PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Power 16

Doug Collins
02-25-2007, 08:54 PM
No. 1 Seeds
TEAM REC. COMMENT
Florida 24-3 We hinted the Vandy performance was coming in last week's P16, but the domination by the 'Dores was surprising. Joakim Noah is walking a fine line between emotional and distracted. Gators could use more production and fewer theatrics.
UCLA 23-3 The other team to receive three first-place votes this week, the Bruins haven't always been pretty lately, but they've been mostly effective. Hard to say how good the win at Arizona really is, but you can't argue with 15-3 against the RPI Top 100.
North Carolina 24-4 The Heels bounced back nicely with wins at BC and over NC State, exacting some revenge on the Pack. Very quietly, Tyler Hansbrough is mounting a late push for ACC POY. Interesting test at Maryland this weekend.
Ohio State 25-3 The door's open for the Buckeyes to win the Big Ten and get a No. 1 seed. The "buzz" is that Ohio State's youth might hurt it in a single-elimination event, but the truth is that it's the defense that could cause pause, based on recent (in)efficiency.
No. 2 Seeds
TEAM REC. COMMENT
Wisconsin 26-3 The biggest issue from the MSU loss: How did Alando Tucker, in MSU's decisive 19-7 run, take only two shots (both mediocre looks at 3s)? Michael Flowers and Kammron Taylor are nice players, but Tucker has to see (and go get) more of the ball.
Kansas 24-4 Texas A&M has the defensive rep in the Big 12, but it's the Jayhawks who actually lead the nation in defensive efficiency. Of course, they were 2nd last season when they lost in Round 1, but this year's O, statistically, is much better.
Texas A&M 23-4 It bears repeating after the OK State rout: If A&M gets viable scoring outside of Acie Law and Joseph Jones for four games in mid-March, the Aggies very well could be in Atlanta. The D, the big-shot maker and (likely) the locational draw are in place.
Memphis 23-3 Solid effort (essentially) on the road to take out a desperate Gonzaga team in OT. The next difficult game very well could be in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The seeding debate over the Tigers could be interesting.
No. 3 Seeds
TEAM REC. COMMENT
Washington State 22-4 Let's remind everyone that Wazzu was picked dead last in the Pac-10 preseason media poll, and now has a legit chance at at least a share of the Pac-10 title. And we're still debating who the national coach of the year is?
Pittsburgh 24-4 The game Saturday at Georgetown is an important one for the Panthers. It starts a testing last three games and would be a nice validation win for seeding purposes in the NCAAs, Big East implications aside.
Georgetown 21-5 Old Dominion and Oregon keep cheering as the Hoyas continue their march to the top of the Big East. You can't ask for a better shot than home against the co-leader with three to go.
Nevada 24-2 Something to reflect upon when you are surprised when Nevada gets a seed shaft on Selection Sunday: The Pack currently are 1-1 against the RPI Top 50 (a loss to UNLV at home and a win over No. 49 Utah State). At least they're 7-1 against 51-100.
No. 4 Seeds
TEAM REC. COMMENT
Southern Illinois 23-5 Maybe I'm having selective memory issues, but can anyone recall a mid-major team with an RPI of 4 this late in the season? Do you think any of the 1-seeds want the Salukis as the 4 in their region?
Texas 20-7 The Horns are one of five teams in the RPI Top 50 without an RPI Top 25 win, but they do have seven Top 100 wins and have been playing better ball as of late. Given the lack of solidity anywhere right now, why would an Elite Eight run be unthinkable?
Duke 20-7 The most polarizing team in college sports makes its return after a solid week. For those e-mailers who ask why Duke is a lock in D65, try the RPI of 11, SOS of 3, NonConf SOS of 3 and 11 Top 100 wins.
Louisville 19-8 This isn't a knock on the improving Cardinals, but it shows the drop-off after the 3-seed line that a team that wasn't even in the dance two games ago now makes the Power 16. They won't get a seed this high in the NCAAs, but someone comparable will.

Others receiving votes: Butler, Virginia Tech, Marquette, Air Force, Notre Dame, Winthrop, BYU

I know this is the Power 16 from last week but I found it interesting that little old Winthrop was listed as "also receiving votes". I thought they were part of the crap non-conference schedule A&M played that was supposed to hurt our RPI. Looks like we (aggie fans) weren't the only ones that thought they were worth a shit. If the aggies get the San Antonio Regional and play in New Orleans for the 1st 2 rounds we're gonna have some major homecourt advantage.link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/powerranking?season=2007&week=16)

RonMexico
02-26-2007, 05:28 AM
The largest question that remains: will the aggies get the respect they deserve in the rankings this week after winning two games and Wisconsin loses (twice), Florida loses (again), North Carolina loses... if those teams stay up high in the rankings with this east coast/Big 10/SEC bias of bullshit, then I'm going to be really pissed come 3 p.m. tomorrow.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-26-2007, 07:28 PM
I can't wait to see tOSU and Wisconsin get exposed in the NCAAs like Michigan and tOSU did in the bowl season.

johngateswhiteley
02-26-2007, 07:30 PM
I can't wait to see tOSU and Wisconsin get exposed in the NCAAs like Michigan and tOSU did in the bowl season.
i know, neither team is a #1 seed.

RonMexico
02-26-2007, 09:03 PM
And the pollsters proved me right... No way the Big 10 is overrated now!!

And Florida is showing character by losing double-digits to unranked teams.

NFO
02-27-2007, 11:28 AM
i know, neither team is a #1 seed.

You want to make a bet that the committee makes either one of them a 1 seed come selection Sunday because I'll take that bet.

Ohio State's only losses were UNC on the road without Oden, to Florida on the road, Oden's second game back, and to Wisconsin on the road in a close game. They have an RPI in the top 5 yet they shouldn't get a 1 seed. Explain.....

Jimcs50
02-27-2007, 01:03 PM
I just heard that if A&M beats out Kansas, then the Aggies go to Midwest Region instead of South Region where they would play in San Antonio.

That sucks, because I ordered 6 tickets to the San Antonio regional n the dome(contingent upon Ags getting to that regional)

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't doubt one or both will be #1 seeds come selection Sunday. I just don't think either one will make it to Atlanta to prove that seed was valid.

NFO
02-27-2007, 04:53 PM
I don't doubt one or both will be #1 seeds come selection Sunday. I just don't think either one will make it to Atlanta to prove that seed was valid.

How often does the best team win the NCAA. Its the team that gets the hottest for 6 games. So if a #1 seed doesn't make it to the final four it doesn't mean it wasn't valid.

Jimcs50
02-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Florida loses again tonight. 3 of last 4 and they will still get #1 seed.

:rolleyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2007, 12:17 AM
I just heard that if A&M beats out Kansas, then the Aggies go to Midwest Region instead of South Region where they would play in San Antonio.

That sucks, because I ordered 6 tickets to the San Antonio regional n the dome(contingent upon Ags getting to that regional)

Jim, not sure where you 'heard' anything. No one knows where teams are going. All we have at this point are projections. Back off the ledge.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Florida loses again tonight. 3 of last 4 and they will still get #1 seed.

:rolleyes

If they keep fading, don't see that happening. What you do in your last 10 is just as important as the RPI or any of the other indicators they look at.

RonMexico
02-28-2007, 01:07 AM
If they keep fading, don't see that happening. What you do in your last 10 is just as important as the RPI or any of the other indicators they look at.

I think Jim's just saying he anticipates such BS because there's no way Noah can go #1 in the WNBA draft this summer unless he's on a high profile #1 seed. Might as well give Kansas a #1 seed even if they don't win the Big 12 title.

Continuing on, why don't we just go ahead and throw the whole Big East conference into its own regional rather in lieu of a conference tournament for them? That way, when 4 of them get knocked out in the opening weekend again, at least they'll be knocking out each other and not letting any of those "pussy mid-major" teams Billy Packer doesn't even know the names of.

Jimcs50
02-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Jim, not sure where you 'heard' anything. No one knows where teams are going. All we have at this point are projections. Back off the ledge.

The Zone KZNE...Louie Belina

I would think he would know more than we do.

Jimcs50
02-28-2007, 08:39 AM
I think Jim's just saying he anticipates such BS because there's no way Noah can go #1 in the WNBA draft this summer unless he's on a high profile #1 seed. Might as well give Kansas a #1 seed even if they don't win the Big 12 title.

Continuing on, why don't we just go ahead and throw the whole Big East conference into its own regional rather in lieu of a conference tournament for them? That way, when 4 of them get knocked out in the opening weekend again, at least they'll be knocking out each other and not letting any of those "pussy mid-major" teams Billy Packer doesn't even know the names of.

Seriously, they are saying that the Big East will get 8 teams into the tourney, anf the Big 12 only 4 or 5 at the most.

This is total bullshit.

tlongII
02-28-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't see any way that Florida gets a #1 seed now.

RonMexico
02-28-2007, 01:29 PM
If they made the play-in game one between former NCAA champs that suck this year (i.e. UConn vs. Arizona or something) so they can fight for a chance to be a 16 seed... I would definitely watch that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2007, 01:46 PM
The Zone KZNE...Louie Belina

I would think he would know more than we do.

Louie is your source? :lol There's a reason he's a sports radio guy in the Brazos Valley, and it's not because that's a sports mecca for journalists. :lmao

I know Louie. Great guy, but he's lived in the 'valley a little too long.

Jimcs50
02-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Louie is your source? :lol There's a reason he's a sports radio guy in the Brazos Valley, and it's not because that's a sports mecca for journalists. :lmao

Hey, what can I say...I live in College Station for God's sake.

:)

RonMexico
02-28-2007, 02:28 PM

"Best of the Brazos" for 5 years running...

RonMexico
02-28-2007, 02:28 PM
If I had one wish besides a Big 12 title, it would be the removal of Dave South as a play-by-play guy.

Jimcs50
02-28-2007, 03:13 PM
If I had one wish besides a Big 12 title, it would be the removal of Dave South as a play-by-play guy.

:toast

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2007, 07:08 PM

:elephant :elephant :elephant

Doug Collins
02-28-2007, 07:13 PM

Those Allen Honda commercials he does are frantastic!

50 cent
02-28-2007, 09:40 PM

I have met Dave and Louie. Both are great guys, but horrible on the radio.