PDA

View Full Version : Oberto terrible defense, Sonics scored 16 of 34pts in the 1st in 6 minutes of Oberto

Spurs Brazil
02-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Oberto in = Sonics 16-8 run
Oberto out and the Spurs finished the 2nd quarter on a 21 - 5 run

The Sonics scored 16 of their 34 1st half pts in 6 minutes of Oberto

Oberto can't play.

1:28 13-27 Fabricio Oberto enters the game for Tim Duncan
1:25 Ray Allen makes 17-foot jumper (Earl Watson assists) 15-27
1:10 15-27 Michael Finley misses 17-foot jumper
1:08 Ray Allen defensive rebound 15-27
0:59 Earl Watson misses 24-foot three point jumper 15-27
0:57 Nick Collison offensive rebound 15-27
0:55 Ray Allen makes 24-foot three point jumper (Nick Collison assists) 18-27
0:39 18-27 Manu Ginobili misses 4-foot running jumper
0:37 Nick Collison defensive rebound 18-27
0:33 18-27 Manu Ginobili personal foul (Ray Allen draws the foul)
0:16 Ray Allen makes 14-foot two point shot 20-27
0:04 20-27 Jacque Vaughn misses 18-foot jumper
0:03 Nick Collison defensive rebound 20-27
0:00 Ray Allen misses 29-foot three point running jumper 20-27
0:00 Seattle offensive rebound 20-27
0:00 End of the 1st Quarter
Start of the 2nd Quarter
11:42 Robert Horry blocks Nick Collison's layup 20-27
11:42 Seattle offensive rebound 20-27
11:36 Nick Collison makes 12-foot jumper (Ray Allen assists) 22-27
11:21 22-27 Robert Horry misses 25-foot three pointer
11:18 Earl Watson defensive rebound 22-27
11:00 Ray Allen misses 9-foot running jumper 22-27
10:57 22-27 Bruce Bowen defensive rebound
10:37 22-27 Jacque Vaughn bad pass (Mickael Gelabale steals)
10:32 Ray Allen misses layup 22-27
10:30 22-27 Jacque Vaughn defensive rebound
10:11 22-29 Fabricio Oberto makes jumper (Manu Ginobili assists)
9:51 Earl Watson makes jumper 24-29
9:30 24-29 Manu Ginobili misses 5-foot running jumper
9:26 Chris Wilcox defensive rebound 24-29
9:22 24-29 Jacque Vaughn personal foul (Ray Allen draws the foul)
9:22 24-29 Tony Parker enters the game for Jacque Vaughn
9:22 24-29 Brent Barry enters the game for Manu Ginobili
9:15 Chris Wilcox makes dunk (Nick Collison assists) 26-29
8:52 26-29 Fabricio Oberto misses 15-foot jumper
8:51 Nick Collison defensive rebound 26-29
8:30 26-29 Bruce Bowen shooting foul (Ray Allen draws the foul)
8:30 26-29 Official timeout
8:30 Ray Allen makes free throw 1 of 2 27-29
8:30 Ray Allen makes free throw 2 of 2 28-29
8:04 28-31 Brent Barry makes 16-foot jumper (Tony Parker assists)
7:48 28-31 Fabricio Oberto shooting foul (Chris Wilcox draws the foul)
7:48 Chris Wilcox misses free throw 1 of 2 28-31
7:48 Seattle offensive rebound 28-31
7:48 28-31 Tim Duncan enters the game for Robert Horry
7:48 Chris Wilcox makes free throw 2 of 2 29-31
7:28 29-33 Bruce Bowen makes 14-foot jumper (Brent Barry assists)
7:09 Ray Allen misses two point shot 29-33
7:07 29-33 Brent Barry defensive rebound
6:47 29-35 Tony Parker makes 16-foot jumper
6:24 Earl Watson misses jumper 29-35
6:22 29-35 Tony Parker defensive rebound
6:16 29-35 Tony Parker bad pass
6:16 29-35 Francisco Elson enters the game for Fabricio Oberto

ducks
02-24-2007, 09:28 PM
it would be nice to see what ely can do we know what oberto can and can not do
so we can see who makes the playoff roster

Spurs Brazil
02-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Anyone remember if the rules changed for the playoffs?

Only 12 players or 12 + 1 on IL?

objective
02-24-2007, 09:51 PM
12 + 1 on IL

Spurs Brazil
02-24-2007, 09:51 PM
12 + 1 on IL

Thanks

SuperManu!!!
02-24-2007, 09:55 PM
IF the sonics make 3p jumpers...it's not oberto's fault. BUt when the points come from the paint, that's another issue. From what i see, most points come from a long shot

ducks
02-24-2007, 09:57 PM
tp was out alot of that time
the other team makes a run when TP SITS

objective
02-24-2007, 10:01 PM
without pouring over what actually happened, Oberto on the court tends to equal zero shot-contesting and unimpressive defensive rebounding.

dbestpro
02-24-2007, 10:37 PM
IF the sonics make 3p jumpers...it's not oberto's fault. BUt when the points come from the paint, that's another issue. From what i see, most points come from a long shot
Those threes were opened because Oberto did not rotate or he needed too much help down low allowing for the kick out. Most of the time he just stood there while rebounds went to Seattle and he played very, very, soft. His fouls even looked like he was playing tag.

SenorSpur
02-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Oberto needs to be on IL as opposed to Ely.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Everyone who has watched a spurs game this year know Oberto is easily the worst Spur to start a game since lord knows when, yet Pop.......still........plays him

Solid D
02-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Worst thread I've seen from Spurs Brazil in a while. Were you basing your assesment on a website live stats feed?

The Sonics guards did most of the scoring during that stretch and that was on outside jumpers. Oberto contested 3 shots and fouled on one of them. His man only scored one FG and that's when he rotated away from Wilcox to stop the dribble drive.

Lame, lame lame premise for this thread.

Oberto is in there to set screens, rebound and play team defense. From what I saw, he was just fine.

BTW, Oberto was on the floor the entire time Manu scored his 24 points against ATL. If you were using your basis for judging Oberto's talent for that 5 minute stretch, Oberto must have been playing well during that run.

Spurs Brazil
02-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Worst thread I've seen from Spurs Brazil in a while. Were you basing your assesment on a website live stats feed?

The Sonics guards did most of the scoring during that stretch and that was on outside jumpers. Oberto contested 3 shots and fouled on one of them. His man only scored one FG and that's when he rotated away from Wilcox to stop the dribble drive.

Lame, lame lame premise for this thread.

Oberto is in there to set screens, rebound and play team defense. From what I saw, he was just fine.

BTW, Oberto was on the floor the entire time Manu scored his 24 points against ATL. If you were using your basis for judging Oberto's talent for that 5 minute stretch, Oberto must have been playing well during that run.

I respect your opinin but I also listened to the game on radio, I got the audio league pass in the beggining of the season.

I think when Oberto is in the game our defense don't play well because Oberto can't contest a shot and can't rotate well

Not only this game but the entire season. I don't know how a guy that could not get minutes last season, even with Nazr/Rasho playing terrible can get minutes now.

Spurs started playing better when Obertos minutes were reduced and I hope we don't see him playing any minutes in the playoffs

Obstructed_View
02-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Is Oberto supposed to be out guarding the three point line? I only see one basket from within the paint during that stretch.

Stupid, stupid thread.

boutons_
02-25-2007, 11:25 AM
It's a "Brazil - Argentina" thing. Futbol may be involved. :lol

itzsoweezee
02-25-2007, 12:00 PM

yup

xamila rey
02-25-2007, 12:06 PM
:blah maybe

MaNuMaNiAc
02-25-2007, 12:11 PM
It's a "Brazil - Argentina" thing. Futbol may be involved. :lolI'm not too fond of Oberto myself, but this post rants for all the wrong reasons.

smeagol
02-25-2007, 12:57 PM
I pointed out last night in the game blog thread that this thread was stupid. SpursBrazil, who dislikes Oberto and has been vocal about it for a long time, posted this same comment.

Spurs Brazil
02-25-2007, 02:04 PM

No way, I love Argentina soccer, Teves was a big star here in my soccer team, Corinthians. Manu and Chapu are among my favorite players

I just think Oberto sucks, like Nene sucks for big part of the season

Bruno
02-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Maybe Spurs Brazil should do a "I hate oberto and udrih, they suck" thread. ;)

Spurs Brazil
02-25-2007, 03:14 PM

I hope they can play better so I can start a thread 'Beno and Oberto are great'

Solid D
02-25-2007, 03:20 PM
To be sure, Oberto can't jump and he's not an outside shooter. He doesn't draw double teams, so naturally, the Spurs offense is different if Timmy's not in there and Oberto is.

Defensively, Oberto doesn't really intimidate as a shock-blocker, but he does keep alert and he does rotate and help quite well. He's also not very physical but he's not soft either. He does set screens well, he's a great passer, he constantly moves without the ball and he instinctively comes toward the ball to help out when the offense has bogged down. He's also great at breaking a zone with his flashes to the open areas. He's a very smart basketball player. The good Lord just didn't give him tons of athleticism.

One thing that Ely can possibly do is provide a physical player who can post up and score with either hand. I can see Melvin and Oberto both helping spot Timmy when he's out of the game, depending on the matchups.

Bruno
02-25-2007, 03:31 PM
I hope they can play better so I can start a thread 'Beno and Oberto are great'

I'm sure you won't. :rolleyes

I guess that everyone on this board has understood what you think about them : half of your posts are Oberto (or Udrih) sucks. Maybe it's time to move on and to speak about something new ?

jaespur21
02-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Oberto is what we thought he was....but i wouldnt go so far 2 say that he sux.

smeagol
02-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Nah, ducks will start that thread way before SB

Spurs Brazil
02-25-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm sure you won't. :rolleyes

I guess that everyone on this board has understood what you think about them : half of your posts are Oberto (or Udrih) sucks. Maybe it's time to move on and to speak about something new ?

You may be right about Oberto but not about Beno.

When the season starts I thought Beno would have a great year. Last season Beno had very good games when NVE was out with an injury.

He had a good rookie season. I don't know why he's playing that bad now.

I'm hard on Beno because I think he can so much better

timvp
02-25-2007, 04:35 PM
I agree that this thread was uncalled for. Oberto didn't have anything to do with that run by the Sonics. It was mostly due to Bowen coming out of the game and Ray Allen taking advantage.

he's a great passer
In theory, I agree. But for some reason, Oberto hasn't brought that aspect to the court consistently enough. Over the last two or three months, it seems like Oberto has been content with making the easy pass rather than the good pass.

And the numbers show that. Francisco Elson, never noted as a good passer, averages more assists (.93) than Oberto (.85) even though Oberto on the season plays more minutes per game.

Oberto has great vision for a center ... but he just hasn't been using it. Even his passes to Manu haven't been that great since the beginning of the season.

Weird.

He's a very smart basketball player. The good Lord just didn't give him tons of athleticism.
Yeah, I was a fan of Oberto since I first saw him play for Argentina like eight years ago, but I'm almost convinced that his lack of athleticism will stop him from ever being a championship quality rotational big.

It's hard to admit that but I've just been unimpressed with Oberto's production on a whole since November. The thing that troubles me most is that Oberto doesn't always look like he brings effort night in and night out. Maybe it's because he's so used to a shorter season, but if Oberto isn't going at 100%, his lack of athleticism really shines thru and he's pretty much invisible on the court.

I've also been a little underwhelmed by Oberto's overall toughness. When he plays for Argentina, he's that team's backbone on both ends of the court and isn't afraid to get physical to stand up for his teammates. On the Spurs, I haven't seen much of that this season. Even last season, Oberto had a couple send-a-message type hard fouls. This season? You'd have to go back to November.

What Oberto does bring to the table for the Spurs is a smart player with big game experience and he's also the team's best bigman at boxing out. The Spurs' rebounding numbers are all way up when he's on the court. And on a team that isn't that great on the boards, that's pretty huge.

But honestly, I wouldn't shed a tear if Ely came in and beat Oberto out of his minutes. Oberto's lack of consistent effort is something that the Spurs couldn't survive in the playoffs. His lack of shotblocking has also become more of a problem since teams are realizing more and more that he's not a threat to block a shot.

Solid D, do you also see a lack of effort out of Oberto on a night to night basis? I see the 100% effort sometimes, but other times it looks like the 82 games is catching up to him. Also, do you agree that Oberto hasn't been using his court vision to his advantage as much as he can and should?

Thaa-aa-a-a-a-anks.

:fro

Solid D
02-25-2007, 09:56 PM
I'd like to see what Melvin Ely can do. He will have to figure out the spacing needed when he's on the floor with Duncan. When he's not out there with Duncan, he will probably be the paired with a Big who can play on the perimeter such as Horry or Bonner.

Oberto is a fairly effective player, especialy when he's out there with Manu. I'm unsure about the answer to your effort question, timvp. I don't see the same intensity night in and night out. He seems to be the touch foul guy. You know, the guy who is there in position but contact gets drawn or it looks like contact is drawn and tweet, "number 7", followed by the surprised look of being a typecast man? It would help if he went for the block earlier in the shot, or the ball slap.

His 5-man contributions and overall player effectiveness on 82games.com looks pretty decent, although not fantastic. http://www.82games.com/0607/0607SAS1.HTM

From a court vision perspective, most of the times he has the ball is on rebounds, dribble hand-offs, pick and pops or the occasional scoring chance off the extra pass. I suppose his outlet passes off defensive rebounds could involve better court vision but it seems he's settled in to a more conservative approach to the rest of his game. No more between the leggers, like he tried last year. It's an interesting question.

RC's Boss
02-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Oberto needs to be on IL as opposed to Ely.
:tu :tu :tu :tu :tu

vanvannen
02-26-2007, 08:59 AM
You may be right about Oberto but not about Beno.

When the season starts I thought Beno would have a great year. Last season Beno had very good games when NVE was out with an injury.

He had a good rookie season. I don't know why he's playing that bad now.

I'm hard on Beno because I think he can so much better

Good for you Spurs Brazil. It's not very usual around here for someone to be bashed about something and admit they might be wrong. :clap :clap

Regarding this thread, I also believe it seems that the effort is not there. Maybe it's the long season as Timvp stated, maybe it's something else, but he needs to be called out pronto.

ra1971
02-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Not to get all arithmetic at you, but doesn't that mean they scored 18 points on 6 minutes without Oberto?