PDA

View Full Version : One Dallas Sportwriter's View on our Team

SenorSpur
02-25-2007, 12:31 PM
I came across this in the Sunday edition of our local Dallas Morning News. David Moore is a long-time, respected sports columnist for the paper. Here is his take on the outlook for our Spurs. Nothing that we didn't already know.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/dmoore/stories/022507dnspomoore.ef3e60.html

It's over for Spurs, but all is not lost

It's too early for a concession speech.

William B. Travis never got around to one. Why would Gregg Popovich?

Still, it's got to be a strange feeling. A San Antonio team that picks up division titles the way most people pick up loose change on the sidewalk enters the stretch run 8½ games behind the Mavericks.

We want to warn our South Texas neighbors of the graphic, somewhat shocking nature of our next comment. Here it goes: The Spurs will not win the Southwest Division. The Mavericks are too good and the Spurs are too far behind to close the gap.

If we're wrong, we'll gladly jump in the muddy-watered Riverwalk with Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

"We'll be fine," point guard Tony Parker assured. "You can't be first place every year. We just have to keep improving and make sure we stay healthy."

You would expect Parker to say everything is fine. He's engaged to Eva Longoria. But what do the rest of the Spurs think about their largest division deficit in the Tim Duncan era?

"It's not disappointment." Duncan said. "It's our own fault. We've put ourselves in that position. We started the year pretty solid and we went through a really bumpy stretch there.

"With Dallas and Phoenix playing so well and Utah playing so well, we put ourselves in a tough situation. But we're still in the running for everything, so we're fine with where we are."

Don't believe it. The Spurs accept where they are in the standings, but they're not fine with it. A team doesn't win three titles in a seven-year span by being indifferent to its place in the standings.

We know what San Antonio hasn't been this season. But in the last few weeks, the players believe they have shown signs of the team they intend to become.

The Spurs have a five-game winning streak, allowing just 82 points in those games. San Antonio got an impressive road win in Detroit and blasted Denver in its first game after the All-Star break, prompting Duncan to say his team is "turning the corner."

The next night, the Spurs beat Atlanta when Manu Ginobili scored 24 consecutive points in less than five minutes. Ginobili averaged 22 points, five rebounds and shot 56 percent from the field during those four games.

All of that is positive. But nagging concerns remain.

Bruce Bowen is in decline. Blame a bad back or advancing age – or both – but the forward isn't the lock-down defender he has been in recent years and his shot is off. Bowen was 9-of-43 from 3-point range in the 14 games leading to the break.

Parker has tendinitis in his right knee.

Robert Horry doesn't have much left.

Francisco Elson will go for 12 points and 18 rebounds against Detroit, then come out and pick up five fouls in 12 minutes against Atlanta.

Michael Finley and Brent Barry are nice offensive players who have softened San Antonio's defensive edge on the perimeter.

None of this means the Spurs should be dismissed. They should be a top-four seed and remain capable of winning a title if things break their way.

"We'll be ready when the playoffs come," Parker said.

The thing is, that's all the Spurs have to play for at this stage.

The division is lost.

FromWayDowntown
02-25-2007, 12:35 PM
I wonder if Dallas City Council will revive those parade plans when the Mavericks clinch the Southwest Division. I also wonder if Cuban will wait to hang his Southwest Division Champions banner until the third home game of 2007-08.

rayray2k8
02-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Screw it, lets just give the rings to the mavs. :rolleyes :lol
They're doubting the spurs again.. Which is a good thing. :smokin

SenorSpur
02-25-2007, 12:45 PM
I wonder if Dallas City Council will revive those parade plans when the Mavericks clinch the Southwest Division. I also wonder if Cuban will wait to hang his Southwest Division Champions banner until the third home game of 2007-08.

Ouch! That's a TOUCHDOWN! :elephant

objective
02-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Michael Finley and Brent Barry are nice offensive players who have softened San Antonio's defensive edge on the perimeter.

lol, Finley was a nice offensive player. Was.

pking
02-25-2007, 12:54 PM
If you listened to Dallas Sports radio, you'd know that most of the sports people down here don't feel that way. Brian Esteridge is Randy Galloways 'sidekick' and he seems to think the Spurs aren't to be feared, but Galloway is sure to tell him how stupid he is. Mark Followill, Chuck Cooperstein, Jen Engle -- they all know that the Spurs are still to be feared and they let the people who say otherwise know that they're stupid...lol

Most Mavs fans who say they aren't scared of the Spurs are either lying and trying to talk big or they're just plain stupid and don't know jack about the NBA.

boutons_
02-25-2007, 12:58 PM
But nobody can deny that Mavs' current season win rate is 70-12, in what was supposed to be a very tough WC.

Mavs even have a shot at the MJ Bulls' record of 72-10.

Who is counting on the Mavs, on a mission after collapsing last June, stepping DOWN in the playoffs?

The Spurs, who have also recently folded after being 2-0 in a playoff series, will have a huge step UP in the playoffs just to be competitive.

"The division is lost."

So this kicker is the point of the article?

The Mavs have won a scheduling artifice championship with 2 months left in the season? BFD.

SenorSpur
02-25-2007, 01:10 PM

Moore does make salient points as to one of the reasons the Spurs once-vaunted perimeter defense has diminished - rule changes notwithstanding.

objective
02-25-2007, 01:16 PM
i agree that Finley and Barry play a big part in the diminished perimeter defense, I'm just saying that Moore is looking too much on the brightside for the Spurs.

Finley is no longer a good offensive player. He has one thing he can do on offense, and that's brick jumpshots.

So by making that mistake I think Moore is overrating the Spurs.

GrandeDavid
02-25-2007, 01:16 PM
I came across this in the Sunday edition of our local Dallas Morning News. David Moore is a long-time, respected sports columnist for the paper. Here is his take on the outlook for our Spurs. Nothing that we didn't already know.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/dmoore/stories/022507dnspomoore.ef3e60.html

Still, it's got to be a strange feeling. A San Antonio team that picks up division titles the way most people pick up loose change on the sidewalk enters the stretch run 8½ games behind the Mavericks.

We want to warn our South Texas neighbors of the graphic, somewhat shocking nature of our next comment. Here it goes: The Spurs will not win the Southwest Division. The Mavericks are too good and the Spurs are too far behind to close the gap.

If we're wrong, we'll gladly jump in the muddy-watered Riverwalk with Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

"We'll be fine," point guard Tony Parker assured. "You can't be first place every year. We just have to keep improving and make sure we stay healthy."

You would expect Parker to say everything is fine. He's engaged to Eva Longoria. But what do the rest of the Spurs think about their largest division deficit in the Tim Duncan era?

"It's not disappointment." Duncan said. "It's our own fault. We've put ourselves in that position. We started the year pretty solid and we went through a really bumpy stretch there.

"With Dallas and Phoenix playing so well and Utah playing so well, we put ourselves in a tough situation. But we're still in the running for everything, so we're fine with where we are."

Don't believe it. The Spurs accept where they are in the standings, but they're not fine with it. A team doesn't win three titles in a seven-year span by being indifferent to its place in the standings.

We know what San Antonio hasn't been this season. But in the last few weeks, the players believe they have shown signs of the team they intend to become.

The Spurs have a five-game winning streak, allowing just 82 points in those games. San Antonio got an impressive road win in Detroit and blasted Denver in its first game after the All-Star break, prompting Duncan to say his team is "turning the corner."

The next night, the Spurs beat Atlanta when Manu Ginobili scored 24 consecutive points in less than five minutes. Ginobili averaged 22 points, five rebounds and shot 56 percent from the field during those four games.

Bruce Bowen is in decline. Blame a bad back or advancing age – or both – but the forward isn't the lock-down defender he has been in recent years and his shot is off. Bowen was 9-of-43 from 3-point range in the 14 games leading to the break.

Francisco Elson will go for 12 points and 18 rebounds against Detroit, then come out and pick up five fouls in 12 minutes against Atlanta.

None of this means the Spurs should be dismissed. They should be a top-four seed and remain capable of winning a title if things break their way.

The division is lost.

I could care less about division titles. This guy harks on meaningless division titles cuz its the only title, next to the WCF last year, that Dallas has won. I could care less about it, honestly, and the Spurs actually DON'T care about it either, columnist. They've won many championships and God knows how many of those Midwest and Southwest division titles, which are worth squat.

BUMP
02-25-2007, 01:19 PM

ok

mavs>spurs2
02-25-2007, 01:22 PM
He's right. The spurs hope for the division title is gone but they could still potentially win it all.

JsnSA
02-25-2007, 01:49 PM
We'll be ready when the playoffs come," Parker said.

The division is lost.

This part actually made me laugh.

He says it like its an insult..."thats all the Spurs have to play for at this stage."

The fact of the matter is that for a team like the Spurs the Playoffs are all that really matters. Seeding helps but its the best team at the end of the season that will win it all.

The Spurs are playing for a Championship...not a division title.

But I guess I can understand how Mav's fans would get excited about one since they have rarely ever had one.

FromWayDowntown
02-25-2007, 01:49 PM
He's right. The spurs hope for the division title is gone but they could still potentially win it all.

Which is all that matters.

mavs>spurs2
02-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Which is all that matters.

Exactly. My point is that no one is counting the spurs out just yet.

jack0fspeed
02-25-2007, 02:24 PM
The bad part of losing the division is that you have to go through both the Suns and the Mavs. That's a tough road no matter how you slice it.

Russ
02-25-2007, 02:29 PM
If they meet, the Spurs will beat Dallas in the playoffs this year for three reasons.

1. The revenge factor (Dallas, given their history, has never seen this before)

2. Elson

3. It will be in the WCF (not early enough to catch the Spurs looking ahead)

mavsfan1000
02-25-2007, 02:33 PM
The bad part of losing the division is that you have to go through both the Suns and the Mavs. That's a tough road no matter how you slice it.
Yeah true. The rockets/jazz and suns/spurs isn't that easy either though.

mavsfan1000
02-25-2007, 02:34 PM
If they meet, the Spurs will beat Dallas in the playoffs this year for three reasons.

2. Elson

:lol

J.T.
02-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Like I've said before, Mavfans love their consolation prizes. That's all a division title is.

RussN
02-25-2007, 02:40 PM
I could care less about division titles. This guy harks on meaningless division titles cuz its the only title, next to the WCF last year, that Dallas has won. I could care less about it, honestly, and the Spurs actually DON'T care about it either, columnist. They've won many championships and God knows how many of those Midwest and Southwest division titles, which are worth squat.

DALLAS MAVERICKS FRANCHISE FACTS:
Founded: 1980
Stadium: American Airlines Center
Conference: Western Conference
Division: Southwest Division
Rivals: San Antonio Spurs
Owners: Mark Cuban
Coach: Avery Johnson
Mascot: Mavs Man
Dancers: Mavs Dancers
Notable Players: Alex English, Steve Nash
Dallas Mavericks Championship Titles: 0
Dallas Mavericks Conference Titles: 1
Dallas Mavericks Division Titles: 1

Hey Mavs fans and writers...Enjoy that ONE conference and ONE Division title(in all of mavs history). I think the city of Dallas should give the Mavs a championship parade for winning their Second division title this year since it is so RARE. The Spurs have so many division titles they have to put them all in small print on a banner hanging in the AT&T center, oh wait, now we have started on our second banner with division titles on it...the first one is full.

jack0fspeed
02-25-2007, 02:44 PM
The rockets/jazz and suns/spurs isn't that easy either though

There's no easy road in the West. But you definitely want the Jazz path. They are ranked 22 in defensive efficiency:

http://www.knickerblogger.net/stats/2007/index.htm

You also get to start with the 8 seed which is looking like Minny or NO at the moment. That's important because you want to win that first round series as quickly as possible.

td4mvp21
02-25-2007, 02:49 PM
If the Spurs are to win the championship, I want them to have the tough road. I don't want them to have it easy.

jeffdrums22
02-25-2007, 02:55 PM

The division is lost.

Oh wow, THAT'S ALL the Spurs have to play at this stage, the championship? Oh no, we lost the division title so now all we can do is play for the championship!

Another Dallas writer who thinks winning the 2nd round last year equals a championship for Dallas.

Bruno
02-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Spurs need to get the 3rd seed to avoid Houston or Utah in the first round.
If Spurs can get the 3rd seed, they won't have a playoff road worse than Mavs.

Spurs will face the 6th seed in the first round who won't really be tougher than the 8th one.
Spurs will face Phoenix (if they win in the first round) in the second round while Mavs will face Houston and I'm not sure that a healthy Rockets team is easier to face than Suns.

GrandeDavid
02-25-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure how many division titles the Spurs have one in franchise history, but I would guess that its exponentially more than Dallas. But, really, who cares? Will any fan remember a few years into the future exactly which years their teams won division titles? I don't have the time or interest to even look it up.

Ockham
02-25-2007, 03:05 PM
"We'll be ready when the 1st quarter of the Super Bowl starts," Manning said.
The thing is, that's all the Colts have to play for at this stage.
The coin toss is lost.

jack0fspeed
02-25-2007, 03:08 PM

If the playoffs ended today, and assuming the favorites won here's how it would go:

1st round
Mavs v Denver
Phoenix v NO
Spurs v LA
Utah v Houston

2nd round
Mavs v Utah
Phoenix v Spurs

So, the choice is between Utah/Houston or Phoenix. I would definitely take Houston or Utah. That first round matchup with LA is potentially a toughie too. I don't think you want to play Kobe in the first round.

stretch
02-25-2007, 03:09 PM
They're doubting the spurs again.. Which is a good thing. :smokin
who said the Mavs are doubting the Spurs? its one thing for fans and writers to doube the Spurs, but the Mavs are by no means doubting the Spurs. im sure every player on that team would agree that the Spurs are going to be their toughest opponent in the playoffs, even tougher than the Suns. the Mavs are much more focused than you give them credit for. they are far more hungry for the title than any team in the NBA.

SAGambler
02-25-2007, 03:16 PM

Guess he missed those three threes last night, along with some pretty tenacious D.

Maybe Robert can only bring it every other game, especially in back to backs, but I would exactly write him off as a has been just yet.

Bruno
02-25-2007, 03:17 PM
I
So, the choice is between Utah/Houston or Phoenix. I would definitely take Houston or Utah.

You underestimate Houston (if they are healthy, they will beat Utah).
You've said that Utah was easy because they are rankedd 22 in defensive efficiency, Guess who is first in this ranking ?

That first round matchup with LA is potentially a toughie too. I don't think you want to play Kobe in the first round.

I don't think you want to play Melo/Iverson in the first round. :rolleyes
and it's not sure that lakers will have the 6th seed at the end of the season : they have struggled a lot lately.

jack0fspeed
02-25-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't think you want to play Melo/Iverson in the first round.
and it's not sure that lakers will have the 6th seed at the end of the season : they have struggled a lot lately.

If Denver is still in the 8-hole at the end of the season, that means they never got it together.

LA may struggle, but they still have Kobe. He can win one or two games all by himself.

edit:

You underestimate Houston (if they are healthy, they will beat Utah).
No I think they are both about the same. One is deficient on offense and the other is deficient on defense. Houston is #1 in defensive efficiency and #16 in offensive efficiency.

I know they may get better when Yao comes back. But I'd still rather play them than the Suns

Bruno
02-25-2007, 03:27 PM
LA may struggle, but they still have Kobe. He can win one or two games all by himself.

Denver may struggle, but they still have Melo and AI. They can win one or two games all by themselves. :spin

objective
02-25-2007, 03:28 PM
he's pretty much right about Horry.

Horry has been awful in the playoffs three of the last four postseasons.

Chances for him performing in 07 postseason like he did in 05 aren't very high.

jack0fspeed
02-25-2007, 03:32 PM
The Nuggets are horrible defending the paint. I don't think they'll win no matter who they play.

1Parker1
02-25-2007, 03:48 PM
:lol That's a bad article. It comes off as sounding like the writer actually believes not only that the Spurs care that they won't win the SouthWest division, but also that winning the SW division is an automatic guarantee that the Mavs will beat the Spurs in the playoffs. I would think that if the Mavs and its fans and writers learned anything from last season it's that nothing is guaranteed in the playoffs. It's a whole other season that starts.

Mavs didn't win the SW division last season and still made it to the Finals. Spurs had the best record in the West last season and won the SW division, but it didn't help them any in the postseason. So it's all a circular argument.

infinite styles
02-25-2007, 03:53 PM
I may be wrong but weren't the Spurs 8 games behind the Mavs in either 03 or 05 following the break and ended up winning the division? I don't feel that the Spurs will win the division this year but I doubt that that is a pre-cursor to whats going to happen in the playoffs. And yeah playing for a championship is way more important than winning a division title.

DubMcDub
02-25-2007, 03:53 PM

2. Elson

..... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

SenorSpur
02-25-2007, 03:56 PM
I may be wrong but weren't the Spurs 8 games behind the Mavs in either 03 or 05 following the break and ended up winning the division? I don't feel that the Spurs will win the division this year but I doubt that that is a pre-cursor to whats going to happen in the playoffs. And yeah playing for a championship is way more important than winning a division title.

That's correct. It was in '03.

DubMcDub
02-25-2007, 03:58 PM

Good call comparing the current situation to a Mavs team with a different coach and a pretty different set of players.

jaespur21
02-25-2007, 04:02 PM

thats expected its the playoffs. but these Spurs have been through tougher tournaments goin thru phx. "laker dynasty" and the mavs in 03

infinite styles
02-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Good call comparing the current situation to a Mavs team with a different coach and a pretty different set of players.

I don't recall comparing the Mavs of 03 to the Mavs this year. I'm just making a point that you still play the games. To make a statement like "thats all they have to play for at this time" is pretty dumb considering that just about every team is the league is one injury or bad stretch from becoming average. Don't worry your Mavs will probably win the division but hopefully they won't take the mentality of some of their writers and fans and keep playing. :toast

GrandeDavid
02-25-2007, 04:11 PM
A business associate and friend of mine in Miami, and season ticket holder to the Heat, told me on Saturday after I offered my condolensces regarding Wade's injury, meaning that our agreed on plan of attending together each Heat vs. Spurs Finals game, should they end up facing each other, was up in smoke.

I'm more humble in my expectations, but it was funny how he said that Dallas is a regular season winner, but playoff soft choker. He said he thinks San Antonio is basically gonna win it all. I was like "but Dallas has Avery at the helm, has a deep roster...." He was like "I repeat, they are regular season winners, playoff chokers."

Now, this is just one fan's opinion, but it is a diehard Heat fan who also contributes to various Heat charities, so he knows intimately ownership and most of the players worth knowing. Its not like he's some teenaged scrub blowing out smack just to get a rise.

I thought that was pretty harsh and funny. I told him I'd post his comments a Spurs fan forum. So here it is. Heat it up, serve it and eat it Mavs fans. :lmao

jaespur21
02-25-2007, 04:15 PM
yup...i believe the stat was First team to go up 2-0 in the finals and not get a championship parade

jack0fspeed
02-25-2007, 04:21 PM
"I repeat, they are regular season winners, playoff chokers."

Unless someone gets hurt, the Spurs will be the ones questioning whether they can beat the Mavs this year. They Mavs already know they can beat the Spurs in game 7 on the road.

At least your buddy will have a good excuse why the Heat didn't win it this year. He was going to need one anyway.

GrandeDavid
02-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Okay, I'll stop stoking the fire. In all seriousness, I think regular season division titles are ultimately meaningless, but I do not deny that Dallas is the favorite to win it all.

GrandeDavid
02-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Unless someone gets hurt, the Spurs will be the ones questioning whether they can beat the Mavs this year. They Mavs already know they can beat the Spurs in game 7 on the road.

At least your buddy will have a good excuse why the Heat didn't win it this year. He was going to need one anyway.

I hear ya. I just thought it was kind of funny because he's all business then suddenly, adamantly was like "no way the Mavs will beat the Spurs again. No way...they are regular season winners, playoff soft chokers."

But you are right. Mavs have scoreboard because they beat San Antonio last year.

SenorSpur
02-25-2007, 04:30 PM
yup...i believe the stat was First team to go up 2-0 in the finals and not get a championship parade

Not exactly. The Philadelphia 76ers did the same thing during the 1977 NBA Finals versus the Portland Trailblazers. They streaked out to a 2-0 lead heading back to Portland. The Blazers regrouped and swept the next four.

George Gervin's Afro
02-25-2007, 04:32 PM
So what's the big deal? I assume he is on the parade planning committee.. :lol

jack0fspeed
02-25-2007, 04:33 PM
My family is back east and they say the same stuff. It's called East Coast bias.

They know the Spurs can play because they have some skins on the wall. Until Dallas wins a title, no one east of the Mississippi will think much of them. And why should they?

timvp
02-25-2007, 04:45 PM
The division is lost.

:lmao @ Division smack

Dave McNulla
02-25-2007, 09:23 PM
it don't mean a thing if you don't get that ring, do wap do wap do wap do wap do wap

LilMissSPURfect
02-26-2007, 11:36 AM
One Dallas Sportwriter's View on our Team ! :blah

Clutch20
02-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Most people posting here get it wrong.
Making 1st in their division and conference means alot to
those in the the Mavs organization.
So they're gonna end up hanging those banners and posing
for pictures taken next to them and parade those banners
around Dallas and wrap themselves up in those banners
and sell commemorative cups, calendars, towel sets, bus benches
adorned with those banners, telephone pole banners, airplane
high-in-the-sky banners and for sure, let's not forget
MCube's personalized licensed plates. :spin

Jimcs50
02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Spurs have never won the title w/o winning the division.

They will not win it this year either. I am fine with that.

Dallas is a lock.

LilMissSPURfect
02-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Spurs have never won the title w/o winning the division.

They will not win it this year either. I am fine with that.

Dallas is a lock.

Time to change that ehy? Keep up the optimism...

mabber
02-26-2007, 01:46 PM
If Spurs can get the 3rd seed, they won't have a playoff road worse than Mavs.

Spurs will face the 6th seed in the first round who won't really be tougher than the 8th one.
Spurs will face Phoenix (if they win in the first round) in the second round while Mavs will face Houston and I'm not sure that a healthy Rockets team is easier to face than Suns.

I'd rather the Mavs face the Suns than a healthy Rockets team.

Dalhoop
02-26-2007, 07:27 PM
So he writes that the Mavs have all but won the Division, and that the Spurs are a threat in the playoffs .... This is a knock on the Spurs in what way?

It should be noted the time the artical was written .. All-Star weekend .... Nothing worthwhile to talk about.

Facing the Rockets is a hit or miss proposition. Will they be healthy? Maybe ... Maybe not.

The Suns on the other hand ... They will just be dangerous, however, last year they ran out of gas in the WCF, both Nash and Marion admitted that they were exausted after the season of running and then the playoffs.

This year is shaping up the same way .. The minutes that the Suns are piling on their top six players tends to lead me to think that they will run out of gas again. I think the Suns in a late round would be an easier match-up then an early match-up with the Rockets.

Of course the Jazz shouldn't be overlooked.

GrandeDavid
02-26-2007, 07:36 PM
One Dallas Sportwriter's View on our Team ! :blah

I remember that quote from Horry. Devastatingly true! :lol

whottt
02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Just to put an end to the division title smack once and for all...

The NBA has been around in one form or another for 61 years...in that time only 2 teams have won more division titles than the Spurs...they are of course, the Boston Celtics and the Lost Angeles Lakers.

Boston and LA = 60 years of existence and counting
San Antonio Spurs = 30 years of NBA existence and counting.

The numbers are...

LA - 27 Division Titles
Boston - 24 Division Titles
San Antonio Spurs - 15 Division Titles
Dallas Mavericks - 1 Division Title

San Antonio in the NBA for 30 years = 15 division titles
Dallas Mavericks in the NBA for 27 years = 1 division title :lmao

SINCE the Spurs entered the NBA no team has won more division titles than they have...

Big deal.

The Spurs don't even pay attention to the division title...they could care less about it. They don't even put individual banners up for winning them any more.

The fact that this guy makes such a big deal about the division title should embarrass MavFan....it's shows just how much of a bitch the Mavs have been during their 27 year history.

If I were Mav fan I'd bury any division title talk...

Kings and TWolves also thought they were the shit when they won a division title, they celebrated more than the Spurs do when they win a title...where are they now?

GrandeDavid
02-26-2007, 07:57 PM
That is actually a pretty damn phenominal track record for a team based in small market San Antonio. Nice post, Whottt!

Russ
02-26-2007, 08:36 PM

The NBA has been around in one form or another for 61 years...in that time only 2 teams have won more division titles than the Spurs...they are of course, the Boston Celtics and the Lost Angeles Lakers.

The numbers are...

LA - 27 Division Titles

SINCE the Spurs entered the NBA no team has won more division titles than they have...

In addition, the Spurs have the third best all time winning percentage in the NBA behind only the Lakers and Celtics.

And the Spurs have only missed the playoffs 4 times in the 30 years they've been in the NBA.

But Dallas must have more than one division title. Harper and Aguirre only won one?

whottt
02-26-2007, 09:05 PM
In addition, the Spurs have the third best all time winning percentage in the NBA behind only the Lakers and Celtics.

I appreciate the back up...

But the Spurs are now #2 All Time in winning %...they passed Boston.

And the Spurs have only missed the playoffs 4 times in the 30 years they've been in the NBA.

But Dallas must have more than one division title. Harper and Aguirre only won one?

Yeap.

One.

They've had big leads before too...like in 02-03, and lost the division.

Probably won't happen this time...but never say never.

Russ
02-26-2007, 10:02 PM
I appreciate the back up...

But the Spurs are now #2 All Time in winning %...they passed Boston.

I expected them to pass Boston soon. But every time I try to look it up, I realize that worthless history section of NBA.COM hasn't been updated for years. :rolleyes

dbreiden83080
02-26-2007, 10:04 PM
It is funny how some people put so much stock in the regular season. Granted with the Spurs playing like crap a few weeks i was down in the dumps but they have turned the corner since. They have a team that has tons of playoff experience and can go on the road and beat anyone.

jack0fspeed
02-26-2007, 11:47 PM
"They're the only team in Texas," Horry said, "that doesn't have a championship."

And if MJ doesn't go on a baseball boondoggle, Houston would have the same number of championships as Dallas.

BUMP
02-27-2007, 12:02 AM

The numbers are...

LA - 27 Division Titles

Big deal.

The Spurs don't even pay attention to the division title...they could care less about it. They don't even put individual banners up for winning them any more.

The fact that this guy makes such a big deal about the division title should embarrass MavFan....it's shows just how much of a bitch the Mavs have been during their 27 year history.

If I were Mav fan I'd bury any division title talk...

Kings and TWolves also thought they were the shit when they won a division title, they celebrated more than the Spurs do when they win a title...where are they now?

nice post but we're still better than you :lol

THE SIXTH MAN
02-27-2007, 12:13 AM
And if MJ doesn't go on a baseball boondoggle, Houston would have the same number of championships as Dallas.
What the fuck is it with you mav fans? You guys always have to discredit another teams achievements, but then when it comes to your team everybody has to fucking bow down. The fact that MJ wasn't playing has nothing to do with Houston winning the titles those years. You guys of all people should know that winning it all is never ever easy.

jack0fspeed
02-27-2007, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE]You guys of all people should know that winning it all is never ever easy./QUOTE]

But it gets alot easier if the best player in the league is on hiatus. I give credit to Houston for being the best team at the time, but they get an asterisk I'm sorry. Do you bang on the Jazz because they couldn't beat the Bulls? Those teams in 97 and 98 went through Houston. Only to lose to Chicago.

The fact is neither one of them could beat the Bulls.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-27-2007, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE]You guys of all people should know that winning it all is never ever easy./QUOTE]

But it gets alot easier if the best player in the league is on hiatus. I give credit to Houston for being the best team at the time, but they get an asterisk I'm sorry. Do you bang on the Jazz because they couldn't beat the Bulls? Those teams in 97 and 98 went through Houston. Only to lose to Chicago.

Just the kind of response I expected.

jack0fspeed
02-27-2007, 12:59 AM
whatever emoticon man. I'll bring the facts you bring the smileys.

THE SIXTH MAN
02-27-2007, 01:01 AM
whatever emoticon man. I'll bring the facts you bring the smileys.
:depressed :blah :oops :lol :rolleyes :spin :dramaquee :toast :p: :elephant :king :santahat :smokin :donkey :madrun :drunk :hat

THE SIXTH MAN
02-27-2007, 01:02 AM
:depressed :blah :oops :lol :rolleyes :spin :dramaquee :toast :p: :elephant :king :santahat :smokin :donkey :madrun :drunk :hat
I'm still waiting for the "facts".

THE SIXTH MAN
02-27-2007, 01:08 AM

By the way Mr. "facts", in 95 a bull team lead by Jordan lost in the conference finals to the magic. So your little argument doesn't hold much weight.

ArgSpursFan
02-27-2007, 07:39 AM

yeap,A long time ago though

Jimcs50
02-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Last night, Dallas became the 1st team in the HISTORY of the NBA to have three separate 12 game winning streaks in one season.

Think about that for one minute.

That is truly an amazing feat.

The Spurs just had their 1st 6 game streak last night.

Damn, why did Pop let AJ leave the Spurs organization???? He should have put his ass right next to him on the Spurs bench and made him his heir apparent.

:bang

Russ
02-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Damn, why did Pop let AJ leave the Spurs organization????

Priorities. I recall AJ was getting on Duncan's nerves.

jack0fspeed
02-27-2007, 11:47 AM
By the way Mr. "facts", in 95 a bull team lead by Jordan lost in the conference finals to the magic. So your little argument doesn't hold much weight.

MJ un-retired in late May that year. He hadn't played basketball in a year and a half. The team had only a few weeks to gel before the playoffs. Of course they weren't going to be the same team they were the next year.

I'm guessing you're young and didn't watch the games or you'd remember this little detail. Let me tell you, I watched the games. I rooted for Houston. I really really liked Olajuwon. But there's no way that team would beat the MJ Bulls.

Jimcs50
02-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Priorities. I recall AJ was getting on Duncan's nerves.

Well, I imagine that fact that Dallas is now a much better team than his Spurs because of AJ, really gets on TD's nerves a lot more.

Serves him right.

exstatic
02-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Wasn't Detroit the team to beat as of March last year? Weren't they on a 70 game pace? It can all go up in smoke in the playoffs...

exstatic
02-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Facing the Rockets is a hit or miss proposition. Will they be healthy? Maybe ... Maybe not.

The Suns on the other hand ... They will just be dangerous, however, last year they ran out of gas in the WCF, both Nash and Marion admitted that they were exausted after the season of running and then the playoffs.

This year is shaping up the same way .. The minutes that the Suns are piling on their top six players tends to lead me to think that they will run out of gas again. I think the Suns in a late round would be an easier match-up then an early match-up with the Rockets.

Of course the Jazz shouldn't be overlooked.
A smart fan. Phoenix will do what they always do in the playoffs: run out of gas, and get frustrated when teams won't allow them easy baskets in transition. Some people here are like terrified of the Suns. They'll never be a serious threat under D'Antoni's run-n-gun no defense system. It's not viable for the playoffs. This team isn't even as good as the 05 Suns.

dbreiden83080
02-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Last night, Dallas became the 1st team in the HISTORY of the NBA to have three separate 12 game winning streaks in one season.

Damn, why did Pop let AJ leave the Spurs organization???? He should have put his ass right next to him on the Spurs bench and made him his heir apparent.

He is not a better coach than Pop and by the time Pop is done the Duncan Era will be over and they will be in rebuild mode anyway.

Please_dont_ban_me
02-27-2007, 05:32 PM

The division is lost.

The articles credibility is lost with a comment like this.

That's all we have left to play for? It's the fucking playoffs, mate.

sghspurs
02-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Congrats Dallas on your Southwest Division Championship. We bow down to you in honor of your greatness.

Agloco
03-01-2007, 05:50 PM

I'll buck up and give props when they have a 12 game winning streak in the playoffs..........

Until then ---------> /yawn

Agloco
03-01-2007, 05:53 PM
A smart fan. Phoenix will do what they always do in the playoffs: run out of gas, and get frustrated when teams won't allow them easy baskets in transition. Some people here are like terrified of the Suns. They'll never be a serious threat under D'Antoni's run-n-gun no defense system. It's not viable for the playoffs. This team isn't even as good as the 05 Suns.

The first slice of evidence to this fact occured a few nights ago. Phoenix lost to Philadelphia with Nash in the lineup. The cracks are just beginning to show in Phoenix, they always do at about this time........

Dirk Nowitzki
03-01-2007, 06:29 PM
The Spurs wont be nearly as tough as they were a year ago. Too many old ass washed up pieces of shit on that squad. The Suns are a team who will give us the toughest test in the west. I really would be shocked if a potiental Mavs/Spurs series goes past 5 games. We should respect the Spurs like we do all teams and be ready to play because we shouldnt expect them to lie down and just hand us the series. You do have to work for it. If the Mavs just have that focus the Spurs wont give us any major scares. It ends in 5. They dont scare me they really dont. They are no longer the defensive powerhouse they once were on the perimeter and interior. I cant fear a team like that.

ArgSpursFan
03-01-2007, 06:38 PM
The Spurs wont be nearly as tough as they were a year ago. Too many old ass washed up pieces of shit on that squad. The Suns are a team who will give us the toughest test in the west. I really would be shocked if a potiental Mavs/Spurs series goes past 5 games. We should respect the Spurs like we do all teams and be ready to play because we shouldnt expect them to lie down and just hand us the series. You do have to work for it. If the Mavs just have that focus the Spurs wont give us any major scares. It ends in 5. They dont scare me they really dont. They are no longer the defensive powerhouse they once were on the perimeter and interior. I cant fear a team like that.

They don´t have to scare YOU,to scare AJ and Co. is enough.And I´m sure they will be.

samikeyp
03-01-2007, 06:48 PM
The fact that you might actually fear a basketball team is hilarious.

ArgSpursFan
03-01-2007, 07:11 PM
The fact that you might actually fear a basketball team is hilarious.

want an example?
last year´s NBA finals

Dirk Nowitzki
03-01-2007, 07:24 PM
They dont scare the Mavs either. Dirk has a comfort zone against the Spurs as do most Mav players. Nothing you throw at them intimidates them. :fro

romain.star
03-01-2007, 07:31 PM
They dont scare the Mavs either. Dirk has a comfort zone against the Spurs as do most Mav players. Nothing you throw at them intimidates them. :fro

and that's spurs best chance to win against a team surrounded by overconfidence from local media and fans

Dirk Nowitzki
03-01-2007, 07:34 PM
and that's spurs best chance to win against a team surrounded by overconfidence from local media and fans
They arent overconfident against the Spurs they are just confident and KNOW they can beat them now.

romain.star
03-01-2007, 07:41 PM
i just love the idea of being the underdogs... the spurs are for sure a much bigger threat as underdogs... you'll see dude...

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2007, 08:53 PM
MJ un-retired in late May that year. He hadn't played basketball in a year and a half. The team had only a few weeks to gel before the playoffs. Of course they weren't going to be the same team they were the next year.

I'm guessing you're young and didn't watch the games or you'd remember this little detail. Let me tell you, I watched the games. I rooted for Houston. I really really liked Olajuwon. But there's no way that team would beat the MJ Bulls.

Uh, I'm certain that you don't have your facts right.

Michael came back in mid-March that season. And it's not like the Bulls struggled once he got back. In fact, the Bulls were substantially better when Jordan returned. When Michael played his first game on March 19, 1995, the Bulls were 34-31; at the end of the season, the Bulls were 47-35 -- they went 13-4 in the 17 regular season games that Jordan played in. They hadn't had a win streak of longer than 3 games before Jordan un-retired; they had two 6-game win streaks after his return.

Jordan didn't exactly take time to round into shape, either. He played 40+ minutes in 4 of his first 5 games back. He dropped 55 at MSG on the Knicks in his 5th game. In the 17 games, he averaged 26.9 ppg, 6.9 rpg., 5.3 apg, and 1.8 spg in almost 40 minutes a night. He shot the ball poorly (.411), but he was an extremely productive player. And come playoff time, he was all the way back -- he played 42 minutes per night in those playoffs, averaging 31.5 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 4.5 apg, and shooting 48% from the floor.

The Bulls, without home court advantage, mauled a 50-win Hornets team with Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson in the First Round that season, before falling in 6 in the ECSF to Orlando.

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 08:56 PM
If the Spurs are to win the championship, I want them to have the tough road. I don't want them to have it easy.
Its funny how some fans twist whatever their situation is to justify how they great their team is. I personally would rather have homecourt advantage throughout, but hey being neck and neck with the Mavs in point diffrential is good too Spurs

THE SIXTH MAN
03-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Its funny how some fans twist whatever their situation is to justify how they great their team is. I personally would rather have homecourt advantage throughout, but hey being neck and neck with the Mavs in point diffrential is good too Spurs
What are the mavs champs of?

RonMexico
03-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Wow - I think the Phoenix reporters can be terrible, but every day I see something new out of Dallas that either (a) rips on the Suns (b) rips on the Spurs (c) rips on the league office or (d) rips on the players that "step in front of Josh Howard.

Like their fans, team, and city as a whole, they're getting a little too cocky and that's one of the 7 deadly sins in the NBA. Also, I think the Spurs gave up on the Southwest Division title before the All-Star break and just want to be ready to win on the road and secure the at least the 3rd seed... this article's whole premise is pointless.

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
What are the mavs champs of?

Thats like saying the San Fransisco 49ers are the best team in the NFL because they have won a championship before. Since my TV's TiVo Doesnt have the previous decade's NBA basketball saved onto it, I typically stick with a current season when talking sports. Last time I checked, your fans don't cheer Go '99 Spurs, Go! :reading

Samr
03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Anyone know the weight limit on those rafters? Realistically, I doubt they can support much more Division Champ banners than we have currently. Maybe the Spurs record this year is a strategic thing, save the building engineers some calculations and heartache? CIA Pop at it again. I'm tellin' ya.

THE SIXTH MAN
03-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Wow - I think the Phoenix reporters can be terrible, but every day I see something new out of Dallas that either (a) rips on the Suns (b) rips on the Spurs (c) rips on the league office or (d) rips on the players that "step in front of Josh Howard.
True, that little "the whole world is out to get us" attitude got old pretty fast.

RonMexico
03-01-2007, 10:06 PM
True, that little "the whole world is out to get us" attitude got old pretty fast.

Yeah, now it's "the whole world is in our review mirrors even after we started out 0-4!!! Nah! Nah! Nah!"

Notice how Dallas reporters attacked the Suns when they were streaking but have left us alone since that poor stretch when Nash was out. Now the Spurs have come out of the all-star break pretty strong and they have to try and revive an old bitchfest. Basically, I'm just saying they're scared...

THE SIXTH MAN
03-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Thats like saying the San Fransisco 49ers are the best team in the NFL because they have won a championship before. Since my TV's TiVo Doesnt have the previous decade's NBA basketball saved onto it, I typically stick with a current season when talking sports. Last time I checked, your fans don't cheer Go '99 Spurs, Go! :reading
You still didn't answer my question. What are the mavs champs of, I mean since you like to talk about the current season and all. Last time I checked its still a couple of more weeks until the playoffs. Its funny how fast you got your panties in bunch so fast. No one said anything about the spurs and their championships, you brought them up.

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 10:24 PM
You still didn't answer my question. What are the mavs champs of, I mean since you like to talk about the current season and all. Last time I checked its still a couple of more weeks until the playoffs. Its funny how fast you got your panties in bunch so fast. No one said anything about the spurs and their championships, you brought them up.

First off its obvious what you are implying; its the same thing I have heard from Spurs Fans all year.
Second, My, um, panties didn't get bunched up so fast, I actually took some time in responding to the post.
Third, If we are talking about this season so far, it is all over, unless you want to take the Hollinger approach, to assume that the Mavericks will be the leaders of the Southwest going into the playoffs. Thats being said with 25 games left in the season. Crowned Champs or not, what the Mavericks are doing this season is special. Its been a record setting (3 12 win streaks), Accolade proclaiming (Constant Player of the weeks, Coach of the month and Player of the month in February), and they arent slowing up. As far as the Championship goes, who know? I do know that as of RIGHT NOW, at this point in time, because thats all anyone can look at, and because the last time I checked a season is a part of any sport, I am watching the best team in the NBA.

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2007, 10:32 PM
First off its obvious what you are implying; its the same thing I have heard from Spurs Fans all year.
Second, My, um, panties didn't get bunched up so fast, I actually took some time in responding to the post.
Third, If we are talking about this season so far, it is all over, unless you want to take the Hollinger approach, to assume that the Mavericks will be the leaders of the Southwest going into the playoffs. Thats being said with 25 games left in the season. Crowned Champs or not, what the Mavericks are doing this season is special. Its been a record setting (3 12 win streaks), Accolade proclaiming (Constant Player of the weeks, Coach of the month and Player of the month in February), and they arent slowing up. As far as the Championship goes, who know? I do know that as of RIGHT NOW, at this point in time, because thats all anyone can look at, and because the last time I checked a season is a part of any sport, I am watching the best team in the NBA.

That they might be the best team in the NBA, however, doesn't make them champs of anything (other than, perhaps, their division -- a relatively meaningless accomplishment in the grand scheme of things) in the current season.

But, congratulations on that championship.

:toast

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 10:34 PM
That they might be the best team in the NBA, however, doesn't make them champs of anything (other than, perhaps, their division -- a relatively meaningless accomplishment in the grand scheme of things) in the current season.

But, congratulations on that championship.

:toast
Better than the Spurs have done this year. So thanks!!
:drunk

samikeyp
03-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Better than the Spurs have done this year. So thanks!!

Heard that all last summer.

Its amazing that there were Mavs fans who actually thought getting past the Spurs was bigger than making it to the Finals.

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 10:36 PM

Which by the way this quote was my first word on the subject, and nowhere in it is a proclamation of the Mavs being this years champions. But, You guys have done a great job validating that quote, so Thanks for that as well :toast

samikeyp
03-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Which by the way this quote was my first word on the subject, and nowhere in it is a proclamation of the Mavs being this years champions. But, You guys have done a great job validating that quote, so Thanks for that as well

Talk about twisting for justification. :toast

THE SIXTH MAN
03-01-2007, 10:39 PM
I guess you have a hard time reading. All I asked was, what are the mavs champs of, since that's the clever screen name you decided to use on this forum. Like I said you were so quick to get your panties in a bunch and replied with some nonsense.

Third, If we are talking about this season so far, it is all over, unless you want to take the Hollinger approach, to assume that the Mavericks will be the leaders of the Southwest going into the playoffs.
Well if the season is over already, lets call up stern and tell him to cancel the rest of the season and give the mavs the championship already. :rolleyes
And mav fans wonder why they're always mocked and ridiculed by everybody.

Thats being said with 25 games left in the season. Crowned Champs or not, what the Mavericks are doing this season is special. Its been a record setting (3 12 win streaks), Accolade proclaiming (Constant Player of the weeks, Coach of the month and Player of the month in February), and they arent slowing up.
Hey, everybody's giving your team props. And your right, the mavs are the best team in the league right now no one's disputing that. But it all wont mean a damn thing unless you guys win it all.

samikeyp
03-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Hey, everybody's giving your team props. And your right, the mavs are the best team in the league right now no one's disputing that. But it all wont mean a damn thing unless you guys win it all.

I would agree with that.

If the Mavs finish as champs then all the accolades will be theirs and deservedly so...however as many Mavs fans pointed out to Spurs fans in the past...a great regular season means absolutely nothing if you don't win it all.

I think even Mavsarechamps would agree with that.

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Heard that all last summer.

Its amazing that there were Mavs fans who actually thought getting past the Spurs was bigger than making it to the Finals.

You are right there, it is amazing that some Mavs Fans thought that. It was a great series, and it was a huge monkey on the Mavs backs. We, as Mavs
fans, did take that as quite an accomplishment. The Spurs were the team to beat for the Mavs, not the other way around.

What is equally as amazing is a Spurs fan ability to to take what is going on today and compare it to something that happened in the past.

THE SIXTH MAN
03-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Which by the way this quote was my first word on the subject, and nowhere in it is a proclamation of the Mavs being this years champions.
Then what does your screen name imply retard? :lol

samikeyp
03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
What is equally as amazing is a Spurs fan ability to to take what is going on today and compare it to something that happened in the past.

Fair enough..so then you believe that the past should not be brought up for a debate in the present.

I would agree.

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Fair enough..so then you believe that the past should not be brought up for a debate in the present.

I would agree.

Which makes last season's playoff result wholly irrelevant, I suppose?

THE SIXTH MAN
03-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Whats also amazing is how a mavs fan cries about history because their team has none. :blah

THE SIXTH MAN
03-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Only when its convenient for them.

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I guess you have a hard time reading. All I asked was, what are the mavs champs of, since that's the clever screen name you decided to use on this forum. Like I said you were so quick to get your panties in a bunch and replied with some nonsense.

Well if the season is over already, lets call up stern and tell him to cancel the rest of the season and give the mavs the championship already. :rolleyes
And mav fans wonder why they're always mocked and ridiculed by everybody.

I thought my screen name was pretty clever too. I didnt catch the meaning of your question because other than the Screen name being a wishful thinking proclamation, I use the word "Champ" to describe a badass, or someone I think is just all around great.
As far as calling Stern goes, Im sure that Cuban has already looked into that.
As far as Mavs fans being ridiculed by everyone, I think thats kind of harsh :nope
And Im not disputing that the Championship is the ultimate goal of every team that is in contention this year. Neither are the Mav fans, and most importantly, neither are the Mavs

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 10:53 PM

When talking about this season, Yes!

samikeyp
03-01-2007, 10:54 PM

But are you cool with it when Mavs fans do it here?

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 10:55 PM
But are you cool with it when Mavs fans do it here?
No, I am not the almighty voice of every Mavs fan on this site.

samikeyp
03-01-2007, 10:57 PM
I didn't say you were.

You have a problem when Spurs fans bring up past championships in reference to this season....do you have the same problem when Mavs fans bring up last years playoffs in reference to this season?

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2007, 10:57 PM

Should the Mavericks win the NBA championship this season, I'm certain that no Mavs fans will acknowledged that their 2007 Championship is wholly irrelevant to anything during the 07-08 season.

Absolutely certain.

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Should the Mavericks win the NBA championship this season, I'm certain that no Mavs fans will acknowledged that their 2007 Championship is wholly irrelevant to anything during the 07-08 season.

Absolutely certain.

Just like Miami has done, and rightfully so after beating us last season. The difference is that Heat even though it was last season are the CURRENT NBA Champs. If the Mavs, or whoever wins this year, will be considered the CURRENT NBA champs

samikeyp
03-01-2007, 11:03 PM
But when Spurs fans did that after the 2005 title....it was deemed by many, including many Mavs fans, as "bringing up last year"

hmm...double standard anyone?

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Just like Miami has done, and rightfully so after beating us last season. The difference is that Heat even though it was last season are the CURRENT NBA Champs. If the Mavs, or whoever wins this year, will be considered the CURRENT NBA champs

But -- wait -- I thought what happened last season was irrelevant to this sesaon? Are you now saying that it's irrelevant, unless you think it's relevant? Or is there some other dizzying bit of logic that informs your apparent hypocrisy.

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 11:07 PM
I didn't say you were.

You have a problem when Spurs fans bring up past championships in reference to this season....do you have the same problem when Mavs fans bring up last years playoffs in reference to this season?

Other than being the current Western Conference Champs because of last season, there isnt much to say. The Mavs/Spurs series wasn't a blow out and could have been won easily by either team. Its not like we dominated, but we did win, thus as of right now, we are considered the current Western Conference Champs. And no, I don't think that is a grand accomplishment.

samikeyp
03-01-2007, 11:11 PM
"we"? :spin

yes..."you" did win the series but if Spurs fans shouldn't bring up past titles (something I think is pretty lame when talking about the present) then same rules should apply for everyone regardless of team.

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 11:18 PM
But -- wait -- I thought what happened last season was irrelevant to this sesaon? Are you now saying that it's irrelevant, unless you think it's relevant? Or is there some other dizzying bit of logic that informs your apparent hypocrisy.

You + Logic dont add up. Ok bud, the way it works is that when any team, in any sport wins a championship, they are considered the "defending champions" Last season plays no part, nor did I ever say it did, in determining anything other than a title, or given name. So saying that the Mavs are Defending Western Conference Champs is not proclaiming anything. Regardless of the exact wording, that type of title is used in every sport to as a way to describe the particular team that earned the title. A year from now I won't be saying that the Mavs are the "once removed defending Western Conference Champions".

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2007, 11:21 PM
You + Logic dont add up. Ok bud, the way it works is that when any team, in any sport wins a championship, they are considered the "defending champions" Last season plays no part, nor did I ever say it did, in determining anything other than a title, or given name. So saying that the Mavs are Defending Western Conference Champs is not proclaiming anything. Regardless of the exact wording, that type of title is used in every sport to as a way to describe the particular team that earned the title. A year from now I won't be saying that the Mavs are the "once removed defending Western Conference Champions".

What difference does it make if a team is a defending champion, though? After all, what happened the year before is wholly irrelevant -- that's what Mavs fans told me last year, after all. I just want to be sure that I'm in line with the unassailable kings of logic (remarkably, all Mavericks' fans) so that I know whether it's kosher to brag about what a team did last year or not, and whether the things that happened last year might have any relevance whatsoever to what will happen in the current year.

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 11:23 PM
I have never said anything about the 05 spurs, or the 99 spurs, Or the 95-96 bulls, or any Celtics teams. This year, the Mavs, which have never won a championship, are currently playing the best bball in the NBA, and would be considered by many experts, except Hollinger, to be favorites, as of this very second, to win the Championship. I could care less about the previous title.

samikeyp
03-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Mavs Are Champs doesn't like being included in blanket statements about Mavs fans.

Even though he does the same thing to Spurs fans.

timvp
03-01-2007, 11:28 PM
:lmao

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 11:28 PM
What difference does it make if a team is a defending champion, though? After all, what happened the year before is wholly irrelevant -- that's what Mavs fans told me last year, after all. I just want to be sure that I'm in line with the unassailable kings of logic (remarkably, all Mavericks' fans) so that I know whether it's kosher to brag about what a team did last year or not, and whether the things that happened last year might have any relevance whatsoever to what will happen in the current year.

At the first of the season Mavs fans were talking about last year, and what the Mavs accomplished. This year, With 2/3rds of the NBA season said and done and the MAvs holding a commanding lead while playing solid almost every night leading to a 49-9 record is what most Mavs fans are talking about. Come playoff time, we will be talking about the playoffs. And come the start of next season, hopefully we can hold our bragging rights, until the season is fully underway.

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Mavs Are Champs doesn't like being included in blanket statements about Mavs fans.

Even though he does the same thing to Spurs fans.

touche, you got me there and you are completely right about that, I dont like being included in blanket statements, and I have, hopefully, up until now, been hypocritical about that. My bad :oops

td4mvp21
03-01-2007, 11:32 PM
What the hell? It's fucking March Mavs fans. I would shut my mouth, if I were a Mavs fan, because obviously your team failed to live up to last year's NBA Finals expectations. Wait until they actually win it!

Mavs are Champs
03-01-2007, 11:45 PM
What the hell? It's fucking March Mavs fans. I would shut my mouth, if I were a Mavs fan, because obviously your team failed to live up to last year's NBA Finals expectations. Wait until they actually win it!

Wow now buddy!!! Not once have I trashed the spurs or said that we were a lock to win it. I think we have a hell of a chance, and the way we are playing right now, I would find it hard to believe that even Spurs fans arent at least a little concerned about facing this team in the playoffs. when youve gone 49-9 you have a little somthing to cheer for. Now if, and hopefully when, we win the championship I will definitely give you a reason to tell me to shut up :madrun

td4mvp21
03-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Wow now buddy!!! Not once have I trashed the spurs or said that we were a lock to win it. I think we have a hell of a chance, and the way we are playing right now, I would find it hard to believe that even Spurs fans arent at least a little concerned about facing this team in the playoffs. when youve gone 49-9 you have a little somthing to cheer for. Now if, and hopefully when, we win the championship I will definitely give you a reason to tell me to shut up :madrun

Look at your screename dumbass. And not to mention Bump's thread. I think the Mavs are the favorites, but to go about proclaiming that you guys are the champs makes you guys look like idiots.

Mavs are Champs
03-02-2007, 12:03 AM
I thought my screen name was pretty clever too. I didnt catch the meaning of your question because other than the Screen name being a wishful thinking proclamation, I use the word "Champ" to describe a badass, or someone I think is just all around great.
As far as calling Stern goes, Im sure that Cuban has already looked into that.
As far as Mavs fans being ridiculed by everyone, I think thats kind of harsh :nope
And Im not disputing that the Championship is the ultimate goal of every team that is in contention this year. Neither are the Mav fans, and most importantly, neither are the Mavs

already addressed that, but thanks for pointing it out again,, and Im not Bump

Mavs are Champs
03-02-2007, 12:19 AM
and to encapsulate the one point that a few of you have about my badass, better than yours, name I will include the following:

THE SIXTH MAN
03-02-2007, 12:27 AM
and to encapsulate the one point that a few of you have about my badass, better than yours, name I will include the following:
I've been told time and time again, that I fuck like a champ.

Manudona
03-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Since my TV's TiVo Doesnt have the previous decade's NBA basketball saved onto it, I typically stick with a current season when talking sports.

Let me guess why you only have one season recorded in your TiVo. You always delete the whole previous season out of frustration for another non championship season? :pctoss

Mavs are Champs
03-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Let me guess why you only have one season recorded in your TiVo. You always delete the whole previous season out of frustration for another non championship season? :pctoss

No, I have to have room for Lost and Heroes

SpurYank
03-02-2007, 12:01 PM
There is one intangible that no one speak about when discussing the Mavs and the Spurs: Jerry Stackhouse.

There is a reason he has been shopped around from team to team for years. He shines when his team is blowing out another team, and he appears to be dead-on with his threes.

Put him in a tense, do-or-die situation and he is a choker. His "chokerness" settled on the entire team last year in Miami.

Then again, now that he is on a "championship" team, perhaps this trend can be reversed. Still, this could depend on exactly what championship the Mavericks have won of late. Just what did they win last year? Oh yes, the right to PLAY for a championship.

Shank
03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
There is one intangible that no one speak about when discussing the Mavs and the Spurs: Jerry Stackhouse.

There is a reason he has been shopped around from team to team for years. He shines when his team is blowing out another team, and he appears to be dead-on with his threes.

Put him in a tense, do-or-die situation and he is a choker. His "chokerness" settled on the entire team last year in Miami.

Then again, now that he is on a "championship" team, perhaps this trend can be reversed. Still, this could depend on exactly what championship the Mavericks have won of late. Just what did they win last year? Oh yes, the right to PLAY for a championship.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/dreamworks_skg/anchorman/will_ferrell/toothpick.jpg

"That doesn't make sense".

TwoDeep3
03-02-2007, 05:40 PM
A business associate and friend of mine in Miami, and season ticket holder to the Heat, told me on Saturday after I offered my condolensces regarding Wade's injury, meaning that our agreed on plan of attending together each Heat vs. Spurs Finals game, should they end up facing each other, was up in smoke.

I'm more humble in my expectations, but it was funny how he said that Dallas is a regular season winner, but playoff soft choker. He said he thinks San Antonio is basically gonna win it all. I was like "but Dallas has Avery at the helm, has a deep roster...." He was like "I repeat, they are regular season winners, playoff chokers."

Now, this is just one fan's opinion, but it is a diehard Heat fan who also contributes to various Heat charities, so he knows intimately ownership and most of the players worth knowing. Its not like he's some teenaged scrub blowing out smack just to get a rise.

I thought that was pretty harsh and funny. I told him I'd post his comments a Spurs fan forum. So here it is. Heat it up, serve it and eat it Mavs fans. :lmao

I have read this thread and find this to be the most absurd defense of the Spurs by a Spur's fan.

So some guy you know who is a Heat groupie, and hangs out with them because of charity events he participates in, thinks Dallas is a choker.

Well, ain't that amazing.

He has a point.

Last year.

But until your friend suits up and steps on the court and finds out himself, I'd say this is merely a fan's perspective.

And not much more than some teenager talking smack.

Could it be true?

Sure.

But it appears this is where you are putting your faith by your comments. Because some fan of the Heat, and acquaintance of yours, says the Spurs are better, then it must be so.

I read here alot and seldom comment. But I have noticed that during seasons when your team is far superior in the standings, regular season games and the standings are meaningful.

Here we are with the Mavs holding what would appear to be an insurmountable lead, and this board now thinks regular season standings are meaningless.

It will all play out in the end. But the hope shown on this board - just like every other fan board - is truly inspiring. Even if it is the opposite of the tune normally sung here.

The point of the article, and one that has some foundation in fact, is simple.

It's slipping away from you. Each year you are less than the year before.

And as a Cowboy fan who has experienced this several times.

It ain't easy accepting the truth.

Good luck with the rest of the season. I hope we meet with everyone healthy.

Unlike this board, I think the series will be decided in the favor of the Mavs, and much quicker than you expect.

Again, good luck.

samikeyp
03-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Unlike this board, I think the series will be decided in the favor of the Mavs, and much quicker than you expect.

Yes because the entire board thinks the exact same way. :rolleyes

Many on this board, most of whom are Spurs fans, have acknowleged what the Mavs are doing and given them credit accordingly. There is nothing wrong in standing behind one's team and rooting them on regardless of their spot in the standings.

You had told Dave..

But it appears this is where you are putting your faith by your comments. Because some fan of the Heat, and acquaintance of yours, says the Spurs are better, then it must be so.

Well on the same point...because you say the Mavs will beat the Spurs in the playoffs...then it must be so?

You are basically implying that since the Spurs have a worse record then Dallas and since you are saying the Mavericks will make short work of San Antonio if they meet in the playoffs, we Spurs fans should just give up? Or as you put it "accept the truth".

GrandeDavid and his friend (neither of which are teenagers...nice assumption BTW) saying SA is better doesn't make it so just like you saying the Mavs will beat the Spurs in the playoffs doesn't make it so. It might happen either way, but there are no guarantees.

A true fan sticks with their team regardless of wins or losses....You will find a lot of Spurs fans are just that. I would imagine most Mavs fans are the same. Hopefully you are too but to suggest that we should "accept the truth" and give up hope and optimism and cheering on our team suggests the opposite.