PDA

View Full Version : Calvin Johnson is Un-friggin-believable...

AFBlue
02-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Saw this on Sportscenter this morning and found it on ESPN.com just now. He's 240lb instead of the 225 they predicted, but he didn't look chunky (a la Mike Williams) and he certainly didn't run like he was out of shape. Undeniably this kid is the top talent in the draft, and maybe the top WR since Moss....could he be more talented? He's at least not one-tenth the headcase...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2779276

• The biggest story of Sunday's workout so far is Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson. At 6-foot-5 and 239 pounds, Johnson ran the third-best time of all the wide receivers with a 4.35 -- and he did it with borrowed sneakers.

katyon6th
02-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Seriously. A 4.35 40 is impressive in and of itself but at his size? "Un-friggin-believable".

AFBlue
02-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Seriously. A 4.35 40 is impressive in and of itself but at his size? "Un-friggin-believable".

:lol Exactly...

BTW, you wouldn't happen to live in Georgia and be married to a devilishly handsome guy named Keith would you??? Just kidding (wife's name is Katy, also a Spurs fan)

katyon6th
02-26-2007, 01:19 PM
:lol Exactly...

BTW, you wouldn't happen to live in Georgia and be married to a devilishly handsome guy named Keith would you??? Just kidding (wife's name is Katy, also a Spurs fan)

Hmm nope but my dad's name is Keith.

2centsworth
02-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Johnson is can't miss. Adrian Peterson looks freakish too. AP ran a 4.38.

midgetonadonkey
02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Johnson is can't miss. Adrian Peterson looks freakish too. AP ran a 4.38.

Too bad he can't finish a 10 game season without an injury.

AFBlue
02-26-2007, 04:36 PM
They used to call AP, AD for "All Day"....until he got injured. Now he only runs in 4.38 second increments :lol

Just kidding. If Willis McGahee can get taken 23rd less than 6 months after suffering a three-ligament tear in his knee, Adrian Peterson (arguably an equally talented RB) can snuff off some past nagging injuries. He'll go top 5 for sure.

NorCal510
02-26-2007, 06:26 PM
u guys act like 4.35 is really fast.

i ran a 4.44 and im not all that

romad_20
02-26-2007, 06:39 PM

Are you a lean 240 and have velcro for hands?

2centsworth
02-26-2007, 06:44 PM

I bet you ran one of those highschool timed 4.44. Those things are such bull. NFL timed 4.35 is blazing= to a 3.9 highschool timed 40.

johngateswhiteley
02-26-2007, 07:41 PM

there are a lot of great and fast athletes that never made it in pro ball, and its b/c they couldn't play the sport as well as others. being fast only takes you so far...in the NFL agility is much more important than being fast. how fast can you change direction, how good is your vision, do you have balance, do you know the game, can you keep your head? emmitt smith ran a 4.6 40 and jerry rice around a 4.5....i think those guys are pretty good players, are they not? can you play the sport, thats what matters...

NorCal510
02-26-2007, 07:59 PM
:lmao

i was just joking i run a 5.2

calvin johnson is a beast no doubt about that

Horry For 3!
02-26-2007, 08:32 PM
I didn't even post a comment because I knew NorCal could never run a 4.4 just like JGW thinks he is faster than Tony Parker.

johngateswhiteley
02-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I didn't even post a comment because I knew NorCal could never run a 4.4 just like JGW thinks he is faster than Tony Parker.

thinks? i know i am. granted 'kill him' may be taking it a bit far, but i was making a point.

AFBlue
02-26-2007, 10:26 PM
there are a lot of great and fast athletes that never made it in pro ball, and its b/c they couldn't play the sport as well as others. being fast only takes you so far...in the NFL agility is much more important than being fast. how fast can you change direction, how good is your vision, do you have balance, do you know the game, can you keep your head? emmitt smith ran a 4.6 40 and jerry rice around a 4.5....i think those guys are pretty good players, are they not? can you play the sport, thats what matters...

You're right in general that his size/speed combonation will only get him so far. But what makes him easily the best prospect in this draft is that size/speed combo, plus great hands, plus route-running, plus work ethic, and so on and so forth. I understand what you're saying (though it's not every day a guy with his measurables runs a 4.35), but this kid has the goods....

NorCal510
02-26-2007, 10:59 PM
JGW post a pic up of yourself i wanna see how "athletic" u claim to be...

Horry For 3!
02-27-2007, 12:10 AM
He is 5'10" 270 lbs :lmao

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Calvin Johnson will be a Raider or a Lion, presuming someone doesn't throw the kitchen sink at either team to try and trade up.

Mr Dio
02-27-2007, 12:41 AM

Sorry guys, I'm not gay but......JGW = Shorter than GIG but thicker and just as ripped. I think GIG and JGW would have the lowest bodyfat % of the entire board.
I'm pretty sure JGW wouldn't have any probs picking up whomever he wanted.....within reason of course.

NorCal510
02-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Sorry guys, I'm not gay but......JGW = Shorter than GIG but thicker and just as ripped. I think GIG and JGW would have the lowest bodyfat % of the entire board.
I'm pretty sure JGW wouldn't have any probs picking up whomever he wanted.....within reason of course.
where are u gettin your info from? how come JGW doesnt show his penis off like GiG?

johngateswhiteley
02-27-2007, 05:06 AM

ha ha, ironically i just got back from a workout. i try to do 2 workouts a week outside of practice. in any case, how do you know what i look like?

Norcal-
...hmm, i am not really a picture guy but my myspace is http://www.myspace.com/knowthyself_jgw

all of those pics are at least over a year old, but i guess i look about the same, probably a bit bigger as i worked hard to get ready for rugby this season. anyway....

as for not showing off or showing my penis?...no offense to gig, but thats not my style. i am pretty much against all that garbage.

AFBlue
02-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Calvin Johnson will be a Raider or a Lion, presuming someone doesn't throw the kitchen sink at either team to try and trade up.

Someone will throw a couple picks at the Lions, and they should take the deal. It seems that every WR they take as a cant-miss guy goes wrong.

Charles Rogers was a 6'3, 210lb guy that ran a 4.2 and was a good character guy. What happened? Injury derailed his promising start and he never got it together. BTW, where is he now?

Mike Williams was a 6'5, 230lb guy with great hands and leaping ability. A great possession receiver. He turned out to be a lazy primadonna, got fat, couldn't run routes, and has been a major disappiontment.

Roy Williams, who is by far the best of the group, has good hands, quick feet, and an ability to catch the ball. Too bad he, or his team for that matter, can never live up to his own hype. He hasn't been a locker room problem yet, but I do see a little TO in him.

Bottom Line: Every cant-miss surefire WR prospect the Lions have drafted in the first round has turned out to be less than anticipated. The guys they have success with are the late-round Mike Furrey's, etc.

They should take a lesson from the past, and learn to pass on the surefire WR...

Marklar MM
02-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Someone will throw a couple picks at the Lions, and they should take the deal. It seems that every WR they take as a cant-miss guy goes wrong.

Charles Rogers was a 6'3, 210lb guy that ran a 4.2 and was a good character guy. What happened? Injury derailed his promising start and he never got it together. BTW, where is he now?

Mike Williams was a 6'5, 230lb guy with great hands and leaping ability. A great possession receiver. He turned out to be a lazy primadonna, got fat, couldn't run routes, and has been a major disappiontment.

Roy Williams, who is by far the best of the group, has good hands, quick feet, and an ability to catch the ball. Too bad he, or his team for that matter, can never live up to his own hype. He hasn't been a locker room problem yet, but I do see a little TO in him.

Bottom Line: Every cant-miss surefire WR prospect the Lions have drafted in the first round has turned out to be less than anticipated. The guys they have success with are the late-round Mike Furrey's, etc.

They should take a lesson from the past, and learn to pass on the surefire WR...

Shit. The Lions best receiver a couple years ago was an undrafted player. Last year, a converted safety. Hell, the Lions backup quarterback had more catches than Mike Williams at a point last season.

02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Just an FYI, Rogers recently worked out for the Chiefs and ran a 4.9 40.

AFBlue
02-27-2007, 02:35 PM

That sucks man. From #2 to nothing in 4 short years...

02-27-2007, 02:48 PM
The fuckhead did it to himself. Same with that fat ass still on the roster. Grow up and earn your millions.

Pugglekicker_21
02-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Even so, what does Johnson have that makes him a surefire pick, a randy moss without the crazies,a T.O. without the off the field bitchiness?

02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
There are no surefire picks in any draft. Rogers was a consensus top-5 pick, everyone thought Gallery would be a stud, etc.

johngateswhiteley
02-27-2007, 10:00 PM

unbelievable...are you serious? i ran a 4.9 in junior high school, :lol

AFBlue
02-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Even so, what does Johnson have that makes him a surefire pick, a randy moss without the crazies,a T.O. without the off the field bitchiness?

Surefire is one way to say it. I should re-word it to say "most likely to live up to the crazy expectations of a top-5 pick". Nothing is for certain, but Calvin has the right mix of athleticism, ability, and work ethic to make him a stud in this league. He's the most likely to not fail...

02-27-2007, 10:22 PM
unbelievable...are you serious? i ran a 4.9 in junior high school, :lol

Completely serious. Apparently, the Chief coaches dogged him out for showing up to this workout out of shape and slow as well.

It was reported by several Lion beat writers as a 4.8, until someone talked to a KC coach who confirmed the 4.9 40.

It's pretty bad when the top rated OT runs as fast as you do carrying 100 extra pounds.

And Mike Williams is a coin flip to make the roster...

johngateswhiteley
02-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Completely serious. Apparently, the Chief coaches dogged him out for showing up to this workout out of shape and slow as well.

It was reported by several Lion beat writers as a 4.8, until someone talked to a KC coach who confirmed the 4.9 40.

It's pretty bad when the top rated OT runs as fast as you do carrying 100 extra pounds.

And Mike Williams is a coin flip to make the roster...

thats just amazing. what the hell is wrong with you MIKE!

02-27-2007, 10:30 PM
He's fat, lazy and still feels that he can get by on talent alone.

johngateswhiteley
02-27-2007, 10:39 PM
He's fat, lazy and still feels that he can get by on talent alone.

thats one thing that always kills me about talking to fans that don't know how hard these athletes work. some people seem to think these guys are just born this way. well some are born with more ability than others...but if you don't work hard to develop your abilities and physically condition yourself, you are worthless.

this is a perfect example. i shouldn't, but i feel sorry for him...all that talent, but no drive.

02-27-2007, 10:50 PM
The guy was still running the wrong routes 3 months into last season. I mean, is it that hard to learn a playbook for $5,000,000 a year?

Can you you at least hover around the weight the coaches want you at? Being 15-20 lbs. overweight two months into the season is fucking absurd.

At this point, I don't care if he goes somewhere else and blossoms. The guy has done nothing to warrant staying here. He's been that bad...

K-State Spur
02-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Yamon Figurs of K-State sets the fastest 40 time @ 4.30. Now, if he could catch the ball more than 50% of the time.

NorCal510
02-28-2007, 12:38 AM
i guess the vikings drafting troy williamson wasnt a bad idea

Horry For 3!
02-28-2007, 01:23 AM
I have more muscle mass than GIG and JGW. Yet, they probably have less bodyfat than I do though. I don't play any sports though and I haven't worked out in like 2-3 years.

johngateswhiteley
02-28-2007, 03:15 AM
I have more muscle mass than GIG and JGW. Yet, they probably have less bodyfat than I do though. I don't play any sports though and I haven't worked out in like 2-3 years.

do you think you can lift more than i?

Horry For 3!
02-28-2007, 03:48 AM
do you think you can lift more than i?
I don't know, I don't know how much you lift. But from looking at your pics, my arms are a lot bigger.

Considering I haven't actually worked out in like 2-3 years. I am sure you probably lift more than me if you are actually in sports and have to work out. I did 225 lbs on bench like 2 weeks ago at my friends house while drunk just to see if I could do it. I did it but I barely got it.

johngateswhiteley
02-28-2007, 04:19 AM
I don't know, I don't know how much you lift. But from looking at your pics, my arms are a lot bigger.

Considering I haven't actually worked out in like 2-3 years. I am sure you probably lift more than me if you are actually in sports and have to work out. I did 225 lbs on bench like 2 weeks ago at my friends house while drunk just to see if I could do it. I did it but I barely got it.

i see. i was actually asking to make a point, i don't care which of us lifts more.

on a side note, 225 is OK. i could bench 305 my senior year in high school and am much stronger now. though, i mainly work with dumbbells...i don't like barbell work.

mardigan
02-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Johnson also had a 41 inch vertical. And did anyone see Olsen from Miami run the 40? Kid was blazing, 4.45 for a tightend is spectacular. And im probably stronger than both of you

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Johnson also had a 41 inch vertical. And did anyone see Olsen from Miami run the 40? Kid was blazing, 4.45 for a tightend is spectacular. And im probably stronger than both of you

Olsen's time was good, but not better than Vernon Davis last year. IIRC, he ran a sub 4.4...

mardigan
02-28-2007, 10:58 AM
^^Yeah, I know what Davis ran, but how many tight ends have ever run a time like that, none. I wasnt comparing him to a freak of nature, just to the average NFL tight end who runs from a high 4.7 to a low 4.8

johngateswhiteley
02-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Johnson also had a 41 inch vertical. And did anyone see Olsen from Miami run the 40? Kid was blazing, 4.45 for a tightend is spectacular.

i thought johnson had a 45 inch vertical? and yes, despite what anybody says that 4.45 is incredible for a tight end.

mardigan
02-28-2007, 04:42 PM
41, 45, whatever its high as shit. And I totally agree with you on people trying to down play Olsens 40, that is a unbelievable time for a tight end

johngateswhiteley
02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
41, 45, whatever its high as shit. And I totally agree with you on people trying to down play Olsens 40, that is a unbelievable time for a tight end

while the amount of people that can jump 41 inches is fairly small, the amount that can jump 45 inches...is minute. Johnson is just a freak of nature.

i think anytime a tight end runs around a 4.5 or under, its amazing. and i don't know why anyone would try to downplay that, there are starting tailbacks in the NFL that don't run a 4.45.

mardigan
02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
I dont think many people have a 41 inch vert. Anyway though, Joe Thomas running a 4.9 is almost as impressive. Olsen will be a stud, reminds me of a faster Witten.

johngateswhiteley
02-28-2007, 04:55 PM
I dont think many people have a 41 inch vert.

they don't.

mardigan
02-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I read your post wrong

02-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Right before the combine:

Johnson was clocked at 4.33 in the 40, recorded an 11-foot standing broad jump and had a vertical leap of 43 inches.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/14/Bucs/Georgia_Tech_s_Johnso.shtml

Kid's going #1. Even Al Davis can't fuck that up....

mardigan
02-28-2007, 05:14 PM
And he weighs 240, what a freak

johngateswhiteley
02-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Right before the combine:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/14/Bucs/Georgia_Tech_s_Johnso.shtml

Kid's going #1. Even Al Davis can't fuck that up....

i could have swore he jumped 45 at the combine....can anybody confirm this?

02-28-2007, 05:19 PM
I hope the Raiders take Russell #1, though. I think if CJ slides to #2, Blank will throw a ton of picks to land him. Hopefully, Gruden and Allen have hard-ons for him as well and start a bidding war.

Don't get me wrong, I like Thomas, just not #2 overall. And if Millen takes a QB, I'll have no choice but to become a fan FA...

02-28-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't think he took part in the vert at the combine. I couldn't find any other numbers of his except his 40 time.

johngateswhiteley
02-28-2007, 05:30 PM
I don't think he took part in the vert at the combine. I couldn't find any other numbers of his except his 40 time.

hmm, guess i am mistaken.

02-28-2007, 05:32 PM
The 45" vert was from last year at GT. Some say he actually jumped an inch or two higher(device only goes to 45").

Cant_Be_Faded
02-28-2007, 07:00 PM
So this guy gained 20 pounds of muscle in one half of an offseason?

mardigan
02-28-2007, 07:17 PM
So this guy gained 20 pounds of muscle in one half of an offseason?
Apparently so, he weighed 239 at the weigh in, and the scouts expected him to be 225 or so

AFBlue
03-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Apparently so, he weighed 239 at the weigh in, and the scouts expected him to be 225 or so

He made a comment at the combine that his playing weight during his senior year was between 235 and 238, so no he didn't miraculously gain 20 pounds. He's listed at 225 by the ESPN website, but alot of those are terribly inacurrate (often taking guestimates from freshman year and not updating), plus he carries his weight well....meaning it's mostly muscle and he's so long. Scouts figured 225 because he doesn't look out of shape...that's a good thing.

mardigan
03-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Johnson dazzles during awesome pro day displayBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

ATLANTA -- He still isn't likely to be the first player selected overall, but Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson did nothing here Thursday during his "pro day" workout to dispel the notion that he is the premier prospect in this year's NFL draft class.

Kevin Terrell/WireImage.com
Calvin Johnson did nothing to depreciate his draft value at the Georgia Tech pro day Thursday.
Auditioning in front of about 75 league scouts and coaches assembled on the Georgia Tech campus, a group that included head coaches Lane Kiffin of the Oakland Raiders and the Washington Redskins' Joe Gibbs, Johnson dazzled the crowd with a rare combination of raw athleticism and polished receiving skills.

"Whatever they wanted to see," said Johnson, "I think I showed them."

And then some.

As expected, Johnson caught the ball well, making effortless grabs on passes thrown by former Yellow Jackets quarterback Damarius Bilbo and prospect Drew McKay of Liberty University.

Several receptions, during a session mostly directed by Detroit Lions scouts and coaches, came on balls that were thrown well outside of Johnson's body frame and for which he had to stretch out.

The 6-foot-5, 239-pound Johnson on Thursday eschewed the 40-yard dash, in which he was clocked at between 4.35-4.39 seconds at the combine workouts in Indianapolis last month. But he turned in sterling efforts of 42½ inches in the vertical jump and 11 feet, 7 inches in the long jump. He had not performed in those events at the combine.

Putting those numbers in some perspective: The best vertical jump by any of the participants at the combine was 41½ inches. And no one at the combine posted a long jump of better than 11 feet.

Said one regional scout from an AFC franchise: "For a guy that size to do the things that he does, and to make it all look so easy ... is amazing."

Johnson, who opted to bypass his final season of eligibility to enter the draft, is projected by most observers to be a top four choice on April 27. In 29 games for the Yellow Jackets, he had 127 receptions for 2,151 yards and 20 touchdowns.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com

DNS Error
03-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Calvin Johnson to the Raiders is what Joakim Noah is to us-a very nice prospect but one we dont need. Then again... nah Id rather have Oden as our dominating force or Durant as our big ticket getter.