PDA

View Full Version : 15 & 0 in March

BIG IRISH
02-27-2007, 01:41 AM
GETTING INSIDE
The Spurs face a Mt. Everest-type climb if they're going to catch either Dallas or Phoenix in the Western Conference playoff race. That said, scaling the giant is a lot easier than it used to be.

In order to make up an 8 1/2-game deficit to the Mavericks in the Southwest Division title race or a 4 1/2-game deficit to the Suns in the battle for the No. 2 playoff position in the Western Conference, the Spurs just might have to sweep through their March schedule. And you know what? Crazier things have happened.

First off, San Antonio will have to take care of business, at home, against the Raptors on Monday. A win there would extend the Spurs' winning streak to six and set the stage for a month of potential fun.

March begins with a home game against Orlando and then a four-game trip to Houston and three Western lightweights. If the Spurs can survive the Rockets, it's quite possible their streak could reach 16 before the Pistons arrive in Texas on March 23.

A win there would leave only the Jazz's visit on the 30th as a tough matchup. It really is a pretty easy month.

The question is: Would even a 15-0 March be enough to allow the Spurs to catch either of their impressive rivals by month's end? We just might get a chance to find out.

REPLAY: There's only one thing challenging for the Spurs when they host a meek team like the SuperSonics: Trying to shut down a true star like Ray Allen.

If Saturday's effort were any indication, even Kobe Bryant will want no part of a matchup with the Spurs in the playoffs.

Allen was hounded into 4-for-20 shooting as the Spurs limited the SuperSonics to a total of 25 points in the middle two quarters en route to a 102-71 thumping in San Antonio.

A fifth consecutive Spurs win was never in doubt, but the club's challenge to stop Allen didn't start so smoothly. The SuperSonics star hit his first shot — a 3-pointer — and then three consecutive hoops late in the first period (including another 3), giving him a 10-point quarter.

But other than a pair of free throws, that was it. The Spurs tag-teamed to harass Allen into 14 consecutive misses over the final 37 minutes of the game, which helped a seven-point San Antonio lead after one quarter turn into a 22-point margin by halftime and 33 after three.

NOTES, QUOTES

—The 71 points allowed in their 102-71 home victory over Seattle on Saturday night were the fewest given up by the Spurs in a game this season. The previous low had been 76 at Charlotte on Dec. 6.

—The Spurs have held opponents to fewer than 80 points five times this season. It has occurred both times they've played the SuperSonics, with San Antonio hanging a 98-78 defeat on Seattle in November.

—Don't expect Gregg Popovich to shackle Tim Duncan come playoff time, but the fact is: The Spurs are 9-2 when he's scored 15 or fewer points this season.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "You're considering that a dunk? Don't you have to touch the rim to consider it a dunk? A strong layup is what I'm calling it. He was proud of it, unfortunately." — Spurs forward Tim Duncan, enjoying a chuckle over a rare Bruce Bowen dunk Saturday night.

ROSTER REPORT

ROTATION: Starters — Point guard Tony Parker, Shooting guard Brent Barry, Small forward Bruce Bowen, Power forward Tim Duncan, Center Francisco Elson. Bench — Guard Jacque Vaughn, Guard Beno Udrih, Guard Manu Ginobili, Forward Michael Finley, Forward Robert Horry, Forward Matt Bonner, Center Fabricio Oberto.

PLAYER NOTES:

—Tim Duncan took just seven shots and scored only six points in the Spurs' 102-71 home victory over the SuperSonics on Saturday. It was the first time this season Duncan has been held to fewer than 10 points.

—Tony Parker paced the Spurs with 21 points. It was the 18th time this season the point guard has led or shared in the team lead in scoring. Duncan has held that distinction 22 times.

—Robert Horry connected on four 3-pointers to account for a majority of his 17 points off the bench. It was the first time all season he's made at least four 3-pointers in a game and just the second time he's hit at least three. His 17 points came in just 13 minutes.

—Matt Bonner scored all 13 of his points in the fourth quarter to come within one of a season high. The 13 points were one more than he'd totaled in all games since Jan. 9.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/notes.htm

Wouldn't it be nice :clap

DubMcDub
02-27-2007, 02:08 AM
That's a bit ambitious.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2007, 02:08 AM
If they go 11-4, that would be very good.

Horry For 3!
02-27-2007, 02:18 AM
Spurs were 11-3 in Dec

boutons_
02-27-2007, 02:37 AM
"Spurs were 11-3 in Dec"

Spurs had the NBA's best record at 20-6 on 20 Dec, and then collapsed.

ponky
02-27-2007, 02:55 AM
6 games in 9 days coming up for the spurs, go for it...i don't think the spurs will catch the mavs, although anything's possible, we have three guys out now and tomorrow will be tough

BeerIsGood!
02-27-2007, 02:58 AM
6 games in 9 days coming up for the spurs, go for it...i don't think the spurs will catch the mavs, although anything's possible, we have three guys out now and tomorrow will be tough

There's no way they're going 15-0 in March to follow a 6-0 end to Feb. to make a 21 - 0 streak. That's not going to happen. At least two teams are going to bite them, possibly a pissed off Detroit.

aaronstampler
02-27-2007, 02:58 AM
we have two back to backs coming up pretty soon so I don't think we'll be pulling off a 21 game winning streak.

All I care about is going 16 and something in May and June. It could be 16-12 (although I'd have a heart attack) and I'd be perfectly happy.

aaronstampler
02-27-2007, 03:00 AM
There's no way they're going 15-0 in March to follow a 6-0 end to Feb. to make a 21 - 0 streak. That's not going to happen. At least two teams are going to bite them, possibly a pissed off Detroit.

Pissed off or not, Webber's a pussy. That Webber-'Sheed doubleteam on Duncan isn't exactly the Big Ben-'Sheed doubleteam. And Prince is Manu's bitch.

A lot of teams on the sked worry me more than Detroit.

lefty
02-27-2007, 03:50 AM
March : 13-2 for sure

Cry Havoc
02-27-2007, 04:17 AM

AHAHAHA.

Greatest sig ever.

nkdlunch
02-27-2007, 10:18 AM
what happened? I thought we sucked

Extra Stout
02-27-2007, 11:08 AM
The Spurs would be unlikely to catch the Mavs even if they went undefeated the rest of the way.

GrandeDavid
02-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Kobe Bryant is ten times the player Ray Allen is. Bad comparison.

ArgSpursFan
02-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I don´t really care how many more wins we get,as long as I see this team play consistantly for 48 mins., I´ll be happy with it,and will make me feel more secure for the playoffs.
we´ll be the 3rd seed anyways,but who cares,we´ve got to beat everyone to win another title.

lebomb
02-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Unless Dirk, Josh Howard, and Terry all go down at the same time, there is NOWAY the Spurs catch Dallas

lebomb
02-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Kobe Bryant is ten times the player Ray Allen is. Bad comparison.

Player yes, shooter NO.

ArgSpursFan
02-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Unless Dirk, Josh Howard, and Terry all go down at the same time, there is NOWAY the Spurs catch Dallas

I wouldn´t be that sure.
The spurs are gonna play more like they have played the last 6 games in the playoffs tham when they lost to Dallas or the Suns.
We´ll see who is the last team standing at the end of the season.

LEONARD
02-27-2007, 11:40 AM

Injuries are piling up for the Mavs...JHo keeps rolling his ankle, George has been out a while, Buckner is banged up now...

It would take a massive Mavs let-down to have the Spurs catch them. Anything is possible though...

ArgSpursFan
02-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Injuries are piling up for the Mavs...JHo keeps rolling his ankle, George has been out a while, Buckner is banged up now...

It would take a massive Mavs let-down to have the Spurs catch them. Anything is possible though...

To catch them in the reg season,I don´t care.To beat them in the playoffs is what I was talking about.

LEONARD
02-27-2007, 11:50 AM
To catch them in the reg season,I don´t care.To beat them in the playoffs is what I was talking about.

I didn't quote you ;)

all I care about is the playoffs too...it's fun to see them dominate in the regular season though...

SenorSpur
02-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I want this team to streak, but not in an effort to catch Dallas or Phoenix. That's not even a realistic goal at this point. Rather, I want to see them start a double-digit winning streak to build up a ton of confidence and momentum heading down the stretch.

It's great that they're playing better, but they have to build on it. They're going to need ALL that momentum if they plan to scale Mt. Everest (Mavs).

lebomb
02-27-2007, 12:12 PM

I have to agree with this statement........... :clap

CubanMustGo
02-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Anyone who thinks we are going to catch the Mavs is on drugs.

If Dallas goes .500 the rest of the way (60-22), SA would have to go 21-4 just to tie.
If Dallas goes 17-9 (64-18), the Spurs would have to go undefeated to tie. And nine games is as many as the Mavs have lost in the first two-thirds of the season.

Get the picture?

LEONARD
02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Anyone who thinks we are going to catch the Mavs is on drugs.

If Dallas goes .500 the rest of the way (60-22), SA would have to go 21-4 just to tie.
If Dallas goes 17-9 (64-18), the Spurs would have to go undefeated to tie. And nine games is as many as the Mavs have lost in the first two-thirds of the season.

Get the picture?

Thank you...

sandman
02-27-2007, 12:30 PM
I want this team to streak, but not in an effort to catch Dallas or Phoenix. That's not even a realistic goal at this point. I want them double-digit winning streak rather for the team to build up a ton of confidence and momentum heading down the stretch.

It's great that they're playing better, but they have to build on it. They're going to need ALL that momentum if they plan to scale Mt. Everest (Mavs).

No disrespect to the Mavs for their great regular season, but Mt. Everest? The current core of the Spurs (Tim, Manu, Tony) have won 2 championships and missed a chance at a 3rd in overtime of Game 7 in the WCF last year. The success of last year's WCF and the regular season so far for the Mavs do not make them Mt. Everest. Best team in the L this year so far? Yes. The toughest opponent that the Spurs could possibly face in the playoffs? Yes. But they are not the model franchise that everyone is looking to dethrone. You actually have to be on the throne to get dethroned.

lefty
02-27-2007, 12:42 PM
AHAHAHA.

Greatest sig ever.

Thanks

Nashfan
02-27-2007, 01:17 PM

Getting your excuses ready just in case? :cry

JamStone
02-27-2007, 01:33 PM

Except for the fact that it says "objects in mirror are losing" and Tim Duncan's face is also in the mirror.

nkdlunch
02-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Except for the fact that it says "objects in mirror are losing" and Tim Duncan's face is also in the mirror.

great insight, still funny though

lefty
02-27-2007, 01:36 PM
:dramaquee

ponky
02-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Getting your excuses ready just in case? :cry

not really, i think we'll be fine, unless you haven't been watching the last couple of games without our guys...i was really just having fun with spurs fans because the idea of 15-0 is hilarious...unlike your team we can take a couple of guys out and still win

Nashfan
02-27-2007, 02:32 PM
not really, i think we'll be fine, unless you haven't been watching the last couple of games without our guys...i was really just having fun with spurs fans because the idea of 15-0 is hilarious...unlike your team we can take a couple of guys out and still win

But you cannot take Dirk out and whomever you want to insert for a frontline guy out and still win. :rolleyes