PDA

View Full Version : Still haunting them?

lefty
03-01-2007, 07:17 PM
In 1982, the Utah Jazz drafted some guy named Dominique Wilkins and traded him right away to Atlanta for some guys and some cash :lol :lol :lol :lol

In 1984, the Blazers drafted Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan...mm...Drexler+Jordan :hungry: ...could have been something for Blazers fans, and nothing for Bulls fans

in 1996 , the Hornets drafted Kobe Bryant and traded him right away to L.A for Divac :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol ; Jerry West's genius or Hornets' stupidity???

1998 ; the Bucks draft Nowitizki and trade him to Dallas for...."Tractor" Traylor :lol

monosylab1k
03-01-2007, 07:23 PM
1998 ; the Bucks draft Nowitizki and trade him to Dallas for...."Tractor" Traylor :lol

I hate to admit it, but I hated this trade at the time.

95% of HONEST Mavs fans will admit much of the same.

At the time, when Traylor was drafted everyone was thinking "Yes! A big bruiser who can dominate down low!"

And when they traded him for Dirk, everyone was thinking "WTF??!?!?! Some fuckin' German kid??!?!?! FUCK YOU Don Nelson!!! FUCK YOU UP YOUR ASS!!!"

The rare few who actually followed the Mavs before the massive bandwagon came around will remember this.

lefty
03-01-2007, 07:26 PM

At the time, when Traylor was drafted everyone was thinking "Yes! A big bruiser who can dominate down low!"

And when they traded him for Dirk, everyone was thinking "WTF??!?!?! Some fuckin' German kid??!?!?! FUCK YOU Don Nelson!!! FUCK YOU UP YOUR ASS!!!"

The rare few who actually followed the Mavs before the massive bandwagon came around will remember this.

Back then, I had the feeling Dirk could succeed in the NBA, because they showed footages of Dirk working hard : dribbling, shooting for hours and hours a la Larry Bird...and u know hard work pays off

monosylab1k
03-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Back then, I had the feeling Dirk could succeed in the NBA, because they showed footages of Dirk working hard : dribbling, shooting for hours and hours a la Larry Bird...and u know hard work pays off

Yeah i remember that footage of him in Germany that Nellie was trying to use to convince everyone that Dirk had skill....at the time though, the vast majority of Mavs fans didn't care and hated the deal mainly because we thought we had just drafted another Chris Anstey or Uwe Blab.

lefty
03-01-2007, 07:31 PM
The Bucks already had Ray Allen and Big Dog Robinson ; put Nowitzki as a PF and u have something.

monosylab1k
03-01-2007, 07:33 PM
The Bucks already had Ray Allen and Big Dog Robinson ; put Nowitzki as a PF and u have something.

Didn't they have Cassell back then too? Man, that would have been a great team if they didn't make one of the worst trades in NBA history.

lefty
03-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Didn't they have Cassell back then too? Man, that would have been a great team if they didn't make one of the worst trades in NBA history.

Correct ; they had Sam too

dallaskd
03-01-2007, 08:13 PM

Dirk was horrible his first season. i thought he was gonna be a Pavel Podkolzin or Evan Eshmeyer. We knew he could score but i never saw him doing this.

P-O-Z
03-01-2007, 08:15 PM
dirk and nash was very bad then one day they became like best friends and practice together that why they are so good offensively

RonMexico
03-01-2007, 09:50 PM

First Mavs fan ever to admit there is a bandwagon... thank you... you've earned some major points.

bulletedge
03-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Yep, I thought it was a stupid trade at the time. Especially considering that the Mavs had never had a low post bruiser...come to think of it, they still haven't had one.

monosylab1k
03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
First Mavs fan ever to admit there is a bandwagon... thank you... you've earned some major points.

I don't see how Mavs fans COULDN'T admit that a gigantic ass bandwagon has developed. There obviously aren't too many who remember 10 years ago when barely 6000 people would show up to Reunion Arena. There aren't too many who remember that the team's advertising campaign used to be "Come Grow With Us"....which basicallly means "come watch a bunch of young players that aren't any good get murdered every night".

The bandwagon Mavs fans showed mild interest the one year when the Three-J's had a halfway decent (actually pretty mediocre) season. They took a peek, saw that the team still sucked, and went right back to rooting for the Lakers.

And, to me, the biggest thing of all.......only a bandwagoner would ever boo Michael Finley. Anybody who's been a fan of the team for any real length of time realizes just how much he did for the Mavs organization back when the Mavs organization couldn't do anything right. The man deserves a standing ovation every time he steps foot in the AAC. It was probably the most embarrassing moment in Mavericks history when he got booed.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I wish someone had the pictures of Nash and Dirk when they signed with the mavs. They looked like dorks. If I recall, their haircuts were something else.

BigBinBigD
03-02-2007, 09:51 AM
No bandwaggoner here. I've been a season-ticket holder since 1985. I never wanted Tractor. I remember the first pre-season game I saw Dirk play, I said to my bro at halftime, "This kid's gonna be real good." You could see it in his shot right away. Sure, he had a LONG way to go, but you can't shoot the ball the way he does and not have a ton of success.

As for Finley, he was a pretty good player on a really bad team. Those are a dime a dozen. When the torch started to be passed to Dirk, he couldn't stand it. Whenever Dirk hit a big shot or had a big game, it's almost as if Finley resented it. Never once do I remember him being happy for Dirk or even high-fiving him (back when they did that).

Call me anti-Mav if you want, but I always thought Finley was WAY overrated. I still have nightmares over that forced fade-away jumper of his. And his lack of dribbling severly negated his one asset, getting to the hole and dunking. And when they maxed him out, I remember thinking that was a HUGE mistake. Now it's obvious I was right. Nash and Dirk are what turned this franchise around.

monosylab1k
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
As for Finley, he was a pretty good player on a really bad team. Those are a dime a dozen.

He was alot more than just that. He promoted the team, he believed in the team, and he stuck around and was the one guy that Mavs fans could be proud of back when the team was horrendous. He played his heart out every night even when he knew the team had no chance of winning. He gave everything he had for years as a member of this team, and while it was the right move to release him, it is an absolute embarrassment to real Mavericks fans that Finley got booed last season.

As far as your claim that he was jealous of Dirk, it makes me doubt you've ever watched the Mavericks in your life. Finley's never had any jealousy towards Dirk, and he's celebrated with him just like everyone else. And episode of Punk'd even showed the two going out to eat together. Just because he wasn't as good of friends with Dirk as Nash doesn't mean he was in any way jealous of him. Without Michael Finley, the Dallas Mavericks do not even come close to having the success they have right now.

BigBinBigD
03-02-2007, 10:26 AM
I'd be willing to bet a WHOLE lot I've watched more Mavs games than you, pal. Just glad I don't have to watch Finley clanking up bricks and dribbling around as if he has mitts on his hands very often anymore. And REAL glad I don't have to pay him that ridiculous, never-warranted salary.

monosylab1k
03-02-2007, 10:39 AM
I'd be willing to bet a WHOLE lot I've watched more Mavs games than you, pal. Just glad I don't have to watch Finley clanking up bricks and dribbling around as if he has mitts on his hands very often anymore. And REAL glad I don't have to pay him that ridiculous, never-warranted salary.

There's a difference between watching and understanding what's going on. If you think all Finley did was "clank up bricks" and "dribble around" then you obviously didn't get the bigger picture. Was he perfect? No. Was he way overpaid? Yes. But he contributed SIGNIFICANTLY to this team, and he is a BIG reason why they're as good as they are today. Trying to negate what Finley did for this organization smacks of bandwagonner talk.

BigBinBigD
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I've only been playing/coaching/watching for 40 years so I guess I don't understand yet. Maybe in time.

Let's just agree to disagree. We're both fans of the same team.

monosylab1k
03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I've only been playing/coaching/watching for 40 years so I guess I don't understand yet. Maybe in time.

The game has changed alot in 40 years.

I just don't see how anybody would want/try to cheapen what Finley did for the Mavericks organization. Especially with completely unfounded claims of his "jealousy" towards Dirk.

mavsfan1000
03-02-2007, 11:45 AM
I thought this was another mavs-heat thread. :lol Glad it wasn't.

BigBinBigD
03-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I didn't say I quit watching 40 years ago. Good lord, I'm aware of the changes.

And I know someone who used to play with Dirk and Finley so my opinions are a little more than unfounded.

monosylab1k
03-02-2007, 11:52 AM
I didn't say I quit watching 40 years ago. Good lord, I'm aware of the changes.

And I know someone who used to play with Dirk and Finley so my opinions are a little more than unfounded.

Who is this "someone"??? Do you have any proof whatsoever? If you expect to make some sort of bold claim like this, you better be ready to back it up. Until then, I think you're full of shit.

There's plenty of quotes and pictures showing Finley fully supporting Dirk. Never an iota of jealousy. I can post them all day long if necessary.

And, even though I don't believe it for one second, supposing there even was some jealousy, Finley would NEVER publicly show it because he cared first and foremost about the TEAM. Another reason why it's so horrible and embarrassing that some Mavs fans want to try and cheapen the accomplishments of one of the classiest men to ever be a part of this team.

clambake
03-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Don't forget, the mavs passed up karl malone for detlef schremf.

kskonn
03-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Who is this "someone"??? Do you have any proof whatsoever? If you expect to make some sort of bold claim like this, you better be ready to back it up. Until then, I think you're full of shit.

There's plenty of quotes and pictures showing Finley fully supporting Dirk. Never an iota of jealousy. I can post them all day long if necessary.

And, even though I don't believe it for one second, supposing there even was some jealousy, Finley would NEVER publicly show it because he cared first and foremost about the TEAM. Another reason why it's so horrible and embarrassing that some Mavs fans want to try and cheapen the accomplishments of one of the classiest men to ever be a part of this team.

I could be wrong but you seem like you would know. Wasn't Dirk the guy who sat with finley after they got eliminated a few years back and tried to convince him that He was not being cut because of court issues? I think he even tried to convince him that he was not goint to get cut at all? I also know I have heard Dirk speak of how much finley helped him when he got to the NBA.

Obviously I don't follow the Mavs like I do the Spurs but it seems like I distinctly remember Finley or Dirk talking about all of this.

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 12:56 PM
That's when Jerry West was at his best. :clap :clap

Although Vlade has always been a very good player even after that. Ask the Queens fans.

Trainwreck2100
03-02-2007, 01:23 PM
I thought the Kobe trade was him wanting to play for a big market team

baseline bum
03-02-2007, 01:30 PM
No bandwaggoner here. I've been a season-ticket holder since 1985. I never wanted Tractor. I remember the first pre-season game I saw Dirk play, I said to my bro at halftime, "This kid's gonna be real good." You could see it in his shot right away. Sure, he had a LONG way to go, but you can't shoot the ball the way he does and not have a ton of success.

As for Finley, he was a pretty good player on a really bad team. Those are a dime a dozen. When the torch started to be passed to Dirk, he couldn't stand it. Whenever Dirk hit a big shot or had a big game, it's almost as if Finley resented it. Never once do I remember him being happy for Dirk or even high-fiving him (back when they did that).

Call me anti-Mav if you want, but I always thought Finley was WAY overrated. I still have nightmares over that forced fade-away jumper of his. And his lack of dribbling severly negated his one asset, getting to the hole and dunking. And when they maxed him out, I remember thinking that was a HUGE mistake. Now it's obvious I was right. Nash and Dirk are what turned this franchise around.

BS. Finley singlehandedly brought you guys back from down 0-2 to beat Utah in 2001.

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 01:35 PM
I thought the Kobe trade was him wanting to play for a big market team
I don't think he had that much pull to say where he was going to play. If Charlotte wanted him, there was nothing he could say. It was definitely a pre-draft agreement with Jerry West. He told Charlotte to draft him and he would give them Vlade.

Bob Lanier
03-02-2007, 01:45 PM
In 2003 Detroit drafted Darko Milicic and traded him for Kelvin Cato :lol and a non-lottery pick.

lefty
03-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Don't forget, the mavs passed up karl malone for detlef schremf.

Sure, Detlef was no MVP, but at least he wasn't a bust like Bowie or Traylor

Detlef :
2 consecutive 6th man of the year with Indiana
All-Star
To sum up, a terrific all-around player who had no luck playing for chocking, underachieving teams (Sonics before they made the Finals, Blazers in 2000)

jacobdrj
03-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Wow... people obsessed with the bandwagon... what the hell is wrong with a bandwagon? Your professional teams have to get their fans SOMETIME... The fact is, if you team looses, makes and makes no attempts to win, you are bad fans for continuing to support your team... ala- Detroit Lions' fans...

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Wow... people obsessed with the bandwagon... what the hell is wrong with a bandwagon? Your professional teams have to get their fans SOMETIME... The fact is, if you team looses, makes and makes no attempts to win, you are bad fans for continuing to support your team... ala- Detroit Lions' fans...
The bandwagon has spoken.

Dirkadirkastan
03-02-2007, 03:58 PM
The main problem I have with the bandwagon is not the people jumping on when things are going well, but jumping off when things aren't. As Jacob said, people have to become fans at some point. But they shouldn't pick and choose a new favorite team every year just because they feel like winning.

mardigan
03-02-2007, 04:14 PM
I have to admit, as much as I am a diehard Spur fan, I used to LOVE the Mavs when they had Mashburn, Kidd, and one of my favorite players ever, the great Jimmy Jackson. Back then you couldnt find a Mav fan, but now? Like cock-a-roaches

mardigan
03-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Bandwagons are for fans that either A)dont know anything about sports so they jump on every good team, B)dont have the balls to stick with their team when they arent doing that great. The whole basis of having a team in your city is to become a fan of that team regardless how bad or good they are doing. Look at Disgruntled Lions fan or ChumpDumper, sticking with the Lions or Hawks, as hard as that might be, shows true love for their teams. No respect for bandwagoners.

lefty
03-02-2007, 04:33 PM
I have to admit, as much as I am a diehard Spur fan, I used to LOVE the Mavs when they had Mashburn, Kidd, and one of my favorite players ever, the great Jimmy Jackson. Back then you couldnt find a Mav fan, but now? Like cock-a-roaches

I remember Kidd's rookie season ; Mash and JJ averaged 26 ppg each ; they both had 50 pts games each ; Mash scored 50 on Pippen ; pretty impressive ; plus, he scored some sick baskets that season

mardigan
03-02-2007, 04:35 PM
^^Yeah, I will never understand why they didnt keep that team together

monosylab1k
03-02-2007, 05:01 PM
^^Yeah, I will never understand why they didnt keep that team together

That team played well together for about 2 months and finished Kidd's rookie year with a 36-46 record. And that's as good as it got. The very next year JJ and Mash were exposed as not being that great, Kidd still couldn't shoot for shit, and all three of them had huge ego's and a WAY OVERBLOWN view of their own value. On top of all that, Toni Braxton came into the picture and Yoko Ono'd that team into the ground (lol). That team never would have gotten any better with them. When Don Nelson came into town and shipped them all outta here, he did the right thing. It's just unfortunate that he put all his faith in Shawn Bradley.

monosylab1k
03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
The main problem I have with the bandwagon is not the people jumping on when things are going well, but jumping off when things aren't. As Jacob said, people have to become fans at some point. But they shouldn't pick and choose a new favorite team every year just because they feel like winning.

That's exactly it. Everyone in Dallas was Mavs fans in the 80's, switched to Rockets/Lakers/Bulls fans in the 90's, and back to Mavs fans. I love the Mavericks, and I love the crowds that are here now...but I know that as soon as this team falls back and starts to suck, whether it's 5 years or 10 years from now...all these so-called Mavs fans will go back to supporting whoever wins the championship that year.

mardigan
03-02-2007, 05:28 PM
That team played well together for about 2 months and finished Kidd's rookie year with a 36-46 record. And that's as good as it got. The very next year JJ and Mash were exposed as not being that great, Kidd still couldn't shoot for shit, and all three of them had huge ego's and a WAY OVERBLOWN view of their own value. On top of all that, Toni Braxton came into the picture and Yoko Ono'd that team into the ground (lol). That team never would have gotten any better with them. When Don Nelson came into town and shipped them all outta here, he did the right thing. It's just unfortunate that he put all his faith in Shawn Bradley.

Cant say I agree with you on your analysis of Jimmy or Jamal. Jamal was a career 19 points a game, and was injured the entire next year you speak of, the same year that Jimmy averager almost 20 a game, so niether were exposed. I agree that the franchise wasnt getting better, and Kidd and Jackson were always fighting, but the Mavs traded Mash and Kidd in seperate deals that pretty much got them Finley, and thats about it. Jackson, Cassel and Gatling for Bradley? Yeah it eventually worked out, but you cant tell me that trading those players did anything for the franchise.

clambake
03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
I enjoyed watching Perkins, Harper, Blackman, Donaldson and even Aguire. I hated watching the self destruction of what could have been greatness of Tarpley. Brad Davis was all heart. "F" Kiki.

lefty
03-02-2007, 05:44 PM
I enjoyed watching Perkins, Harper, Blackman, Donaldson and even Aguire. I hated watching the self destruction of what could have been greatness of Tarpley. Brad Davis was all heart. "F" Kiki.

Kids, stay way from drugs

Dallas pushed the mighty Lakers to a 7th game in the 1988 WCF

mardigan
03-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Yea, its funny to think how bad the Mavs have been in the past with some of the players they have had. Got to blame it on managment, except for Tarpley, what a waste of talent

Findog
03-02-2007, 05:48 PM

Yes. The context for this is that at the time it appeared Nelson had a boner for drafting unproductive foreigners, like Chris Antsey. And they could've taken Paul Pierce instead of trading for Dirk's rights. So there was that angle as well. It took Dirk about three years to render this line of thinking obselete.

Findog
03-02-2007, 05:53 PM
I don't see how Mavs fans COULDN'T admit that a gigantic ass bandwagon has developed. There obviously aren't too many who remember 10 years ago when barely 6000 people would show up to Reunion Arena. There aren't too many who remember that the team's advertising campaign used to be "Come Grow With Us"....which basicallly means "come watch a bunch of young players that aren't any good get murdered every night".

The bandwagon Mavs fans showed mild interest the one year when the Three-J's had a halfway decent (actually pretty mediocre) season. They took a peek, saw that the team still sucked, and went right back to rooting for the Lakers.

And, to me, the biggest thing of all.......only a bandwagoner would ever boo Michael Finley. Anybody who's been a fan of the team for any real length of time realizes just how much he did for the Mavs organization back when the Mavs organization couldn't do anything right. The man deserves a standing ovation every time he steps foot in the AAC. It was probably the most embarrassing moment in Mavericks history when he got booed.

Good Lord. Somebody else who has suffered through Mike Iuzzolino, Greg Dreiling, Randy White, Walter Bond and Doug Smith. It's hard having to share this special season with the bandwagoners, you know, the kind of people who post things like "MAVERCICKS R THU SHIZNITT! DIRK RULEZ!!!! FUCK THE HEAT!"""" I went to the game last nite, I would say a good 2/3s of the people at the AAC are bandwagoners. Our home crowd sucks -- they don't show up until halfway through the 1st quarter and they started clearing out with 3 minutes left thinking the game was over.

clambake
03-02-2007, 05:54 PM
In Pat Riley's book he wrote that he had no answer on how to deal with Tarpley.

What a waste.

clambake
03-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Randy White was as special as a root canal. Don't forget whats his name, Farmer?

mardigan
03-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Good Lord. Somebody else who has suffered through Mike Iuzzolino, Greg Dreiling, Randy White, Walter Bond and Doug Smith. It's hard having to share this special season with the bandwagoners, you know, the kind of people who post things like "MAVERCICKS R THU SHIZNITT! DIRK RULEZ!!!! FUCK THE HEAT!"""" I went to the game last nite, I would say a good 2/3s of the people at the AAC are bandwagoners. Our home crowd sucks -- they don't show up until halfway through the 1st quarter and they started clearing out with 3 minutes left thinking the game was over.

I repect the shit out of Mav fans that have stuck with them through the years. I used to drive up with my dad to see Spur games in Dallas in the mid 90s, and there werent ever fans there, even prompting my dad to wonder once how they kept that franchise their. I hate the guy, but I have to give it up to Cuban for seeing something in the city and franchise that no one else saw. I am happy for all the true Mav fans that you finally get to see your franchise on top, and I guess we shall see what happens in the playoffs!

mardigan
03-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Randy White was as special as a root canal. Don't forget whats his name, Farmer?
Popeye Jones was the best, no athletic ability or muscles, all hustle

Findog
03-02-2007, 06:11 PM
In Pat Riley's book he wrote that he had no answer on how to deal with Tarpley.

What a waste.

I think his upside and potential was even higher than Karl Malone's. He would've worked his way into discussion of the best power forwards of all time given the chance.

clambake
03-02-2007, 06:14 PM
The only way to defend against Tarpley was with a line of cocaine.

Findog
03-02-2007, 06:16 PM
I repect the shit out of Mav fans that have stuck with them through the years. I used to drive up with my dad to see Spur games in Dallas in the mid 90s, and there werent ever fans there, even prompting my dad to wonder once how they kept that franchise their. I hate the guy, but I have to give it up to Cuban for seeing something in the city and franchise that no one else saw. I am happy for all the true Mav fans that you finally get to see your franchise on top, and I guess we shall see what happens in the playoffs!

The only thing that ever came close to shaking my faith and convincing me to throw in the towel on being a Mavs fan was the Kidd trade when the ownership situation was in flux and the GM was a fucking used car salesman (I shit you not!) I can't believe that in a power struggle between arguably the best PG in the game and Jim Cleamons, they sided with Jim Cleamons. Of course the ironic thing is that it was Kidd and garbage for Finley, the virgin and Sam Cassell. They actually ended up getting 80 cents on the dollar for Kidd. And who knows if the Mavs would've won a title with Kidd. They certainly wouldn't have been in a position to get Dirk if they had kept Kidd. So I guess it worked out.

monosylab1k
03-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Cant say I agree with you on your analysis of Jimmy or Jamal. Jamal was a career 19 points a game, and was injured the entire next year you speak of, the same year that Jimmy averager almost 20 a game, so niether were exposed. I agree that the franchise wasnt getting better, and Kidd and Jackson were always fighting, but the Mavs traded Mash and Kidd in seperate deals that pretty much got them Finley, and thats about it. Jackson, Cassel and Gatling for Bradley? Yeah it eventually worked out, but you cant tell me that trading those players did anything for the franchise.

You forgot that the season after recovering from the injury, Jamal Mashburn averaged 11 ppg and pouted until Nellie traded him away. The guy can shoot but that's was just about his only skill. Jim Jackson was also regressing with each year. Mash, JJ, and Kidd were too immature, and all three thought they were superstars when only one of them really was. The chemistry just wasn't there with those three, and Nellie trading them away was the smartest thing he could have done. If he kept them there, the Mavs would have toiled with 35-45 wins each year, never would have been a contender, and we never would have been in position to get Dirk or felt the need to trade for Nash.

monosylab1k
03-02-2007, 06:45 PM

Yeah it's weird, but there's definitely some pride in being able to say that we were there and suffered through the dark days of the Mavericks. Days when, even though it defied all logic, we hoped that just MAYBE Cherokee Parks or Samaki Walker would figure it out.

What's sad is that probably more Spurs fans know who Leon Smith is than Mavs fans these days.

jacobdrj
03-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Well, when we are talking about the Mavs, we are talking about a relatively fresh franchise that didn't exactly take the league by storm until the Cuban era...

It is one thing to stick by your school team, even when they're down. You certainly shouldn't abandon your team, even in the Pros, if it is obvious that the team is trying to win... it is wholly something else when dumb fans specifically support their team basked on their loosing (Cubs) or support a team that does not support them back (Clippers). And it is the responsibility of fans to NOT support teams that are just inept, or otherwise change will never happen (Knicks, Lions).

mardigan
03-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah it's weird, but there's definitely some pride in being able to say that we were there and suffered through the dark days of the Mavericks. Days when, even though it defied all logic, we hoped that just MAYBE Cherokee Parks or Samaki Walker would figure it out.

What's sad is that probably more Spurs fans know who Leon Smith is than Mavs fans these days.
Thats cause the Spurs drafted him, then traded him for the rights to Giricek. Damn, thats another sad story...

monosylab1k
03-02-2007, 07:06 PM
And it is the responsibility of fans to NOT support teams that are just inept, or otherwise change will never happen (Knicks, Lions).

Oh there's definitely a difference between not supporting your team, and being a bandwagoner for sure. The thing is, with the Lions fans putting paper bags over their heads and walking out of games, they're doing it BECAUSE they're true fans. When the Mavs go 20-62 and the only Reunion Arena game that sells out is the Bulls, and 90% of the crowd is cheering for Jordan, that's just pathetic.

BTW that was one of my favorite Mavs moments, even to this day. The night when Michael Finley, Cedric Ceballos, and the lowly little Mavericks beat Jordan and the mighty Chicago Bulls.

mardigan
03-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Oh there's definitely a difference between not supporting your team, and being a bandwagoner for sure. The thing is, with the Lions fans putting paper bags over their heads and walking out of games, they're doing it BECAUSE they're true fans. When the Mavs go 20-62 and the only Reunion Arena game that sells out is the Bulls, and 90% of the crowd is cheering for Jordan, that's just pathetic.

BTW that was one of my favorite Mavs moments, even to this day. The night when Michael Finley, Cedric Ceballos, and the lowly little Mavericks beat Jordan and the mighty Chicago Bulls.
Yeah when you start wearing bags on your head and talk shit about your team, its because you love them so much or else you wouldnt go through all the trouble. Ill admit, the year before the Spurs got Timmy and they went 20-62, I didnt watch as many games as usual, but I realized that you just have to have faith

monosylab1k
03-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah when you start wearing bags on your head and talk shit about your team, its because you love them so much or else you wouldnt go through all the trouble. Ill admit, the year before the Spurs got Timmy and they went 20-62, I didnt watch as many games as usual, but I realized that you just have to have faith

That's the difference between a true fan and a bad one. Most Mavs "fans" will be rooting for the Lakers the next time the Mavs have a bad year.

mardigan
03-03-2007, 01:46 PM
All these new Mav fans give true ones like you a bad name, I think thats why Spur fans have started hating so much, because for every smart fan like you there are 10 dipshit fans

monosylab1k
03-03-2007, 02:04 PM
All these new Mav fans give true ones like you a bad name, I think thats why Spur fans have started hating so much, because for every smart fan like you there are 10 dipshit fans

Yeah unfortunately it's true. I think the big barometer was the whole Finley situation. Someone who followed the Mavs for a long time and was a true fan that knew everything he did for our organization would never boo Finley in a million years. Unfortunately, they booed him big time in the playoffs, and i guess said some dirty things to him as well. People tried to use the "Dirk told us to boo him!" excuse, but anybody with a brain knows that Dirk was being tongue-in-cheek when he said it.

I'll engage in shit talk with Spurs fans and Suns fans all day long, but in the end, I'll criticize the hell out of my own team if it's warranted, and I think i see things fairly realistically (haha i hope).

I think that maybe alot of these Mavs fans now might be kids that might have been a little too young to be big Mavs fans back in the day, but now they are. I give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll remain true fans. But the majority of Dallas is definitely filled with douchebag bandwagonners.

mardigan
03-03-2007, 02:38 PM
That was really disgusting when the Mavs fans booed him, kind of made me hate them for the first time in my life.

Horry For 3!
03-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Popeye Jones was the best, no athletic ability or muscles, all hustle
I will still remember this... it was the Spurs vs Mavs. I was 11 years old. I was sitting in the nose bleed section because we got free tickets to the game for being in some basketball camp. I can still see popeye jones big ass ears from the nose bleed section :lmao

mardigan
03-03-2007, 03:02 PM
I will still remember this... it was the Spurs vs Mavs. I was 11 years old. I was sitting in the nose bleed section because we got free tickets to the game for being in some basketball camp. I can still see popeye jones big ass ears from the nose bleed section :lmao
Not to mention that his upper body looked like a pear

mabber
03-03-2007, 06:43 PM
I didn't have a problem with the trade for Dirk (Tractor wasn't that appealing to me). I did, however, really want Paul Pierce in that draft. I may be wrong as it's been awhile, but I think Pierce was drafted with the next pick after Dirk. I knew Pierce would be ready to contribute sooner than Dirk and he was. Who knew Dirk would turn out to be as good as he has?

mabber
03-03-2007, 06:43 PM
I didn't have a problem with the trade for Dirk (Tractor wasn't that appealing to me). I did, however, really want Paul Pierce in that draft. I may be wrong as it's been awhile, but I think Pierce was drafted with the next pick after Dirk. I knew Pierce would be ready to contribute sooner than Dirk and he was. Who knew Dirk would turn out to be as good as he has?