PDA

View Full Version : Voting machine error changes election

Bandit2981
11-16-2004, 11:48 AM
link (http://www.7onyourside.com/Global/story.asp?S=2558518&nav=7CPDT4VX)

A recently found computer glitch in the voting machines in Franklin County, Indiana has given a democrat enough votes to bump a republican from victory in a County Commissioner's race.

The glitch in the machines recorded straight Democratic Party votes for Libertarians.

The votes were re-counted last night, by hand.

The company who made the voting machine(Diebold...hmmm) is also checking into programming of it's equipment in nine other Indiana counties.

Hook Dem
11-16-2004, 11:50 AM
County Commissioners race in Indiana? Now thats exciting!

Useruser666
11-16-2004, 11:59 AM
In other news: Diebold machines found to have thrown another key election. San Antonio dog catcher #5 was won by a Republican on miscast votes with a diebold voting machine. The Democratic dog gatcher candidate should have taken the election by a landslide of 2 votes to 1 with 100% reporting.

Hook Dem
11-16-2004, 12:00 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Bandit2981
11-16-2004, 12:01 PM
i told ya'll to watch out for Diebold

exstatic
11-16-2004, 12:49 PM
The glitch in the machines recorded straight Democratic Party votes for Libertarians.

No one thinks this is at all significant? I think Dan is over the top, but they have just proved vote fraud on straight ticket Democratic votes. All of the votes (not just dogcatcher) were being shunted to a third party (smart, BTW), which could be enough to tip a close election.

Spurminator
11-16-2004, 12:52 PM
It recorded straight ticket votes for all Libertarians, or just the one running for Cty Commissioner?

travis2
11-16-2004, 12:54 PM
...but they have just proved vote fraud...

Ummmmm...no, that is not proof of vote fraud. That is one possible explanation. There are others of equal logical certainty.

exstatic
11-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Spurm - Straight ticket is the entire ballot, not just one office.

A recently found computer glitch in the voting machines in Franklin County, Indiana has given a democrat enough votes to bump a republican from victory in a County Commissioner's race.

The votes were re-counted last night, by hand.

The company who made the voting machine is also checking into programming of it's equipment in nine other Indiana counties.

Notice the line in bold. Also notice the use of plurals in that line.

Drachen
11-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Ummmmm...no, that is not proof of vote fraud. That is one possible explanation. There are others of equal logical certainty.

I have to agree that the verbage that was used was not correct, but the wording used is a non-factor here, the fact that this happend is indeed unnerving, and lends some substance to some of the conspiracy theories. Now realize what I put in bold, what I am saying is that althogh the theories as a whole may be misdirected (read: wrong) that parts of them are correct. Now if this glitch has done any major damage remains to be seen.

Spurminator
11-16-2004, 01:10 PM
I know what a straight ticket is, but I didn't know if it meant all votes went to the Lib. The plural does seem to indicate that, however.

exstatic
11-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Didn't the GOP supporting CEO of Diebold promise to "deliver" votes? It was smart to shunt them to a third party.

Useruser666
11-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Um, "all the votes" meaning all the votes in this single race. It's not like this happened everywhere. Here's my CONSPIRACY, the democrates had these few machines lose a few votes here and there to garner more people to vote demo in the next election. They want to be the underdog. "Come on and vote people, we have to get more votes to win against these cheating republicans!"

By the way, that is a conspiracy theory.

Spurminator
11-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Well, either way, hopefully stories like these will help improve the process in future elections.