PDA

View Full Version : Free Trade mythology

BradLohaus
02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Free Trade and Funny Math
by Patrick J. Buchanan Posted: 02/27/2007

To the devout libertarian, free trade is not a policy option to be debated, but a dogma to be defended. Nowhere is this more true than at that lamasery of libertarianism, the Cato Institute.

But with America running the worst trade deficits in history, the monks are having a hellish time of it. Hence, like the neocons who cherry-picked the intel to stovepipe to Scooter to bamboozle us into believing national survival hung on invading Iraq, they feed us irrelevant truths and deny us the whole truth.

Case in point -- the Feb. 22 column in The Washington Times by one Daniel Ikenson, "associate director at the Cato Institute's Center for Trade Policy Studies." Bewailing the "barrage of hyperbole and misinformation about trade and its relationship to jobs and economic growth," Ikenson assured us, with impressive statistics, that globalism is working out wonderfully well for America.

"(T)he Census Bureau data show that U.S. export growth was phenomenal in 2006, increasing by 14.5 percent. ... Exports to Europe increased by 15.2 percent and to China by nearly 32 percent. The growth in exports to Japan was a slower 7.5 percent, but it grew. Since 2001, U.S. exports have increased by more than 42 percent."

Wow. Phenomenal indeed. And it does sound like we are cleaning those foreigners' clocks. But Ikenson ignored the other side of the ledger.

That the U.S. trade deficit in 2006 rose to an all-time record of $764 billion. That the deficit in goods hit $836 billion. That the deficit with China rose 15 percent, from $203 billion in 2005 to $233 billion in 2006, the largest trade deficit ever recorded between two nations. That the deficit with Japan rose to $88 billion, the largest ever between us.

Under Bush, the U.S. trade deficit has set five straight world records, as has the U.S. trade deficit in autos, parts and trucks. So reports Charles MacMillion of MBG Services, who has for years tracked the decline and fall of American manufacturing.

For manufactured goods, our trade deficit rose to $536 billion, from $504 billion. In Bush's six years, America has run a total trade deficit of $2.6 trillion in manufactured goods, as 3 million U.S. manufacturing jobs have disappeared and wages in that sector have fallen 3 percent in three years.

Query to Ikenson: If these numbers represent a successful trade policy, what would a failed trade policy look like?

Recall NAFTA. In 1993, we had a trade surplus with Mexico. Some of us warned it would be gone with the wind if NAFTA passed. And NAFTA did pass, through the collaboration of Clinton Democrats with Gingrich Republicans, over the opposition of the American people.

Since 1994, we have run a trade deficit with Mexico every year. In 2006, it hit a record $60 billion. Grand total: almost $500 billion in trade deficits with Mexico since NAFTA. Mexico now exports more than 900,000 vehicles to the United States every year, while the United States exports fewer than 600,000 cars and trucks to the entire world.

This is success?

Where did Mexico get an auto industry? Is it good that our auto industry is being exported? Has the price of a new car plunged because Mexicans get paid a fraction of what U.S. autoworkers earn?

"In 2006, the U.S. economy grew by an additional 3.4 percent," writes Ikenson. True, and China's economy grew by 10 percent -- and by 140 percent over the last 10 years, tripling the growth in the United States. Not only are we shipping factories, technology, equipment and jobs to China, we are exporting our future to China.

Nor should this shock any student of history. For contrary to free-trade mythology, every nation that has risen to pre-eminence and power -- Britain before 1860, the United States from 1860-1914, Germany from 1870-1914, postwar Japan, China today -- has pursued a mercantilist or protectionist trade policy.

Economic nationalism is the policy of rising powers, free trade the policy of declining powers. For great powers have ever regarded trade as an arena of struggle in the clash of nations. It is no accident all four presidents who made it to Mount Rushmore were protectionists.

"Thank God I am not a free trader," wrote Theodore Roosevelt. "Pernicious indulgence in the doctrine of free trade seems inevitably to produce fatty degeneration of the moral fibre."

Think Teddy might have had a point, Mr. Ikenson?

Probably not. For libertarianism is an ideology, and evidence that contradicts the dogma of an ideology is to be disregarded or denied. For the dogma cannot be wrong.

Indeed, should Ikenson awake from his dogmatic slumber and decide that free trade is failing America, he would not last long as associate director of the Cato Institute's Center for Trade Policy Studies. The folks who fund Cato are not paying to have dogma debated, but defended. For if the dogma be untrue, then the ideology, the whole system of beliefs, the faith itself, is called into question. And we can't have that.

Nbadan
02-28-2007, 01:34 AM
Patrick J. Buchanan

Wow...Pat Buchanan wrote this? Not Pat Buchanan right?

BradLohaus
02-28-2007, 02:55 AM
I used to think the same way about Pat Buchanan that I bet you and alot of people do. But then I started watching him on the McLaughlin group, and I had the same reaction you had above. Then I took the time to read some of his stuff. He hates the neo-cons. You and alot of people probably will hate his social views, but I can promise you that you will agree completely on virtually all of his foreign policy and economic views. For example, he was against the Iraq war from the very beginning, and he was quite possibly the leading voice against NAFTA. His anti globalization/free trade book The Great Betrayal is very good. Even the Village Voice, of all papers, is included on the back cover in support.

He was smeared as a racist by the big money backers of the GOP to make sure that guys like Bush 1 and Dole got the Republican nomination in the past. He stated when running for the GOP nomination that he would get rid of the IRS and the Federal Reserve. It's no surprise that everything was done to make sure his campaign was crushed, just as Ron Paul's will be if he gets some surprise momentum like Pat did in the 90's.

101A
02-28-2007, 10:34 AM
I like Buchanan, generally. The problem with this article is that is defines the trade imbalance as the bad end in and of itself. Buchanan needs to define what that trade imbalance means to the daily lives of Americans.

I expect the argument from the free-traders would be, "fine, we have an imbalance...but we also have solid growth, historically low interest rates, unemployment levels AND relatively insignificant inflation."

Also, the growth rate disparity between China and the U.S. is silly. My 6 year old grew 10% last year (still the shortest in his class), but my 12 year old only grew 3% (now 6'1" - 185lbs); all things are relative.

Yonivore
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Almost 2 years old but, still applicable.

Our trade deficit (http://www.washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20050530-094026-9846r)

Published May 31, 2005

I buy more from my grocer than he buys from me, and I bet it's the same with you and your grocer. That means we have a trade deficit with our grocers. Does our perpetual grocer trade deficit portend doom? If we heeded some pundits and politicians who are talking about our national trade deficit, we might think so. But do we have a trade deficit in the first place? Let's look at it.

Insofar as the grocer example, there are two accounts I hold. One is my "goods" account, consisting of groceries. The other is my "capital" account, or money. Let's look at what happens when I purchase groceries.

Say I purchase $100 worth of groceries. The value of my goods account rises by $100. That rise is matched by an equal $100 decline in my capital account. Adding a plus $100 to a minus $100 yields a perfect trade balance. That transaction, from my grocer's point of view, results in his goods account falling by $100, but when he accepts my cash, his capital account rises by $100, again a trade balance.

The principle here differs not one iota if my grocer was located in another country as opposed to down the street. There would still be a trade balance when both the goods account and the capital account are considered.

Imbalances in goods accounts are all over the place: My grocer buys more from his wholesaler than his wholesaler buys from him. The wholesaler buys more from the manufacturer than the manufacturer buys from him, but when capital accounts is put into the mix, in each case trade is balanced.

International trade operates under the identical principle. When we as consumers purchase goods from China, and the Chinese don't purchase a like amount of goods from us, a trade deficit is said to exist. But instead of purchasing goods, the Chinese might purchase corporate stocks, bonds or U.S. Treasury debt instruments. Just as in my grocer example, there is a balance of trade. The deficit in our nation's goods and services account, sometimes called current account, is matched by a surplus of equal magnitude in our capital account.

A large portion of surpluses in our capital account consists of U.S. Treasury debt instruments held by foreigners. As of June 2004, China held nearly $200 billion, Japan more than $1 trillion, and Europe combined held more than $2 trillion.

Some politicians gripe about all the U.S. debt held by foreigners. Only a politician can have that kind of audacity. Guess who's creating the debt instruments foreigners hold? If you said it's our profligate Congress, go to the head of the class. If foreigners didn't purchase so much of our debt, we would be worse off with higher inflation and interest rates.

What about foreigners possibly dumping our debt? Foreigners aren't stupid. Dumping large amounts of Treasury bonds would depress their value. Foreigners and we would both take a hit.

That foreigners are willing to exchange massive amounts of goods in exchange for slips of paper in the forms of currency, stocks and bonds should be a source of pride. It means America, with its wealth, rule of law and the sanctity of contracts, inspires foreigners to hold large amounts of their wealth in U.S. obligations.

That willingness means something else: Trade increases competition. Ultimately it's competition, many producers competing for his dollar, that truly protects the consumer.

What protects producers, at the expense of consumers, are restrictions on competition. The quest to restrict competition is at the heart of trade deficit demagoguery. When did you last hear a consumer complain about buying more from a Chinese or Japanese producer than the producer buys from him?

boutons_
02-28-2007, 02:29 PM
What he leaves out is that once the US sells debt abroad to finance a bullshit war, or domestic deficit spending, or US imports exceeding exports, those commercial actions are transacted once, but the INTEREST on the US debt must be paid every year with hard cash (which is why those "alien" bankers lend us money in the first place)

http://www.rgemonitor.com/blog/economonitor/149587