PDA

View Full Version : Why don't african americans join the A&M corps?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Something I have noticed after going to several ut-a&m games, and watching many more:

Why don't blacks join the corps? Since its such a huge part of the A&M tradition surely it would make sense that they would be encouraged and motivated to join up with such a prestigious group of faux soldiers?

I don't know?

johngateswhiteley
03-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Something I have noticed after going to several ut-a&m games, and watching many more:

Why don't blacks join the corps? Since its such a huge part of the A&M tradition surely it would make sense that they would be encouraged and motivated to join up with such a prestigious group of faux soldiers?

I don't know?

they do.

SrA Husker
03-01-2007, 11:44 PM
I thought this was an overlook, so I went back and looked at my pictures from the Nebraska victory at Kyle Field this year. Sure enough, you're damn right.

mookie2001
03-01-2007, 11:46 PM
havent seen much down that road

Cant_Be_Faded
03-01-2007, 11:50 PM
I remember watching the UT-A&M game at Kyle Field, buncha chodes holding roses, buncha UT fans being flat out class-less, but one thing this UT fan remembers (even though I was in the nose bleeds) was that during the half time "show" there were no blacks at all marching back and forth with trumpets.

mookie2001
03-01-2007, 11:51 PM
thats the band jaxson

Cant_Be_Faded
03-01-2007, 11:54 PM
so the band dresses up like faux militarymen or texas a&m is a straight up military school and i did not realize it and am a complete dork?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-01-2007, 11:54 PM
im, uh, genius
so get off my penis

sghspurs
03-02-2007, 01:17 AM
wtf? like any other ROTC program they wear a military type uniform, and a lot of them actually serve in the military.

sghspurs
03-02-2007, 01:19 AM
there are some. anyone can join and nobady discourages any race from joining.

Kori Ellis
03-02-2007, 03:15 AM
http://www.aggiecorps.org/home/featured/OdonnaHastings/

http://www.aggiecorps.org/home/featured/EmmanualGuillory/

chode_regulator
03-02-2007, 05:03 AM
im a little :drunk .
are you saying there are alot or not alot of black people in teh corps. bc i dont consider two out of thousands to be alot.

RonMexico
03-02-2007, 08:01 AM
So black people don't like the military? The corps is also a very small percentage of the overall student body at A&M

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I remember watching the UT-A&M game at Kyle Field, buncha chodes holding roses, buncha UT fans being flat out class-less, but one thing this UT fan remembers (even though I was in the nose bleeds) was that during the half time "show" there were no blacks at all marching back and forth with trumpets.

That's the Aggie Band dumbass.

There's actually a fairly decent number of minorities (blacks and hispanics) in the Corps. Can't speak to the band not having any though.

Nice attempt at a racist slam though, CBF. :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
03-02-2007, 09:26 AM
im a little :drunk .
are you saying there are alot or not alot of black people in teh corps. bc i dont consider two out of thousands to be alot.

Umm... there's like 8 people on the feature page and three of them are black. I don't know the percentages of the whole corps. I was just showing you that there's black people.

Extra Stout
03-02-2007, 09:29 AM
A&M doesn't have that many blacks in the first place. It's not exactly a minority-friendly place, not primarily because of racial hostility, though there is plenty of that, but because A&M is so thoroughly dominated by conservative white culture. A black going to A&M would be like a white guy going to Prarie View -- yeah, there's nothing stopping him from going, but it's going to be an unfamiliar environment.

And the Corps is an order of magnitude more intense than the general A&M experience. It is half ROTC program, half redneck fraternity. But sometimes ambition and patriotism cause people to step out of their comfort zone, so yes, you will see minorities in the Corps, though by percentage it is not so much.

RonMexico
03-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Why are so many of the athletes in major sports at UT black?

Seems like racial discrimination to me.

Extra Stout
03-02-2007, 02:08 PM

Because they outperform their white competitors.

IX_Equilibrium
03-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Maybe it's because black people don't want to join?

MajorMike
03-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I there are no African Americans, just like there are no Mexican American, no German Americans, no Korean Americans, no Cuabn Americans, etc.

African American is an offnsive term. They are Americans.

Mr. Body
03-02-2007, 02:55 PM
I there are no African Americans, just like there are no Mexican American, no German Americans, no Korean Americans, no Cuabn Americans, etc.

African American is an offnsive term. They are Americans.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Anyway, the Corps is fairly much a Good Ole Boy network. It might have gotten better lately, but I'd say it's an environment that's not the most comfortable to minorities. Not saying that's anywhere close to universal.

MajorMike
03-02-2007, 03:30 PM
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Anyway, the Corps is fairly much a Good Ole Boy network. It might have gotten better lately, but I'd say it's an environment that's not the most comfortable to minorities. Not saying that's anywhere close to universal.

What country does your ancestors come from?

Doug Collins
03-02-2007, 03:33 PM
There aren't many black people at A&M and since the corp isn't a large population of the total student body, it would make sense that there aren't more than 5 or 6 in that organization. Plus if I was black I would be scared to join said corp.

p.s. I did have 2 black corp members in one of my classes, so they definitely do exist.

BeerIsGood!
03-02-2007, 03:36 PM
A&M doesn't have that many blacks in the first place. It's not exactly a minority-friendly place, not primarily because of racial hostility, though there is plenty of that, but because A&M is so thoroughly dominated by conservative white culture. A black going to A&M would be like a white guy going to Prarie View -- yeah, there's nothing stopping him from going, but it's going to be an unfamiliar environment.

And the Corps is an order of magnitude more intense than the general A&M experience. It is half ROTC program, half redneck fraternity. But sometimes ambition and patriotism cause people to step out of their comfort zone, so yes, you will see minorities in the Corps, though by percentage it is not so much.

From my limited experience with A&M culture - you seem to have hit the nail on the head.

Mr. Body
03-02-2007, 04:12 PM
What country does your ancestors come from?

Germany, Belgium, and Poland.

My wife, however, is African American.

Fun question: what will our kids be labelled?

IX_Equilibrium
03-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Fun question: what will our kids be labelled?

Confused? :dizzy

RonMexico
03-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Because they outperform their white competitors.

I was being sarcastic

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-02-2007, 08:09 PM

I'll have to hunt for the numbers but last year A&M supposedly past UT-Austin in either hispanic or black enrollment figures.

chode_regulator
03-03-2007, 03:06 AM

Seems like racial discrimination to me.
not the same thing at all

anyone can join th e corps not anyone can be a d1 player. also what about baseball? i bet theres not more black players at that.

RonMexico
03-03-2007, 10:50 AM
not the same thing at all

anyone can join th e corps not anyone can be a d1 player. also what about baseball? i bet theres not more black players at that.

again - i was being sarcastic.

they don't call it caucasian station for nothing. however, diversity and minority enrollment have increased at A&M at least in the 5 years since I've been around the school.

again, can't be faded starts with an idiotic topic (making the predominantly-white corps seem like a representation of the school as a whole, and therefore every aggie is racist). i'm someone who doesn't really like a lot of the corps guys because they're simpleminded down-home boys who act like they're already in the military.

besides, the black students at the school are probably a lot smarter than the guys in the corps (and why would they want to put up with that shit of waking up at 6 a.m, running around the school, and all the hazing, etc?). i guarantee you a lot of those white boys had to promise they'd go in the corps just to get into A&M because they weren't that smart to begin with.

Extra Stout
03-03-2007, 11:32 AM
I'll have to hunt for the numbers but last year A&M supposedly past UT-Austin in either hispanic or black enrollment figures.
Don't accuse the University of Texas at Austin of being a paragon for cultural pluralism. They just like to think they are.

And as of 2006, they are ahead of A&M in both Hispanic and black enrollment as a percentage of their freshman admissions, though only by a fraction of a percent in each instance.

chode_regulator
03-03-2007, 06:56 PM
i'm someone who doesn't really like a lot of the corps guys because they're simpleminded down-home boys who act like they're already in the military.
sounds like someone who is not racist and complains about cbf making generalizations is making stereotypes himself :elephant

johngateswhiteley
03-03-2007, 06:59 PM
btw, if anybody really thinks the student body doesn't like the choir or ex-students don't?...they are way off. everybody i know likes them and they kick ass!

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-04-2007, 06:41 PM
btw, if anybody really thinks the student body doesn't like the choir or ex-students don't?...they are way off. everybody i know likes them and they kick ass!

If you love them so damn much I'd think you'd at least know how to spell *Corps*

And by the way, you must be pretty old. A&M students on campus these days like the band, and some of the little boot chasers in the girls dorms like chasing the seniors in the Corps, but by and large most people are indifferent or dislike them.

johngateswhiteley
03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
If you love them so damn much I'd think you'd at least know how to spell *Corps*

And by the way, you must be pretty old. A&M students on campus these days like the band, and some of the little boot chasers in the girls dorms like chasing the seniors in the Corps, but by and large most people are indifferent or dislike them.
i don't know what i was thinking, whoops, the Corps. anyway, i am 26 and you're wrong. people like the Corps...maybe your group of friends don't...but that doesn't mean anything.

leemajors
03-04-2007, 07:26 PM
i don't know what i was thinking, whoops, the Corps. anyway, i am 26 and you're wrong. people like the Corps...maybe your group of friends don't...but that doesn't mean anything.

i'm sure everyone loves frat boys too. chuck, porterhouse, ribeye!

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-04-2007, 07:46 PM

Dude, just give up. It's not about my 'circle of friends.' Hell, one of my good buds WAS in the Corps when he was student.

That said, there's a lot of them that complete pricks and think they are the only ones entitled to say what happens on the campus, and that the opinions of the non-regs don't matter.

And there's enough of them that everyone in probably every class knows one like that.

johngateswhiteley
03-04-2007, 09:27 PM
That said, there's a lot of them that complete pricks and think they are the only ones entitled to say what happens on the campus, and that the opinions of the non-regs don't matter.

And there's enough of them that everyone in probably every class knows one like that.

1. i had a lot of friends in and out of the corps as well, so what

2. there is a jerk in just about any group

3. you sound ridiculous singling out the corps like this, and for no good reasons i might add

4. there is nothing wrong with the corps, and i seriously don't know anyone anywhere that has a problem with them

leemajors
03-04-2007, 10:06 PM

3. you sound ridiculous singling out the corps like this, and for no good reasons i might add

4. there is nothing wrong with the corps, and i seriously don't know anyone anywhere that has a problem with them

outside of them attempting to beat fans like pitiful thugs at the end of games they lose at home. that was a total disgrace.

johngateswhiteley
03-04-2007, 10:15 PM
outside of them attempting to beat fans like pitiful thugs at the end of games they lose at home. that was a total disgrace.

chances are i was at the game(s) you are referring to. i have never seen the corps attack fans without provocation. but the funniest thing i ever saw was back in 1995 when A&M lost 16-6 to t.u.. some t.u. fans ran on the field and some retard with a t.u. flag as well....yep, they got their ass beat, though it was deserved. not that it would be any different in Austin...

leemajors
03-04-2007, 10:17 PM
chances are i was at the game(s) you are referring to. i have never seen the corps attack fans without provocation. but the funniest thing i ever saw was back in 1995 when A&M lost 16-6 to t.u.. some t.u. fans ran on the field and some retard with a t.u. flag as well....yep, they got their ass beat, though it was deserved. not that it would be in different in Austin...

exactly how was it deserved? maybe with a Neanderthal outlook on life.

johngateswhiteley
03-04-2007, 10:25 PM

i understand where you are coming from, but at the same time you don't run onto another schools field...that always, ALWAYS, ends in the opposing team's fans getting their ass beat. this is nothing distinct to A&M, and like i said, the same thing would happen in Austin. in fact, i was in Austin for the game previous to this last one and i personally saw 2 Ags get jumped by a bunch of tea-sips...i have no idea who started it and i don't pretend to know.

my main point is people are jumping on the corps for reasons that are not exclusive to them at all...in fact they are present in almost every club, group, school...whatever. its stupid and ridiculous...

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-04-2007, 10:41 PM

Here's how my sentiments on the Corps came about:

* going to an A&M game at the Alamodome (the beat down by Nebraska), and having some Corps members ask me and some friends to sit down so they could watch the game. We were in the student section. I was actually a senior in HS at the time, but was with some friends that already were going to school there.

So, you have Corps members, who are the 'Keepers of the Spirit', bitching about us all standing up (and keep in mind I wasn't even a student yet :lol). I guess maybe if we were up 20 at that point instead of down 20, they would have had a different view on things. And when I asked one of them why it was the supposed keepers of the spirit were sitting at a football game, one of the guys told me to fuck off. Yep, *class*.

* Some dumbass Corps kid in one of my classes who tried to tell anyone who would listen after one of our road football wins that the reason the FB team won was because it was a Corps trip and the entire Corps was there. Yep, that's what one us the game, your dumb ass in the stands :rolleyes

* Just seeing and hearing different things and comments made/done by Corps members while a student. No one canonizing story, just observations of stupidity/arrogance.

* I was part of group that totally overhauled the student involvement at basketball games. We had the unfortunate problem of working with several Corps block yell leaders whose response to proposed changes was "if you want us to be a basketball school and the student body to look like those of Duke, Carolina, etc.", then go transfer there.

Yeah, nothing arrogant about that one at all...

Look, I'm sorry you obviously disagree with me on this, but I know a shit load of Ags, current and former, who dislike the Corps. Keep in mind all of us have friends that were in the Corps. The Corps isn't ALL bad, but you're kidding yourself if you think they are the greatest thing ever at A&M.

Finally, instead of practicing some of the same narrow minded groupthink that your opinion is the only one that matters as I saw out of a lot of Corps members while a student, why don't you respect that others have different viewpoints than your own?

They aren't saints, quit trying to make them out to be.

Willinsa
03-05-2007, 12:57 AM
Remember that dumbshit aggy corp member who pulled his sword on some SMU guy in the 80's. The Corps remind me of those idiots from Animal House.

johngateswhiteley
03-05-2007, 02:15 AM
Here's how my sentiments on the Corps came about:

* going to an A&M game at the Alamodome (the beat down by Nebraska), and having some Corps members ask me and some friends to sit down so they could watch the game. We were in the student section. I was actually a senior in HS at the time, but was with some friends that already were going to school there.

So, you have Corps members, who are the 'Keepers of the Spirit', bitching about us all standing up (and keep in mind I wasn't even a student yet :lol). I guess maybe if we were up 20 at that point instead of down 20, they would have had a different view on things. And when I asked one of them why it was the supposed keepers of the spirit were sitting at a football game, one of the guys told me to fuck off. Yep, *class*.

* Some dumbass Corps kid in one of my classes who tried to tell anyone who would listen after one of our road football wins that the reason the FB team won was because it was a Corps trip and the entire Corps was there. Yep, that's what one us the game, your dumb ass in the stands :rolleyes

* Just seeing and hearing different things and comments made/done by Corps members while a student. No one canonizing story, just observations of stupidity/arrogance.

* I was part of group that totally overhauled the student involvement at basketball games. We had the unfortunate problem of working with several Corps block yell leaders whose response to proposed changes was "if you want us to be a basketball school and the student body to look like those of Duke, Carolina, etc.", then go transfer there.

Yeah, nothing arrogant about that one at all...

Look, I'm sorry you obviously disagree with me on this, but I know a shit load of Ags, current and former, who dislike the Corps. Keep in mind all of us have friends that were in the Corps. The Corps isn't ALL bad, but you're kidding yourself if you think they are the greatest thing ever at A&M.

Finally, instead of practicing some of the same narrow minded groupthink that your opinion is the only one that matters as I saw out of a lot of Corps members while a student, why don't you respect that others have different viewpoints than your own?

They aren't saints, quit trying to make them out to be.

i don't think they are saints and never said they were, and they are not the greatest thing at A&M. you need to read post #42 in this thread, if you haven't already.

...the corps is a part of what makes A&M great, though, and i might go as far to say that anybody who doesn't think/see that really isn't an Aggie.

leemajors
03-05-2007, 02:20 AM
i don't think they are saints and never said they were, and they are not the greatest thing at A&M. you need to read post #42 in this thread, if you haven't already.

...the corps is a part of what makes A&M great, though, and i might go as far to say that anybody who doesn't think/see that really isn't an Aggie.

them's fightin words?

johngateswhiteley
03-05-2007, 02:41 AM
them's fightin words?

i'd go with accurate.

Doug Collins
03-05-2007, 10:31 AM
chances are i was at the game(s) you are referring to. i have never seen the corps attack fans without provocation. but the funniest thing i ever saw was back in 1995 when A&M lost 16-6 to t.u.. some t.u. fans ran on the field and some retard with a t.u. flag as well....yep, they got their ass beat, though it was deserved. not that it would be any different in Austin...

It was the Nebraska game about 2 years ago when some Husker fans ran onto Kyle Field and a Senior Corp member punched one of them in the face. I was there it was pathetic. I don't have anything against the Corps except for the attitude of many of them that they are better than the "non-regs" which therefore allows them to sleep through class.

Kermit
03-05-2007, 11:12 AM
i'm not exactly one to stick up for the aggies but you never rush an opponents field, especially dead-dog field. they got what they deserved and most aggies would understand that the same beating would happen on dkr if they were ever to rush it. the only black-eye aggy recieved on that day was the alleged sword pulling incident. everything else was warranted.

leemajors
03-05-2007, 12:02 PM
i'm not exactly one to stick up for the aggies but you never rush an opponents field, especially dead-dog field. they got what they deserved and most aggies would understand that the same beating would happen on dkr if they were ever to rush it. the only black-eye aggy recieved on that day was the alleged sword pulling incident. everything else was warranted.

it sure wouldn't happen via a sanctioned rotc group. they should be able to show some restraint, especially if their motto is "forging leaders of character."

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-05-2007, 01:30 PM
the corps is a part of what makes A&M great, though, and i might go as far to say that anybody who doesn't think/see that really isn't an Aggie.

Honestly, A&M would be great if the Corps didn't exist. Maybe not in the school's past, but if you disbanded the Corps of Cadets today, the university would go on and still be a great one.

Extra Stout
03-05-2007, 02:10 PM

You went for what, one year?

Extra Stout
03-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Honestly, A&M would be great if the Corps didn't exist. Maybe not in the school's past, but if you disbanded the Corps of Cadets today, the university would go on and still be a great one.
How about, rather than disbanding the Corps, they make ROTC membership mandatory to be in it? That would weed out the inbred rednecks who just join so they can dress in uniforms, haze others, and sneer through their four remaining teeth about how superior they are because grandpappy was in the Corps back in the '50s.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-05-2007, 06:36 PM

:lol

Wait, whitely, is he right? You don't even have an Aggie Ring and you're lecturing about the Corps? :rolleyes

johngateswhiteley
03-05-2007, 07:04 PM

yes....so what. i've probably spent more time on campus on gone to more games than anybody on this board...actually, more than anyone i know except my Dad.

Doug Collins
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
yes....so what. i've probably spent more time on campus on gone to more games than anybody on this board...actually, more than anyone i know except my Dad.

Doubtful. What does time on campus or number of games attended have anything to do with anything? The Corps and its "Keepers of the Spirit" mentality have led to some big divisions amongst the student body. That's why every year there are about a billion 'Mail Calls' in the Battalion on the subject. I'm not saying they're bad but many students do resent the somewhat negative image that many of the Corps actions have placed on the University as a whole. Those negative aspects (hazing etc.) are the ones that get the most publicity and have overshadowed the positive aspects of the Corps, especially in the eyes of those outside of the university.

johngateswhiteley
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Doubtful. What does time on campus or number of games attended have anything to do with anything?

what? it has everything to do with it. thats what people are referencing...interactions with others on campus and game incidents. and its not doubtful that i have spent more time there...

Doug Collins
03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
what? it has everything to do with it. thats what people are referencing...interactions with others on campus and game incidents. and its not doubtful that i have spent more time there...

If you've spent more time on campus than someone who has attended the university for 4-5 years than ok. But there is something to being on campus practically everyday for that long of a timespan. You do gain some additional insights that someone who just goes to the games on weekends or has attended the university for only a fraction of that time probably wouldn't have.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-05-2007, 08:28 PM

I've gotta call bullshit on that one.

Plus, who gives a shit if you were on campus for a game when you were 12. Other than daddy holding your hand for the Corps march-in, I feel pretty confident in saying you weren't exposed to much of the Corps other than the gameday pageantry.

And that's not what this whole discussion is about.

johngateswhiteley
03-05-2007, 08:32 PM

Plus, who gives a shit if you were on campus for a game when you were 12. Other than daddy holding your hand for the Corps march-in, I feel pretty confident in saying you weren't exposed to much of the Corps other than the gameday pageantry.

actually, i started going to the games when i was 8 and my grandmother lived in Bryan...so i was there all the time. i had older friends in the corps when i was in high school and use to take trips up there to see them and spend the night before i went there my freshman year. after my freshman year i went back often to visit my grandmother, see games, and visit my sister. i didn't have a job from 2003 till i moved up here to Montana...so i was in college station...often. my parents bought my sister a house there during her last two years so it was convenient to go up there for weeks at a time...

Doug Collins
03-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Exactly. The public perception of the Corps (those outside of A&M) has nothing to do with how many games have been attended or how much time was spent on campus. But if you're gonna call yourself more of an expert over people who actually graduated from the university, than that's garbage.

Doug Collins
03-05-2007, 08:36 PM
And there is a difference between being on campus everyday as part of the student body and just being in B/CS a lot.

Doug Collins
03-05-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm done.:)

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
actually, i started going to the games when i was 8 and my grandmother lived in Bryan...so i was there all the time. i had older friends in the corps when i was in high school and use to take trips up there to see them and spend the night before i went there my freshman year. after my freshman year i went back often to visit my grandmother, see games, and visit my sister. i didn't have a job from 2003 till i moved up here to Montana...so i was in college station...often. my parents bought my sister a house there during her last two years so it was convenient to go up there for weeks at a time...

Oh, well hey, I'm sure you experienced the Corps in all its glory at the age of 8 :rolleyes

i had older friends in the corps

So the truth comes out. They probably let you read their Playboys when you were in HS, so you thought the Corps was the greatest shit ever.

it was convenient to go up there for weeks at a time

So, to recap, you weren't interacting with the Corps in say, leadership positions, at leadership camps, in classes, out at bars, parties, etc. So you pretty much have no fucking ground to stand on. Glad we cleared that up.

johngateswhiteley
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
And there is a difference between being on campus everyday as part of the student body and just being in B/CS a lot.

yes and no. what i am saying...is all the time i have spent there, and no i was not holding my dad's hand when i was 12, i have never had or seen one bad experience with the corps. they keep traditions alive and the student body is lucky to still have them. i think you guys are nuts.

furthermore, going to games and spending time at the campus and in the city is extremely relevant...

Oscar DeLa
03-05-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't know what it is but ahf is clearly a better aggy, unless he goes to ucla one day!

johngateswhiteley
03-05-2007, 08:40 PM
So, to recap, you weren't interacting with the Corps in classes, out at bars, parties, etc. So you pretty much have no fucking ground to stand on. Glad we cleared that up.

umm, yeah i was.

Doug Collins
03-05-2007, 08:52 PM
yes and no. what i am saying...is all the time i have spent there, and no i was not holding my dad's hand when i was 12, i have never had or seen one bad experience with the corps. they keep traditions alive and the student body is lucky to still have them. i think you guys are nuts.

furthermore, going to games and spending time at the campus and in the city is extremely relevant...

Since this has now become a dick measuring contest...being a member of the student body for 4+ years is even more relevant. Experiencing the day to day sentiments amongst the student body about the Corps is more relevant. Having to deal with arrogant Corps members who think they can do and say whatever the fuck they want in class is more relevant. I think many aggie grads, like myself, resent the fact that the Corps public perception influences the perception of non-reg aggies. Because the Corps gets in the news about hazing or some other stupid bullshit that image trickles down onto everyone else who has an aggie ring.

johngateswhiteley
03-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Since this has now become a dick measuring contest...being a member of the student body for 4+ years is even more relevant. Experiencing the day to day sentiments amongst the student body about the Corps is more relevant. Having to deal with arrogant Corps members who think they can do and say whatever the fuck they want in class is more relevant. I think many aggie grads, like myself, resent the fact that the Corps public perception influences the perception of non-reg aggies. Because the Corps gets in the news about hazing or some other stupid bullshit that image trickles down onto everyone else who has an aggie ring.

if you don't think i have experienced A&M just as much if i had graduated there...i think you're wrong. that being said, nobody, still, has said anything that is distinct to the corps. this stuff y'all keep posting is prevalent in just about any club or group.

Doug Collins
03-05-2007, 09:12 PM
if you don't think i have experienced A&M just as much if i had graduated there...i think you're wrong. that being said, nobody, still, has said anything that is distinct to the corps. this stuff y'all keep posting is prevalent in just about any club or group.

Except the Corps is by far the most visible organization at A&M and therefore carries with it a large amount of responsibility when it comes to the public perception of the university.

johngateswhiteley
03-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Except the Corps is by far the most visible organization at A&M and therefore carries with it a large amount of responsibility when it comes to the public perception of the university.

true. however, the positives they bring to A&M far outweigh the negative situations that occur. imo, its not even close...

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-05-2007, 10:04 PM

You haven't, and you are.

Distinct to the Corps? Oh, you mean like when the entire student body and all the fans at the Oklahoma State right after 9/11 happened deck out all of Kyle Field in red, white, and blue. Even the OSU fans showing up on gameday bought the appropriate shirt. The only 2000 people in the stadium without red, white, and blue on? The Corps of Cadets.

Is that unique enough?

Or howabout yell leader candidates remarking that they were the only ones worthy of leading the student body because of all the shit they had to go through as fish (give me a fucking break!).

Or again, howabout the tools who thought that A&M won road games because the Corps showed up :rolleyes Yep, non-regs said that kind of stupid shit *all* the time.

Howabout going to leadership conferences and hearing Corps of Cadets leadership there mocking the speakers because "this isn't real leadership, it's bullshit." Yep, the Corps of Cadets are 110% greatness.

And so what if other people in other groups have made some of the same comments? The Corps likes to hold itself to a higher standard and tell everyone it's better, so why shouldn't we 'accommodate' them and hold them to a higher standard?

Eh, why the hell am I bothering anyway? You're as entrenched about this shit as you are about Marisa Miller over on the Club. It's fitting that you defend the Corps to the hilt, your groupthink fits in great with a lot of the shit I saw and heard out of those guys.

leemajors
03-05-2007, 10:19 PM
maybe he's just into spanking. but hey, i lived in germany when i was 5-7 on the army base and i've always been tuned into the german way of thought.

Kermit
03-05-2007, 10:26 PM

Distinct to the Corps? Oh, you mean like when the entire student body and all the fans at the Oklahoma State right after 9/11 happened deck out all of Kyle Field in red, white, and blue. Even the OSU fans showing up on gameday bought the appropriate shirt. The only 2000 people in the stadium without red, white, and blue on? The Corps of Cadets.

Is that unique enough?

Or howabout yell leader candidates remarking that they were the only ones worthy of leading the student body because of all the shit they had to go through as fish (give me a fucking break!).

Or again, howabout the tools who thought that A&M won road games because the Corps showed up :rolleyes Yep, non-regs said that kind of stupid shit *all* the time.

Howabout going to leadership conferences and hearing Corps of Cadets leadership there mocking the speakers because "this isn't real leadership, it's bullshit." Yep, the Corps of Cadets are 110% greatness.

And so what if other people in other groups have made some of the same comments? The Corps likes to hold itself to a higher standard and tell everyone it's better, so why shouldn't we 'accommodate' them and hold them to a higher standard?

Eh, why the hell am I bothering anyway? You're as entrenched about this shit as you are about Marisa Miller over on the Club. It's fitting that you defend the Corps to the hilt, your groupthink fits in great with a lot of the shit I saw and heard out of those guys.

you forgot the nut-grabbing thing they do to show their burning desire to beat you-know-who.

Doug Collins
03-05-2007, 10:28 PM

3 more years!!!

Doug Collins
03-05-2007, 10:31 PM
you forgot the nut-grabbing thing they do to show their burning desire to beat you-know-who.

The list could go on forever. He just cant believe that many in the A&M student body and alumni like myself dislike the Corps. The "Keepers of the Spirit" do more to segregate the student body than any other organization on campus.

Extra Stout
03-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Sure, going to grandma's house, eating cookies, and sucking your thumb gives you an insight into on-campus life that people who actually lived on campus just cannot understand.

I bet since you went to USC for a semester and visited Disneyland once, you are the pre-eminent expert on campus life there too.

Oscar DeLa
03-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Sure, going to grandma's house, eating cookies, and sucking your thumb gives you an insight into on-campus life that people who actually lived on campus just cannot understand.

I bet since you went to USC for a semester and visited Disneyland once, you are the pre-eminent expert on campus life there too.I don't know what it but JGW got ruined!

gtownspur
03-06-2007, 01:07 AM

I bet since you went to USC for a semester and visited Disneyland once, you are the pre-eminent expert on campus life there too.

You only have to be in college for one year to know about campus life. It sucks, everyone else who has social skills gets an apartment after the first year.

Room and Board blow chunks, flight weeks are weak, countless fire alarm drills, free pizza and soda to join a whacko group, and retarded activities from the baptist youth. ANd the pep rally's on friday homecoming games are a waste of time.

johngateswhiteley
03-06-2007, 06:22 AM

Is that unique enough?

you sound like a whiny baby..."waaa the corps said this, waaa the corps said that." geez, give it a rest already. so you didn't like or had disagreements with some of the corps members. so what?...that doesn't really mean anything.

surely you can see how the corps and A&M are intertwined?...how responsible the corps is in what A&M is today and how important it will continue to be in the future.

wait, why do i bother? :rolleyes

johngateswhiteley
03-06-2007, 06:23 AM
You only have to be in college for one year to know about campus life.

no kidding. but they also don't know how involved i have been before and after that...oh well. it doesn't matter.

RonMexico
03-06-2007, 09:16 AM
I hate the Corps

There are too many reasons to list:

Girls: "Yell leaders are sooooo cute!" (Actually, they're ugly, unathletic, ignorant douchebags).

Only thing I enjoy is the band and they're the dorks that get ridiculed in the Corps anyways.

Corps guys don't think they have to be smart - just the fact that they were in the Corps will get them a job.

Oh, and don't get me started on the boot-chasing whores on that campus.

Doug Collins
03-06-2007, 09:21 AM
You only have to be in college for one year to know about campus life. It sucks, everyone else who has social skills gets an apartment after the first year.

Room and Board blow chunks, flight weeks are weak, countless fire alarm drills, free pizza and soda to join a whacko group, and retarded activities from the baptist youth. ANd the pep rally's on friday homecoming games are a waste of time.

We weren't saying you had to live on campus for 4 years. Nobody does that. But attending a university for 4 years and being a part of the student body does lend itself to develop more complex perspectives about on campus issues than someone who just went there for a year and visited on weekends. That was it. JGW had his experiences and that's great, but it's different when you go to class day in and day out and see the issues first hand on a consistent basis. I think the issues many current and former students have with the Corps come from a combination of things that occured throughout their collegiate careers. For him to discredit them when he wasn't even a graduate of the university didn't make sense. He's entitled to his opinion and his past experiences go in line with that opinion. On the other hand, the past experiences of the graduates on this board also lend themselves to the particular opinion that was expressed.

johngateswhiteley
03-06-2007, 09:53 AM
JGW had his experiences and that's great, but it's different when you go to class day in and day out and see the issues first hand on a consistent basis. I think the issues many current and former students have with the Corps come from a combination of things that occured throughout their collegiate careers.

i didn't go to class day in and day out? some of you act like i didn't have class with members of the corps or never spent any time with them at bars or outside of class...that couldn't be further from the truth.

and to say that i went there for a year and then was there on weekends is....not only incorrect but about 10% of the truth.

Doug Collins
03-06-2007, 10:00 AM
i didn't go to class day in and day out? some of you act like i didn't have class with members of the corps or never spent any time with them at bars or outside of class...that couldn't be further from the truth.

and to say that i went there for a year and then was there on weekends is....not only incorrect but about 10% of the truth.

I'm sorry about the generalization. The point I was making was that 4 years of constant on campus experience as a student gives a different perspective than what you experienced. Quit getting so defensive about it.

johngateswhiteley
03-06-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm sorry about the generalization. The point I was making was that 4 years of constant on campus experience as a student gives a different perspective than what you experienced. Quit getting so defensive about it.

it has nothing to do with being defensive. it has to do with:

1. me not fully describing my experiences and time there, though i have no desire to

2. people acting like what i described was a minimal experience, when it clearly was not

Doug Collins
03-06-2007, 10:41 AM
In conclusion, the Corps sucks.

johngateswhiteley
03-06-2007, 10:44 AM

humorous?...yes. incorrect?...yes. but, fair enough.

Doug Collins
03-06-2007, 10:56 AM

I thought it captured the Spirit of non-reg students worldwide fairly accurately...

Extra Stout
03-06-2007, 04:35 PM
I hate the Corps

There are too many reasons to list:

Girls: "Yell leaders are sooooo cute!" (Actually, they're ugly, unathletic, ignorant douchebags).

Only thing I enjoy is the band and they're the dorks that get ridiculed in the Corps anyways.

Corps guys don't think they have to be smart - just the fact that they were in the Corps will get them a job.

Oh, and don't get me started on the boot-chasing whores on that campus.
Well, East Texas isn't all male, and being that A&M students are, after all, college age, you see the brief blossoming of the redneck females in the student body. That in part explains the fawning over the chinless inbreeds in the Corps -- they're pretty, but irrevocably stupid. Believe me, you don't want those girls. In five years, they're going to be Britney Spears without the money.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-06-2007, 07:25 PM
you sound like a whiny baby..."waaa the corps said this, waaa the corps said that." geez, give it a rest already. so you didn't like or had disagreements with some of the corps members. so what?...that doesn't really mean anything.

surely you can see how the corps and A&M are intertwined?...how responsible the corps is in what A&M is today and how important it will continue to be in the future.

Whiny baby? I'm not the one with a 56 page hottie thread shooting down every girl not named Marisa :lol

As to my view not meaning anything... ehhhhhhhh, wrong. It's representative of the non-reg population at A&M. I'm sorry this is lost on you. There's over 43,000 students a year at A&M, and most couldn't give two shits about about the Corps.

Like I said, the Corps gave us a lot of our history and traditions. At the same time, you could disband the Corps tomorrow and the rest of the student body at A&M wouldn't miss a beat in carrying on its traditions.

wait, why do i bother? :rolleyes

That's the same thing we say about your close minded ass.

Fuck, you've even managed to turn me off on Marisa Miller with all your condescending babble in the Club.

Doug Collins
03-06-2007, 07:49 PM
It's true the Corps is 96% douches...honest. All their stupid shit isnt needed anymore. Keep the band and get rid of the rest, that way people all over campus don't have to deal with their yelling in the morning and their sweaty obnoxious asses in class throughout the day.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Did anyone notice how the lone minority was strategically positioned at the forefront of the camera surrounded by caucasians when the camera showed the Core?

ShoogarBear
01-03-2008, 01:46 AM
How did I miss this thread the first time around. :lol

Surely though, you're not going to tell me that Longhorn is boasting about the 3% African-American enrollment at UT, where the 1969 team is still spoken of in hushed tones.

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Did anyone notice how the lone minority was strategically positioned at the forefront of the camera surrounded by caucasians when the camera showed the Core?

...the corps rules.

Kermit
01-03-2008, 10:51 AM
How did I miss this thread the first time around. :lol

Surely though, you're not going to tell me that Longhorn is boasting about the 3% African-American enrollment at UT, where the 1969 team is still spoken of in hushed tones.

We're at 4.2%, but that's still pretty shitty. We've got a lot of Asian-Americans though.

FromWayDowntown
01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm still befuddled by the notion that someone who attended a school for one year could claim to have a greater understanding of the sentiments on campus than those who attended that school for 4 or more years.

It's like me saying that I have some idea about what's going on at Harvard because I had a friend who went to school there and spend some time in Cambridge.

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm still befuddled by the notion that someone who attended a school for one year could claim to have a greater understanding of the sentiments on campus than those who attended that school for 4 or more years.

It's like me saying that I have some idea about what's going on at Harvard because I had a friend who went to school there and spend some time in Cambridge.

actually, its not at all like that.

FromWayDowntown
01-03-2008, 12:43 PM
actually, its not at all like that.

You're right; my example doesn't include my brother having a house in Cambridge while attending Harvard.

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 12:50 PM
You're right; my example doesn't include my brother having a house in Cambridge while attending Harvard.

and?

Extra Stout
01-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Montana has those militias out in the woods, right?

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Montana has those militias out in the woods, right?

Montana was the greatest thing before sliced bread.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
We've got a lot of Asian-Americans though.That reminds me about the old Richard Pryor line about the Arizona State Penitentiary: "90% brothers. And the amazing thing is, there are no black people in Arizona."

Outside of Houston, are there any large Asian populations in Texas?

Ballcox
01-03-2008, 02:01 PM
^You guys have to wake up. Logical arguments with jgw don't work. Just use simple statements that he can maybe understand, like this:

UT-41
usc-38

PWNED :lol

Kermit
01-03-2008, 02:34 PM
That reminds me about the old Richard Pryor line about the Arizona State Penitentiary: "90% brothers. And the amazing thing is, there are no black people in Arizona."

Outside of Houston, are there any large Asian populations in Texas?

No. What's funny is that our Asian-American enrollment at UT rivals the Hispanic enrollment. Not that there are many Hispanic residents in Texas.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Shoog, I think huston-tillotson saps up alot of austin african american college goers, that can easily get into ut if they wanted

midgetonadonkey
01-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I lived in College Station for a year and didn't see one black person. I can understand why. If I was being called wetback on a daily basis I can't imagine what kind of shit the blacks would have to put up with.