PDA

View Full Version : Official Possible Long, Athletic 3 Thread

Solid D
02-28-2007, 12:50 AM
If I can find one or two, Presti had better be too. I'm holding him to a higher standard this year.

Come correct, Sammy!
:fro

http://www.biz.colostate.edu/faculty/tedw/Africa2005/Africa%202005.htm

http://www.biz.colostate.edu/faculty/tedw/Africa2005/Africa32RES.jpg
Some of the traits of a Maasai warrior include tall and slender.
How high one can jump vertically is a way of attracting a potential wife.

http://www.biz.colostate.edu/faculty/tedw/Africa2005/Africa37RES.jpg
How high a young warrior can jump is a means of attracting a future wife (or two). Brides may be acquired by a dowry of cows to the bride's father.

Sam, it's time to be beating the bushes.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2007, 12:54 AM
I think they are waiting for this guy.

6'8
18-years-old

**** impresses many coaches with his all-around game. He never hesitates to display his versatility. He has good range on his jump shot and hits the mid-range jumper with relative ease. He has the ability to put the ball of the ground and penetrate to the basket if he is defended by a slower guy. In addition to his skills away from the basket, he also has a good repertoire of post moves and solid footwork in the paint. He rebounds the basketball very well and does not shy away from contact on the interior. He has outstanding athletic ability that will help him immensely on the next level. He proved his mettle and talent in some outstanding performances on the summer camp circuit. He has a high basketball IQ.

Guess who?

T Park
02-28-2007, 01:00 AM
That the guy that RC Buford gave food and board to?

Kori Ellis
02-28-2007, 01:02 AM
That the guy that RC Buford gave food and board to?

Yes. Alexis Wangmene, RC's adopted son who will be playing at UT next year.

Mark in Austin
02-28-2007, 01:11 AM
Garnett can opt out after the '07-'08 season according to the recent ESPN.com article. :spin

The real target of the '08 plan (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2777978)

TDMVPDPOY
02-28-2007, 01:18 AM
Yes. Alexis Wangmene, RC's adopted son who will be playing at UT next year.

the question is, when he declares, he wont drop down to us unless we start pulling some of trades our of our asses, tank, or expect him to fake a shitty performance...

Mr. Body
02-28-2007, 03:36 AM
Balls to the wall to get Jeff Green this summer or I quit!!

Garnett can opt out after the '07-'08 season according to the recent ESPN.com article. :spin

The real target of the '08 plan (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2777978)

So are Elton Brand and Jermaine O'Neal available, too. My thought is Plan 2008 is clearing enough room to go after Garnett, Brand, then, failling that, JON. But I think Garnett will be hard pressed to say No.

JPB
02-28-2007, 04:34 AM
I think they are waiting for this guy.

6'8
18-years-old

**** impresses many coaches with his all-around game. He never hesitates to display his versatility. He has good range on his jump shot and hits the mid-range jumper with relative ease. He has the ability to put the ball of the ground and penetrate to the basket if he is defended by a slower guy. In addition to his skills away from the basket, he also has a good repertoire of post moves and solid footwork in the paint. He rebounds the basketball very well and does not shy away from contact on the interior. He has outstanding athletic ability that will help him immensely on the next level. He proved his mettle and talent in some outstanding performances on the summer camp circuit. He has a high basketball IQ.

Guess who?

Damn, until you mentioned the summer camp, I really thought you were talking about french phenom, Nicolas Batum. He correponds very well to the description.

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 06:41 AM
Damn, until you mentioned the summer camp, I really thought you were talking about french phenom, Nicolas Batum. He correponds very well to the description.

Batum weighs 190 by most reports. I'm not saying he can't get up to 220, but he's far from 235...

JPB
02-28-2007, 06:53 AM
Batum weighs 190 by most reports. I'm not saying he can't get up to 220, but he's far from 235...

Didn't see the height and weight measures at the top...

Well, other than that, the description matches pretty well.

101A
02-28-2007, 09:48 AM

So are Elton Brand and Jermaine O'Neal available, too. My thought is Plan 2008 is clearing enough room to go after Garnett, Brand, then, failling that, JON. But I think Garnett will be hard pressed to say No.

Pulling this out my ass, and too lazy to look it up, but I believe D. Howard is ALSO available that summer. Paybacks a bitch, Orlando.

TDMVPDPOY
02-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Pulling this out my ass, and too lazy to look it up, but I believe D. Howard is ALSO available that summer. Paybacks a bitch, Orlando.

the only way i see him comin here is either

magic are not gettin talent around him to win, or they are not building a new stadium....this has been going on since 92 i think.

but the magic still have his rights so they would match it.

but we should throw the max at him, and then offer guys like brand/JO/KG a reasonable amount maybe around 3-5mill a year, than force TD to play for the vet or other guys also.

mountainballer
02-28-2007, 09:58 AM

it's often a problem to get accurate reports about players, who are so young (like Batum at 18), because some are still growing and some just start to gain weight, so the numbers might change significantly within a year.
in case of Batum: he is currently listed at 6-8 and 209 lbs by Draftexpress. they are usually better informed about Euro players than most other sites. IMO this are very promising numbers for a 18 years old player. it shouldn't be a problem for him to get up to 225-230, that would be perfect for a 6-8 SF.

Mr. Body
02-28-2007, 10:27 AM
but we should throw the max at him, and then offer guys like brand/JO/KG a reasonable amount maybe around 3-5mill a year, than force TD to play for the vet or other guys also.

Your numbers are a bit ridiculous, but the idea is there. You'd probably have to kidnap half of Orlando to let them unhand Dwight Howard. Garnett and Brand are worth way more than 3-5 million a year, but the Spurs might be able to free up near max for them. Garnett possibly could come for $10 million/year.

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Your numbers are a bit ridiculous, but the idea is there. You'd probably have to kidnap half of Orlando to let them unhand Dwight Howard. Garnett and Brand are worth way more than 3-5 million a year, but the Spurs might be able to free up near max for them. Garnett possibly could come for $10 million/year.

Sort of the David Robinson treatment right? Sign a short-term (2 or 3 year) $10M/yr contract. That would be sick...

JamStone
02-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Quick question ... where are the Spurs getting all this cap space to go after guys like KG, JO, Brand, or Dwight by 2008???

Seriously? You sound like Heat fans wanting to trade Posey and Walker straight up for KG.

Mr. Body
02-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Sort of the David Robinson treatment right? Sign a short-term (2 or 3 year) $10M/yr contract. That would be sick...

Sick... and possible. That's why the Spurs have been so jealously guarding their 2008 cap space.

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Quick question ... where are the Spurs getting all this cap space to go after guys like KG, JO, Brand, or Dwight by 2008???

Seriously? You sound like Heat fans wanting to trade Posey and Walker straight up for KG.

Everyone on the current roster except Tim, Tony, Manu, and Butler come off the books after next season. Not sure of the exact cap figure, but I'm guessing it's somewhere around $40-45M total with the current cap at about $55 and sure to rise in the next two years. That leaves about $10-15M of possible cap space for the Spurs to sign someone and still fill out the roster.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2007, 11:01 AM

Seriously? You sound like Heat fans wanting to trade Posey and Walker straight up for KG.By the end of the 2008 season, the only salaries the Spurs have on the books are Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Jackie Butler, and a qualifying offer to Beno. That's a total of $44.6 million, according to HoopsHype.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Course I see the Pistons will only have $39.8 million on the books then, too. I wonder how many other teams have 2008 Master Plans?

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Course I see the Pistons will only have $39.8 million on the books then, too. I wonder how many other teams have 2008 Master Plans?

That's if they don't re-sign Chauncey this off-season....

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 11:07 AM

The Spurs have the unique luxury of having their key players locked up and still having room to operate...

Mr. Body
02-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Duncan also has the opportunity to restructure his contract that summer. I kind of wonder if he expects to shave some millions off his salary in order to recharge the team. Would he reduce to $10 million/year? $12 million/year?

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 11:11 AM

Jeff Green has played some monster ball over the past month and is rising up the draft boards that I've seen. I thought at one point this season he would drop to the early 20s and the Spurs would have a trade-up shot at him....now I'm not so sure.

Mr. Body
02-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Jeff Green has played some monster ball over the past month and is rising up the draft boards that I've seen. I thought at one point this season he would drop to the early 20s and the Spurs would have a trade-up shot at him....now I'm not so sure.

I doubt it. Georgetown will do great in the tournament, too. But a guy can dream this is the year the Spurs manage to trade up to get him using Scola and heavenly prayers. Green would be perfect for small ball sets.

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I doubt it. Georgetown will do great in the tournament, too. But a guy can dream this is the year the Spurs manage to trade up to get him using Scola and heavenly prayers. Green would be perfect for small ball sets.

Perfect as small ball 4 (since that's mostly what he plays in college), and perfect as a long athletic 3 with the ability to score, but the unselfish mindset to create opportunities for others.

Julian Wright is another guy that fits that description...too bad he's even more unattainable than Green...

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Duncan also has the opportunity to restructure his contract that summer. I kind of wonder if he expects to shave some millions off his salary in order to recharge the team. Would he reduce to $10 million/year? $12 million/year?

Restructuring has prescedence in the NFL, but I can't recall a case where it was done in the NBA. As much as I would like to believe that Duncan would forfeit millions for the benefit of the team, I don't think he'd do it. His motivation to pass on millions is much lower than a guy like Garnett, who has never been on a championship-winning team and whose team barely made it to "contender" status for a couple years.

But it could happen....(saying a prayer to God)

101A
02-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Restructuring has prescedence in the NFL, but I can't recall a case where it was done in the NBA. As much as I would like to believe that Duncan would forfeit millions for the benefit of the team, I don't think he'd do it. His motivation to pass on millions is much lower than a guy like Garnett, who has never been on a championship-winning team and whose team barely made it to "contender" status for a couple years.

But it could happen....(saying a prayer to God)

It has precedence on the Spurs. David Robinson did it.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Also Bruce Bowen.

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Batum, previously mentioned, is another guy. But most sites have him staying at least another year overseas, which is what he should do if he's smart....

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 11:28 AM
It has precedence on the Spurs. David Robinson did it.

When he took the two-year $20M dollar deal at the end of his career?

If so, I guess I'm wrong....and happily so :spin

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Danilo Gallinari is another international kid with point-forward skills.

VaSpursFan
02-28-2007, 12:39 PM

Let's GO HOYAS!!!!

Supergirl
02-28-2007, 01:19 PM
I want Nocioni.

polandprzem
02-28-2007, 02:19 PM
I want Nocioni.
Call him, e-mail him, whatever - tell him you love him ...

mathbzh
02-28-2007, 03:58 PM
About Batum,
He seems to improve lately.
He had two very good games in the last few weeks (12 pts/5rbd/4ast/4st in 22 min and 18 pts/6 rbds/1st/1blk in 24 min) but also some poor games.
I heard his coach saying that when Nicolas is aggressive, he his very good.
He said that the 18pts performance is great because Nicolas showed great basketball skills (not only athletism). Finally , he said Nicolas need to become more consistant otherwise his great games are useless for the team.
About his size, he steel looks a bit skinny but he should be fine in two or three year.

I hope he swill stay in France two more years. Then he should come in the NBA ready to contribute. We will see.

AFBlue
02-28-2007, 04:21 PM
About Batum,
He had two very good games in the last few weeks (12 pts/5rbd/4ast/4st in 22 min and 18 pts/6 rbds/1st/1blk in 24 min) but also some poor games.
He said that the 18pts performance is great because Nicolas showed great basketball skills (not only athletism). Finally , he said Nicolas need to become more consistant otherwise his great games are useless for the team.
About his size, he steel looks a bit skinny but he should be fine in two or three year.

I hope he swill stay in France two more years. Then he should come in the NBA ready to contribute. We will see.

As I said before, it would be the smart thing for him to stay in Europe at least one more year. Similar advice should be given to Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, who is another candidate for long athletic SF.

But if all of them decide to come out, chances are that at least one of them will fall near the Spurs right? A man can only hope...

kskonn
02-28-2007, 04:43 PM

Bruce Bowen also restructured his contract, I think elliot might have done the same but I can't remember.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2007, 04:46 PM
None of that was true restructuring. Contracts were ended and new ones made up in most cases. Elliot simply deferred some payments for a period of time; that didn't change his total contract at all nor did it change the Spurs' cap figure. It was strictly a cash flow issue at the time.

101A
02-28-2007, 04:50 PM

No, in '95, I believe, he allowed a provision in his contract requiring him to be one of the top 3 highest paid players to be removed - giving the Spurs flexibility in building a contending team.

ggoose25
02-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Alexis used to play for Central Catholic last year, or maybe two years ago. My brother said he was huge, but not a dominant player by any means. I think grooming him as a long small 3 might be the only way he can make it in the NBA. Overall, I hope he's done a lot of work since last year because he was extremely raw.

JamStone
02-28-2007, 05:02 PM
By the end of the 2008 season, the only salaries the Spurs have on the books are Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Jackie Butler, and a qualifying offer to Beno. That's a total of $44.6 million, according to HoopsHype.

That's great if the Spurs only plan on having five people on the roster for the entire season. But realistically speaking, there will be a few other smaller contracts on there before the Spurs will be able to go after a big name player. And, even if the salary cap is closer to about $60 million by then, the Spurs "might" be able to offer a contract with the starting salary somewhere in the neighborhood of about $8-10 million, if they are really cheap about the secondary players they pick up. Will that be enough to lure some of the bigger name players, even if they are at the end of their careers? Maybe.

That's also thinking VERY, VERY optomistically about not having any other considerable contracts next year, including not re-upping guys like Udrih, Elson, Oberto, James White, and then not going after a guy like James Posey or Andres Nocioni THIS summer.

phxspurfan
02-28-2007, 05:06 PM
That's if they don't re-sign Chauncey this off-season....

chauncey billups to the spurs! eh? eh? anybody see it?

Kori Ellis
02-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Alexis used to play for Central Catholic last year, or maybe two years ago. My brother said he was huge, but not a dominant player by any means. I think grooming him as a long small 3 might be the only way he can make it in the NBA. Overall, I hope he's done a lot of work since last year because he was extremely raw.

Umm.. Your brother must be blind. :)

Alexis averaged 22.7 points, 11.6 rebounds and over 6.5 blocks in his Junior year (last season) at Central Catholic.

JPB
02-28-2007, 06:32 PM
About Batum,

Batum will stay in france at least one more year, probably two, no doubt about it. As far inconsistency, it's quite normal considering his age.

another young phenom who really impress me and all the analysts is Marc-Antoine PELLIN. I can't remember a 19 year old PG with such speed and maturity since....TP. No doubt either, that he catched all the scouts eyes that were there for "la semaine des as" .

Really, the kid is leading a team of vets US or much older guys with so much poise. Problem, he's quite small, but really, he takes advantage of it more than the opposite. I see him in the NBA, sooner than later.

mathbzh
03-01-2007, 01:22 PM
I agree apout Pellin (at 19 he is leading the french league in ast/min).
But he is really small.
What do you think about Vaty?
He doesn"t play much with Pau but he also had a bunch of effective games.
His body is amazing.

Extra Stout
03-01-2007, 01:28 PM
but we should throw the max at him, and then offer
guys like brand/JO/KG a reasonable amount maybe around 3-5mill a year, than force TD to play for the vet or other guys also.
You are utterly delusional.

Extra Stout
03-01-2007, 01:29 PM
:flypig

I wish there were a smilie for smoking crack here.

Extra Stout
03-01-2007, 01:30 PM
One last time, people:

NBA superstars are not going to sign with the Spurs in 2008, much less for a steep discount.

Agloco
03-01-2007, 04:28 PM
What about Rashard Lewis in Seattle? I heard he's thinking of walking away....

I think he plays the three up there no? Scorer and athletic. I'm not too sure about his defense though....

If its a stupid suggestion, forgive me but I'm not up on this salary cap stuff.

Kori Ellis
03-01-2007, 04:30 PM
What about Rashard Lewis in Seattle? I heard he's thinking of walking away....

I think he plays the three up there no? Scorer and athletic. I'm not too sure about his defense though....

If its a stupid suggestion, forgive me but I'm not up on this salary cap stuff.

He's looking for $10M/year+. I'm not sure that he'll get it. But yes, he plays the 3 and he's very tall. He's a scorer and doesn't play D.

Agloco
03-01-2007, 05:07 PM
He's looking for $10M/year+. I'm not sure that he'll get it. But yes, he plays the 3 and he's very tall. He's a scorer and doesn't play D.

Sad part is that he will probably get it somewhere. Any thoughts on whether or not he could be groomed to play some D?

If so, he probably could fill Bruces spot and provide another creative option on the offensive end. Mind you, I'm not saying he could ever be as good as bruce, he just has to be solid.......

Of course, we can't pay him, so never mind..........

timvp
03-01-2007, 05:09 PM
So are Elton Brand and Jermaine O'Neal available, too. My thought is Plan 2008 is clearing enough room to go after Garnett, Brand, then, failling that, JON. But I think Garnett will be hard pressed to say No.Hopefully this is a joke that went over my head.

Mr. Body
03-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Must have.

Bruno
03-07-2007, 05:16 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/blogs.php?blogid=3&a=1902&mod=comment

Wangmene will play at The Nike Hoop Summit on april 7.