PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden: Parker's schedule begets bad knee

Bruno
02-24-2007, 05:25 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022407.01C.BKNspurs.parker.11bdc2f.html

Web Posted: 02/23/2007 10:56 PM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

Given two days to recover from his worst shooting performance of the season, Tony Parker figures the odds will be with him tonight, even if his legs aren't.

"It's not going to be hard to do better," Parker said, reflecting on his 3-of-14 shooting performance during Wednesday's victory in Atlanta. "I promise you I'll do better."

Parker will have an easier time making good on his vow if his right knee cooperates. Though the Spurs point guard said he expects to be fine for this evening's game against Seattle, he has been coping with tendinitis in the knee and described the soreness as "up and down."

Parker also was hit on the side of his left knee in the first half against Atlanta, further restricting his lift. He labored noticeably throughout the evening and was often unable to finish shots at the rim.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said the combination of participating in All-Star weekend and playing back-to-back games against Denver and the Hawks may have been too much for Parker.

"I think his legs in general were just shot," Popovich said. "I think it just caught up with him the second night. But he had enough gas in the fourth quarter to get two assists, a jumper and a drive. He was responsible for about eight points there in a two-minute span that really helped us get over the hump."

Parker hopes to contribute more tonight. He said the two days between games benefited him, but admitted he's going to have to be more diligent in taking care of his knee and that includes strengthening his quadriceps.

Parker was initially slowed by tendinitis in the knee near the end of the 2004-05 season.

"It came back, I don't know for whatever reason," Parker said. "I guess a lot of games — stuff like that.

"I'm young, so I'm not very disciplined with the treatments. I'll do it consistently when it hurts. But when it doesn't hurt, that's when I have to stay on it."

Parker spent a month training with France's national team for the World Championships last summer. A broken right index finger prevented him from playing in the tournament, but he said the two-a-day practices he participated in could have contributed to his condition.

"Pop just told me I have to think twice right now if I want to play in the summer with the national team," Parker said. "(The tendinitis) comes early and earlier in the season."

Popovich doesn't think he'll have to limit Parker's minutes, provided he gets enough rest between games.

"As long as we manage it, I think he'll be OK," Popovich said. "He's young enough. If he was 35 or 36 and had that problem, it would be a lot worse, I guess."

Parker's six points against the Hawks matched his low of the season. Manu Ginobili, who scored 40 in the game, said he knew before tipoff that Parker was hurting. Popovich opted to start Jacque Vaughn in place of Parker in the second half.

Vaughn totaled two points, six assists, three rebounds and three turnovers in 23 minutes. He has served as a steady backup to Parker the past seven games, averaging 4.1 points, 3.0 assists and 16.0 minutes while earning Popovich's praise for his leadership and hustle.

Much like former veterans Steve Kerr and Danny Ferry did during their stay with the Spurs, Vaughn prepares the same whether he expects to play 20 minutes or none at all. When he wasn't playing earlier in the season, Vaughn stayed attentive in the huddles and quizzed himself on the team's calls while watching Parker and Beno Udrih run the offense.

"During that time, my process was trying to figure out each individual on the team, on and off the court, their personalities, how can I approach them or how they need to be approached," Vaughn said. "Understanding what the coaches want from me.

"I really take the stance like a backup quarterback where he doesn't get all the snaps with the first unit, but there's a chance he might get called on, so he needs to know the audibles, he needs to know the schemes and he needs to be prepared as a professional."

Parker, meanwhile, is optimistic he'll be able to resume his normal workload tonight.

"Hopefully," he said, "I'll have my legs back and I can have a good game."

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-24-2007, 05:58 AM
"I'm young, so I'm not very disciplined with the treatments. I'll do it consistently when it hurts. But when it doesn't hurt, that's when I have to stay on it."

As long as Parker starts minding himself, sounds like he should be fine.

I like how Parker knew he was hurting, but it didn't let him take him completely out of his game mentally, so he managed to contribute in the 4th. He's really maturing :tu

ploto
02-24-2007, 08:44 AM
"Pop just told me I have to think twice right now if I want to play in the summer with the national team," Parker said. "(The tendinitis) comes early and earlier in the season."

Interesting how the Spurs- who were one of the most supportive of guys playing for their national teams- seem to be saying this more and more.

ChumpDumper
02-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Should he be encouraging Tony to play all summer?

T Park
02-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Its about damn time they did.

The national teams do nothing but run these damn players into the ground.

Fuck the national teams, play for the team that makes you famous, and makes you your damn money.

Clutch20
02-24-2007, 01:37 PM
As long as Parker starts minding himself, sounds like he should be fine.

I like how Parker knew he was hurting, but it didn't let him take him completely out of his game mentally, so he managed to contribute in the 4th. He's really maturing :tu

Well, Tony can't be on top anymore, Eva.
Let's get creative!

v2freak
02-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Its about damn time they did.

The national teams do nothing but run these damn players into the ground.

Fuck the national teams, play for the team that makes you famous, and makes you your damn money.

Agreed, but it comes down to more than money. You forgot that players become better here as a result of different basketball strategies/techniques/plays and level of competition

Bruno
02-24-2007, 01:55 PM
A nba season can be up to 110 games for a player, The nba should stop this nonsense.
I know that more games generate more money but is it worth destroying the health of players ?
Despite tons and tons of injuries this year, the league will do nothing. It's sad, really sad.

dbestpro
02-24-2007, 01:59 PM
A nba season can be up to 110 games for a player, The nba should stop this nonsense.
I know that more games generate more money but is it worth destroying the health of players ?
Despite tons and tons of injuries this year, the league will do nothing. It's sad, really sad.
NBA players have played 82 games per year back to the 50's and 60's. Now all of a sudden the season is too long because of the money made? Now that is sad.

v2freak
02-24-2007, 02:00 PM
At the same time, don't you feel that players, as a result of being in the NBA, are as fit as they'll ever be? Look at Magic and Sir Charles, they've let themselves go. I'm not saying they don't still look fine, but it's doubtful that they'll what they once were.

Bruno
02-24-2007, 02:07 PM
NBA players have played 82 games per year back to the 50's and 60's. Now all of a sudden the season is too long because of the money made? Now that is sad.

Sure a nba game in the 60's is like today nba games. :rolleyes

wildbill2u
02-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Pop just told me I have to think twice right now if I want to play in the summer with the national team," Parker said. "(The tendinitis) comes early and earlier in the season."

Popovich doesn't think he'll have to limit Parker's minutes, provided he gets enough rest between games."

When you're young, you simply don't realize the battering that all that playing on hard courts does to your legs and especially to the knees (cartilege). Then one day you wake up and your knee has no cartilege to cushion the bones.

For Tony to be getting tendonitis this young, he has to be made aware that there is worse to come. And if he can't play the big minutes, he ain't gonna get the big bucks and the national recognition.

I read that Manu has made the decision not to play in the summer for Argentina so maybe it's getting through that he'll be getting less minutes if he's draggin' or subject to injuries because of a heavy playing schedule.