PDA

View Full Version : Avery didn't like Anthony Johnson??

big3bigD
02-23-2007, 12:40 PM
THE TRUTH ABOUT THE AJ TRADE
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

Want the truth about the dumping of Anthony Johnson? You get it here, first and exclusively:
No, it's not about "faith in JJB.'' No, it's not about an unwillingness to pay Johnson $9 mil over two years. No, it's not because Johnson's accidental elbow broke Greg Buckner's nose in practice. No, it's not because the Mavs wanting to open up a roster spot for Keith Van Horn.

Anthony Johnson had been traded to Atlanta for a second-round pick because the Mavs didn't like his sluggish game, didn't like his attitude and didn't like the fact that he was 20 pounds overweight and couldn't or wouldn't lose it.

Period.

Leave it to classy coach Avery Johnson to explain the deadline deal by saying it was motivated by a renewed faith in Devin Harris. ("Let's just say we feel really, really strong about Devin," AJ said.) Leave it to the classy coach to make it sound as if a second-round pick is a heckuva commodity. (That's like a late first-round pick!'' AJ said.)

Leave it to me, though, to give it to you straight: Avery, initially a fan of Anthony because of his toughness and experience, grew more and more disappointed in Anthony's weight issue. Dallas shouldn't have been surprised; there are old-time NBA'ers who will always argue that a thick-bodied small guard, once he gets into his 30's, is in constant danger of "losing it.''

And Anthony Johnson -- thick-bodied and thick-legged by nature, carrying 20 needless extra pounds, and in his 30's -- lost it.

The staff was also disappointed in some occasional behavior things -- "little b.s. things,'' one staffer said -- difficult for outsiders to detect because Anthony had a knack for saying the right thing to both the media and to coaches. But, a source said, his actions did not match his words. And his performance was even poorer than his actions.

Johnson came here this year from the Pacers in the Darrell Armstrong trade. He averaged 2.8 points, two assists and 14.1 minutes in 40 games -- numbers that cause me to long for D.A.

Make no mistake, the Mavs are clearly Avery's team. Because of the respect he's earned from Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson, he is able to win debates on these sort of issues. The owner might argue that the investment should be seen through. The GM might argue that an insurance policy third PG is important.

But Avery didn't like Anthony. So Anthony is gone.

It might be logical to wonder if it wasn't about the money, but it wasn't. It might be logical to think there is an ensuing move on the way. But while it might be nice to fall into a third-string center at some point, that's not the plan, and it's certainly not a plan that includes Keith Van Horn, who I'm told is not an Avery fave, either. How much of it is about getting a pick from the lousy Hawks? In this summer's talent-thick NBA Draft, a top-40-or-so pick would be OK, I guess. How much of it is about Devin? Heck, he's already a part-time starter at the point; what does Anthony Johnson have to do with him? And how much of it is about JJ Barea?

I was told before the game that Barea might be able to play four or five minutes in a big game, but only in the unlikely event that Dallas loses both Jason Terry and Harris. And really, that even in that case, Dallas would be able to rely on other, better players (Howard, Buckner) to bring the ball up and then, according to one coach, "Just pass the ball to Dirk.'' (Barea's work in mop-up time Thursday was less than impressive.)

Naturally, I wondered all day how comfortable the Mavs would really be in any third-string PG scenario.

And now we know: Avery Johnson would be more comfortable doing most anything than he would be keeping Anthony Johnson around.

RonMexico
02-23-2007, 12:58 PM
So much talk about a meaningless trade

LEONARD
02-23-2007, 01:04 PM
I always thought he looked kinda fat...

mavsfan1000
02-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Yep Anthony Johnson was a disappointment for Dallas. He could've been different but he just won't change (get in shape) so now he faces the consequences. Getting traded to the Hawks. :lol

LEONARD
02-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Yep Anthony Johnson was a disappointment for Dallas. He could've been different but he just won't change (get in shape) so now he faces the consequences. Getting traded to the Hawks. :lol

the worst punishment an NBA player can face :lol

MajorMike
02-23-2007, 01:52 PM
"one staffer said"
"there are old-time NBA'ers who will always argue that a thick-bodied small guard, once he gets into his 30's, is in constant danger of "losing it.""
"The staff was also disappointed in some occasional behavior things"
"But, a source said, his actions did not match his words"
"I was told before the game"
"according to one coach"
"who I'm told is not an Avery fave, either"
"Because of the respect he's earned from Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson, he is able to win debates on these sort of issues."

My sources, who shall remain unnamed but are close to the source and may just as easily not exist at all tell me this guy is so full of himself that his site should be BS.com. Prove to me that there is one shred of thruth in all this crap. You can't. This guy just wants to hear himself talk.

Shank
02-23-2007, 02:43 PM
He's actually pretty in the know, CaptMike.

LEONARD
02-23-2007, 02:45 PM

Source??

:lol

;)

RonMexico
02-23-2007, 02:50 PM

Are you the unnamed "assitant coach"?

"In the know" my ass

LEONARD
02-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Are you the unnamed "assitant coach"?

"In the know" my ass

So what exactly do YOU know about Mike Fisher???

Flopper
02-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Who's AJ? What has he done?

RonMexico
02-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Who's AJ? What has he done?

Whatever he's done, he's great enough to be called "classy" twice.

Example:
"The classy coach uses terms like 'bear-hug' in press conferences..."

TheMulvany
02-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Whatever he's done, he's great enough to be called "classy" twice.

Example:
"The classy coach uses terms like 'bear-hug' in press conferences..."

Did you know that Anthony Johnson's initials are also AJ? Maybe you figure that out before you go off on a rant about Avery Johnson, and a pretty poor rant at that. wah wah wah. he said bear hug. Holy crap. He didn't bite anyone, did he?

Shank
02-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Fish is around the team more than any other beat writer in Dallas. He talks to a lot of guys and has access to the coaches/players.

For what it's worth, I've heard this story seconded from another media member this afternoon. Now you can question my credibility if you want.

LEONARD
02-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Fish is around the team more than any other beat writer in Dallas. He talks to a lot of guys and has access to the coaches/players.

For what it's worth, I've heard this story seconded from another media member this afternoon. Now you can question my credibility if you want.

CaptMike = OWNED

RonMexico = OWNED

:lol

mabber
02-23-2007, 06:47 PM

I think it's more about the fact that they are more comfortable using Howard or Bucker to bring the ball up the court and start the offense (if JET and Harris got in foul trouble or injured) over Johnson than it is about his attitude and weight. Those might have made the decision easier. Along with the $9+million that they are saving (and getting decent draft pick).

Bottom line...Johnson ended up not being a good fit in their offensive scheme. He's just too slow.

RonMexico
02-24-2007, 03:27 AM
Did you know that Anthony Johnson's initials are also AJ? Maybe you figure that out before you go off on a rant about Avery Johnson, and a pretty poor rant at that. wah wah wah. he said bear hug. Holy crap. He didn't bite anyone, did he?

Anthony Johnson bit someone? Who is your source?

BigBinBigD
02-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Your ridiculous anti-Mav bias is really getting old.

Amarelooms
02-24-2007, 09:52 AM
I think it's more about the fact that they are more comfortable using Howard or Bucker to bring the ball up the court and start the offense (if JET and Harris got in foul trouble or injured) over Johnson than it is about his attitude and weight. Those might have made the decision easier. Along with the $9+million that they are saving (and getting decent draft pick).

Bottom line...Johnson ended up not being a good fit in their offensive scheme. He's just too slow.

No one wants Bucker with the ball in his hands...HE IS AWFUL!!

RonMexico
02-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Your ridiculous anti-Mav bias is really getting old.

Stop right there. Your city's ridiculous anti-Wade bias got old months ago and has reached epic proportions this week.

Mavs fans are second only to LSU fans in their hatred of everything not from their hometown team.

BigBinBigD
02-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Stop right there. Your city's ridiculous anti-Wade bias got old months ago and has reached epic proportions this week.

Mavs fans are second only to LSU fans in their hatred of everything not from their hometown team.

Sorry, not stopping. You've ripped everything to do with the Mavs all year long. From Cuban (deservedly), to Avery, especially to Dirk, to every other player. And now you want to trash a local hack. You have no credibility whatsoever.

As far as Wade, in case you havn't noticed, people all over the country are talking about the ridiculous preferential treatment he gets and his dramatic theatrics.

RonMexico
02-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Sorry, not stopping. You've ripped everything to do with the Mavs all year long. From Cuban (deservedly), to Avery, especially to Dirk, to every other player. And now you want to trash a local hack. You have no credibility whatsoever.

As far as Wade, in case you havn't noticed, people all over the country are talking about the ridiculous preferential treatment he gets and his dramatic theatrics.

In case you haven't noticed, most everyone sided with D-Wade when he said Dirk choked last year in the Finals and didn't step up.

leemajors
02-24-2007, 03:38 PM

don't hacks exist to be trashed?

Fillmoe
02-24-2007, 03:43 PM
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2492/lolavery1nukv9qk4.gif

RonMexico
02-24-2007, 05:23 PM
don't hacks exist to be trashed?

That's what I thought... thankfully I'm not missing something here and it's just another Mavs fan with a stick up his ass.

LEONARD
02-26-2007, 10:04 AM
That's what I thought... thankfully I'm not missing something here and it's just another Mavs fan with a stick up his ass.

He's a beat writer you genius... :lol

MajorMike
02-26-2007, 10:14 AM

Awesome. Prove it.

FromWayDowntown
02-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Marc Stein (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime_070224-25) says the Johnson deal was all about money (and a pick) -- and perhaps not about a personality conflict:

The Mavericks didn't trade away Anthony Johnson because Johnson was unhappy as Dallas' third point guard. Far from it.

Even though Johnson wasn't playing much for the Mavs, he told me before the deadline -- well aware that teams had been calling Dallas for weeks to pry him away -- that he really wanted to stay. Club insiders also say Johnson was a welcome presence in the locker room, despite his struggles to take minutes away from Jason Terry and Devin Harris.

Dallas simply couldn't resist the opportunity to save more than $8 million in future salary and luxury-tax obligations . . . and create a $2.6 million trade exception . . . and take back what should be a pretty decent pick early in the second round of the deep June draft by sending Johnson to the Hawks.

The Mavs acquired Johnson (along with Austin Croshere) in a summertime trade with Indiana, only to learn that Johnson and Terry weren't best buds in Atlanta some years back. But they laughed at those memories in Big D, insisting from the start that a reunion -- with Johnson brought in to add to the Mavs' collective experience after their emotional Finals collapse -- would be no problem.

"We were young in Atlanta," Johnson said earlier this season. "They drafted [Terry], brought him in and were basically grooming him to take over the team. I was part of the last Hawks playoff team, so there was a little bit of a beef at first. But it was easy to put that aside. We're men now. We're all about winning a championship."

Johnson returns to Dallas on Monday with the Hawks. The Mavs also considered trading him for a third big man (to replace the fallen DJ Mbenga) or another shooter -- something they need more than you think -- but the reality is that coach Avery Johnson simply won't play a shooter who can't defend some as well. That's why Dallas had such strong interest in Eddie Jones after Memphis waived him; Jones can still be a defensive factor who's also a threat to make corner 3s.

MajorMike
02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
But he's not around the team and doesn't know anything.

big3bigD
02-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Marc Stein (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime_070224-25) says the Johnson deal was all about money (and a pick) -- and perhaps not about a personality conflict:

This is from another Dallas Morning news beat writer, posted yesterday....

9. We're now hearing stories from other media that AJ was traded for various reasons, not dissatisfaction with him. What's the truth?

There are now 4 stories in the media.

VERSION 1 (FISH) - Avery didnt want him.
VERSION 2 (STEIN) - Mavs couldn't pass up the money/pick.
VERSION 3 (INGRAM) - Mavs needed to clear a roster space for a different trade, one that didnt happen
VERSION 4 (BUCHER) - AJ wanted minutes and asked to be traded.

I dont have any independent verification of the truth or falseness of any of those accounts. But in thinking through the versions LOGICALLY (and in knowing Fish's access to Mavs sources), I really gotta go with Fish's version. Here's why.

First of all, in looking at the fact that there are four yes FOUR versions being reported, you come to the conclusion that someone somewhere is blowing some smoke in a mild coverup of the true story.

The only version that I can see being true, where the Mavs would also toss out red herrings to keep the truth from being told, is Fish's version. Avery wouldn't burn a veteran player - it's just not his style - so if he got rid of one out of displeasure, he's still gonna want to find a way to keep from dissing the player.

Second, if I look at the various options, none really make sense except Fish's.

To believe Stein, you are saying that AJ was doing everything they wanted, and he wanted to be here, but the Mavs took a productive useful player who was their 3rd string insurance policy and got rid of him over MONEY. Money and a future pick was more important than a title run, this says. If the Mavs end up thin at PG, that's not nearly as important as some cash in Cuban's pocket.

I just don't buy that. After all the money he's spent over the years to get a team that can win, with the end now in sight, I dont believe Cuban would jeopardize it with a sudden cash grab. It just doesn't wash.

I do see where the money/pick combo was a nice benefit to making this trade. But if Avery really wanted AJ on this team, don't you think what they can get back becomes irrelevant? The goal on this team is to win this title, not to amass cash or future prospects. If Avery wants him here and sees him as something that may help them win a title, he stays. Instead he's gone.

LEONARD
02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
But he's not around the team and doesn't know anything.

You sure have a knack for commenting on things that you obviously don't have a clue about... :lol

MajorMike
02-26-2007, 01:29 PM
You sure have a knack for commenting on things that you obviously don't have a clue about... :lol

Prove it.

LEONARD
02-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Prove it.

You called out a guy that you had NO CLUE about and he's a beat writer for the Mavs that spends a lot of time with the team...

and any MMA thread that you post in is proof too... :lol

sandman
02-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Second, if I look at the various options, none really make sense except Fish's.

To believe Stein, you are saying that AJ was doing everything they wanted, and he wanted to be here, but the Mavs took a productive useful player who was their 3rd string insurance policy and got rid of him over MONEY. Money and a future pick was more important than a title run, this says. If the Mavs end up thin at PG, that's not nearly as important as some cash in Cuban's pocket.

I just don't buy that.

Was not Stein at one point a Mavs beat writer, or covered the NBA for a Dallas paper? Does he still not live in the DFW area? Why would Stein's contacts and sources be any less credible than Fish's? Not that I care, but it would seem that credibility is an issue in this thread.

MajorMike
02-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Look at me... I'm posting frivolous opinion and banter and making fun of you without any shred of feasible proof to back it up!

I think I'll add a funny face to accentuate my point because that's all I have to offer... :lol

LEONARD
02-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Look at me... I'm posting frivolous opinion and banter and making fun of you without any shred of feasible proof to back it up!

I think I'll add a funny face to accentuate my point because that's all I have to offer... :lol

Wow...ok, forget this thread...are you saying you DO know something about MMA?? Don't bother with an answer...

MajorMike
02-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Oh, look... puppies...

capt mike you are a dummy :lol

Love me for who I am and shut up if you don't like me!

mma rulz! peace out.

Bruno
02-26-2007, 06:24 PM
There are now 4 stories in the media.

VERSION 1 (FISH) - Avery didnt want him.
VERSION 2 (STEIN) - Mavs couldn't pass up the money/pick.
VERSION 3 (INGRAM) - Mavs needed to clear a roster space for a different trade, one that didnt happen
VERSION 4 (BUCHER) - AJ wanted minutes and asked to be traded.

I dont have any independent verification of the truth or falseness of any of those accounts. But in thinking through the versions LOGICALLY (and in knowing Fish's access to Mavs sources), I really gotta go with Fish's version.

Or you can go with the 4 stories :
Avery wasn't a fan of Johnson play/work ethic/atitude so he doesn't give him a lot of playtime. Johnson was qutie disapointed by that and said Mavs' FO that he wasn't against being traded. So Mavs have tested the trade market and they have traded him when they saw an offer that allow them to save money, get a pick and open a roster space for a future trade or for signing an extra big after Mbenga injury.

dallaskd
02-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Johnson didnt like Dallas except for the fact that they were winners. Although the DMN said Anthony was mad about being traded even if it means more playing time.