PDA

View Full Version : 3/11/07 Mavs @ Lakers Thread something has to give

dallasmavsnfuego214
03-01-2007, 11:34 PM
with all due respect to the Nets who we play on Tuesday, this is really the game that all eyes will be on soon.

Mavs have lost the last 51 out of 53 games @ Lakers. yes, you read that right. but we've also won 14 soon to be 15 in a row. if there is a Maverick house of horrors, this is the big mamma jamma of them all.

do you guys think the streak will hold up?

stretch
03-01-2007, 11:39 PM
i think so. the last loss at LA was a fluke. Mavs will get revenge this time.

Budkin
03-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Nice avatar Stretch! :lol

trueD
03-01-2007, 11:51 PM
BEAT

L.A.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/trudyfan/KobeVanessa.jpg

Burn531
03-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Why is there a game thread for every Mavs game?

It just takes up space.

schadenfreude52
03-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Mavs will have their payback for the last loss.

Book it.

ponky
03-02-2007, 03:08 AM
it would be nice to have devean george by the lakers game...i think it's possible, not sure what the timeline is for his return

i'm focused on the nets game because it will set a new franchise record for longest win streak...then i'll get excited about the lakers

Tradition
03-02-2007, 05:02 AM
When the Lakers are healthy, they match up with the Mavs extremely well. Historically no team has owned the Mavs like the Lakers have. Having Odom this time will allow Kobe to go apeshit on them like he always does. With that being said next year will be the year we will be serious title contenders. We arent ready this year. There is a reason why the greatest team in NBA history along with the greatest coach of all time is way ahead of schedule since the Shaq era ended.

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Well you guys shouldn't be looking past your next game. And I didn't realize it was 51 out of 53. Damn that's going back to the Forum. The Lakers should have Kwame and maybe Luke for that game. And we all know Kobe goes crazy against Dallas. I think the Lakehow can win. Should be a good game. But till then we have Sacramento and Phoenix to worry about. So we're not looking past them.

Damn I didn't realize you guys have only 2 games till then. We have a whole week of games. Way to early for the Lakers to be looking at that game. Dallas fans are gonna be pumped for this game after a slow week.

I bet Kobe has that game circled though. :smokin

Findog
03-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Historically no team has owned the Mavs like the Lakers have.

What does Showtime owning Aguirre and Blackman have to do with the present?

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Kobe still owns them.

FromWayDowntown
03-02-2007, 01:16 PM

51 of the last 53 (and 87 of 113 all-time) would seem to apply to far more than Aguirre and Blackman. It would seem to apply to more than Kidd, Mashburn, and Jackson as well.

Findog
03-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Kobe still owns them.

Since Shaq left, not so much. Kobe is 5-5 against Dallas without him over the past three seasons.

Findog
03-02-2007, 01:49 PM
51 of the last 53 (and 87 of 113 all-time) would seem to apply to far more than Aguirre and Blackman. It would seem to apply to more than Kidd, Mashburn, and Jackson as well.

And Bradley, Pack and Ed O'Bannon as well. Thanks for reminding me that my team was the NBA's equivalent of the 40-yr-old virgin for an entire decade.

TheMulvany
03-02-2007, 01:50 PM
When the Lakers are healthy, they match up with the Mavs extremely well. Historically no team has owned the Mavs like the Lakers have. Having Odom this time will allow Kobe to go apeshit on them like he always does. With that being said next year will be the year we will be serious title contenders. We arent ready this year. There is a reason why the greatest team in NBA history along with the greatest coach of all time is way ahead of schedule since the Shaq era ended.

"Historically", the Lakers used to be good, that's why they beat the Mavs so much. The Mavs are 2-1 this year vs them, with the only loss being a pretty lucky comeback by the Lakers in a game the Mavs led through 95%.

The Lakers do NOT match up well with the Mavs. That's like saying Golden State could beat the Mavs in the playoffs just because they've won 3 out of the last 4 meetings between the two.

Lakers broadcasters feed their fans these insane lies. I've seen a couple of games on NBA TV from the local LA feed, and they actually believe the Lakers are contenders. Seriously, the broadcasters really believe it.

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Lakers broadcasters feed their fans these insane lies. I've seen a couple of games on NBA TV from the local LA feed, and they actually believe the Lakers are contenders. Seriously, the broadcasters really believe it.
What are you talking about? Lakers have never had homer broadcasters. Stew calls them out all the time.

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 01:54 PM
"Historically", the Lakers used to be good, that's why they beat the Mavs so much. The Mavs are 2-1 this year vs them, with the only loss being a pretty lucky comeback by the Lakers in a game the Mavs led through 95%.
Lucky comeback. :lol

It was a good game. Don't start making up excuses.

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 01:56 PM
The Lakers do NOT match up well with the Mavs. That's like saying Golden State could beat the Mavs in the playoffs just because they've won 3 out of the last 4 meetings between the two.

:wtf Are you comparing Lakers with Golden St? :lol

I don't think the Lakers can beat Dallas in the playoffs, but you'd be stupid to look past them.

adrienne
03-02-2007, 02:34 PM
This game makes me nervous.

That's all.

TheMulvany
03-02-2007, 02:37 PM
What are you talking about? Lakers have never had homer broadcasters. Stew calls them out all the time.

Hahahah, please. I think it was the first week of the season when the Spurs played the Lakers. One of the broadcasters said, and I quote "no one would be surprised if either of these teams won the West."

hahah...trust me, about 20 million people would be VERY surprised if the Lakers won the west.

...but you claim they're not homers?

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Hahahah, please. I think it was the first week of the season when the Spurs played the Lakers. One of the broadcasters said, and I quote "no one would be surprised if either of these teams won the West."

hahah...trust me, about 20 million people would be VERY surprised if the Lakers won the west.

...but you claim they're not homers?
Well I don't remember that. That is a little ridiculous. But that was very early and they are hardly ever homers. The Lakers have never had homer announcers. Stew learned from Chick, the least homer announcer ever. I've heard other broadcasters and they are way more homers. You should listen to them a little more often.

anon101
03-02-2007, 03:47 PM
:wtf Are you comparing Lakers with Golden St? :lol

Ridiculous generally but not when discussing teams that match up well (or at least do well) against Dalls regardless of overall record. Golden State's record against us over the last 5 years considering we've been a 50+ win team and they've been lottery bound for the entire period -- and ironic given that it was Golden State that inherited the 'longest playoff drought' (and still counting) once Dallas finally began its resurgence.

And I would say that Kobe's 5-5 post-Shaq record against Dallas applies as well. I wouldn't call that 'owned' but its definitely a better success record than you would be able to guess from looking at the two teams over-all accomplishements in the same period.

mavsfan1000
03-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Buckner will bother Kobe for sure. Mavs should win this one but if they play like they did against Cleveland than the Lakers would win.

Dirkadirkastan
03-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Local broadcasters should be homerish to a degree, but those Laker guys are pretty ridiculous. The Houston guys are too.

As for the "lucky" win, the main thing I remember was Terry got mauled going in for a layup in the final minute and no foul was called, while at the other end some Laker (I don't remember who now) got free throws for a touch foul. That said, the Mavs rushed the ending. They didn't call a timeout, which resulted in Terry's wild-assed layup attempt. Then they didn't set up a decent play at the end, so with twelve seconds to work with in the final possession, all they could come up with was Devin Harris dribbling around in circles, followed by a desperation three from Devean George.

When you only lose two out of 37 games, the losses stick in memory very well.

Tradition
03-02-2007, 04:09 PM

Golden State doesnt have Phil Jackson the greatest coach of all time...they also dont have a superstar named Kobe Bryant. Also we have young athletic wings to bother dirk along with a front court that could give the Mavs problems inside. You have yet to play the Lakers with ODOM this season! You have played an injured Laker squad 3 times this year. Not having Odom hurts us in alot of ways on both sides of the ball. Also look at how fast this team has turned around since the Shaq trade. People saw this team being in the gutter for quite some time and look at how far Phil and Kobe have brought this team since. There is a reason why the Lakers are the best NBA team in history, it doesnt take them long to rebuild and become elite again. You think I am full of shit? Go look at their history then come back and talk to me!

Medvedenko
03-02-2007, 04:31 PM
I hope the boys pull out the victory...it would definitely help their confidence going into the stretch run. I also like the chances of having Kwame and Luke for both games. It will be a battle, but I only fear Jho on Dallas. We match up well either way.

sandman
03-02-2007, 06:15 PM
If I look at the stats correctly, starting with the 02-03 season when Dallas went to the WCF, their overall record against the Lakers is 7-10. In Los Angeles, the Mavs have a 1-6 record, with the one win coming in the 03-04 season. For the record, the Mavs home record against the Lakers is only 6-4 during this stretch, so regardless of a 2-1 record this season, the Lakers have been a tough win for the Mavs, even with all of their success in the last few years. You can deny it, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Since Shaq left, not so much. Kobe is 5-5 against Dallas without him over the past three seasons.
I think that's pretty good considering how much better Dallas is as a team then the Lakers. And that record also includes a 62 points in 3 quarters game against them. They have yet to find an answer for Kobe.

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 06:30 PM
As for the "lucky" win, the main thing I remember was Terry got mauled going in for a layup in the final minute and no foul was called, while at the other end some Laker (I don't remember who now) got free throws for a touch foul. That said, the Mavs rushed the ending. They didn't call a timeout, which resulted in Terry's wild-assed layup attempt. Then they didn't set up a decent play at the end, so with twelve seconds to work with in the final possession, all they could come up with was Devin Harris dribbling around in circles, followed by a desperation three from Devean George.

When you only lose two out of 37 games, the losses stick in memory very well.
I don't know, but that block looked pretty clean to me. Remember the hand is part of the ball if it's covering it.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/chapo_07/SmushBlock.gif

Dirkadirkastan
03-02-2007, 07:21 PM
...and the wrist is part of the hand and the forearm is part of the wrist and the elbow is part of the forearm...

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 07:23 PM
...and the wrist is part of the hand and the forearm is part of the wrist and the elbow is part of the forearm...
Are you trying to make some type of point?

Dirkadirkastan
03-02-2007, 07:28 PM
He grabbed his wrist, which isn't his hand. They're not the same thing. Sure it was an athletic play. Sure, it was in Los Angeles. Sure, the Lakers were on their way toward a terrific comeback. That said, this play, according to the rule book, is a foul.

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 07:34 PM
^^ It looks like the hand to me. Although it is close. Too close to ask for the call at the end of a game.

ponky
03-02-2007, 07:37 PM
haha, the lakers...yeah, i'm not really worried about them...if we lose, so what? it's one game out of how many? beating the lakers right now, at this point in time, matters like ZERO...if we win, all the better but it's not like anyone is going to catch up with us in terms of seeding so i'm not going to freak out....i only care about the game against the nets so we can break our franchise record, it would be nice to break yet another record without exerting much energy.

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 07:41 PM
haha, the lakers...yeah, i'm not really worried about them...if we lose, so what? it's one game out of how many? beating the lakers right now, at this point in time, matters like ZERO...if we win, all the better but it's not like anyone is going to catch up with us in terms of seeding so i'm not going to freak out....i only care about the game against the nets so we can break our franchise record, it would be nice to break yet another record without exerting much energy.
Yeah honestly this game means very little to you guys. It means a lot more to the Lakers. You guys only need to worry about keeping your players healthy and producing in the playoffs. Anything less than a championship will be a failure.

Dirkadirkastan
03-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Parker's hand slides across Terry's, but the initial contact is at the wrist. One clue is that his forearm is underneath the ball.

BUMP
03-02-2007, 07:44 PM
i have much respect for the Lakers. there's really no denying that they have always had our number at home, i can admit that.

Dirkadirkastan
03-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Although it is close. Too close to ask for the call at the end of a game.

Tell that to Heat fans.

BUMP
03-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah honestly this game means very little to you guys.

but its nice to be able to win in Staples. we had one win a couple of years ago, but it was a complete dogfight and the Lakers werent even in the playoffs that year

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Tell that to Heat fans.
They don't count.

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Parker's hand slides across Terry's, but the initial contact is at the wrist. One clue is that his forearm is underneath the ball.
Way too close to call a foul at the end of the game. We're watching it at slow motion and it's still very close. No way a ref should blow a whistle on that play.

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 07:52 PM
but its nice to be able to win in Staples. we had one win a couple of years ago, but it was a complete dogfight and the Lakers werent even in the playoffs that year
It would be good if you won this game in case we do meet in the playoffs. Not that your team needs the added confidence, but to keep the Lakers from gaining any against them.

BUMP
03-02-2007, 07:54 PM
It would be good if you won this game in case we do meet in the playoffs. Not that your team needs the added confidence, but to keep the Lakers from gaining any against them.

thats what happened when the Suns came to LA last year near the end of the year in a reg. season game. Lakers were 0-7 against them since they acquired Nash, but instead of trying to win the game the Suns rested their players, the Lakers won and gained loads of confidence and were able to drag the eventual playoff series to 7 games

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 08:01 PM
^^ Yeah your teams motto should be to take no prisoners. Don't let any team gain confidence. But I'm sure Avery is on top of that.

ShackO
03-02-2007, 08:06 PM
thats what happened when the Suns came to LA last year near the end of the year in a reg. season game. Lakers were 0-7 against them since they acquired Nash, but instead of trying to win the game the Suns rested their players, the Lakers won and gained loads of confidence and were able to drag the eventual playoff series to 7 games

Actually made for great drama......... & I guess pain for laker fans....... The big build up and painful, slow decline to the point kobe just gives up, pouts and refuses to take a shot....... Now that is sportsmanship..........

I guess his fans were content he didn't cry.............:cry

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Actually made for great drama......... & I guess pain for laker fans....... The big build up and painful, slow decline to the point kobe just gives up, pouts and refuses to take a shot....... Now that is sportsmanship..........

I guess his fans were content he didn't cry.............:cry
It was a little tough. But I did have my Queens/Lakers playoff games on tape to cheer me up.

Findog
03-02-2007, 08:12 PM
If I look at the stats correctly, starting with the 02-03 season when Dallas went to the WCF, their overall record against the Lakers is 7-10. In Los Angeles, the Mavs have a 1-6 record, with the one win coming in the 03-04 season. For the record, the Mavs home record against the Lakers is only 6-4 during this stretch, so regardless of a 2-1 record this season, the Lakers have been a tough win for the Mavs, even with all of their success in the last few years. You can deny it, but it doesn't make it any less true.

since the beginning of the 04-05 season, which was the first year after Kobe and Shaq were broken up, the two teams have tied 5-5. No question the Lakers are always a tough win for the Mavs. We've won two games in LA since the start of the 02-03 WCF campaign. We beat them in LA during the last Nash year, and then we beat them again late during the 04-05 regular season.

ShackO
03-02-2007, 08:35 PM
It was a little tough. But I did have my Queens/Lakers playoff games on tape to cheer me up.

LOL.............. Life is always good living in the past........... Don't wear them out you may be needing to watch them for quite a while.............

You still watch the one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/flatulence-foul/new%20one/lakers.jpg

Purple & Gold
03-02-2007, 09:27 PM
^^ Don't worry the Lakers future is looking bright. As soon as Bynum starts developing into the player I think he will, we should start winning rings again sooner than later.

ShackO
03-02-2007, 09:55 PM
lol............ Good luck............

Bynum..????

Time will tell but honestly if your team was healthy would they be competing against the MavZ.... Suns. Spurs????

Really they are not in the same league right now..........

mqywaaah
03-02-2007, 11:27 PM
This game bothers me. I have a lot of respect for LA and I sure as hell know that the Mavs have been pretty unlucky at the Staples. But, nevertheless I am rooting for my Mavs to win this one. No diss to LA fans. Whoever wins it deserves it fair and square.

Until gameday, Go Mavs!!!

sandeepgm
03-03-2007, 09:51 AM

Ponky why does most of your posts start with ha,ha? Beating LA doesnt really matter that much, since i dont see us meeting you guys in the playoffs this year but that said i expect the mavericks to go all out to win it. I expect it to be a nail biter...

dallaskd
03-03-2007, 10:14 AM
we have to go threw orlando first. :cry

trueD
03-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Stars See Kings Shine
Mike Bibby, Kevin Martin and Ron Artest lead a rout and send L.A.'s celebrity fans home unhappy.
By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 12:30 am PST Saturday, March 3, 2007
http://www.sacbee.com/351/story/132136.html

Pardon them for soaking up the positive vibes. Wins like these don't come along too often.

So after the Kings dismantled the Lakers in their domain 116-108 Friday night, it seemed no one wanted to leave. Kings coach Eric Musselman joked about how there are so many more postgame questions after losses, then volunteered to stick around and share his thoughts even though the questions had stopped.

Ron Artest was in his element in every way, schmoozing with "American Idol" judge Randy Jackson so long that Musselman went looking for him in the Staples Center tunnel because, as he told Artest, "Ron, we've got a game tomorrow."

As for the Lakers? They didn't stick around for long, trailing 10-0 in the opening minutes in what set the trend for the night. Kevin Martin hit an 18-footer, followed by an Artest three-pointer, a Mike Bibby 21-footer and a Martin three to round it out.

It was the quick answer to the recent question of whether the Kings' core could find cohesion all at once, with Artest returning from his one-game absence to fit in as one-third of a dangerous trio.

They combined for 72 points on 22-for-44 shooting, with Bibby scoring a game-high 33 points and hitting 5 of 9 shots from three-point range.

"It was about time we had a chance to get clicking with everybody," Artest said. "We never really clicked like that, and this was against a good team."

It was a Lakers team that had more help than expected, with center Kwame Brown overcoming a right ankle sprain to take part and reserve guard Aaron McKie surprisingly playing after a respiratory infection had his status as questionable.

But they were the reserves who didn't matter nearly as much as the Lakers needed them to, as Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom combined for 56 points, and the role players who were so potent against the Kings in their Jan. 4 overtime loss could not repeat.

David Arquette would have helped if he had a jersey, as the B-list actor watched the Kings put on their A-game courtside and was maddened when Lakers coach Phil Jackson didn't call on Bryant earlier in the fourth quarter.

Bryant didn't play in the final quarter until the 7:27 mark, long after Arquette -- who offered Hollywood flair when he did backspins on the floor during a third-quarter timeout -- was chanting "MVP, MVP" in hopes that Jackson would oblige.

By the time he did, Bryant and the Lakers couldn't capitalize on the Kings' lone dry stretch of the evening. They went 3:09 without scoring midway through the fourth, with the streak broken by two Bibby free throws that put them up 104-94 with 4:04 remaining.

After Odom backed down Artest in the post to cut the lead to eight again, Martin snuck under the basket for an uncontested layup off a Brad Miller pass and a 106-96 lead, and a Bibby three-pointer with 2:30 left all but ended it.

Bibby said he was done for the night long before then, but a heckler courtside inspired him to start shooting again.

"I didn't want to shoot anymore, but a guy on the side was going at me," he said. "He was saying, 'You guys haven't won nothing, haven't been good for so long.' I was done until he started talking."

In the first half, the Lakers were done in by a Kings press that continues to pester opponents.

Using the press often in the first half that the Kings led 65-48, Musselman said the Lakers were 1 of 9 in possessions in which the heat was put on.

"(The press) has been a big factor for us lately, and especially with the second unit when they come in," Musselman said. "I thought it really changed the complexion of the game for us."

trueD
03-03-2007, 12:30 PM
^^^^^^ :lol

Hey, you gotta ham-it-up sometime.

ponky
03-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Ponky why does most of your posts start with ha,ha? Beating LA doesnt really matter that much, since i dont see us meeting you guys in the playoffs this year but that said i expect the mavericks to go all out to win it. I expect it to be a nail biter...

figure it out. (actually, most of my posts DON'T begin with *haha* but in this case it's appropriate usage, don't be so dimwitted)

BUMP
03-07-2007, 01:19 PM
BUMP

damn this game is still about a week away

Fillmoe
03-07-2007, 01:20 PM
KOBE KOBE KOBE KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he gonna rape the mavs like their homecourt was in Colorado!

Fillmoe
03-07-2007, 01:21 PM
he might actually go for 100 this time

ponky
03-07-2007, 01:26 PM
he might actually go for 100 this time

:sleep :sleep :sleep

Dirk Nowitzki
03-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Put this game away as win#17 in a row. If the local celebs are dying to be seen by the camera then you should come to the Staples center anyways. If Celebs or fans are coming to the game thinking the Lakers will win , avoid the traffic and stay home. Dont even bother making the trip unless you want to see the Mavs win. Either study for your classes coming up for the week, party on the beach via spring break, or go out to a movie or something. It is such a shame that we have to wait 5 more days before this win becomes confirmed for the Mavs but so be it. LETS GO MAVS! :clap

Fillmoe
03-07-2007, 04:16 PM
:sleep :sleep :sleep

isnt that what the mavs did in the finals?