PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Spur Herrera faces tax evasion charges

Buddy Holly
03-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Ex-Spur Herrera faces tax evasion charges

Web Posted: 02/28/2007 11:39 PM CST

San Antonio Express-News

Former Spurs forward Carl V. Herrera turned himself in to federal authorities Wednesday to answer to charges that he owes more than $500,000 in taxes, and he was released on a signature bond following a hearing.

Herrera, 40, was indicted by a federal grand jury in San Antonio earlier this month on a charge of attempting to evade or defeat taxes. The Internal Revenue Service alleges in the indictment that Herrera owes $554,471 for 1994 through 1997.

Herrera played for the Spurs from 1995 to 1998. San Antonio traded him in June 1998 to Vancouver in exchange for Antonio Daniels, newspaper accounts show. Herrera began his career in Houston and was part of two Houston Rockets teams that won the NBA championship in 1993-1994 and 1994-1995.

In 1999, he split his time with Vancouver and Denver before being released, according to his court-appointed lawyer, Jay Moritz.

Herrera lately has been playing basketball in his home country, Venezuela, but is hampered by injury.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA030107.02B.herrera.322192b.html

KEDA
03-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Worst

Spur

Ever

Big P
03-01-2007, 01:21 AM
Couldn't

Agree

More

T Park
03-01-2007, 01:29 AM
:lol

No that glory would go to Andrew Gaze.

Tigole Bitties
03-01-2007, 02:07 AM
What's the "V" stand for?

Big P
03-01-2007, 02:09 AM

I guess you never saw Carl Herrera "play".

gospursgojas
03-01-2007, 02:24 AM
I played football with his son in high school. His son was a prick who wanted to fight everyone who hit him.

Somebody should of told him that we were playing football

slayermin
03-01-2007, 03:05 AM
Sidney Green

TDMVPDPOY
03-01-2007, 04:56 AM
i dont pity these so called players who cant live life after the nba, seriously if you earned that fuckn much in a year as compared to a normal blue shirt worker who works all his life not anywhere ur salary for a year, and you cant pay taxes and shit, you might as well go eat a turd.

KEDA
03-01-2007, 07:34 AM

Gaze never played, we have had many guys like that.

Herrera played, and it was BAD!!

I hope he gets what he deserves, he put me through enough stress over his short stint in Silver and Black.

KEDA
03-01-2007, 07:35 AM
oh and V stands for vagina, or at least it should have.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-01-2007, 09:37 AM
i dont pity these so called players who cant live life after the nba, seriously if you earned that fuckn much in a year as compared to a normal blue shirt worker who works all his life not anywhere ur salary for a year, and you cant pay taxes and shit, you might as well go eat a turd.

No shit.

Greedy rich bastards. Pay your damn taxes.

Samr
03-01-2007, 09:39 AM
If he got points for every time he hit the front of the rim (and it bounces downward, like a little kid who lacks the strength to get it all the way up there), he would have the highest FG% in Spur history. He ran the court like there was a stick up his ass and a candy bar waiting on the baseline. His post skills rivaled that of a blind man with Parkinson's. His shot selection could only have been better if he flipped a coin first, to decide whether to shoot it or turn it over. I have never seen a more aggressively pathetic display of basketball from any one single person than I saw from that man. I don't know how he made it into the NBA. I celebrated when he left.

tmtcsc
03-01-2007, 09:40 AM
hahahahhaha !!! Tito Ortiz in Break Dance 2: Electric Bugaloo..I love it, I love it, I......love it (Insert SNL skit lady here)

Worst Spur ever ? Charles Smith. :fro

sanman53
03-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Sounds like he will be needing some money now. Maybe we could sign him for the remainder of the season!

;-)

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Sounds like he will be needing some money now. Maybe we could sign him for the remainder of the season!

;-)
Why not? He's got just as much championship experience as Parker and Ginobili and the Spurs need to do something to match the veteran leadership that the Mavs will acquire with Reggie Miller. Cut Oberto, pick up Carl.

ashbeeigh
08-14-2007, 09:14 PM
BUMP

I figured I'd add this to the older thread, just so there weren't multiple threads going around.

Acquittal likely in ex-Spur's tax case

Web Posted: 08/13/2007 10:53 PM CDT

Graeme Zielinski
Express-News

Moments after a jury found him guilty Monday of tax evasion, fortune seemed to turn for former Spurs forward and Venezuelan national Carl Herrera when a federal judge gave strong signals he would throw out the verdict.

"The odds are in favor of me granting a motion for a judgment of acquittal," said U.S. District Judge W. Royal Furgeson Jr., who presided over the weeklong trial.

Over its course, Herrera's defense lawyer portrayed him as a victim of naiveté and unscrupulous handlers. The defense described a cascading series of misfortunes for Herrera, beginning with injuries that botched his NBA career, leading to marital troubles and financial destitution.

He was indicted in February on charges that, beginning in 2001, he lied to IRS agents and took steps to conceal his assets to avoid paying $554,471 in taxes owed from 1994 to 1997. That coincided with the peak of his NBA career: He was with two Houston Rockets championship teams and played with the Spurs from 1995 to 1998 before leaving the NBA in 1999 with a bum shoulder.

His IRS problems began not long after and so too, prosecutors alleged, did his efforts to avoid back taxes.

After the jury left the courtroom, Furgeson said that the government might have failed to prove certain elements of the crime. "I almost never overturn a jury verdict, but I could in this instance," he said, at the same time praising the jury's work in the case.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Thomas McHugh said, "I think that the jury's verdict is just an unfortunate consequence of many bad decisions on (Herrera's) part."

A federal trial judge overturning a jury verdict is rare, said David A. Schlueter, a St. Mary's University law professor. "In most cases, the judge will defer to the jury," he said. "It's unusual, but not unheard of."

Herrera, 40, whose mother is in a nursing home in the San Antonio area, was free on bond and was expected to return to Venezuela, where he still is trying to eke out a basketball career with pro teams there.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA081407.03B.herrera_tax.32d0f0f.html

T Park
08-14-2007, 09:49 PM
If youw atched him with the Rockets, he wasn't as bad as you all made him out to be.

Was he good? Not really.

Was he Greg kite bad? Not even close.

spur2020
08-15-2007, 07:05 PM
I played football with his son in high school. His son was a prick who wanted to fight everyone who hit him.

you are a liar. you didnt go to middle school or high school with him. i did. he moved to houston with his godfather 2 years ago. we were best friends.

spur2020
08-15-2007, 07:10 PM
V is for victor. i am not lying aobut being best friends with him. ive known him since 4th grade. he asked me just a few days ago if he could stay at my house during thankisgiving break. we are still really close

spur2020
08-15-2007, 07:34 PM
wait. my bad. were you talking about the oldest son, alex? or the second son jonathan? because i was best friends with jonathan. alex was the one who played varsity football in high school

MajorMike
08-15-2007, 07:36 PM
If you went to the same high school as him, you must have been absent in english, writing and speech classes.

spur2020
08-15-2007, 08:33 PM
i went to high school with jonathan, the younger one. he took regular classes during freshmen year and he left late during the first semester.

flipcritic
08-15-2007, 09:02 PM
I didn't follow Herrera when he was a Spur. But when he was a Rocket, he showed flashes of brilliance in the 1994 NBA Finals helping them win the championship. Maybe that's what the Spurs saw in him.

Too bad those were flashes in the pan.

BrianBird
08-15-2007, 10:29 PM

Haha Alex was a real :donkey

He "played" basketball at Spectrum all the time during my high school years. The guy must have thought he had some sense of entitlement since his dad was Carl V Herrera. I used to be a little guy and the prick always tried to start something with me or anyone else that was better than him or challenged him for being a dirty prick. Obviously inhereted his father's best personality traits.

spur2020
08-16-2007, 08:04 PM
although i never played at spectrum with alex at rogers ranch, i always played with jonathan. jonathan was very different. he was a really good friend