PDA

View Full Version : Defense!!!

Kent_in_Atlanta
02-27-2007, 10:55 AM
With the exception of the 4th period (combination mental letdown and the fact that TD sat out most of the 4th), the Spurs turned in another stellar defensive effort.

Again, Elson did a very nice job... blocking a shot and altering numerous others in limited minutes. He is beginning to look like a very nice compliment to Timmy on the defensive end of the floor.

The intensity has definitely ratcheted up. Seems as thought the boys in black are beginning to catch the scent of springtime basketball. To Mavs and Suns fans who want to believe that the Spurs were washed up... no such luck.

When you have a veteran team like this, they know enough to save a little energy for when it counts. They'll be ready when it counts.

steppy
02-27-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm happy they're making improvements. I hope it is a consistent thing and not just some fluke. I'll feel a lot better a month from now if they're still showing the same conentration and intensity.

It's a poor excuse but I'm wondering if they were truly bored during the first half of the season as others have hypothesized. I know I get bored at my job and it does cause my performance to suffer. This would go for anyone I suppose. It's probably difficult when all you want to do is get to the playoffs and face they opponent that ended your season a year ago.

MoSpur
02-27-2007, 11:06 AM
I think the Spurs are just starting to turn the corner. I hope they keep this up. I don't want them to get ahead of themselves.

Kent_in_Atlanta
02-27-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm happy they're making improvements. I hope it is a consistent thing and not just some fluke. I'll feel a lot better a month from now if they're still showing the same conentration and intensity.

It's a poor excuse but I'm wondering if they were truly bored during the first half of the season as others have hypothesized. I know I get bored at my job and it does cause my performance to suffer. This would go for anyone I suppose. It's probably difficult when all you want to do is get to the playoffs and face they opponent that ended your season a year ago.

Steppy, I think that when you have a veteran team like this that's been down this road so many times... there's got
to be something in the back of your head that tells you this (the regular season, and the first half in particular) isn't overly important. As much as you try to tell yourself to play each game as though it were your last... inside you know that it's just 1 of 82, and that you're going to be in the playoffs no matter what.

You've won plenty of big games on the road, and you just lost a series to the Mavs in which you had home court. It's got to be nearly impossible for them to be as motivated early on as the younger stars in Dallas and Phoenix.

A veteran team will pace themselves. The Suns and Mavs will get all the glory right now, and I think that's fine. If you look at the average number of minutes played by Tim and Manu... the Spurs should be in very good shape come playoff time.