PDA

View Full Version : SPURS getting their act together

AFE7FATMAN
02-27-2007, 07:11 AM
by Jon Barry
ESPN.com

Answering a few questions after Monday's game in which the San Antonio Spurs dispatched the Toronto Raptors, 107-91 …
What's the latest inside word from Brent Barry, the Spurs guard?

I talked to my brother right after the All-Star break. He told me that he couldn't put his finger on the reason why, but he thinks the team will take off.

What signs do you see of this?

I think the two road wins they earned at the end of the first half, right before the All-Star break, beating Detroit and New Jersey, were crucial. A good sign of a revival for a team that had its struggles in the first half.

The thrashing of the Raptors gave them a season-high six wins in a row. Are we seeing a revving-up process?

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had said earlier in the year about how important it is to be playing your best ball in April. That's all well and good, but if you're not the 1 or 2 seed in the West, the row you have to hoe is difficult.

At their current No. 3 seed, you're looking at a first-round matchup most likely with the Lakers, or maybe the Rockets or Jazz. Then you have to go through Dallas and Phoenix in the next two rounds.

It's hard to believe a team could beat them both. But you can't count out a team that has three players like Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan.

The centers in the Spurs' lineup have been revamped compared to last year's team. The Wrath of Rasho (Nesterovic, the exiled Spurs center who scored a season-high 18 points for the Raps) was felt early on. How are the new middlemen working out for the Spurs?

They decided to go with Fabricio Oberto and Francisco Elson over Nesterovic and Nazr Mohammed. Earlier this year, when I had asked Popovich about losing Rasho, he made a point of saying that they chose to do it.

So, the numbers from the new centers are basically the same, but the interior D is not. Elson is not a Nesterovic or Mohammad in terms of size. I always liked the Spurs' approach of using ball pressure to funnel guys into two 7-footers like David Robinson and Duncan.

A total of 10 international players saw time in this game, including Spain's World Champion members Jorge Garbajosa and Jose Calderon. The latter had a hard time with France's Parker (27 points). Good call by the NBA to broadcast this one on its international channel?

Oh yeah. I thought I was watching an Olympic game.

The Raptors, though carried early by Rasho, didn't have a great night. Still, they came in with the best record (18-7) in the East in 2007. Good things ahead for the Atlantic Division leaders?

They got a test against one of the better teams from the West. They're not ready for that big Western stage, but they're in the East, and they're going to be in the playoffs and will get some good experience. I give credit to coach Sam Mitchell for recognizing this team couldn't go with a wild, take-100-shots approach it started this year with. It didn't work, they recognized it, changed their approach and have been better for it.

Could the Raps take a playoff series as, say, the No. 4 seed?

They could. To me, Detroit is distancing itself from the rest of the field. But a 7 beating a 2 wouldn't surprise me. Washington could beat any of the East teams. And what if Dwyane Wade came back and the Heat had the eight spot to face Detroit in the first round? The East is up for grabs.

ESPN analyst Jon Barry retired last year after 14 years in the NBA.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070227

TDMVPDPOY
02-27-2007, 08:10 AM
pistons would be coming back to the finals imo

with the inclusion of webber to the team, is like 03/04 season again with rasheed jumpin ship, which turn them into contenders, first half of 06/07 without ben wallace didnt stop them from winning games....

smeagol
02-27-2007, 08:40 AM
SPAM is back

LEONARD
02-27-2007, 09:07 AM
6 game win streak? Damn...pretty impressive... ;)

The Spurs will be strong in the playoffs as usual...anybody that thinks they won't be is fooling themselves...

Borosai
02-27-2007, 09:14 AM
I doubt they will put together long winning streaks this year, but as long as they continue playing like they give a shit, they will definitely make a good run. This year's playoffs should be very competitive (at least in the West).

Supergirl
02-27-2007, 09:41 AM
I agree that the East is up for grabs. Detroit clearly looks like the team to beat, but Chicago is just a modicum of maturity away from being better (Translation - probably another season) and Detroit is just a serious injury to Sheed or Chauncey away from a serious fall.

Miami, Washington, or Cleveland could pull an upset of anyone, especially depending on who's still standing come playoff time.

And in the west, a 7 game series and no back to backs could be the difference maker for the Spurs. The Mavs and the Suns have had a lighter schedule and gotten some lucky bounces. In a 7 game series, the Spurs can still grind it out against them, and I believe they will, since they'll have to face one of them in the West Finals. As it stands right now, I'm gonna have to go with the Suns, because I think they'll knock the Mavs off for everyone. Amare will dominate Dirk and show him who's boss.

kskonn
02-27-2007, 11:39 AM
I agree that the East is up for grabs. Detroit clearly looks like the team to beat, but Chicago is just a modicum of maturity away from being better (Translation - probably another season) and Detroit is just a serious injury to Sheed or Chauncey away from a serious fall.

Miami, Washington, or Cleveland could pull an upset of anyone, especially depending on who's still standing come playoff time.

And in the west, a 7 game series and no back to backs could be the difference maker for the Spurs. The Mavs and the Suns have had a lighter schedule and gotten some lucky bounces. In a 7 game series, the Spurs can still grind it out against them, and I believe they will, since they'll have to face one of them in the West Finals. As it stands right now, I'm gonna have to go with the Suns, because I think they'll knock the Mavs off for everyone. Amare will dominate Dirk and show him who's boss.

If the suns finished ranked no 2 then they would be facing someone besides the spurs in the WCF. If the spurs finish 3rd they would most likely see the suns in the second round.

Dirk Nowitzki
02-27-2007, 12:56 PM
6 game win streak? Damn...pretty impressive... ;)

The Spurs will be strong in the playoffs as usual...anybody that thinks they won't be is fooling themselves...

Well I dont just expect them to lie down and just give us the series, but I can see us winning it in a non dramatic 5 game series. I just dont think they are as good as last year. They are just on a hot streak (which playoff teams always tend to do). I can see them advancing to the 2nd round but that's it. The Suns and Mavs are clearly the 2 best teams in the league and the WCF will feature that exact matchup.

kskonn
02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Well I dont just expect them to lie down and just give us the series, but I can see us winning it in a non dramatic 5 game series. I just dont think they are as good as last year. They are just on a hot streak (which playoff teams always tend to do). I can see them advancing to the 2nd round but that's it. The Suns and Mavs are clearly the 2 best teams in the league and the WCF will feature that exact matchup.

I think the spurs would take the suns in a seven game series. the spurs play the suns well and anytime the suns hit a team in the playoffs that forces them to play more of a half court game, they struggle.

Dave McNulla
02-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Well I dont just expect them to lie down and just give us the series, but I can see us winning it in a non dramatic 5 game series. I just dont think they are as good as last year. They are just on a hot streak (which playoff teams always tend to do). I can see them advancing to the 2nd round but that's it. The Suns and Mavs are clearly the 2 best teams in the league and the WCF will feature that exact matchup. clearly.

other teams that were clearly better than everybody else: 1995 spurs, jazz, and suns. 1973 celtics and bucks. 1994 sonics. 1986 lakers.

baseline bum
02-27-2007, 03:58 PM
clearly.

other teams that were clearly better than everybody else: 1995 spurs, jazz, and suns. 1973 celtics and bucks. 1994 sonics. 1986 lakers.

God... the 73 Celtics were like 68-14, the third greatest record in NBA history at the time (and until 1996).

SRJ
02-27-2007, 04:08 PM
God... the 73 Celtics were like 68-14, the third greatest record in NBA history at the time (and until 1996).

IIRC, the Celtics had a key injury in the playoffs that season. The 73 Celtics aside, 65 or more wins is basically an automatic ticket to a championship. Eleven teams have won 65+ and ten won it all - the one exception being the 73 C's.

Obstructed_View
02-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Wasn't 2000 the last time the teams with the best record from each conference met in the finals? I've seen the Spurs finish with the best regular season record and not win enough times that it doesn't mean much to me anymore. Being healthy, playing with confidence on both ends and fighting for rebounds are more important IMHO.

Pugglekicker_21
02-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Dont we play the Rockets this week? We have to make sure not to overlook them in the playoffs, which I think the Spurs are too smart to do. But you know. we have to make sure to establish some form of hmm whats the word Im looking for? A littler less stronger than control. whatever. we have to establish a form of that during our remaining games against HOU and Utah

ShoogarBear
02-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Um, isn't Flip still coaching the Pistons?

dbreiden83080
02-27-2007, 06:51 PM

We will beat the Suns in the 2nd round IMO. They are intimidated by the Spurs physical play and title experience. The Suns are a soft ass team when it is all on the line they fade away. You guys would be the favorites because of how you have played all year but if the Spurs are playing like this no way you take us out in 5.

baseline bum
02-27-2007, 07:53 PM
IIRC, the Celtics had a key injury in the playoffs that season. The 73 Celtics aside, 65 or more wins is basically an automatic ticket to a championship. Eleven teams have won 65+ and ten won it all - the one exception being the 73 C's.

64 sure isn't though... the 06 Pistons, 98 Jazz, and 94 Sonics were all 64-18.

samikeyp
02-27-2007, 07:55 PM
6 game win streak? Damn...pretty impressive..

hey the way the Spurs have been up and down this year....it is. :)

Dirk Nowitzki
03-01-2007, 07:17 AM
We will beat the Suns in the 2nd round IMO. They are intimidated by the Spurs physical play and title experience. The Suns are a soft ass team when it is all on the line they fade away. You guys would be the favorites because of how you have played all year but if the Spurs are playing like this no way you take us out in 5.

:drunk :drunk The Spurs arent the physical team they once were.

TDMVPDPOY
03-01-2007, 07:41 AM
for us to win, we gotto tell parker there is no more trapdoors on the court for him to pull his disappearing act, plz no more 2 game illusions mr. parkerfield

LilMissSPURfect
03-01-2007, 11:53 AM
:drunk :drunk The Spurs arent the physical team they once were.

funny...i member hearing soft and mermaids thoughout the years........

adyer
03-01-2007, 12:05 PM
"Good heavens, Mr. Spock! Did they say a SIX-GAME WIN STREAK?"
"Yes, Mr. Scott, they did. Even more remarkable is that they consider it...meaningful."
"Och! A wee bit more and they might be a blip on the sensors."
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/adyer/Spockonshuttlecraft.jpg

Dirk Nowitzki
03-01-2007, 12:08 PM
"Yes, Mr. Scott, they did. Even more remarkable is that they consider it...meaningful."

:lol :lol

Dirk Nowitzki
03-01-2007, 12:09 PM
funny...i member hearing soft and mermaids thoughout the years........

This current Mavs team has a major edge in physical play over this current Spurs team. They know how to crash the boards and play lockdown defense in the 4th. This is exactly what the Spurs used to be!

Trainwreck2100
03-01-2007, 12:11 PM
very rough time ahead

cheguevara
03-01-2007, 12:14 PM

hahaha finally an entertaining Mav poster. Is there a lunar eclipse tonight

angel_luv
03-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Earlier this year, when I had asked Popovich about losing Rasho, he made a point of saying that they chose to do it.

Boo!

The centers in the Spurs' lineup have been revamped compared to last year's team. The Wrath of Rasho (Nesterovic, the exiled Spurs center who scored a season-high 18 points for the Raps) was felt early on.

Yea! :)

Borosai
03-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Clearly, at this point the Mavs are favored by most to win it all this year. As a result, the Spurs would go into that matchup as the underdog, placing all the pressure on the Mavs. Dallas fans are going nuts this year imagining what winning a championship will be like...they can almost taste it.

Now imagine if they lose, and especially if they lose to the Spurs. I believe traffic in Dallas will come to a halt as all those fans jump in front of moving vehicles to ease the pain.

Ouch.

1techsan
03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I detect minor distortions in the field Mr. Spock, it appears that it might be possible that one of the aliens "gets it".

But Captain, we have not detected any intelligence among the locals.

I see what you mean Spock, there are MIchael FInley posters everywhere.

1techsan
03-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I have spurs that jingle jangle jingle, as I go riding merrily along.

Yeah, the old west, the thrilling days of yesteryear, when men were men. In todays world, the only Cowboys that wear spurs are the ones down at the Blue Oyster Bar. I can't go there. Not that there is anything wrong with that but, I don't like the N'Sync and Cher music.

viggenja37
03-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Awwwww....You're just saying that to make me feel better....

http://www.nba.com/media/mf_600_070128.jpg

adyer
03-01-2007, 12:37 PM
"Greeting, Vulcan-man! The shtick is groovy!"
"Indeed. The shtick is...as you colloquially put it...groovy"
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/adyer/SpockandHippies.jpg

Trainwreck2100
03-01-2007, 12:39 PM
I detect minor distortions in the field Mr. Spock, it appears that it might be possible that one of the aliens "gets it".

But Captain, we have not detected any intelligence among the locals.

I see what you mean Spock, there are MIchael FInley posters everywhere.

next time post the picture

Trainwreck2100
03-01-2007, 12:40 PM
http://p073.ezboard.com/fdallasbasketballdotcomfrm2.showMessageRange?topic ID=28632.topic&start=1&stop=20

adyer the one rule about the good troll job is to not use the same name

adyer
03-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Nah, I don't care.

1techsan
03-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Trolls are fun at parties, especially if cheese is served. Is there cheese here?

Trainwreck2100
03-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Nah, I don't care.

of course you don't :tu for trying something new though. I find it's too easy to troll by posting argumentative stuff.

1techsan
03-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Mr. Spock are detecting any life forces here?

No Captain, nothing is moving.

Aw, must be the Spurs Practice Facility.

Trainwreck2100
03-01-2007, 12:58 PM

Mr. Spock are detecting any life forces here?

No Captain, nothing is moving.

Aw, must be the Spurs Practice Facility.

The captain isn't in the shot. And have you seen their practic facility, they have an underwater treadmill, i want one of those.

1techsan
03-01-2007, 01:12 PM
The captain isn't in the shot. And have you seen their practic facility, they have an underwater treadmill, i want one of those.

Kirk went for Cheeseburgers at Whataburger, he is calling Spock over the radio. Sorry for not being clear. Spock of course is vegetarian, which means that you can take your dog to him if the dog is sick, and the vegetarian will make him better.

Meanwhile at the neutral zone, a group of illegal Romulans were detained while attempting to smuggle in drugs from Canadian pharmacies.

Trainwreck2100
03-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Kirk went for Cheeseburgers at Whataburger, he is calling Spock over the radio. Sorry for not being clear. Spock of course is vegetarian, which means that you can take your dog to him if the dog is sick, and the vegetarian will make him better.

Meanwhile at the neutral zone, a group of illegal Romulans were detained while attempting to smuggle in drugs from Canadian pharmacies.

well then Kirk needs to go back to grammar scool because he wasn't "here" but "there" so the proper english is there not here

adyer
03-01-2007, 01:20 PM
I find it's too easy to troll by posting argumentative stuff.Yeah, it's a vicious circle...I don't like it. I want to be able to laugh and back out at any time.

And the fun of this is that I'm daring Spurs fans not to laugh. We all need to keep our sense of humor. Some of them might not find it funny but...ah, well...

The thing of it is, this shtick is not as easy as it looks. You have to pick a picture that you can easily picture the dialog taking place. You have to capture the personalities and styles as accurately as possible, etc. The only downside is folks who are not really into ST and won't get it. So far it has a pretty good reception at db.com. Well...I haven't been banned for it...

1techsan
03-01-2007, 01:23 PM
well then Kirk needs to go back to grammar scool because he wasn't "here" but "there" so the proper english is there not here

Incorrect sir, he was asking Spock if he detected any life forces here meaning where he Kirk is at the Whataburger. Of course, if you have ever been to a Whataburger you would know that there is no intelligent life there.

And If you want to be picky. English is always capitalized. But I give you a B for trying your best, and at the next assembly you will be awarded a gold star for your Kharma unless you drive a different kind of car.

Trainwreck2100
03-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Incorrect sir, he was asking Spock if he detected any life forces here meaning where he Kirk is at the Whataburger. Of course, if you have ever been to a Whataburger you would know that there is no intelligent life there.

And If you want to be picky. English is always capitalized. But I give you a B for trying your best, and at the next assembly you will be awarded a gold star for your Kharma unless you drive a different kind of car.

I usually only capitallize names when I'm typing with one hand.......................I have pizza in the other you sick pervs

xamila rey
03-01-2007, 03:32 PM

:lol AT UR SIG

Agloco
03-01-2007, 04:17 PM
The problem I have with the streak is that its come against inferior competition, save Detroit.

The upcoming road trip will tell us a lot about how far they have really come. Houston up first then a 4 game west coast swing. In years past the spurs go 5-0 or at least 4-1 on this trip.

If they've truly rounded a corner, we should see a record of no worse than 4-1, with one of the wins coming in Houston..........

Lets see what they do on this trip first eh?