PDA

View Full Version : Petur Gudmundsson

Fabbs
03-02-2007, 02:33 AM
7'2" 260 Icelander

1987-88 69 games 4.7 boards in 14.7 minutes. Can we bring him back for rebounding and D? :blah

88-89 only 5 games

What was the deal with this guy you old schoolers?

Das Texan
03-02-2007, 09:54 AM
wow. there is a name i havent heard in years.

The Truth #6
03-02-2007, 10:03 AM
He was tall and skinny and not very good. He had a mechanical hook shot if I remember.

Solid D
03-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Petur Gudmundsson was a part of a chain reaction trade that ultimately helped to usher-in David Robinson....sort of.

The Spurs traded Mychal Thompson to the Lakers in 1987, in a trade that basically made opposing GMs angry with the Spurs because Thompson would become a key ingredient to another Lakers Championship. Thompson was traded to the Lakers in 1987 for Gudmundsson, Frank Brickowski, a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick. The 1st round pick became Cadillac Anderson and the 2nd round selection became Sean Higgins.

The Spurs went from bad to worse and the Spurs ended up winning the lottery with David Robinson. "Brick" became the Admiral's backup and Cadillac was traded with Alvin Robertson to Milwaukee for Terry Cummings. Gudmundsson played okay but he was basically a tall, non-factor bench guy from Iceland. Petur got injured during the time Robinson was fulfilling his 2-years of military duty and never did much after that.

Larry Brown didn't keep Petur around, he was waived a couple of months before the Cummings trade, and the rest is history.

Taco
03-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Tall and Goofy

twincam
03-02-2007, 01:06 PM
OMG! I remember him....that guy flat out sucked! Remember Kurt Nimphius, and Ed Nealy?
OMG! We had some sorry ass players...but Walter Barry wasn't bad at all.
Remember the secret weapon by the name of Lloyd Daniels? BAhahahahaha....that guy was the biggest disappointment ever.
Hmmmm...let's see....I recall Jon Sundvold, he was ok....Alvin Robertson, still my favorite Spur.

degenerate_gambler
03-02-2007, 01:18 PM
This is from a former beat writer for the Spurs during one of their shit years. Some pretty funny recollections by him.

http://blogs.chron.com/lopezblog/archives/2005/05/inbreeding_on_u.html

twincam
03-02-2007, 01:28 PM
This is from a former beat writer for the Spurs during one of their shit years. Some pretty funny recollections by him.

http://blogs.chron.com/lopezblog/archives/2005/05/inbreeding_on_u.html

Wow....I forgot about that Dallas Comegy guy. Where did they find these guys? Vernon Maxwell was a total loser to begin with. I recall the Spurs practically giving him to the Houston Rockets for a mere $50,000 or so. Not much money at all in NBA terms. Vernon took it peronally.

Mitch Cumsteen
03-02-2007, 03:50 PM
The Reykjavik Rejector. Last time I saw him he was working security at the All-Star game.

cherylsteele
03-02-2007, 05:42 PM
I remember one critic comparing Gudmundsson's speed and quickness to an arctic glacier.

He makes Rasho look like a real HOF'er.

samikeyp
03-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Ahh the three headed Center monster of Gudmundsson, Mike Smrek and Brickowski.

Damn those days sucked! :lol

Oh and FUCK Mychal Thompson.

ThomasGranger
03-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I remember the Bruise Brothers . . . the Spurs could use a guy like Brick these days.

Solid D
03-02-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure if you are saying Brick was a Bruise Brother (he wasn't) but the Spurs could certainly user a bruiser.

ThomasGranger
03-02-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure if you are saying Brick was a Bruise Brother (he wasn't) but the Spurs could certainly user a bruiser.

My bad. Not sure what I was thinking since Brick was post-Bruise Brothers era.

Das Texan
03-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Ahh the three headed Center monster of Gudmundsson, Mike Smrek and Brickowski.

Damn those days sucked! :lol

Oh and FUCK Mychal Thompson.

what are you talking about?

those were golden days.

ironically enough, thats when i first started watch the spurs.