PDA

View Full Version : Sixers Notes | Full roster leaves Ayers with a new challenge

ducks
01-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Sixers Notes | Full roster leaves Ayers with a new challenge

By Joe Juliano, Inquirer Staff Writer

NEW ORLEANS - Having the maximum of 12 available players ready for a game is almost an embarrassment of riches for the 76ers, who have played with a full roster only six times in the first half of the NBA season because of injuries.

The Sixers had 12 ready to go again last night against the New Orleans Hornets, the first time they have had that many in back-to-back games since Nov. 25 and 26. But it also challenges coach Randy Ayers to develop a pattern of substitutions to give his team the best chance to win.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I think all players want to know when they're going in a game or when they're coming out of a game," Ayers said before tip-off.

"So, hopefully, we can get into a set pattern. I think you base it on the situation, but at least you try to get some semblance of a set pattern on your rotations.

"We'll have to make an adjustment when Marc [Jackson] comes back. I don't think it ends with just getting 12 guys back. We've got to get back out on the practice court and really work together to find out who is going to be in our set rotation."

Jackson, who has a fractured left ring finger and a stress reaction in his left foot, is expected back by the end of the month.

The injury situation has allowed some of the Sixers' younger players, particularly center Samuel Dalembert and rookie forward Kyle Korver, to show their mettle in games. Dalembert has proved to be a shot-blocking force in the middle, and Korver ranks third in the league in three-point percentage.

However, with players returning, Ayers has elected not to use everyone on his roster. That includes Greg Buckner, who started the last three games of the team's post-Christmas road trip while Aaron McKie was out with an injury, but hasn't played in the last two.

Shorthanded elsewhere. While the Sixers have a full roster, the Hornets, coached by Tim Floyd, dressed just eight men - the NBA minimum - for last night's game.

Contact staff writer Joe Juliano at 215-854-4494 or [email protected].