PDA

View Full Version : Young agrees to five-year extension with Texas

Burn531
03-02-2007, 01:41 AM
DALLAS -- Shortstop Michael Young has agreed to a contract extension worth about $80 million over five seasons with the Texas Rangers.

"We accomplished a great deal over the past four days," Young said after spring training workouts Thursday in Surprise, Ariz. "This puts me here through the 2013 season and represents a great leap of faith on their part."

Young didn't discuss the finances of the deal, which is for 2009-13. The $80 million figure was disclosed by a person familiar with the negotiations and who spoke on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.

The Rangers were expected to announce the deal Friday, when they play their spring training opener in Surprise.

"There is a strong possibility of that," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said Thursday. "That's all I can say at this point."

Young is a bargain for the Rangers at about $3.5 million this season, the last of a $10 million, four-year contract for the three-time All-Star. The Rangers will pick up a team option for $5 million next season before the extension begins.

By agreeing to an extension, Young will bypass a chance for free agency in 2008.

"I'm sure it's great to see what's out there," Young said. "I did not want to go somewhere else and then see that Texas is in the World Series. We have a great core here and we're all committed. I want to be here and help promote a winner."

The current deal was signed in 2004, the same spring Young switched from second base to shortstop after AL MVP Alex Rodriguez was traded to the New York Yankees. Young has been an All-Star every season since moving back to the position he played in the minor leagues.

Young's extension will be the second-largest contract in Rangers history. The biggest was the $252 million, 10-year deal Rodriguez got in December 2000.

Rangers owner Tom Hicks deferred comment until Friday, but said last week during a visit to spring training that he was "pretty optimistic" about getting a deal done.

"Michael's the kind of guy that I think should be the face of this franchise," Hicks said last week. "He has been and he should be."

Hicks was previously scheduled to be back in Surprise on Friday for the spring opener.

Young has four straight 200-hit seasons, and his 858 hits in that span are second to Ichiro Suzuki's 904. Young hit .373 (166-for-445) with runners in scoring position during that stretch, a mark bettered only by Barry Bonds (.394, 63-for-160).

"You're talking about one of the premier players in the game," Rangers rookie manager Ron Washington said. "If we get this done in the next 24-48 hours, I'm very relaxed."

A .300 career hitter, Young was the AL batting champion in 2005 at .331, and was the All-Star game MVP last summer. Young hit .314 with 52 doubles, 14 homers and 103 RBIs last season.

If Young stays in Texas the length of the extension, he will be 36 at the end of the 2013 regular season. He played a full 162-game season for the first time in 2006, but took only 13 games off the four seasons before that.

"I have been durable for the past years, and I think they recognized that," Young said. "There's no doubt I can be healthy and productive over the course of the contract."

The Rangers last made the playoffs in 1999. They have had only one winning season since and haven't finished above third place in the AL West, but this winter hired Washington, the longtime Oakland assistant, to replace Buck Showalter.

"This team is ready to start winning," Young said.

Texas acquired Young from Toronto midway through the 2000 season, when he was a minor league second baseman and the second player the Rangers got behind pitcher Darwin Cubillan when they traded right-hander Esteban Loaiza.

Young made his major league debut by playing in two games for the Rangers at the end of 2000. He has been a regular in the lineup since he was recalled in late May 2001 and started 104 games at second base.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2784537

Horry For 3!
03-02-2007, 02:00 AM
Damnnnn, that is a lot of $$$$$$. But, Young is solid though. Top 3 SS in the MLB.

K-State Spur
03-02-2007, 03:05 AM
Good lord, that is a lot of money for a guy who has only posted one .840+ OPS season in his career and is coming off an .815 OPS season.

I wouldn't put him as a top 3 SS. Jeter, Tejada, & Reyes are all better at this point, as is Carlos Guillen when he plays there. Young is fringe top 5 though.

MajorMike
03-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Jeter is hella overrated. Put him on the O's or Rangers and see if his numbers are the same without 7 all stars in the lineup around him. Wouldn't even be close.

K-State Spur
03-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Jeter is hella overrated. Put him on the O's or Rangers and see if his numbers are the same without 7 all stars in the lineup around him. Wouldn't even be close.

He is very overrated, but that doesn't mean that he's still not pretty good. Line-up protection is also an overrated facet. Anyways, Jeter has only posted 2 years in his entire career worse than Young's average season.

MajorMike
03-02-2007, 01:19 PM
You think Young wouldn't be a yearly MVP candidate hitting in the yankers lineup?

K-State Spur
03-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Honestly, no I don't think he would.

First, most statisticians believe that line-up protection has a minimal impact on a player's stats (i.e. Barry Bonds has posted some of the best statistical seasons in history with one of the worst supporting line-ups in baseball around him). And it's not like he had little leaguers around him in the order anyways. Gary Mathews Jr. was having a great year, Texeira is one of the most feared bats in the game, and they even had Carlos Lee for half a year.

Second, Young is coming off a year with an .815 OPS. That's solid for a SS, but only slightly better than average overall. To put it into perspective, over the past 5 years, Jeter's worst offensive year is the equivalent of Young's average season over that span. Jeter's second worst offensive season in that period is almost as good as Young's second best.

Now, if you really want me going off on Jeter being overrated, let's talk about the ridiculous gold gloves he has won, despite being an average fielder with below-average range.

Personally, if I'm a GM going into the 2007 season, I'll take Tejada & Reyes over either one of them.

Melmart1
03-02-2007, 02:27 PM
How is this too much money when scrubs like Gil Meche are signing for big money in FA? This is the best signing of the Tom Hicks era. I am elated that it happened and look forward to MY being a Ranger for life.

T Park
03-02-2007, 06:41 PM
How old is Younger, like 29 30?

Lots of years for a guy his age....

NorCal510
03-02-2007, 10:40 PM
How old is Younger, like 29 30?

Lots of years for a guy his age....
hes 33

dallaskd
03-03-2007, 10:41 AM
One of the best in the game. Good job. Teixiera is probably walking after 2008 and if young had left they would have lost their best 2 players. Expect Torii Hunter to be a Ranger in 2008

Horry For 3!
03-03-2007, 03:01 PM
hes 33
You suck at math.

He is 30, will be 31 in Oct.

K-State Spur
03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
One of the best in the game. Good job. Teixiera is probably walking after 2008 and if young had left they would have lost their best 2 players. Expect Torii Hunter to be a Ranger in 2008

Interesting predictions.

Texeira will probably come down to the Yankees, Orioles, and Braves. He's said on many occasions that he would like to play near his family. His home is Baltimore, his wife's home is Atlanta. And after a relatively quiet offseason this year, Steinbrenner will probably be ready to spend everybody back into oblivion next year.

Hunter's got a chance to surpass Soriano as the the most overpaid player in baseball this time next year. He'll get a huge deal because he is a big name. But his offensive numbers are only slightly better than average and declining. And contrary to what they will tell you on Sportscenter, he is no longer an elite defensive player. In fact, he's fallen to relatively average out there.

dallaskd
03-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Interesting predictions.

Texeira will probably come down to the Yankees, Orioles, and Braves. He's said on many occasions that he would like to play near his family. His home is Baltimore, his wife's home is Atlanta. And after a relatively quiet offseason this year, Steinbrenner will probably be ready to spend everybody back into oblivion next year.

Hunter's got a chance to surpass Soriano as the the most overpaid player in baseball this time next year. He'll get a huge deal because he is a big name. But his offensive numbers are only slightly better than average and declining. And contrary to what they will tell you on Sportscenter, he is no longer an elite defensive player. In fact, he's fallen to relatively average out there.

Im almost certain Tex will walk, Hunter is from Arlington and he has said hes always wanted to play for Ron Washington and the Rangers. We also need to lock up Kinsler and Laird before they could get the chance to walk.

K-State Spur
03-03-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm a little surprised the Rangers haven't been trying real hard to move Blalock.

He's been below-average the past 2 years and his home/road splits have been pretty bad even when he was having good years overall. I'd think they might try to push him on a GM while he still has some value based on reputation alone.

Of course, he is only 26 and maybe they are hoping he will bounce back as he enters his prime years and makes me look like a complete moron for even saying such a thing.

Burn531
03-03-2007, 10:28 PM
There was talk in Detroit during the off season about trading for Texeira. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers made a run at him next year especially since Sean Casey only signed a 1 year deal.

dallasmavsnfuego214
03-27-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm a little surprised the Rangers haven't been trying real hard to move Blalock.

last year they tried to trade him for Tejada in the middle of the year, but Tejada would have to play third base and i guess he declined.

Melmart1
03-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Ron Washington has said that Hank is his project this year, that he is going to turn him into the 3rd baseman everyone thought he would be. So far, he has made him improve his defense in ST, let's see if that translates into the regular season.

As long as Washington has faith in him, I don't think he is going anywhere. If Buck were still around, I think he probablly would have been traded or at least shopped, though.

K-State Spur
03-29-2007, 12:44 AM
last year they tried to trade him for Tejada in the middle of the year, but Tejada would have to play third base and i guess he declined.

I don't know what rumor you are referring to, but the only player on the Rangers that the Birds would move Tejada for is Tex.

Now, there was a rumor that may or may not have had legs about the Orioles moving Tejada for Oswalt + Ensberg, then flipping Oswalt to the Rangers for 8 out of their top 10 prospects (slight exaggeration).