PDA

View Full Version : Rice Rumored To Replace Powell as Sec. Of State

Nbadan
11-15-2004, 04:44 PM
(short article)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - National security adviser Condoleezza Rice emerged as the likely candidate on Monday to replace resigning Secretary of State Colin Powell, Republican sources said.

Rice has been President Bush's national security adviser since Bush took office in January 2001 and has been one of his closest confidantes. She was previously the provost of Stanford University.

Knowledgeable Republican sources described Rice as the likely successor to Powell, whose resignation was announced on Monday. A successor to Powell was not expected to be announced on Monday.

Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml)

She was caught asleep at the wheel during the worst security/intelligence failure in US history. Instead of having her ass canned, she's promoted. This is definitely the "soft bigotry of low expectations," which seems to apply not just to Junior, but to his entire gang. There's no limit to how much you can screw up your duties, as long as you are loyal to Dubya, you keep your job... and even get promoted!

Hook Dem
11-15-2004, 05:44 PM
(short article)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - National security adviser Condoleezza Rice emerged as the likely candidate on Monday to replace resigning Secretary of State Colin Powell, Republican sources said.

Rice has been President Bush's national security adviser since Bush took office in January 2001 and has been one of his closest confidantes. She was previously the provost of Stanford University.

Knowledgeable Republican sources described Rice as the likely successor to Powell, whose resignation was announced on Monday. A successor to Powell was not expected to be announced on Monday.

Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml)

She was caught asleep at the wheel during the worst security/intelligence failure in US history. Instead of having her ass canned, she's promoted. This is definitely the "soft bigotry of low expectations," which seems to apply not just to Junior, but to his entire gang. There's no limit to how much you can screw up your duties, as long as you are loyal to Dubya, you keep your job... and even get promoted!
She was in the back seat Dan! She wasn't driving....Clinton was! Surprise Surprise! :lol

Hook Dem
11-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Go ahead and cry me a river Dan...just heard that she will officially be the replacement. Boo Hoo.

JoeChalupa
11-15-2004, 06:13 PM
So her next step up is President Condi Rice!

Rice vs Clinton in 2008. Whooohoo....a cat fight!

Drachen
11-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Hillary could release the PIMP on Candi, and well then Bill will be happy and Hillary would win (although that would be scary in itself).

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-15-2004, 06:20 PM
There's no limit to how much you can screw up your duties, as long as you are loyal to Dubya, you keep your job... and even get promoted!

Hey, W.'s just trying to appeal to the liberal left. Y'all have been doing this shit for years .

In all seriousness, everything about 9/11 happened before Bush even got to office, only a candy ass liberal would place the blame at the feet of Bush.

Al Qaeda has been at war with us since '92, we just didn't know it until 9/11.

JoeChalupa
11-15-2004, 06:25 PM
It started before '92.

dcole50
11-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I like how the '92 was conveniently mentioned to place blame solely on Clinton, not on any previous president.

SpursWoman
11-15-2004, 07:03 PM

Damn, Dan....I thought ya'll were for affirmative action. But this really doesn't matter, because according to ex, she's just a token black person anyway in an appointed position, not elected...so she won't have any real influence one way or the other....only when it comes to 9/11. That is the only thing she may take credit/criticism for.

Did I get that all straight?

:fro

exstatic
11-15-2004, 07:28 PM
SW - ALL cabinet positions are window dressing, no matter who fills them. I just point that out when you folks get all proud about black involvment in the GOP. Elected any black folks to GOP seats lately?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and yeah, everything bad in the Middle East started in 1992. :rolleyes Don't mention how we armed and created Saddam's war machine under Reagan, or created the Mujahhadin, also under Reagan, and left a huge vacuum in Afghanistan that essentially created al Qaeda.

Yonivore
11-15-2004, 07:48 PM
So her next step up is President Condi Rice!

Rice vs Clinton in 2008. Whooohoo....a cat fight!
And Demoncrats accuse Republicans of discriminatory rhetoric. Stereotyping women is bigotry, Joe. I know, I know, you're a liberal so, it doesn't count.

Cat fight, indeed. Dr. Rice will mop the political floor with Hitlary Clinton.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-15-2004, 08:31 PM
I cite '92 as the beginning because

1) it's when the first WTC plot was put in motion
2) it's when Osama said it started

Sue me.

exstatic
11-15-2004, 11:49 PM
it's when Osama said it started
Osama has frequently maintained that his major beef was "infidel" troops in the sacred land of Islam. They've been there a LOT longer than 1992.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-16-2004, 12:34 AM
Well, he was kinda occupied with that whole Afghanistan thing until '92, it's when it ended and he and his followers were looking for another fight he looked up and saw the USA sitting there.

Osama, as much as he is a ruthless terrorist piece of shit, is a great public relations guy. He's got a couple of themes throughout his speeches over the years that he consistently repeats in order to generate a consistent message to the scum he's trying to rally in the Mideast.

It's one of those "say it enough times, everyone will think it's true."

Osama plays up the "infidel" troops on sacred land bullshit because he's playing to a certain audience, an audience he understands the frustrations and concerns of very well, and knows how to press the buttons of.

Nbadan
11-16-2004, 01:09 AM
SW - ALL cabinet positions are window dressing, no matter who fills them. I just point that out when you folks get all proud about black involvment in the GOP. Elected any black folks to GOP seats lately?

Truer words have never been spoken. Cabinet positions in this administration are there to be yes-men and protect decisions they had no input in making.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-16-2004, 01:10 AM
Cabinet positions in this administration are there to be yes-men and protect decisions they had no input in making

This differs from Cabinet members in any administration for probably the last 50 years in what way exactly?

The role of the Cabinet members in any administration is to be the yes men (and women), or be replaced.

Quit trying to be such a hater Dan, you show your bias.

Nbadan
11-16-2004, 01:15 AM
This differs from Cabinet members in any administration for probably the last 50 years in what way exactly?

In the past, Cabinet level positions have the authority to make decisions based on expertise and research. Not in this White House though, here the decisions are made for them and their job is to help defend that decision and be loyal dogs.

SpursWoman
11-16-2004, 01:22 AM

Actually, I don't know. Race isn't something I use to determine someone's ability to do a job so I wasn't paying much attention to it.

If conservative support by African Americans increases as it apparently did for Bush in this election, I'm sure it won't be long until the larger pool of qualified candidates does produce someone.

What absolutely kills me about your viewpoint on this is that if 82% of African Americans support the Democratic ticket, that leaves only 18% to choose from....and reduce that amount by those who don't have the desire to run for office at all. Maybe it's because conservatives don't generally support affirmative action, but I'm not voting for someone just because of their race so I don't look like a bigot....and I wouldn't vote for a woman just because she's a woman. If they aren't qualified, or I don't agree with their stance on issues that are important to me, they aren't getting my vote. Period. I don't care if they are purple, cross-eyed Eskimos.

Nbadan
11-16-2004, 03:39 AM
Cronyism pays off again..

by kos
Mon Nov 15th, 2004 at 16:40:13 PST

Bush plans to replace Rice as National Security Advisor with Stephen Hadley.
Who is Hadley? He was Condi Rice's deputy -- a prime suspect of the Plame outing, and the guy who took the fall (the blame) for the "yellowcake" reference in Bush's 2003 SOTU address.

Daily Kos (http://www.dailykos.com/)

JoeChalupa
11-16-2004, 08:28 AM
And Demoncrats accuse Republicans of discriminatory rhetoric. Stereotyping women is bigotry, Joe. I know, I know, you're a liberal so, it doesn't count.

Cat fight, indeed. Dr. Rice will mop the political floor with Hitlary Clinton.

Damn Yonivore I never knew you were so sensitive to women considering all the sexual inuendo you throw around. It was a joke okay and I'm sorry if I stepped on a sensitive issue.

Condi Rice has a very impressive resume and can handle herself quite well.

EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you are one to talk with your childish "Hitlary" reference. But I guess it's okay since you are a conservative, err..libertarian..err...hell who knows.

2pac
11-16-2004, 09:35 AM
In the past, Cabinet level positions have the authority to make decisions based on expertise and research. Not in this White House though, here the decisions are made for them and their job is to help defend that decision and be loyal dogs.

Dan - Exactly where do you get your intimate knowledge of classified cabinet meetings, the inner workings of the people within?

Marcus Bryant
11-16-2004, 09:38 AM

Actually you first claimed that the GOP was not welcoming to African-Americans or claimed that it was full of Bull Connors or whatever has become your standard hyperbole at this point.