PDA

View Full Version : Crawford ready for Spurs

Kori Ellis
11-16-2004, 03:20 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/199820_nban16.html

CRAWFORD READY TO PLAY: New York Knicks guard Jamal Crawford wobbled and spun like a punch-drunk boxer before crumpling to the court Saturday night, injuring his neck. The sequence looked scarier to bystanders than it seemed to Crawford.

He has been through worse moments. The last time the Rainier Beach High School graduate had a neck injury, he left the court gazing at the ceiling, strapped to a stretcher.

That was a year ago, when Crawford, then with the Chicago Bulls, flipped over and landed on his neck while guarding Fred Hoiberg of the Minnesota Timberwolves. He had some temporary numbness and fleeting thoughts of being paralyzed.

"The way I felt last year was really scary," Crawford told the New York Daily News. "This one, it didn't scare me as much."

Crawford's instincts were right. Although it forced him to sit out the final 30 minutes of the Knicks' 103-97 loss to Indiana on Saturday, Crawford's injury was relatively mild. He was back on the practice court yesterday.

Despite some lingering soreness below his neck, Crawford predicted that he would play tonight against the San Antonio Spurs.

"It feels a lot better today," he said. "I still feel it a little bit, but I don't think that'll stop me from playing."

Coach Lenny Wilkens said he would not hesitate to play him as the starting shooting guard.

He'll defend Spurs guard Manu Ginobili, who is showing no signs of Olympic fatigue. Three months after leading Argentina to the gold medal, he is averaging 20.5 points, six rebounds and five assists.

It will be Crawford's job to contend with Ginobili, and he welcomes the challenge.

"I like my chances going against anybody," he said.

timvp
11-16-2004, 02:01 PM
WWGWRF.

(who will ghost writer root for)

T Park
11-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Stephen Jackson tried to help his old team out the other night by knocking this kid on his ass and knocking him out.

He was questionable sunday, but I guess now hes ready to go.

Hell be tough, Ginobili needs to stick on his ass like glue.

Ghost Writer
11-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Crawford is a very talented player that I wish the Spurs traded for.

He is a balla, so we know how that story goes.

Crawford is a fast, wiry shooting guard with adept ballhandling skills.

He's hit for 50 points in a game at least once.

And he can hits 3s and get steals.

He's been tagged with having a me-first mentality, but I think he'll do okay for the Knicks.

I question pairing him with a shoot-first PG like Marbury, though.

And of all the Knicks games I've seen this year, that team is playing listless, lifeless basketball.

I think it's a matter of time before Lenny Wilkens is replaced.

The Knicks should've brought in Doc Rivers.

They need a younger, aggressive, passionate coach.

Avery Johnson's name comes to mind.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 09:42 AM
If my memory serves me correctly, you wanted to trade Ginobili for Crawford.

Which is part of the reason why I now have you on my ignore list. I only managed to read your gem because I wasn't logged in.

Ghost Writer
11-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Your memory, like your overall "game", is shot.

I referenced Manu, because he was a free agent at the time and Crawford would've been a more economical choice than Manu.

Do you recognize that Crawford is an All-Star caliber player yet?

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 09:50 AM
Ok, I see you have posted, but cannot read what you had to write.

I like things this way.

Ghost Writer
11-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Good.

I can post and not deal with your obnoxious, homer-infused clutter.

Jamal Crawford is good, Marcus.

I know he's young and black and likes rap music, but he's good.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Don't be mad. If only ezboard had this feature back in the day. No longer do I have to muse to myself "Gee, this forum would be much better without Nbadan, ChumpDumper, or Ghost Writer." All I have to do is add them to my list and voila, Spurs Forum Nirvana.

Ghost Writer
11-17-2004, 10:37 AM
What an @ssh0le.

Marcus has me on an automated ignore list, yet is still on my dillsnick.

:lol

Rummpd
11-17-2004, 10:37 AM
Crawford is extremely good on one side of the ball (some of the time) - stinks on D. Chicago kept the right player at PG over there period.

MadDoc

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Wow, Ghost replies again and I don't have to read it. Thanks again to LJ and Kori for moving us to this forum.

Solid D
11-17-2004, 10:44 AM
:rollin @ MB and G-Dub

Marcus, I see you have resorted to the forum equivalent of Tim Duncan putting his hands over his ears and saying "La, la, la, I can't heeaaaarrrrr youuuu, la, la la"

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 10:55 AM
SD, the problem is that Ghost isn't the forum's Dr. J...

Ghost Writer
11-17-2004, 11:23 AM
The f@g is still responding to my posts even though he's blocked from seeing them.

I still got "it".

:lol

Ghost Writer
11-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Rummpd, Crawford can learn to play better defense.

He didn't look bad on D last night to me.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 11:28 AM
This is the shit. No longer will my screen be polluted with Casper's mind numbing ramblings about rising stars who were drafted instead of traded for not "counting", the lack of "ballas", the Spurs' defensive focus, Pop's flattop, and whatever else he gleaned from watching Knicks' broadcasts on the MSG Network.

MSG FREE BABY!

coachtf
11-17-2004, 11:51 AM
When Manu is given extensive minutes he produces in ways that Crawford never will. Crawford is a gifted scorer and has the ability to explode but his instincts are not even in Manu's league. I think Jamal has improved in New York because he gives better effort but he still has a long road ahead in terms of his defensive awareness and willingness to take punishment like Manu. Manu is a leader and competes at a level that very few even attempt night in and night out. Manu is quickly becoming more than just a second option he is also becoming the emotional leader on the floor. Crawford is a solid young talent but the Spurs made the right choice in giving Manu the money.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Ghost is right that he's talented and he's right that he has precisely the wrong coach. The Knicks could've competed much better with more discipline on both sides of the court.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Don't be mad ChumpHumper. You should stay over at that other forum. It's much more your speed. If I read that forum I'd pretty much have to put everyone on the ignore list.

coachtf
11-17-2004, 11:59 AM
I wonder if Laimbeer is going to get the call to the NBA? I don't know if Phil Jackson and Thomas could get along but Bill is doing a nice job in the WNBA.

Ghost Writer
11-17-2004, 12:04 PM
coach, points taken, but how old is Manu compared to Crawford? And how much is Manu making compared to Jamal.

And Chump, I don't know how you got on Marcus's "I can't beat 'em, so I might as well block 'em" list, but welcome to the club.

Crawford is an unrefined talent and Lenny Wilkens is too passive and outdated for the running style Zeke wants in NY.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2004, 12:08 PM
And Chump, I don't know how you got on Marcus's "I can't beat 'em, so I might as well block 'em" list, but welcome to the club.Tired of wiping his chin, as you well know.

He broke Manu's ankles badly last night. We are fortunate that Bowen could play fireman on whoever was threatening to get hot.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Damn this is fun. Sorry Casper and Chumper, your nonsense is off my screen.

coachtf
11-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Ghost points taken as well.

I guess when I look at what Manu does from a coaches point of view it's just too good to pass up. Manu competes at a level that is hard for most to understand. He combines that with the talent and will to get better in every phase of his game. Their is no doubt that if you put Jamal in the silver and black it would make HIM a better player. But would it make the Spurs a better TEAM? You put Manu on the Knicks and he still has the ability and leadership to make the players around him better. Just my opinion but I take the guy who makes those around him better and I just think Manu is at a different level. I do agree with you that Crawford has talent but nobody should blame Lenny Wilkens for holding him back. Wilkens is a legend who may be passed his time but he is still one of the greatest teachers the game has ever seen.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 12:21 PM
If Crawford was on the Spurs he would be just another Derek Anderson. A guy capable of scoring a bunch of points and requiring a bunch of touches to be effective. No way does he bring the complete game that Ginobili does. No way has he ever performed under pressure like Manu. No way does he have Manu's instincts and court awareness.

Ghost Writer
11-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Good stuff, coach.

Manu is obvioulsy the better pro at this point, but I believe Crawford is the better talent.

P.S.

Is Marcus still posting to himself? What a dope.

Nikos
11-17-2004, 01:18 PM
I don't mean to try to demean your opinions Ghost, but aren't there a lot of talented guys in the league? Sure Crawford maybe UP there and might have more raw athletic gifts, but it's not like there aren't several other players with similiar athletic attributes.

Didn't you also state you would rather have proven performers around Duncan as opposed to unrealized talent? I know you just wanted one 'talented' star calibur player to surround Duncan, but if Crawford still needs some growing to do, then why obsess over him? He is on the Knicks after all, your favorite team. It is not like Crawford is the type who just stands outside waiting for the kickout pass, he is more of a difficult shot maker who can get real hot. But he can also have nights where he scores 25pts on 27 shots and at first glance of the box score it might seem like a good game, but he might have shot 10-27 to get it.

samikeyp
11-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Crawford would have been nice, especially moneywise. He is a hell of a player but I still think they made the right choice w/Ginobili.

Solid D
11-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Is Marcus still posting to himself? What a dope.

What Marcus actually sees with his new Ghost Phaser set to "ON":

xx Marcus xxxxx xxxxxxx xx xxxxxxx? xxxx x xxxx.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 01:31 PM
The Spurs had Jamal Crawford once, back when he went by the non-balla moniker of "Derek Anderson."

This is the problem with Ghost, he doesn't understand the game nor is able to appreciate anything beyond the boxscore. Hence my delight in using the ignore list feature in this forum to block out his mindnumbing ignorance.

Nikos
11-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Derek Anderson was very solid for the team that season, until the playoffs when.............he got injured? Didn't play well? Got selfish and left?

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Nikos, I didn't say DA was a bad player, but think about his game. He needed a lot of touches to be productive. He had good scoring instincts but he certainly did not possess the type of total game that Ginobili possesses. Crawford is a DA clone.

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2004, 01:36 PM
What Marcus actually sees with his new Ghost Phaser set to "ON":

xx Marcus xxxxx xxxxxxx xx xxxxxxx? xxxx x xxxx.

If only.

Here is what I see:

Ghost Writer
This message is hidden because Ghost Writer is on your ignore list.

:smokin

FromWayDowntown
11-17-2004, 01:49 PM
I can see the argument for Crawford's talent, but I don't think Crawford will ever have the kind of floor game that Ginobili has, and I don't think he'll ever be as multi-dimensional as Ginobili is. Manu is that rare breed that can have a significant impact on a game without taking bucketloads of shots. He can distribute the ball, play great man defense, play great help defense, fill the lane, lead the break, and break down a defender to get better shots for himself or his teammates. Crawford can certainly do some of those things, and his cross-over on Manu last night was certainly evidence of that.

But I seriously wonder, if you asked NBA GM's this question, how many would have taken Crawford at a bargain price rather than paying Ginobili at market value. I suspect the vote would unanimously take Manu.

timvp
11-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Crawford is a sub-40% shooter for his career. To put him in the same class as Ginobili is laughable.

exstatic
11-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Get it right. It's Crawfor_. He only plays one side of the game.

Ghost Writer
11-23-2004, 01:36 PM
timvp, the only joke here is you.

You've gone from being smart and critical to lame and biased.

Jamal Crawford is not Derek Anderson.

Crawford does not have the all-around game of Manu, but he can score better than any current Spurs.

He's younger and cheaper than Manu.

And he'd hit the 3 that Duncan was forced to take last night.

Food for thought.

P.S.

Crawford is street, so nevermind. Bring in an Uncle Tom or a dude from Croatia.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Crawford is street, so nevermind. Bring in an Uncle Tom or a dude from Croatia.

Make sure you tell them that the next time you're in the nosebleeds watching them play, okay.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Make sure you tell them that the next time you're in the nosebleeds watching them play, okay.

[Ghost Writer]

I've shat more relevant people that you, Blaze. Nice chat.

[/Ghost Writer]

Same story, different day.

johnny00
11-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Crawford is street, so nevermind. Bring in an Uncle Tom or a dude from Croatia.??????????? Where did that come from?

Marcus Bryant
11-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey, Ghost can't help it when he imagines he was born poor and black.

Solid D
11-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Does he also have a "special purpose"? :hat

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0783226799.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Duff McCartney
11-23-2004, 03:42 PM
I've never seen a white guy have a bigger hard on for a black man as Ghost does.

timvp
11-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Come on, Ghost. Bring your game better than that. That was just weak.

P.S.

Nice to see that you just come out after losses.

Marcus Bryant
11-23-2004, 04:03 PM
But, um, that is his "game."

RobinsontoDuncan
11-23-2004, 07:02 PM
And he can hits 3s and get steals.

Ummmm... Steals maybe but this kid cant shoot worth a damn.

They need a younger, aggressive, passionate coach

Avery Johnson's name comes to mind.

That would make sense, i would like to see aj take full controll of a team one day.

IcemanCometh
11-23-2004, 09:42 PM
You know potential is nice and all, but this is Crawfords 5th year in the league now. Potential only gets you so fucking far. 17 pts on 42% shooting, color me unim-fucking-pressed.

btw Manu is 27 not Methuselah, Crawford is a strapping young buck at 24.