PDA

View Full Version : Lebron James > Kobe Bryant

adidas11
11-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Discuss.

tlongII
11-16-2004, 09:37 AM
You have a gift for stating the obvious.

Medvedenko
11-16-2004, 09:40 AM
You guys are both tools....discuss

boutons
11-16-2004, 09:56 AM
not yet, but LeBron is starting extremely strongly this season, and is not very far behind Kobe. His stats are about 29-9-6, All-Star, even MVP level. He's so strong that he can shoot his fade-away with tons of fade, unstoppable.

LeBron is getting enormous help from Z and, surprise, Gooden (who so far effectively fills the Boozer hole). Cavs are fun to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cavs finish 4th in the EC, behind DET, MIA, IND.

Very hard to compare such close and huge talents, but LeBron seems more level-headed (so far) than Kobe. 2" taller, and 20 pounds heavier (so far), LeBron is more explosive and faster than Kobe, who is smoother.

If LeBron keeps his cool and matures, doesn't go prima donna/me-first-always, then he will probably surpass Kobe's career.

Sportcamper
11-16-2004, 09:58 AM
tlong likes LeBron better....

polandprzem
11-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Well accually I wanted to talk about Lebron .
He is playing right now like an MVP. His stats are amazing. He is true leader and know what to do to get W. Unfortunatly he don't have that kind support like for example Kobe.
If James will continue his play, he could be close to MVP. Closer that Kobe through all his career.

I'm wondering were will the Cavs end up this season.

Medvedenko
11-16-2004, 10:18 AM
What a pointless discussion...yes LJames stats are comparable....give him a few seasons and we can start the discussion again. A players greatness is determined in the Playoffs, and we all know what Kobe has done in the playoffs.

polandprzem
11-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Put Shaq & Lebron in same team - then we could talk about James in plyoffs

Medvedenko
11-16-2004, 10:31 AM
So what's your point...It's like saying Lebron in better than Jordan if he was still playing....which I would agree...it doesn't prove anything. It's still very early in his career and he's putting up great numbers, and I think he's a phenominal talent. He's just not doing anything I have'nt seen yet.

polandprzem
11-16-2004, 10:34 AM
OK let's wait till the end of season.

(what is going on with Kobe foot?)

tlongII
11-16-2004, 10:38 AM
LeBron is better than Kobe right now! There is no question about it. He will show it in the playoffs as well as soon as he gets there.

jalbre6
11-16-2004, 10:40 AM
LeBron's playing a lot better at 19 than Kobe did, but they were in two entirely different situations. Kobe averaged about 15-3-2.5 a night in 97-98, and they got swept out of the playoffs by Utah. LeBron hasn't been there yet.

James was christened "the franchise" immediately. Everyone in the league wanted him, and he went #1 overall. Kobe was more of a project. I think the Hornets drafted him #10 or #11, and LA traded Vlade Divac to get him.

Medvedenko
11-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Kobe was a project...now he's all-world. I don't deny Lebron's talents...let's wait and see.

jalbre6
11-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Kobe couldn't have put the team on his back at 19. I still remember him tossing up airballs and Eddie Jones giving him that "what the hell are you doing, kid?" look. What LeBron is doing is remarkable, being the unquestioned heart and soul of his team when a lot of good players his age are just now finally getting out of an NCAA redshirt season.

samikeyp
11-16-2004, 10:55 AM
I dunno...no one "goes to the hole" like Kobe. :)

ducks
11-16-2004, 11:17 AM
james could not get cavs to playoffs last year with boozer

james is hot righ tnow but will he stay as hot

he was not earlier

kobe>>>>>>>james

SLOVENIAN 8
11-16-2004, 11:24 AM
For me Lebron is better than Kobe. I dont like Kobe, he is ........

Medvedenko
11-16-2004, 11:24 AM
If you were picking a team...who would you choose...Kobe or Lebron.
I would pick Kobe.

jalbre6
11-16-2004, 11:27 AM
If you were picking a team...who would you choose...Kobe or Lebron. I would pick Kobe.

That's a loaded statement. Is this a fantasy team, a franchise, or a pick-up game?

LeBron hasn't run any coaches or teammates off yet, for starters.

Medvedenko
11-16-2004, 11:35 AM
A franchise....
To say Kobe ran off teamates...yeah like Shaq asking for 35million a season had nothing to do with it....Phil wanted more money as well and he didn't want to coach Kobe. So J Buss made the decision, hinder the team financially for 2-4 years with Shaq, or rebuild with Kobe. He made the right decision.

Louae
11-16-2004, 11:51 AM
A franchise....
To say Kobe ran off teamates...yeah like Shaq asking for 35million a season had nothing to do with it....Phil wanted more money as well and he didn't want to coach Kobe. So J Buss made the decision, hinder the team financially for 2-4 years with Shaq, or rebuild with Kobe. He made the right decision.

Maybe getting paid 35 million/season (shaq) or 10 million/season (phil) was the only way it be worth to play or coach Kobe for another three seasons. Did you ever think about that? You have to admit, Kobe isn't the easiest person to play with.

Louae
11-16-2004, 11:54 AM
If you were picking a team...who would you choose...Kobe or Lebron.
I would pick Kobe.

Last year, I'd say Kobe. This year I can honestly say Lebron, hands down. Lebron is the real deal. His personality is also a huge key to picking him over Kobe b/c you don't lose anything in terms of physical talent. Kobe has the big shot in the clutch ability over Lebron at the moment, but that's something time and opportunity can cure.

ducks
11-16-2004, 11:59 AM
picking a player now
if you consider the age factor you migh t pick james

but he has PROVED NOTHING in post season and kobe has

jalbre6
11-16-2004, 12:05 PM
OK then, by the numbers:

Shaq is making $29,464,288 this season.

Brian Grant is making $13,346,250, Lamar Odom is making
$10,465,000, Vlade Divac earns
$4,900,000 and Chris Mihm $3,375,000. That equals around 32.1 million. (By the way, for the curious, somehow Chucky Atkins and Devean George are worth over $4 million a year each)

Paying Shaq wasn't the problem. Kobe wanting the team was. I still don't understand how two players making that much money can't play nice for seven months a year.

Useruser666
11-16-2004, 12:07 PM
I don't think you can compare post season performance between the two until James has a chance to get there. There are several players I rather have than Kobe right now. I even say that at the cost of winning.

exstatic
11-16-2004, 12:23 PM
and we all know what Kobe has done in the playoffs.
No, but we're going to find out now, aren't we? :lmao
If I were starting an NBA team, I'd pick LeBron. Shit, the kid is 19, and he's damn near better now.
If I were starting a kinky sex prison farm team, Kobe would have the edge.

ducks
11-16-2004, 12:26 PM
what if kobe and lebron were both 19 then who would you choice

duncan2k5
11-16-2004, 12:35 PM
If I were starting a kinky sex prison farm team, Kobe would have the edge.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :rollin

jalbre6
11-16-2004, 12:47 PM
what if kobe and lebron were both 19 then who would you choice

If we are talking about 2004 Kobe just being younger, I'd take him. James is good, but he's not the best at his position in the league. If we are talking about 19 year old Kobe in '96 versus 19 year old LeBron in '04, LeBron's the choice, a no-brainer.

Kona
11-16-2004, 01:02 PM
if i were building a team, i'd certainly start with lebron. he's going to make players around him better.

kobe just wanted stats. he's had his rings. he's going to pad his career stats for a few years and then start complaining about not having a team that can win championships.

kobe is a lot further a long in his game than lebron, but lebron isn't far behind considering his experience(what was kobe doing at 19?). the kid is one year removed from high school.

once again, while kobe will be looking to put up big nights in the scoring column. lebron will be making his team mates better. i'm taking lebron if i'm building a team of any kind. it's an easy choice.

Kona
11-16-2004, 01:06 PM
btw, as long as we are speculating. duncan/lebron would've been far more lethal than shaq/kobe.

Medvedenko
11-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks then it's settled.....
I guess I would take Zach Randolph over Tim Duncan because of comparable numbers and youth......
Whatever...

Medvedenko
11-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Oh, I'm looking for a all-world talent and baller not some guy who could babysit my kids. Where was Lebron in the Olympics...

duncan2k5
11-16-2004, 01:31 PM
where was kobe?

fonzy16
11-16-2004, 01:57 PM
where was kobe?
:lmao :lmao :lmao nice one duncan2k5

T Park
11-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Lebron has a better attitude, and plus, i dont think hes the type to rape women, then cop out and say "This is racially motivated"

Plus, I dont think Lbron would pull the "Either he goes, or I go" horseshit.

Medvedenko
11-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Nice won....freaks....
We all know what kept Kobe out...the problem is, when the team was selected Kobe was chosen way before Lebron was....

jalbre6
11-16-2004, 02:26 PM
The USOC isn't that stupid, Slava.

Of course they're going to select the all-NBA shooting guard with three rings at 25 before they pick the 18 year old rookie. There's no problem there. The USOC offered a spot to Kobe, and of course he was unable to attend the Queen Mary II cruise ship party. LeBron only played like 10 minutes a game in Athens.

All I'm saying is that LeBron is accomplishing more at 19 than Kobe did. And his upside is higher, I think. We won't know until a whole season is played.

Medvedenko
11-16-2004, 02:34 PM
I agree, Lebron is amazing right offensively....now if I were to pick a more complete player I would go for Kobe....I think we can all agree on that one. Now, with that being said..what Lebron is doing at his age is amazing, simply amazing. At 19, Kobe wasn't this polished...but neither was Jordan. So I guess we'll see what happens, history will speak for itself. I still hold firm in my arguement, but It's good for the NBA.

Kori Ellis
11-16-2004, 03:43 PM
I'd take LeBron.

Last year people knocked him that he didn't have a jump shot. I think he's quickly improving in that area. Last night something like 16 of his 21 first half points were on jumpers. He has still has a long way to go before peaking, but I think he'll be one of the best ever.

Useruser666
11-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Medvedenko has to ask himself, "Who's jock should I hang from? I know Kobe!" :spin

Sorry Med. I would choose Lebron over Kobe too. It's not too late to mold him into a great player on and off the court. I wonder what Lebron would say if he was asked if he'd like to play with Shaq?

Kona
11-16-2004, 04:37 PM
you can't admit that kobe messed your team up can you?

when duncan or lebron dismantle a high-caliber team, then come back and we'll discuss.

kobe can do no wrong in some people's minds. the lakers will regress quite a bit this year and it is all tied to kobe's ego. why doesn't he have any friends? his ego. he's just too damn narcissistic to do things for the team. he held all of you hostage and y'all gave in.

and that randolph analogy is asinine, i'm talking about experience in the league too, randolph is nowhere near the player TD was even back when he was in the league for a couple of years.

thank your boy kobe for all the hopes lost this year in LA. even if your team is lucky enough to make the playoffs, you know in your heart of hearts it will be an early exit.

thank no-means-nobe for that.

Medvedenko
11-16-2004, 05:46 PM
We can discuss semantics and hersay all day long...You guys have spoken, after 8 games Lebron is Better than Kobe. Man that was easy. Like I said in earlier posts, we can't win all the time, it's nice when other teams have success.

ducks
11-16-2004, 06:43 PM
you guys have no idea if james would not pull a stunt like kobe did

he took money from people highschool which he was not suppose to but the nba got him off

he had to get a hummber early and could not wait to get his first pay check and got the bank to loan his mommy the money

he already is a daddy

he has done questionable things in the past

jalbre6
11-16-2004, 07:03 PM
On the same point as ducks made,

Before the incident, noone had any idea that Kobe was the way he is. They saw him as a devoted husband and doting father. Supposedly mature well beyond his years. Look at all of his endorsements from before. A perfect role model, and megastar in the making.

Then Colorado happened. After that, bickering in the locker room, fighting with the coach, and other strange behavior ensued (not shooting vs the Kings, showing up right before tipoff, etc.)

Nobody's saying that LeBron is an angel. But Kobe has five years of fame and fortune on James, and he made some poor decisions. Again, only time will tell if Lebron will or won't do the same.

xcoriate
11-16-2004, 07:25 PM
well apprently le bron asked dirks shooting coach in germany to teach him how to shoot, but he got knocked back. Just goes to show he is attempting to improve the parts of his game that have been called out, similar to mj early in his career.

Duff McCartney
11-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks then it's settled.....
I guess I would take Zach Randolph over Tim Duncan because of comparable numbers and youth......
Whatever...

Zach Randolph and TD don't have comparable numbers. TD has two MVP titles...Kobe has none.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-16-2004, 07:52 PM
A lot of the pro-Kobe arguments seem to center around, "What has Lebron proven?" Well at 19 he's proven a lot more than Kobe had at that age. He's a better athlete and better teammate than Kobe was (and is now). What I think speaks volumes is the fact that James came into the league with the most hype of any player in NBA history and got dropped into a team that was legitimately one of the worst in the league. He responded to the pressure by busting his ass every night and nearly getting the Cavs into the playoffs.

Kobe at 19: bitched until he got traded away from the team he got drafted by and proceeded to look every bit of 19 in his rookie season on a team where he was surrounded by tons of talent.

On that alone I say wait until Lebron gets into the playoffs and shows what he can really do.

ducks
11-16-2004, 08:01 PM
east last year was very weak
kobe went against better talent most nights that young

Kaster
11-17-2004, 04:02 AM
I'd take LeBron. He's already better than Duncan, too.

tlongII
11-17-2004, 09:45 AM
The thing is...LeBron IS already better than Kobe. Forget about the championship rings and look solely at their games. LeBron is bigger and stronger, his shooting pctg is better, he has more assists, and he rebounds better. The only area in which Kobe is superior is defense. LeBron James is a better basketball player than Kobe Bryant RIGHT NOW!

Medvedenko
11-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Tlong....Like I said I like Lebron's game, but who's the most complete player. Hey offensively after the first 8 games Lebron is showing Kobe up, even though Kobe is hampered by injuries. Remember, who is First team all defence. Like you said, I guess defence doesn't matter as long as shooting percentage is key in your books. There's a reason you're a fan of Portland....

Sec24Row7
11-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Lebron is fun to watch.

Kobe is fun to watch.

Timmy is fun to watch.

Zach Randolph... not so much.

Who cares who is the "best" player?

Timmy is going to get the ring 3 more times before any of these guys do.

timvp
11-17-2004, 05:17 PM
I'd take LeBron over two Kobes.

Nikos
11-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Would you take Lebron over a KG and a Duncan combined?

timvp
11-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Of course not.

Useruser666
11-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Tlong....Like I said I like Lebron's game, but who's the most complete player. Hey offensively after the first 8 games Lebron is showing Kobe up, even though Kobe is hampered by injuries. Remember, who is First team all defence. Like you said, I guess defence doesn't matter as long as shooting percentage is key in your books. There's a reason you're a fan of Portland....

Kobe's defense is overrated. I think he' a better than average defender, but first team he should not be.

adidas11
11-17-2004, 07:01 PM
I knew this thread would get everyone all riled up. :)

ShoogarBear
11-17-2004, 10:40 PM
I knew this thread would get everyone all riled up. :)
http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/ALLPOLITICS/10/28/mission.accomplished/vstory.bush.banner.afp.jpg

But a nice question, too.

I too am swept up in LeBron crowd for now.

The nice thing is, by the end of this year, we may be able to have a reasonable comparison of who is better based on how far they can carry their teams.