PDA

View Full Version : Lions trade Bly to Broncos

Pistons < Spurs
03-01-2007, 01:49 PM
The Detroit Lions have agreed to send cornerback Dre' Bly to the Denver Broncos in exchange for running back Tatum Bell and tackle George Foster. Trades cannot become official until Friday, the first day of the league year.

Bly, a two-time Pro Bowl performer who earned a Super Bowl ring as a member of the 1999 St. Louis Rams, did not fit well in the Tampa 2 defensive scheme employed by second-year head coach Rod Marinelli and new defensive coordinator Joe Barry. Thus the Lions granted Bly and his agent, Kennard McGuire, permission to seek a trade two weeks ago.

The New Orleans Saints, New York Giants and Washington Redskins also were in the running for the 29-year-old Bly.

Neither Bly nor McGuire was available for comment.

In Denver, Bly will join Champ Bailey in forming one of the game's top cornerback tandems. The Broncos needed a replacement for Darrent Williams, who was killed in a drive-by shooting after a New Year's Eve party in Denver.

Bly is considered one of the game's best big-play cornerbacks. In eight seasons he has intercepted 31 passes, forced 17 fumbles, and scored eight touchdowns (five interception returns, two fumble returns, one punt return). Last season Bly tied for the team lead with three interceptions and led the Lions with 18 passes defended and four forced fumbles.

Bly has one year remaining on the $22 million free-agent contract he signed in 2003 and the Broncos are expected to begin working on a long-term agreement with McGuire.

Bell, 25, became a starter for the first time last season, his third, and led the Broncos with 1,025 rushing yards. In three seasons with the Broncos he has rushed for 2,342 yards and 13 touchdowns and owns a career yards-per-carry average of 4.9. The speedy Bell provides depth and insurance for the Lions in the event top back Kevin Jones' foot injury keeps him sidelined into next season.

Foster started 45 out of a possible 48 games the past three seasons at right tackle. The Lions were last in the league in rushing and allowed the second-most sacks (63) last season, so improving the offensive line is one of the team's top offseason priorities.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784408

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Would have rather had the 3rd rounder and Bell, but I ain't complaining.

MajorMike
03-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Poor Tater.

03-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Poor Tater? Sure the franchise blows, but he should excel in Martz's O.

BTW, Denver traded a draft pick as well. From the same, updated article:

The Detroit Lions have agreed to send cornerback Dre' Bly to the Denver Broncos in exchange for running back Tatum Bell, tackle George Foster and a draft choice, believed to be a fifth-round pick.

I hate Millen, but this is a good deal for the Lions.

Vizzini
03-01-2007, 02:38 PM
They got a fifth rounder too from the way it looks. I'm not upset at all by this. This might actually get teams to think that the Lions would seriously consider drafting Calvin Johnson and make the #2 pick all the more valuable.

MajorMike
03-01-2007, 02:41 PM
He's not going in to be the #1 back.

Vizzini
03-01-2007, 02:46 PM
He's not going in to be the #1 back.

No, he won't but he will go in to be insurance in case Kevin Jones isn't ready to start the season, and he will provide great depth for when KJ returns. In today's NFL, you have to have two quality rb's, and I think the Lions may now have that.

sa_butta
03-01-2007, 02:50 PM
I think the Lions got the better end of this deal. Bell will be a nice two man combo for their running game.

Fillmoe
03-01-2007, 04:04 PM
How long before Dre Bly is found dead?

VBOOKIE?

Burn531
03-01-2007, 04:18 PM

VBOOKIE?

Ouch!

TheTruth
03-01-2007, 06:31 PM
The Broncos gave up a Running Back that couldn't stay healthy or hold on to the ball, and a tackle that lost his starting position to a player that was retired for two years for a ball hawking CB to play opposite Champ.

Broncos won this one.

TheTruth
03-01-2007, 06:32 PM

VBOOKIE?
very classy you fucking asshole.

samikeyp
03-01-2007, 06:58 PM

VBOOKIE?

That's fucked up, even for you.

Dirk Nowitzki
03-01-2007, 07:36 PM

VBOOKIE?

:rolleyes :rolleyes

Pugglekicker_21
03-01-2007, 07:45 PM
That aint right. Simply uncalled for. But even so, the Lions have now partially fixed their O woes. having Bell in the backfield will help, and Foster and Thomas will form one of the best tackle tandems in the league, but whoo looks at those. All that's left is the interior o line, a tight end, and a QB to learn from Kitna. PICK STANTON FROM MICHIGAN STATE IN THE 2ND ROUND WITH THE 34 PICK! Dont be retarded this kid may have had a bad season as a senior but he's quick and has a cannon for an arm, not as big as Russell's, but more likely bigger than Quinn's.

Horry For 3!
03-01-2007, 08:41 PM
The Broncos gave up a Running Back that couldn't stay healthy or hold on to the ball, and a tackle that lost his starting position to a player that was retired for two years for a ball hawking CB to play opposite Champ.

Broncos won this one.
Mike Bell = #1 RB in Denver now

TheTruth
03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
That aint right. Simply uncalled for. But even so, the Lions have now partially fixed their O woes. having Bell in the backfield will help, and Foster and Thomas will form one of the best tackle tandems in the league, but whoo looks at those. All that's left is the interior o line, a tight end, and a QB to learn from Kitna. PICK STANTON FROM MICHIGAN STATE IN THE 2ND ROUND WITH THE 34 PICK! Dont be retarded this kid may have had a bad season as a senior but he's quick and has a cannon for an arm, not as big as Russell's, but more likely bigger than Quinn's.
Have you ever once even seen Foster play? He's a bad tackle. He may be a decent guard some day.

Besides, the Lions are trying to get 3rd or 4th round picks for both Bell and Foster.

scott
03-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Me thinks Antonio Pittman would be a good fit in Denver.

03-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Wasn't Foster the last guy on the Broncos' roster from the '03 draft? Very Millen-esque.

The Lions upgraded their depth and the Broncos didn't have to try and outbid the likes of Washington for Bly. Win-win, IMO.

TheTruth
03-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Wasn't Foster the last guy on the Broncos' roster from the '03 draft? Very Millen-esque.

The Lions upgraded their depth and the Broncos didn't have to try and outbid the likes of Washington for Bly. Win-win, IMO.
Terrible, Terrible Draft. Even though I wouldn't know what it feels like to have cut two top 10 picks within the last year or so.

MajorMike
03-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Sorta messed up. Tater gets traded as a direct result of his best friend getting killed.

johnsmith
03-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Sorta messed up. Tater gets traded as a direct result of his best friend getting killed.

Regardless of Darrent Williams being alive or dead, they were going to get rid of Bell this off-season.

MajorMike
03-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Not arguing, but it is a fact why what happened in this case happened.

johnsmith
03-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Not arguing, but it is a fact why what happened in this case happened.

Normally I don't argue with you CaptMike, but I have no idea what you are trying to say in the above quote.

TheTruth
03-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Tatum Bell was not in the Broncos plans this season before Darrent was murdered.

mardigan
03-02-2007, 03:04 PM
The Broncos will get rid of any rb, look at Droughns. Tatum would have been gone no matter what.

Slinkyman
03-03-2007, 12:17 AM
The lions love our RBs, first olandis gary and now tatum bell. you'll be dissappointed once you realize his only talent is speed and once he's hit he goes down. Whoever said bell was traded because of Dwill is ignorant, Bell wanted out and denver was glad to move him. Also don't plan on Mike Bell being the #1 RB with henry or green possibly coming to denver.

mardigan
03-03-2007, 05:05 PM
No one will be able to complete a pass next year against them, unless they run a 3 or 4 wide reciever set constantly

johnsmith
03-03-2007, 05:17 PM
No one will be able to complete a pass next year against them, unless they run a 3 or 4 wide reciever set constantly

This is true, however, it's the front four of the Broncos defense I'm worried about. They need to get a pass rush desperately or all the pro bowl corners in the world won't help that much.

mardigan
03-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Dan Wilkinson will help, people might laugh at the Broncs getting him, but he is a huge man that constantly needs a double team on him

TheTruth
03-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Yeah, Dan Wilkinson and his size helps to free up the fastest linebacking corp in the league to create some havoc.

03-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Bly already unhappy in Denver? What a shock....

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/03/dre_bly_wants_to_be_a_skin.html?nav=rss_blog

Horry For 3!
03-04-2007, 08:54 PM
:lmao @ this Bly guy

P.S. He is an idiot, I would rather be in Denver who has a way better chance at the SB than the sucky Redskins

TheTruth
03-04-2007, 09:02 PM
He's already told Champ how happy he is to be in Denver. But if we could turn Bly into the Redskins first rounder and Shawn Springs I'd be very happy.

Horry For 3!
03-04-2007, 09:15 PM
He's already told Champ how happy he is to be in Denver. But if we could turn Bly into the Redskins first rounder and Shawn Springs I'd be very happy.
That would be pretty much a steal though, depending on who you get with the pick.