PDA

View Full Version : Billy Gillispie to UK?

Sam
02-28-2007, 07:47 PM
On Catspause, they are saying that UK will come after him when they fire Tubby.

leemajors
02-28-2007, 07:49 PM
would be hard to say no to a storied program like that...

Cant_Be_Faded
02-28-2007, 08:17 PM
just what the fuck is gig 'em supposed to mean anyways

its blasphemy

samikeyp
02-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Im sure alot of programs will come after him...but he won't go anywhere.

j-6
02-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Tubby Smith at one time was the highest paid NCAA basketball coach in the country, pulling down $2.5M. If UK offers Billy $3M a year, will he be able to turn that down? I would think that the Ags could field a decent offer, but nothing like the NBA-class money Kentucky could bring to the table.

I saw that Rick Barnes makes $1.7M a year, so I'd assume that Gillispie makes like $1.3M or so - maybe less since this is only his second season in Aggieland. I will say this - if he leads the Ags to the Final Four he'll get more money than Fran - which is a base of $2M.

Thoughts?

K-State Spur
02-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Other than money, the advantage of coaching at a UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Duke, Kansas, etc is the aspect of college basketball that most coaches hate the most. You don't have to kiss the ass of every 18 year old kid with a jumpshot to recruit him. When you coach at one of those programs, you basically just go to the AAU tournaments and point your finger at the 3 kids you want and that's that.

50 cent
02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
BCG isn't going anywhere.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Let them chase him all they want. Like Billy wants to walk into a mess where a school fires its coach 3 years removed from a national title, when the coach is still going to be in the tourney this year.

:lol

BTW, he didn't even return Indiana's calls last year when they wanted him as choice numero uno, and when the AD at A&M offered him a fat raise he told him to put the money towards the new $21 million practice facility and locker rooms that is going up.

Pugglekicker_21
02-28-2007, 10:20 PM
I dont believe the he will want to walk away from what he is building at College Station.

sghspurs
02-28-2007, 11:57 PM
He's getting a top notch practice facility. He has a great recruiting class coming in next year, including DeAndre Jordan. He's going to get a big raise from the Ags after the season. He's got plenty of reasons to stay and I think he will.

50 cent
03-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Plus he's coaching games like tonight that are becoming the top story on Sportscenter.

Doug Collins
03-01-2007, 12:27 AM
A&M has the money to pay him anything he wants. He's not going anywhere.

K-State Spur
He's getting a top notch practice facility. He has a great recruiting class coming in next year, including DeAndre Jordan. He's going to get a big raise from the Ags after the season. He's got plenty of reasons to stay and I think he will.

All-in-all, I think Gillespie will stay.

That said...the reasons you Aggie fans are giving were also being given by Illinois fans right before Self jumped to KU, by Pitt fans right before Howland jumped to UCLA, by Clemson fans before Barnes jumped to UT, by KU fans right before Roy jumped to UNC (and they even had the luxury of knowing that he had already turned down the job once), etc, etc, etc... And with possible exception of Clemson, all of those schools were schools where basketball was clearly King.

leemajors
Plus he's coaching games like tonight that are becoming the top story on Sportscenter.

way more pub to be had at kentucky, plus i'm sure ashley judd will do her part to recruit him. :lol

Doug Collins
03-01-2007, 12:32 AM

That said...the reasons you Aggie fans are giving were also being given by Illinois fans right before Self jumped to KU, by Pitt fans right before Howland jumped to UCLA, by Clemson fans before Barnes jumped to UT, by KU fans right before Roy jumped to UNC (and they even had the luxury of knowing that he had already turned down the job once), etc, etc, etc... And with possible exception of Clemson, all of those schools were schools where basketball was clearly King.

At A&M Billy is a God at any other BBall 1st school the pressure of winning now and an irrational fanbase would add up to a crap situation. He can build his own legacy at A&M instead of going to another school where he is just another great coach in a long history of great coaches.

beachbarbie948
03-01-2007, 12:33 AM
I'd like to think he'd stay at A&M since he's from Texas.
But yeah. That doesn't mean much.

But A&M does have a crapload of money to throw at him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-01-2007, 12:38 AM

Again... Indiana. The fucking cradle of basketball. They called him, from what I have heard, over 20 times last spring, and he called them *once* to tell them to not bother calling again.

K-State Spur
03-01-2007, 12:47 AM
At A&M Billy is a God at any other BBall 1st school the pressure of winning now and an irrational fanbase would add up to a crap situation. He can build his own legacy at A&M instead of going to another school where he is just another great coach in a long history of great coaches.

I'll add the disclaimer again by saying that I don't think he'll go anywhere anytime soon.

But that reason you just gave could also have been given in all those other situations I mentioned, that's my point.

leemajors
03-01-2007, 12:51 AM
I'll add the disclaimer again by saying that I don't think he'll go anywhere anytime soon.

But that reason you just gave could also have been given in all those other situations I mentioned, that's my point.
college coaches lie?

MajorMike
03-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Coaches don't lie.
Fran was at his dream job at Bama.
Saban never talked to Bama.
Miles never talked to LSU.

Doug Collins
03-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Coaches don't lie.
Fran was at his dream job at Bama.
Saban never talked to Bama.
Miles never talked to LSU.

Those were all football examples...please stay on topic with bball examples :spin

degenerate_gambler
03-01-2007, 12:33 PM
I'd like to think he'd stay at A&M since he's from Texas.
But yeah. That doesn't mean much.

To most coaches, I'd agree with you.

I think he's the exception.

He coached high school and JC ball in Texas, left the state for 5 yrs to learn under Bill Self and then came right back to take over UTEP before moving on to A&M.

He either has already or will shortly establish a pipeline of in-state talent much the same way Mack Brown has done in football at Texas, through the strength of his relationships with Texas HS b-ball coaches.

Not to mention A&M's new practice facility that's under construction and will be nicer than anything at UT.

Jimcs50
03-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Billy is not going anywhere next year.

I will bet anyone right ow any amt of money.

Any takers?

MajorMike
03-01-2007, 01:01 PM
atm is now, has been, and will always be a football school. Basketball will always be 2nd fiddle. Same with uo. Same with SC. Yes they have nice crowds when they are good, but how long is it til football season? UK, Indy, Cincy, KU, these are all basketball schools. For a basketball coach who longs to be at the top of his profession, he longs for a position at a school such as that. billy learned 1st hand from the Self school of skipping til you get what you want. He's not at his last skip yet.

BeerIsGood!
03-01-2007, 01:14 PM

I know from first hand experience that taking a program that has never won before to new heights creates the irrational fanbase and pressure of winning every year. My father has done the same thing with more than one Texas high school basketball program, and it's always the same. The first few years with winning programs everyone loves you, everything is great. Once they get used to a certain level of winning, it all changes and the pressure is on. I think Billy will stay for a couple years further, but he's a smart, seasoned coach who realizes the time to strike for a big time college program or pro job is when the iron is hot and everyone loves you. Once the aggies get used to winning, and start to expect it, that may change everything. It may not, but you have to think it will at some point in time.

K-State Spur
03-01-2007, 01:18 PM
He either has already or will shortly establish a pipeline of in-state talent much the same way Mack Brown has done in football at Texas, through the strength of his relationships with Texas HS b-ball coaches.

Not to mention A&M's new practice facility that's under construction and will be nicer than anything at UT.

I disagree with you on one point. Basketball recruiting is a completely different breed than football. In football you can establish a relationship with in-state coaches and set up an pipeline for players to your school.

But thanks mostly due to AAU and the shoe camps, basketball recruiting is (and always will be) a more national process.

K-State Spur
03-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I also think many of you aggie fans are overrating the practice facility a bit. By most accounts, K-State has the best baseball practice facility in the conference. Do you expect the Bat Cats to start consistently out-recruiting UT, A&M, and UNL for talent?

Now, I'm not saying it doesn't matter, because clearly facilities play a large role, I just think you might be overselling that point a little.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-01-2007, 01:42 PM
It's the not the new facility in a vacuum. It's a a new facility to compliment the product on the floor and the coaching on the sidelines.

Jimcs50
03-01-2007, 01:47 PM
I also think many of you aggie fans are overrating the practice facility a bit. By most accounts, K-State has the best baseball practice facility in the conference. Do you expect the Bat Cats to start consistently out-recruiting UT, A&M, and UNL for talent?

Now, I'm not saying it doesn't matter, because clearly facilities play a large role, I just think you might be overselling that point a little.

The practice facility is just a representation of the commitment that A&M has to it's bball program. Billy can see that and he will not leave as long as the university continues to support his program as they should.

Billy will break Shelby's win record.

K-State Spur
03-01-2007, 01:54 PM
I think you guys are probably right, I just don't think you can say for sure. All those previous examples I posted were situations where fans thought the exact same thing that you all do and had just as much (and in a couple of cases - more) reason to think so.

j-6
03-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Again... Indiana. The fucking cradle of basketball. They called him, from what I have heard, over 20 times last spring, and he called them *once* to tell them to not bother calling again.

Do you know how many coaches turned that Indiana job down? Mike Woodson, Steve Alford, Tom Crean, Rick Majerus, Thad Matta, Randy Wittman, Rob Jeter, Mike Montgomery and Greg McDermott all said no sometime in the search process.

The Hoosiers wound up having to hire a guy in Kelvin Sampson that is prohibited from recruiting his entire first year on campus. You'd think the cradle of hoops could find one helluva lot better of a coach, but nobody wants to deal with the shadow of Bobby Knight and that idiot AD Greenspan.

Mr. Body
03-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Do you know how many coaches turned that Indiana job down? Mike Woodson, Steve Alford, Tom Crean, Rick Majerus, Thad Matta, Randy Wittman, Rob Jeter, Mike Montgomery and Greg McDermott all said no sometime in the search process.

The Hoosiers wound up having to hire a guy in Kelvin Sampson that is prohibited from recruiting his entire first year on campus. You'd think the cradle of hoops could find one helluva lot better of a coach, but nobody wants to deal with the shadow of Bobby Knight and that idiot AD Greenspan.

I'm not sure all those coaches were offered the Indiana job. Were they all contacted? Sure, probably all of them. That's a far cry from an offer. I find it hard to believe Mike Montgomery would turn that job down.

That said, Sampson is doing a great job this year with an undertalented squad with only one real blue chipper. And what's this about prohibitions on recruiting? It must be by magic they have the #6 class nationwide coming in next year, lead by Eric Gordon, who may be shortlisted for POY. They have one 5-star recruit in him, followed by three-four 4-star recruits. Under Sampson, with better recruiting than IU has had in years, they'll be a force.

j-6
03-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Sampson can't call or visit any recruits until summer '07 because the NCAA zapped him for all the shady recruiting he was doing at OU. And yeah, every one of those names said they weren't interested sometime during that process. Montgomery in particular recieved over $3M from Golden State in his buyout and has stated that he wants to stay on the West Coast near his family.

Something shady is going on with the Eric Gordon de-committment to Illinois. (My opinion)

K-State Spur
03-01-2007, 04:15 PM
The big nick against the IU job is that there is a big question if their fan base will truly accept any coach who isn't the general.

Not saying that Mike Davis did a great job there, but they were looking for reasons to run him out of town about a grand total of 2 minutes after the nat'l championship game in '02.

Mr. Body
03-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Something shady is going on with the Eric Gordon de-committment to Illinois. (My opinion)

Gordon grew up in Indianapolis and always wanted to play for Indiana. Once IU got a top-notch coach -- Mike Davis, a nice guy, was not a great coach -- he called them up himself. Get off your friggin high horse.

Every coaching recruiting process involves lots of names and yesses and nos. IU was extremely happy to get Kelvin Sampson and he's done very well with a shallow team this year and is probably in line to get COY for the Big Ten. As for his recruiting violations or probation, he's done a heck of a job pulling in - again - the #6 Rated class for next year.

IU :clap

you :nope

leemajors
03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Sampson can't call or visit any recruits until summer '07 because the NCAA zapped him for all the shady recruiting he was doing at OU. And yeah, every one of those names said they weren't interested sometime during that process. Montgomery in particular recieved over $3M from Golden State in his buyout and has stated that he wants to stay on the West Coast near his family.

there are no restrictions on him text messaging recruits!

Mr. Body
03-01-2007, 05:11 PM
The big nick against the IU job is that there is a big question if their fan base will truly accept any coach who isn't the general.

Not saying that Mike Davis did a great job there, but they were looking for reasons to run him out of town about a grand total of 2 minutes after the nat'l championship game in '02.

That win versus Wisconsin woke up a lot of fans this year. There'll always be a lot of backwoods Bobby Knight fans who will never back whoever currently is there, but those are all old and decrepit hicks. Not sure IU gets very far in the tourney this year, but he's already gained a lot of support. It helps he's unflashy, unpretentious, and will roll up his sleeves and dig down deep.

IcemanCometh
03-01-2007, 05:41 PM
aggie hoopsfan is convinced. so it must be true

Mr. Body
03-01-2007, 05:52 PM
aggie hoopsfan is convinced. so it must be true

:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-01-2007, 06:55 PM
You'd think the cradle of hoops could find one helluva lot better of a coach, but nobody wants to deal with the shadow of Bobby Knight and that idiot AD Greenspan.

Yet some of you seem to think Billy's willing to deal with the shadows of Rupp, etc. and go to a situation where they are going to make the tourney this year, won it all less than five years ago, and would have fired their coach for that not being good enough :lol