PDA

View Full Version : Elson's Defense Improving

Kent_in_Atlanta
02-25-2007, 12:47 AM
We've been talking about the importance of Elson's defense for months now. The good news is... he's starting to deliver more consistently on that end of the floor.

His stats from tonight's game won't look impressive in the box score, but he was a big factor in helping the Spurs open up their half-time lead.

I watch all the games on NBA League Pass and tonight they picked up the Seattle broadcast. Several times tonight, the Sonics commentators remarked about how impressed they were with Elson's defense.

In limited minutes, Elson blocked 2 shots (only one shows up in the box score, but I'm not sure how that is because I clearly remember 2) and he altered numerous shots in the paint.

He was one of the first guys back on defense in several occasions, including one that trip where Elson cut Ray Allen off and prevented him from getting a fast break lay-up.

"Sisco" was hustling, banging, and altering shots... and he's looked like that most of the time over the past couple weeks. That is a very encouraging sign.

The Spur's defense seems to be ratcheting up, and Elson is a huge part of that.

leemajors
02-25-2007, 12:48 AM
We've been talking about the importance of Elson's defense for months now. The good news is... he's starting to deliver more consistently on that end of the floor.

His stats from tonight's game won't look impressive in the box score, but he was a big factor in helping the Spurs open up their half-time lead.

I watch all the games on NBA League Pass and tonight they picked up the Seattle broadcast. Several times tonight, the Sonics commentators remarked about how impressed they were with Elson's defense.

In limited minutes, Elson blocked 2 shots (only one shows up in the box score, but I'm not sure how that is because I clearly remember 2) and he altered numerous shots in the paint.

He was one of the first guys back on defense in several occasions, including one that trip where Elson cut Ray Allen off and prevented him from getting a fast break lay-up.

"Sisco" was hustling, banging, and altering shots... and he's looked like that most of the time over the past couple weeks. That is a very encouraging sign.

The Spur's defense seems to be ratcheting up, and Elson is a huge part of that.

now he needs to cut down on the silly fouls.

Kent_in_Atlanta
02-25-2007, 12:51 AM
now he needs to cut down on the silly fouls.

Agreed. He has to cut down on the fouls. But overall... great strides forward defensively.

He's not the first guy to come here from a non-defensive-minded team, and take a while to catch on to the defensive scheme. The important thing is that the Spurs play their best basketball in the Spring when it counts.

Cry Havoc
02-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Agreed. He has to cut down on the fouls. But overall... great strides forward defensively.

He's not the first guy to come here from a non-defensive-minded team, and take a while to catch on to the defensive scheme. The important thing is that the Spurs play their best basketball in the Spring when it counts.

Perhaps the most comforting thing about that is the fact that Elson is athletic, and standing about 3 feet away from one of the most complete defenders the NBA has seen in a long time. Personally I would choose not a single player in the league to be on the floor coaching Elson on smart, lane-clogging defense than Timmy.

And also, it really doesn't matter how Elson performs right now. I feel we picked him up to guard one player - Dirk. He and Bowen could make the difference in the playoffs, but not from the offensive end. Elson matches up MUCH better against Dirk than any player we've had, which leaves Bowen free to cover Howard. Perhaps they'll switch at some point, but we don't need Elson OR Bowen to score to win against the Mavs, as long as Elson boards, Bowen grabs a few steals and cuts off easy passes, and they contain Dirk and Howard.

Even if Dirk has a big game or two, we could still win, considering we "let" Amare score consistently in the high 30s/low 40s and still crushed Phoenix two years back. This isn't to say it would be an EASY feat -- I'm just stating that we can allow a player to score big and still win if the rest of our defense steps up.

I really really really hope Pop sets our defense up to not play off their man. If anyone gets into the lane, just make him hit the shot under pressure rather than bringing another player over to double. This wears out our defense and leaves then openopenopen players to pass to.

Kent_in_Atlanta
02-25-2007, 01:15 AM
Perhaps the most comforting thing about that is the fact that Elson is athletic, and standing about 3 feet away from one of the most complete defenders the NBA has seen in a long time. Personally I would choose not a single player in the league to be on the floor coaching Elson on smart, lane-clogging defense than Timmy.

And also, it really doesn't matter how Elson performs right now. I feel we picked him up to guard one player - Dirk. He and Bowen could make the difference in the playoffs, but not from the offensive end. Elson matches up MUCH better against Dirk than any player we've had, which leaves Bowen free to cover Howard. Perhaps they'll switch at some point, but we don't need Elson OR Bowen to score to win against the Mavs, as long as Elson boards, Bowen grabs a few steals and cuts off easy passes, and they contain Dirk and Howard.

Even if Dirk has a big game or two, we could still win, considering we "let" Amare score consistently in the high 30s/low 40s and still crushed Phoenix two years back. This isn't to say it would be an EASY feat -- I'm just stating that we can allow a player to score big and still win if the rest of our defense steps up.

I really really really hope Pop sets our defense up to not play off their man. If anyone gets into the lane, just make him hit the shot under pressure rather than bringing another player over to double. This wears out our defense and leaves then openopenopen players to pass to.

DITTO! We don't want Duncan on Nowitski where he's going to get into foul touble. And as you pointed out... we need Bowen on guys like Josh Howard. The Spurs defense is predicated on having to shot blocking threats in the post. Without a second big man quick enough to guard Nowitski, we only had Duncan guarding the paint... but that was fine by the Mavs. They wanted to go right at Timmy to get him into foul trouble.

Now, we can have Duncan at the center, Elson on Nowitski, and Bowen on Howard. We are far better equiped to match up with the Mavs this year because of Elson.

timvp
02-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Using stats over the last ten games, it looks like Vaughn, Horry, Elson and Bowen have all be playing very good defense lately. It's good to see that Vaughn's defensive energy is turning into results. And yeah, the numbers indicate that perhaps Elson is turning the corner.

Here are points per 48 minutes that opponents have scored against each player over the last ten games:

Vaughn - 78.5
Horry - 79.1
Elson - 83.3
Bowen - 83.8
Duncan - 90.4
Parker - 90.9
Oberto - 93.8
Ginobili - 94.6
Bonner - 95.2
Barry - 96.6
Udrih - 97.1

SenorSpur
02-25-2007, 02:17 AM
DITTO! We don't want Duncan on Nowitski where he's going to get into foul touble. And as you pointed out... we need Bowen on guys like Josh Howard. The Spurs defense is predicated on having to shot blocking threats in the post. Without a second big man quick enough to guard Nowitski, we only had Duncan guarding the paint... but that was fine by the Mavs. They wanted to go right at Timmy to get him into foul trouble.

Now, we can have Duncan at the center, Elson on Nowitski, and Bowen on Howard. We are far better equiped to match up with the Mavs this year because of Elson.

Exactly. One of the most frustrating things about last season's WCSF series versus the Mavs (besides the terrible Manu foul - why Manu why?) was having Bowen switch off back and forth between Howard and Dirk from game to game. It seemed that whichever one he wasn't guarding would to go off. There simply wasn't enough of Bowen to go around - defensively anyway. That's one reason why I too am excited to have Elson on the team. He'll be a FAR better matchup for Dirk than anyone we've had since Malik Rose.

DubMcDub
02-25-2007, 04:05 AM
Exactly. One of the most frustrating things about last season's WCSF series versus the Mavs (besides the terrible Manu foul - why Manu why?) was having Bowen switch off back and forth between Howard and Dirk from game to game. It seemed that whichever one he wasn't guarding would to go off. There simply wasn't enough of Bowen to go around - defensively anyway. That's one reason why I too am excited to have Elson on the team. He'll be a FAR better matchup for Dirk than anyone we've had since Malik Rose.

Good luck with all that. :lol

MannyIsGod
02-25-2007, 04:20 AM
Good luck with what? Elson being a better matchup with Dirk than anyone since Malik? Are you saying someone else was just as good?

Perhaps you should take a moment to realize what your post says, Mav fan.

Fucking idiot.

Cry Havoc
02-25-2007, 05:14 AM

Good luck beating us in 5 as some of your other fans claimed, bitch.

Man... can you imagine the humiliation of these cocky Mavs fans if/when the Spurs take them in 6 or 7 in the WCF?

We'd probably lose about 15% of the readership here from next-day Mavs-fan suicides. Cuban would become bulimic. :lol

ploto
02-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Let's see him cover Bosh first.

ducks
02-25-2007, 10:33 AM
he sure as hell will not have to guard rasho

1Parker1
02-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Using stats over the last ten games, it looks like Vaughn, Horry, Elson and Bowen have all be playing very good defense lately. It's good to see that Vaughn's defensive energy is turning into results. And yeah, the numbers indicate that perhaps Elson is turning the corner.

Here are points per 48 minutes that opponents have scored against each player over the last ten games:

Vaughn - 78.5
Horry - 79.1
Elson - 83.3
Bowen - 83.8
Duncan - 90.4
Parker - 90.9
Oberto - 93.8
Ginobili - 94.6
Bonner - 95.2
Barry - 96.6
Udrih - 97.1

:lol That Magic game alone over-inflated Barry's stats.

GrandeDavid
02-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Good luck with what? Elson being a better matchup with Dirk than anyone since Malik? Are you saying someone else was just as good?

Fucking idiot.

Thank you, Manny! Many of these Mavs fans hang around here simply to agitate and blow shitty takes. I actually find it entertaining when they get upset.

GrandeDavid
02-25-2007, 11:18 AM
And DubMcDub, you are making it very hard not to flash the 3 rings. Very hard. :lol

td4mvp21
02-25-2007, 11:20 AM

I think what he meant was that Elson matches up better...Elson isn't going to stop Dirk but he can at least keep up with him and guard him better than anyone we have.

Kamnik
02-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Udrih was my favourite player and all of us laid hopes on him (Slovenians) but this is just sad... being outplayed by Vaughn

i hope he goes back to Europe because it is just frustrating to see this

on the other side.... i am happy that Vaughn and Elson are turning out okay as Spurs are headed toward april

SenorSpur
02-25-2007, 12:45 PM
I think what he meant was that Elson matches up better...Elson isn't going to stop Dirk but he can at least keep up with him and guard him better than anyone we have.

That's exactly what I meant.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that Elson will be able to shut Dirk down. However if he uses his quickness and length to make him work harder for his shots and rebounds, that will be better than anything else we've been able to throw at him lately.

One thing is certain, Elson WILL beat Dirk down the court every time. Whether that will spell some success for the Spurs will depend upon whether Elson can consistently get cheap, easy, conversion points for the Spurs in transition. Conversely on the other end, whether he can continously rebound and sprint back to help neutralize the Mavs fast break.

Fabbs
02-25-2007, 01:29 PM
21-2 when Elson 20+ minutes.

RC's Boss
02-25-2007, 08:28 PM

Hey man, dude is what, 230lbs. I think that will continue to be a problem. the thing I like about Elson the most is that in the 1st game we played Dallas, we didn't have to play small ball when he was in the game. He's quick enough to stay w/ Dirk. Dirk is a great player and will still get his, but we shouldn't suffer as much in a seven game series on the boards. Now againt Yao... Be afraid, be VERY afraid!

RC's Boss
02-25-2007, 08:32 PM
21-2 when Elson 20+ minutes.
No shit????? Damn that's pretty impressive. Wonder if Pop knows of that stat. He's no Admiral, but we didn't have Tim when David was in his prime. I too am excited about Elson in the playoffs against teams w/ quicker bigs

DubMcDub
02-25-2007, 08:39 PM

Fucking idiot.

No. Im saying that theres a contingent of Spurs fans on here who have been hanging to this "Elson is the key to defending the Mavs" notion since he had a decent (read: decent, not even good) game on opening night, and that such a notion is humorously wishful thinking.

Elson does certainly match up better with Dirk than anyone the Spurs have had in some years. Dirk will still easily score 25+ most games against the Spurs, though, and the idea that Bowen is still capable of doing much to slow Josh Howard is absolutely laughable.

So again, I say, good luck with all that.

Kobulingam
02-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Let's see him cover Bosh first.

Bosh can't be covered. He demands a double team within 1 microsecond of touching the ball.

RC's Boss
02-25-2007, 08:45 PM
No. Im saying that theres a contingent of Spurs fans on here who have been hanging to this "Elson is the key to defending the Mavs" notion since he had a decent (read: decent, not even good) game on opening night, and that such a notion is humorously wishful thinking.

Elson does certainly match up better with Dirk than anyone the Spurs have had in some years. Dirk will still easily score 25+ most games against the Spurs, though, and the idea that Bowen is still capable of doing much to slow Josh Howard is absolutely laughable.

So again, I say, good luck with all that.
I'll say this... The Mavs are an elite team... OKAY. It doesn't mean you guys will beat us in a 7 game series. We are your biggest threat (not the Suns), as you are ours... Hats off to whoever wins :toast

DubMcDub
02-25-2007, 08:47 PM
I'll say this... The Mavs are an elite team... OKAY. It doesn't mean you guys will beat us in a 7 game series. We are your biggest threat (not the Suns), as you are ours... Hats off to whoever wins :toast

I agree with everything you just said. Dont let the absurdly and unnecessarily defensive responses by Spurs fans to some of my posts make you think that I believe otherwise. Mavs have not beaten the Spurs yet and may not--but if they dont, its not going to be because of some scrub like Elson. Its going to be because the Spurs have 3 tremendous superstars on their roster.

Bruno
02-25-2007, 09:00 PM
and the oscar for the most clueless sentence of the day goes to ...

the idea that Bowen is still capable of doing much to slow Josh Howard is absolutely laughable.

jack0fspeed
02-25-2007, 09:10 PM
You think Elson will do better than Haslem?

11 of 17 (65%) for 31 pts, 11 rebs, and 6 assists.

“Make no mistake about it, Dirk played great tonight. I’ll give him that. We’ve been going back and forth since last year. to me, this was probably the first time since last year in Game One that he shot the ball as well as he did. You’ve got to give him his credit, he’s a great player and he’s going to come out and play the game the way it’s supposed to be played. Not only did he make shots, but he made his team better as well by getting six or seven assists out there.”

DubMcDub
02-25-2007, 09:16 PM
and the oscar for the most clueless sentence of the day goes to ...

Maybe you and some other delusional Spurs fans cheering him on the background will be enough to reverse-age Bruce 7 or 8 years and give him the necessary athleticism needed to stay with a Josh Howard who, FYI, is considerably better than last year's version. :lol :lol :lol

RC's Boss
02-25-2007, 09:18 PM
I agree with everything you just said. Dont let the absurdly and unnecessarily defensive responses by Spurs fans to some of my posts make you think that I believe otherwise. Mavs have not beaten the Spurs yet and may not--but if they dont, its not going to be because of some scrub like Elson. Its going to be because the Spurs have 3 tremendous superstars on their roster.
True, but the Spurs have 2 D stoppers, Bruce and Tim... Everything else is predicated on team defense and that is where Elson will make us better against the Mavs. The Mavs are VERY scary b/c they not only are good on offense and defense, but they close games very well this season and are more than capable of coming from behind. Elson just gives us a dimension we didn't have against teams w/ quick bigs. While he's no stopper like Artest or Bowen, he does allow Bowen to play Howard more. No disrepect to Suns fans (then again fuck PHX) but it is going to be a hell of a series. I can't wait, I'm about to piss my pants.... Then again it may be the bottle of Merlot I drank :drunk Truthfully there are two teams that scare me as a Spurs fan... Dallas #1 and Houston b/c they are not at full strength and still play awesome D. The Lakers are a distant 3rd. While their team ain't all that... KOBE IS A KILLER!

RC's Boss
02-25-2007, 09:20 PM
You think Elson will do better than Haslem?

11 of 17 (65%) for 31 pts, 11 rebs, and 6 assists.

“Make no mistake about it, Dirk played great tonight. I’ll give him that. We’ve been going back and forth since last year. to me, this was probably the first time since last year in Game One that he shot the ball as well as he did. You’ve got to give him his credit, he’s a great player and he’s going to come out and play the game the way it’s supposed to be played. Not only did he make shots, but he made his team better as well by getting six or seven assists out there.”
I think Elson allows other players to focus on the rest of the team, which does make a huge difference.

td4mvp21
02-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Maybe you and some other delusional Spurs fans cheering him on the background will be enough to reverse-age Bruce 7 or 8 years and give him the necessary athleticism needed to stay with a Josh Howard who, FYI, is considerably better than last year's version. :lol :lol :lol

:wtf? Bowen did an excellent job on Howard for the most part last meeting. I don't know where your getting this from.

jack0fspeed
02-25-2007, 09:36 PM
I think Elson allows other players to focus on the rest of the team, which does make a huge difference.

Your talk kind of reminds me of when Gerald Wilkins was going to be the "Jordan stopper". Hey ... Diop had a few good minutes against Duncan in last year's playoffs. Maybe he's a Duncan stopper?!?

If Haslem (an actual basketball player) can't stop Dirk, how's a scrub like Elson going to do it?

ace3g
02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
well Haslem and Posey did a good enough job on Dirk in the Finals, or did you mav fans forget about that

jack0fspeed
02-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Actually I didn't forget about it. That's why I noted the improvement.

Two years ago someone named Ryan Bowen slowed Dirk down. Then he learned how to tear up smaller defenders.

Miami put a bigger defender on him and helped with Mourning and Shaq when Dirk put the ball on the floor. This year, Dirk has added passing to his game to keep that from happening.

RC's Boss
02-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Your talk kind of reminds me of when Gerald Wilkins was going to be the "Jordan stopper". Hey ... Diop had a few good minutes against Duncan in last year's playoffs. Maybe he's a Duncan stopper?!?

If Haslem (an actual basketball player) can't stop Dirk, how's a scrub like Elson going to do it?
If you read my previous posts you would see I never said he was a "Dirk" stopper, I said he allows us not to play small ball :donkey Some Spurs fans do it too, don't get me wrong, but if you post comments, it comes off a lot better if you give commentary that actually has to do w/ the conversation :wtf :madrun

leemajors
02-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Actually I didn't forget about it. That's why I noted the improvement.

Two years ago someone named Ryan Bowen slowed Dirk down. Then he learned how to tear up smaller defenders.

Miami put a bigger defender on him and helped with Mourning and Shaq when Dirk put the ball on the floor. This year, Dirk has added passing to his game to keep that from happening.

mcgrady defended dirk way better than anyone that year.

jack0fspeed
02-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Your quote was

I think Elson allows other players to focus on the rest of the team, which does make a huge difference

Which implies that Elson is going to single-cover Dirk. So if he's not a Dirk-stopper, he must be a Dirk-torchee?

Is that your strategy? Put a warm body out there to get smoked?

Cry Havoc
02-26-2007, 01:41 AM
Your quote was

Which implies that Elson is going to single-cover Dirk. So if he's not a Dirk-stopper, he must be a Dirk-torchee?

Is that your strategy? Put a warm body out there to get smoked?

Obviously Elson isn't going to be able to stop Dirk all the time.

Hey... speaking of which.... you know of anyone on your team with a hope or a prayer of guarding Duncan? I thought not. :lol

timvp
02-26-2007, 01:44 AM
Your talk kind of reminds me of when Gerald Wilkins was going to be the "Jordan stopper".

:lol @ trying to compare Dirk to Jordan. Dirk has choked in every playoffs he's played in. It's just a matter of time.

Before Mav Fan starts trying to compare stopping Dirk to stopping Jordan, Dirk should have to play well throughout one entire playoff run.

Cry Havoc
02-26-2007, 02:43 AM
:lol @ trying to compare Dirk to Jordan. Dirk has choked in every playoffs he's played in. It's just a matter of time.

Before Mav Fan starts trying to compare stopping Dirk to stopping Jordan, Dirk should have to play well throughout one entire playoff run.

:toast :lol

DubMcDub
02-26-2007, 03:35 AM
Obviously Elson isn't going to be able to stop Dirk all the time.

Hey... speaking of which.... you know of anyone on your team with a hope or a prayer of guarding Duncan? I thought not. :lol

No, but we're quite content with letting Duncan's primary hindrance be the rest of the Spurs roster (outside of the big 3). :lol