pop and RC saw something in Manu's character and his POTENTIAL that they figured he was a steal in the 2nd round.

Duncan is the only blue-chip/5-star quality player that the Spurs have drafted in the past 10 years (and he really didn't live up to that status until his junior year as he *gasp* matured in his skill set), and yet the Spurs have won 3 championships since 1999.

You're going to disagree with Melvin Watkins being a terrible coach and that an 0-16 Big 12 season led to his firing? I can't believe I'm hearing this on a board where I routinely see things like: "Fuck small ball" "What's with Pop's lineups" "4 white guys to start the 4th???!?!?!" That's bullshit and you're a fucking retard who can barely speak the english language, much less get your head out of your ass. Melvin didn't need to "will the ball into the hoop" because his terrible offensive and defensive schemes led to them having no chance whatsoever of success.

RonMexico
02-24-2007, 05:25 PM
it's an overuse and breaks up the flow of his statement.

i didn't say they were stylistically correct... just grammatically sound.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2007, 05:26 PM
You're going to disagree with Melvin Watkins being a terrible coach and that an 0-16 Big 12 season led to his firing? I can't believe I'm hearing this on a board where I routinely see things like: "Fuck small ball" "What's with Pop's lineups" "4 white guys to start the 4th???!?!?!" That's bullshit and you're a fucking retard who can barely speak the english language, much less get your head out of your ass. Melvin didn't need to "will the ball into the hoop" because his terrible offensive and defensive schemes led to them having no chance whatsoever of success.

No; obviously he sucked, but to blame every single game on the coach alone is a mistake. I saw some aggie games that season and Acie was a run of the mill chigga rummer. Now I easily admit he's a fucking baller. But he was what he was.