PDA

View Full Version : OKC Sonics

MajorMike
02-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Ok, so believe it or not, don't care.

Good friend of mine from HS builds upscale homes in Edmond, a nice burb of OKC.

He is building one right now and is contracting to build a 2nd, both of them are from Seattle and claim to be front office types for the Sonics.

To quote the email:

"He says the city that the Sonics picked for the arena wont go for a tax increase. He told me yesterday that everyone up there basicly said "we dont care about the team anymore." He's a lifelong Seattle resident and is pissed quite honestly, but also says its his dream joband isn't willing to give it up.
He said Clay is on TV every once in awhile grandstanding, but the only reason he bought the team was to move it."

Findog
02-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Sounds like one Seattle suburb wants to build the Sonics an arena:

http://www.rentonwa.gov/news/default.aspx?id=9502

The Sonics also announced they'll be back in Seattle next year. Say what you will about Sonics fans, but at least there's a basketball legacy in Seattle and they've drawn well when the team's been good. The Hornets couldn't draw in New Orleans before Katrina and most residents of the city could care less if they don't return from Oklahoma. I think it would be best to have the Sonics stay put and to keep the Hornets in OKC.

Kori Ellis
02-23-2007, 04:44 PM
What's interesting is that the tax increase for the arena in Renton doesn't even have to be approved by the public. The government just needs to decide to extend the taxes that are already in place (for the funding of Safeco, etc).

One thing that I think you are right about is that the people in Seattle just don't care about the Sonics anymore.

Findog
02-23-2007, 06:16 PM
One thing that I think you are right about is that the people in Seattle just don't care about the Sonics anymore.

I think that all started when the Starbucks guy bought the team and ran it into the ground. The Sonics used to be one of the better teams in the league on a fairly consistent basis -- they won a title in the late seventies, and were playoff teams in the X-Man and Kemp eras. I guess it's different in a place like San Antonio where there's only one game in town, but in the multi-team towns you usually have to win to draw. And the Sonics haven't won for quite a while now.