PDA

View Full Version : Testing SPAM, turning the corner?

boutons_
02-28-2007, 12:30 PM
March is here. 7 weeks to playoffs

After 3 days rest, the Spurs start March with 4 games in 5 days. Adding the last game of a 4-game road trip out west, end-to-end, that will be 5 games in 7 days.

Sweeping those 5 games would make 11 straight and would be a signal that the Spurs have decided to focus, to salvage a mediocre Spurs season, finally to rediscover how to play Spurs basketball.

But those 5 wins would push the Spurs to 44 - 18,
still only a mediocre 56 - 26 season.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2007, 12:32 PM

If they were 44-18, they'd be on pace to 58 wins. (I'm not sure where you came up with 56 or that was just a guess).

boutons_
02-28-2007, 12:33 PM
I was using Windows calculator, must be a bug.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2007, 12:34 PM

Would you consider 58 mediocre?

BeerIsGood!
02-28-2007, 12:35 PM

After 3 days rest, the Spurs start March with 4 games in 5 days. Adding the last game of a 4-game road trip out west, end-to-end, that will be 5 games in 7 days.

Sweeping those 5 games would make 11 straight and would be a signal that the Spurs have decided to focus, to salvage a mediocre Spurs season, finally to rediscover how to play Spurs basketball.

I don't think I'd consider a 56 or 58 win season mediocre. A 41 win season is mediocre.

boutons_
02-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah, Spurs are a 60-W team. Especially this year where 2 other WC teams will be 60-W teams, with one now flirting with a historic 70 W season.

It's mostly the Spurs' fault I'm spoiled :)

Part of the blame is mine, since I've only been able to follow them closely since the 01/02 season.

miss paxton
02-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Would you consider 58 mediocre?

I don't consider 58 mediocre. It only seems mediocre in comparison to the historic streaks ripped off by Phoenix and Dallas. If the Mavs had, say, 13 losses instead of 9, they would still seem damn good but they wouldn't seem uncatchable. I'm just not going to worry about it. Either the Mavs are unstoppable or they're not, and I'll know for sure in a few months.

bdictjames
02-28-2007, 02:13 PM
For a team with high expectations such as the Spurs, anything less than 55 wins is mediocre.

jeffdrums22
02-28-2007, 02:24 PM

Spurs have a really easy schedule with their next real challenge being Utah Jazz at the end of the month. Compared to the history of their winning percentages, they are not bad off right now at 39-18 (68%) (Yeah this is a lot of numbers), considering their careless narrow losses this year, seven out of their 10 losses since January 1 have been by 5 points or less.

1997-1998 - 56-26 record - 68%
1998-1999 - 37-13 record - 74% *CHAMPIONSHIP*
1999-2000 - 53-29 record - 64% (Duncan injured part of the season)
2000-2001 - 58-24 record - 70%
2001-2002 - 58-24 record - 70%
2002-2003 - 60-22 record - 73% *CHAMPIONSHIP*
2003-2004 - 57-25 record - 69%
2004-2005 - 59-23 record - 72% *CHAMPIONSHIP*
2005-2006 - 63-19 record - 76%

Anything below 56-26 would be mediocre in my opinion. So that's 17-8 the rest of the way, very doable with the schedule they have left. Only Utah and Dallas would present any real challenges.

cheguevara
02-28-2007, 02:31 PM
damn, Spurs have been killing last 10 years

54 wins or above and I'm very happy. Especially if all big 3 are healthy going into playoffs.

miss paxton
02-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Spurs have a really easy schedule with their next real challenge being Utah Jazz at the end of the month. . . . Only Utah and Dallas would present any real challenges.

I wouldn't say they have a really easy schedule. They play Orlando on Friday and then Houston on the road on Saturday. Since Houston's already beaten them twice pretty convincingly, why are you taking the Rockets lightly? Especially on the second night of a back to back, after playing a young athletic team who recently proved an 18 point lead against them wasn't safe. Also, I assume McGrady's back (I know he sat out recently with the flu or something).

I believe they also have a four-games-in-five nights stretch coming up, which isn't easy no matter who they play.

jeffdrums22
02-28-2007, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't say they have a really easy schedule. They play Orlando on Friday and then Houston on the road on Saturday. Since Houston's already beaten them twice pretty convincingly, why are you taking the Rockets lightly? Especially on the second night of a back to back, after playing a young athletic team who recently proved an 18 point lead against them wasn't safe. Also, I assume McGrady's back (I know he sat out recently with the flu or something).

I believe they also have a four-games-in-five nights stretch coming up, which isn't easy no matter who they play.

If Dwight Howard will make another winning dunk with under a second left against the Spurs, then they are a challenge, but I don't see that happening again. Orlando isn't even a .500 team at 28-30. Dwight Howard's dunk was the highlight of their season. Overhyped highlight reel play there, not happening again. Orlando will get beaten by at least 15 by SA.

The Rockets, nope. Enough said on that. I don't know why people are talking about them as making any noise this season. They have played well against the Spurs, but who else? They are 1-3 vs Dallas.

LEONARD
02-28-2007, 02:45 PM
If Dwight Howard will make another winning dunk with under a second left against the Spurs, then they are a challenge, but I don't see that happening again. Orlando isn't even a .500 team at 28-30. Dwight Howard's dunk was the highlight of their season. Overhyped highlight reel play there, not happening again. Orlando will get beaten by at least 15 by SA.

The Rockets, nope. Enough said on that. I don't know why people are talking about them as making any noise this season. They have played well against the Spurs, but who else? They are 1-3 vs Dallas.

LOL...jeffdrums22 is my fav ST poster...

The Orlando loss was a fluke loss on a fluke dunk by a fluke player.

what a classic... :lol

FromWayDowntown
02-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah, Spurs are a 60-W team. Especially this year where 2 other WC teams will be 60-W teams, with one now flirting with a historic 70 W season.

In their 30 year history, the Spurs only have three seasons with 60 wins (94-95, 02-03, 05-06). Given that historical arc, and given how well the other powers in their own conference are playing, I'd think that a 56-58 win season would be anything but mediocre.

I understand the historical context is frequently lost in the years of recent success, but it's beyond odd to me that Spurs fans once got giddy -- in 1994-95 -- when the Spurs had a chance to win 60 games. The 2000-01 team was hailed as one of the dominant Spurs teams ever (during that regular season) and it won 58 games.

This Spurs team still might win 60 (though it seems unlikely), but should finish in the 56-60 range, and that season is seen as a near-failure.

phyzik
02-28-2007, 03:10 PM
In their 30 year history, the Spurs only have three seasons with 60 wins (94-95, 02-03, 05-06). Given that historical arc, and given how well the other powers in their own conference are playing, I'd think that a 56-58 win season would be anything but mediocre.

I understand the historical context is frequently lost in the years of recent success, but it's beyond odd to me that Spurs fans once got giddy -- in 1994-95 -- when the Spurs had a chance to win 60 games. The 2000-01 team was hailed as one of the dominant Spurs teams ever (during that regular season) and it won 58 games.

This Spurs team still might win 60 (though it seems unlikely), but should finish in the 56-60 range, and that season is seen as a near-failure.

I agree with this, I think people are looking more at how we won/lost the games this season though rather than the actual numbers.... Either way I'll be more than satisfied with 56 wins this season.

boutons_
02-28-2007, 03:18 PM
"In their 30 year history"

damn, all y'all never learn. Comparing the Pop/Tim Spurs to the 22 years w/o Pop/Tim is exactly the same cheap silliness as comparing the Spurs to the 25 bottoms NBA teams that don't have a prayer in the playoffs

ducks
02-28-2007, 03:26 PM
bill gates tried to copy the one that mac uses but he can not copy that right
he copied tiger (vista is alot like tiger) and he copied ipod his is called zune and sucks

FromWayDowntown
02-28-2007, 03:30 PM
"In their 30 year history"

damn, all y'all never learn. Comparing the Pop/Tim Spurs to the 22 years w/o Pop/Tim is exactly the same cheap silliness as comparing the Spurs to the 25 bottoms NBA teams that don't have a prayer in the playoffs

Well, some of us have been watching closely since long before Tim and Pop and have a broader frame of reference when it comes to assessing medocrity, I guess.

I'm not saying that this season, to this point, hasn't been somewhat disappointing. I am saying that historically, there's nothing about a 56-58 win season that is mediocre. There's a stark difference in the meaning of those words, I think.

Bruno
02-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Can we get a room for LEONARD and jeffdrums22 : they turn every topic into troll board material.

Kori Ellis
02-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Can we get a room for LEONARD and jeffdrums22 : they turn every topic into troll board material.

No, but they can both be banned if they don't shut the hell up because I'm frickin' sick of their trash.

LEONARD
02-28-2007, 05:39 PM

Any thread he posts in gets that way...usually because Spurs fans are telling him what a jackass he is...

anybody that says Dwight Howard is a "fluke player" is b-ball idiot...

Kori Ellis
02-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Any thread he posts in gets that way...usually because Spurs fans are telling him what a jackass he is...

anybody that says Dwight Howard is a "fluke player" is b-ball idiot...

True. So use your frickin ignore list and stop perpetuating crap.

jeffdrums22
No, but they can both be banned if they don't shut the hell up because I'm frickin' sick of their trash.

I love Dallas!

That should keep me not banned.

LEONARD
True. So use your frickin ignore list and stop perpetuating crap.

My ignore list is getting full though ;)

ok ok...

phxspurfan
02-28-2007, 05:44 PM

With T-Mac injured, the Rockets are going nowhere. That team is like Eeyore. So sad.

Bruno
02-28-2007, 05:45 PM
With T-Mac injured, the Rockets are going nowhere. That team is like Eeyore. So sad.

T-Mac isn't injured.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2007, 05:51 PM
The Spurs offset the terrible patch in the middle of the season by an above-average start. Record-wise, their tear is right on schedule. I think they were about this same record in 2003 when they went on a tear and caught Dallas. Not catching Dallas would probably be the best thing that could happen, since the Mavs will be feeling a shitload of playoff pressure from their fans with a ~65 win regular season.

miss paxton
02-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Not catching Dallas would probably be the best thing that could happen, since the Mavs will be feeling a shitload of playoff pressure from their fans with a ~65 win regular season.

I've wondered if that's not in part why the Spurs are playing better lately, actually--knowing that they're not likely to catch Dallas and thus that pressure is off. Of course there are other reasons--some good days off plus a favorable schedule, but they do look better.

td4mvp21
02-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I'd rather win 58 playing really good basketball than win 63 and play ok basketball. Last year we never really gelled. This year there is still a possibility (I think we are starting to).

Obstructed_View
02-28-2007, 09:33 PM
I'd rather win 58 playing really good basketball than win 63 and play ok basketball. Last year we never really gelled. This year there is still a possibility (I think we are starting to).
Good point. I'd submit that this crew is playing as well in the last six games as they did at their best last year. Since Nazr isn't here to make a three and fuck it all up, the Spurs have a good chance.

BTW, only 4 and a half games behind Phoenix. You think they don't hear footsteps?

boutons_
02-28-2007, 09:40 PM
"I'd rather win 58 playing really good basketball than win 63 and play ok basketball. "

WTF? If the Spurs had played "really good basketball" Dec-Feb, they WOULD win 63.

td4mvp21
02-28-2007, 09:42 PM
"I'd rather win 58 playing really good basketball than win 63 and play ok basketball. "

WTF? If the Spurs had played "really good basketball" Dec-Feb, they WOULD win 63.

Uh, last year we did not ever gel as a team. You can play damn good basketball and still only win 58, especially considering the Spurs are a playoff team. So fuck that argument. Next pessimistic piece of shit argument?

boutons_
02-28-2007, 10:59 PM
"last year we did not ever gel as a team"

Last year, Tim (especially!!), Manu, and Tony were almost never healthy at the same time, Spurs won 63.

Lucky on health so far this year, but with their heads up their asses, they will be lucky to get 58.

Obstructed_View
03-02-2007, 08:13 PM
"last year we did not ever gel as a team"

Last year, Tim (especially!!), Manu, and Tony were almost never healthy at the same time, Spurs won 63.

Lucky on health so far this year, but with their heads up their asses, they will be lucky to get 58.
The pont is, if they are playing well, who the fuck cares what their record is? Regardless of the reason, the Spurs played really well in game one against Sacramento last year and just struggled to remain vertical the rest of the way.