PDA

View Full Version : Dow Drop? Blame Vista!

Nbadan
02-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Technical glitches plague Wall Street

Dow Jones says problem with DJIA reporting caused dramatic decline; NYSE says trading was interrupted due to intermittent technical problems.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- As the Dow Jones industrial average suffered its biggest one-day point loss in 5-1/2 years Tuesday afternoon, traders were blind to the severity of the fall due to technical problems.

"Around 2:00 pm today the market's extraordinarily heavy trading volume caused a delay in the Dow Jones data systems and as a result, the calculation of the Dow Jones Industrial Average temporarily lagged behind the market decline and as we identified the problem we decided to switch over to a back-up system and the result was a rapid catch-up in the published value of the Dow Jones Industrial Average," explained a Dow Jones spokeswoman.

When the back up system was activated around 3:00pm, the delay was eliminated and the numbers on the big board caught up immediately with market activity.

"The drop lag that occurred in a minute should should have happened over a period of 20, 30 or 40 minutes," the spokeswoman said.

CNN Money (http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/27/markets/dow_drop/index.htm)

Maybe I'm wrong here, but if this ' technicle glitch' was that sell orders weren't getting processed while that would make a drop steeper once the sell orders did go through, wouldn't also that tend to minimize the total daily drop in stock prices, since people didn't realize that others were selling, hence less panic-driven sales?

I mean, from what I've read, they haven't alleged that the 'glitch' created sales transactions out of thin air -- it just backed them up for awhile, making the market appear more stable than it actually was at that hour. Thus, fewer people were motivated to sell than perhaps would have been if the market had more gradually descended to the level it finally did by the end of the day.

Nbadan
02-28-2007, 02:47 AM
Here we go again...

World markets plunge for second day
By HANS GREIMEL, Associated Press Writer

TOKYO - Stock markets plunged across much of Asia for a second day Wednesday amid jitters about a sell-off in China's stock market and a worries about a possible slowdown in the Chinese and U.S. economies.

Shares in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines and Indonesia all tumbled more than 3 percent in morning trading, following dismal overnight losses on Wall Street, the worst since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

In China, stock modestly recovered from their 9 percent plunge Tuesday — their biggest drop in a decade. The Shanghai Composite Index was up 1.2 percent to 2,804.28.

But investors in other Asian markets dumped shares Wednesday, with Japan's Nikkei 225 stock index down 644.85 points, or 3.56 percent, to 17,475.07 points at the close of the morning session.

Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070228/ap_on_bi_ge/world_markets)

Cant_Be_Faded
02-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I cannot believe people have not been talking about this....Jochchchcfuckingchchchjajam makes a stupid thread not even worth wiping an ounce of smegma on, and people reply to it like retards

yet not one worthwhile discussion about a potential chode bloading of the world economy

I think its all blss so far, but its becoming apparent China owns the world.

velik_m
03-01-2007, 02:59 AM
I blame it on the democratic congress.

AFE7FATMAN
03-01-2007, 05:46 AM
http://ibdeditorials.com/IMAGES/cartoons/toon030107.gif