PDA

View Full Version : Spurs - For Real Or Not?

SpursDynasty
03-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Is anyone convinced yet that the Spurs have turned around their season? Who thinks tomorrow night's Houston game will be the real indicator?

Will the Spurs will beat Houston tomorrow? I get the feeling that most here don't think the Spurs can win against Houston.

Spurs are 5-0 since the All-Star break and are now in their best regular season month of the year usually, March. Looks good to me.

aaronstampler
03-03-2007, 12:41 AM
If Houston wasn't playing at Denver tonight and was resting instead I'd be less confident, but because their schedule is what it is and because we're probably going to land in Houston before they do, I like our chances a lot.

(And it helps that the big Chinese feller is out.)

dbreiden83080
03-03-2007, 12:41 AM
Is anyone convinced yet that the Spurs have turned around their season? Who thinks tomorrow night's Houston game will be the real indicator?

Will the Spurs will beat Houston tomorrow? I get the feeling that most here don't think the Spurs can win against Houston.

Spurs are 5-0 since the All-Star break and are now in their best regular season month of the year usually, March. Looks good to me.

No back to backs to me are much of an indicator. I do think they are back for real especially with Manu kicking ass like this.

CubanMustGo
03-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Spurs should have a good shot, they didn't have to work too hard tonight and have been playing the back ends of back-to-backs much better this year.

I just want to know who the asshole is at the league office who gave the Spurs four days between home games and then stuck them with two B2Bs in five days, with travel between all four games.

SRJ
03-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Absolutely. They've been a top 5 team in winning percentage all year, they've been #1 in point differential most of the season, their defense has steadily improved all year long, and it appears that they are playing their best basketball right now.

Subjectively speaking, only the Dallas Mavericks have a better chance to win the championship than the Spurs do. But the Spurs would have a very good chance to win a series from Dallas - a better chance than any other squad.

Jimcs50
03-03-2007, 12:47 AM
We are 40-18

Last year we had 60 wins before we had 18 losses. Dallas beat us then, they are much better this year, so IMO, we have no shot to beat them now.

So no, we are not for real.

dbreiden83080
03-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Absolutely. They've been a top 5 team in winning percentage all year, they've been #1 in point differential most of the season, their defense has steadily improved all year long, and it appears that they are playing their best basketball right now.

Subjectively speaking, only the Dallas Mavericks have a better chance to win the championship than the Spurs do. But the Spurs would have a very good chance to win a series from Dallas - a better chance than any other squad.

Spurs are so battle tested and to me Manu is the key to that series. You know he feels like shit over that foul in game 7 last year and his postseason overall was not good. If we get to play Dallas Manu will be really determined to make amends for that and he could be the difference.

dbreiden83080
03-03-2007, 12:50 AM
We are 40-19

Last year we had 60 wins before we had 19 losses. Dallas beat us then, they are much better this year, so IMO, we have no shot to beat them now.

They have 18 losses and what is up with all this Reg season crap you are talking about. Ask the 64 win Pistons a squad that won a title together, what the Reg season buys you.

romad_20
03-03-2007, 12:52 AM
We are 40-19

Last year we had 60 wins before we had 19 losses. Dallas beat us then, they are much better this year, so IMO, we have no shot to beat them now.

Timmy had an injury last year and looks better this year. Tony's mid range is also better and it came down to 1 foul in game 7, so at worst I think it'll be about the same. Have some faith in your team. :smokin

SRJ
03-03-2007, 12:55 AM
They have 18 losses and what is up with all this Reg season crap you are talking about. Ask the 64 win Pistons a squad that won a title together, what the Reg season buys you.

I agree with you that the Spurs are for real, but please understand that during the Duncan era the Spurs have consistently excelled during the regular season. The regular season does mean a lot.

Of the 60 NBA champions, 51 of them finished with the best, second best, or third best record. Not a coincidence.

RC's Boss
03-03-2007, 12:56 AM
We are 40-19

OKAAAAY, so regular season wins dictate who's better when the playoffs start? Ahh never mind :madrun

dbreiden83080
03-03-2007, 01:01 AM
I agree with you that the Spurs are for real, but please understand that during the Duncan era the Spurs have consistently excelled during the regular season. The regular season does mean a lot.

Of the 60 NBA champions, 51 of them finished with the best, second best, or third best record. Not a coincidence.

I understand that but the Spurs are on pace for about 57 wins right now that is an excellent Reg Season just looks like shit right now next to what Dallas is doing.

jman3000
03-03-2007, 01:05 AM
we had that uber shitty stretch of spurs basketball were we lost to some crappy teams and played severely lacking defense a month or two ago... i'm willing to forgive them for that and look at them as a better team then their already decently impressive record would suggest.

samikeyp
03-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Who thinks tomorrow night's Houston game will be the real indicator?

I posted that about a week ago...I agree totally...if they can beat Houston....in Houston on the back end of a back to back....I will be impressed.

boutons_
03-03-2007, 01:16 AM
"Houston on the back end of a back to back"

Houston will be also on b2b and travelling Den - Hou vs Spurs SA - Hou.
Tough for both teams.

dbreiden83080
03-03-2007, 01:17 AM
we had that uber shitty stretch of spurs basketball were we lost to some crappy teams and played severely lacking defense a month or two ago... i'm willing to forgive them for that and look at them as a better team then their already decently impressive record would suggest.

It is also a product of the hugely high standards set by the Spurs in the Duncan ERA. They have 24 games to go and are 40-18. A million teams would die to be in that position.

K-State Spur
03-03-2007, 01:18 AM

Depends on what sense? Has it been turned around to the point that Phoenix and Dallas should be worried - who knows?

But clearly the Spurs are playing their best basketball of the year. And especially they are playing their best defense of the year, which if it keeps up, makes them a threat to anybody.

Another reason for optimism is that the team is over 5.5 boards better than the opponents over this streak.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-03-2007, 01:23 AM
you guys need to get a hold of yourselves

we haven't beaten ANYBODY

the detroit win was great, I agree, but for me, its the games vs. utah, phoenix, and especially dallas that I'm concerned. We could win 16 straight against .500 teams only to lose in 5 in a playoff series to a top 3 team.

I'm very happy with manu's play, and the team's ability to crush their opponents as oppose to giving up the big leads, but we haven't achieved anything yet.

The houston game will be a nice indicator (although Yao is out) but wake me up when we play Phoenix and Dallas (though by the time the Dallas game comes around it could be a meaningless one as the standings could be etched in stone by then)

T Park
03-03-2007, 01:25 AM
We are 40-19

40-18 smart guy.

Yeah that great regular season and they lost.

So regular season means jack shit.

So youve made zero point.

K-State Spur
03-03-2007, 01:25 AM

the detroit win was great, I agree, but for me, its the games vs. utah, phoenix, and especially dallas that I'm concerned. We could win 16 straight against .500 teams only to lose in 5 in a playoff series to a top 3 team.

I'm very happy with manu's play, and the team's ability to crush their opponents as oppose to giving up the big leads, but we haven't achieved anything yet.

The houston game will be a nice indicator (although Yao is out) but wake me up when we play Phoenix and Dallas (though by the time the Dallas game comes around it could be a meaningless one as the standings could be etched in stone by then)

That's if the only thing you are focusing on is the W/L at the end of the day. But if you are actually watching the team play these games, they are doing a lot of things better than they have in a very long time. That doesn't mean we're gonna beat Dallas, but it is reason to get a little more excited than we were a couple weeks ago.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-03-2007, 01:32 AM
That's if the only thing you are focusing on is the W/L at the end of the day. But if you are actually watching the team play these games, they are doing a lot of things better than they have in a very long time. That doesn't mean we're gonna beat Dallas, but it is reason to get a little more excited than we were a couple weeks ago.

oh i don't doubt the spurs are playing better. i also don't care if we go 62-20 to end the season. to me, the biggest indicator is how we fare against the elite teams of the league. I enjoyed the beat down on the hawks as much as anyone else, but if we make all of this progress only to get our asses kicked by Dallas in the playoffs then it was all for nothing at the end of the day.

So should we be happy with the way the team is playing? Yes

Are the Spurs back on top, on par or above dallas or phoenix? No

but I'll be more concerned with the answer to that last question come April than I am now

dbreiden83080
03-03-2007, 01:34 AM
oh i don't doubt the spurs are playing better. i also don't care if we go 62-20 to end the season. to me, the biggest indicator is how we fare against the elite teams of the league. I enjoyed the beat down on the hawks as much as anyone else, but if we make all of this progress only to get our asses kicked by Dallas in the playoffs then it was all for nothing at the end of the day.

So should we be happy with the way the team is playing? Yes

Are the Spurs back on top, on par or above dallas or phoenix? No

but I'll be more concerned with the answer to that last question come April than I am now

I am not worried about the Suns the Mav's yes they are great but the Suns are a fucking soft ass team that is intimidated by the Spurs title experience and tough D.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-03-2007, 01:35 AM
haha, to be honest i do think we could take the suns in a 7 game series

so i agree, it is the mavs i'm more concerned with

SpursDynasty
03-03-2007, 01:41 AM

If you look at Phoenix and Dallas' streaks this season, they have been against easy teams as well.

But then again, anyone outside of Dallas, Phoenix, SA, Utah are pretty beatable. LA and Houston fell off that list recently, they have been losing.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-03-2007, 01:43 AM
If you look at Phoenix and Dallas' streaks this season, they have been against easy teams as well.

But then again, anyone outside of Dallas, Phoenix, SA, Utah are pretty beatable. LA and Houston fell off that list recently, they have been losing.

true, but look at dallas's record against +.500 teams and look at ours

you can tell that at least dallas is playing at a whole other gear

SpursDynasty
03-03-2007, 01:47 AM
And plus, I don't know why you guys put Phoenix up so high...Look at this:

Lost 106-114 to Lakers, Lost 104-108 to Utah, Lost 106-111 to San Antonio, Lost 112-119 to Dallas, Lost 117-120 to Utah, Lost 99-101 to Dallas, Lost 105-108 to Utah.

They won vs San Antonio once. So that makes them 1-7 vs Dallas, SA, Utah, and Lakers.

Spurs haven't done all that great vs Dallas, Phoenix, Utah, and LA, but have a better winning percentage vs those than Phoenix does.

Dallas and Spurs are still the best two teams in the NBA. Phoenix is only 4 1/2 games ahead of SA, with their schedule being tougher, while SA's is getting easier. Don't be surprised if SA finishes ahead of Phoenix.

Roxsfan
03-03-2007, 01:50 AM
If Houston wasn't playing at Denver tonight and was resting instead I'd be less confident, but because their schedule is what it is and because we're probably going to land in Houston before they do, I like our chances a lot.

(And it helps that the big Chinese feller is out.)

He may play a few minutes on saturday. :elephant

10% chance is my guess, but friday's medical eval. will decide.

Spurs are for real and it will be a tough game for the roxs.

aaronstampler
03-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Spurs are so battle tested and to me Manu is the key to that series. You know he feels like shit over that foul in game 7 last year and his postseason overall was not good. If we get to play Dallas Manu will be really determined to make amends for that and he could be the difference.

Really? Maybe you should check the box scores again. Manu averaged 21 a game against Dallas in only 13 shots. He led the team in +/- for both the Sacramento and Dallas series. I really don't think he was the problem. All you remember is one play and say "his postseason wasn't good."

dbreiden83080
03-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Really? Maybe you should check the box scores again. Manu averaged 21 a game against Dallas in only 13 shots. He led the team in +/- for both the Sacramento and Dallas series. I really don't think he was the problem. All you remember is one play and say "his postseason wasn't good."

Manu sucked against the Kings last year in the playoffs he was more about crucial TO than big time playmaking and you know it. He played pretty well against the Mavs by the numbers but Timmy's dominance is the main reason the Spurs pushed that to 7 games, Manu had very little to do with it. His dumb ass decision making down the stretch killed the Spurs in the playoffs last year.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-03-2007, 02:39 AM
if it wasn't for manu, we woulda lost game 7 by 20 in regulation

dbreiden83080
03-03-2007, 02:49 AM
if it wasn't for manu, we woulda lost game 7 by 20 in regulation

If not for Timmy game 7 never would have taken place. I also seem to remember a 40 plus pt game out of him in game 7.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-03-2007, 02:56 AM
Manu sucked against the Kings last year in the playoffs he was more about crucial TO than big time playmaking and you know it. He played pretty well against the Mavs by the numbers but Timmy's dominance is the main reason the Spurs pushed that to 7 games, Manu had very little to do with it. His dumb ass decision making down the stretch killed the Spurs in the playoffs last year.
Wrong. he won games in our favor in games 1, 5, and 6. By KEY PLAYS. His D against Stackhouse's three with few seconds left. His key steals in game 5. Otherwise, it was a toss up who knows if we would have gotten swept. Tim and Dirk canceled each other out.
All the games excluding games 2 and 7 were dependent on who made the least mistakes. And decided within 5 points. Manu was the X-factor in the Spurs being on top. With his crunch time plays.

Manu had a LOT to do with the Series going 7 games, despite how awful his mental game was. If anything he was trying too hard not to lose. And we got the bad end. For every 3 key plays, he had to commit his patented TO in game 7 instead of game 1! :pctoss

dbreiden83080
03-03-2007, 03:02 AM
Wrong. he won games in our favor in games 1, 5, and 6. By KEY PLAYS. His D against Stackhouse's three with few seconds left. His key steals. Otherwise, it was a toss up. Tim and Dirk canceled each other out.
All the games excluding games 2 and 7 were dependent on who made the least mistakes.

Manu had a LOT to do with the Series going 7 games, despite how awful his mental game was.

Manu was not at his best in the playoffs last year and he took a lot of flack, lets not act like i am the only one saying it. I love the guy but we got the best of Manu in the 05 playoffs and there is no doubt Spurs do not win the title if he does not play like he did. However last year you got the flip side of the coin. He did not make the right decisions when it mattered most and it hurt the Spurs in big spots. My main point was i think he is going to turn it around and be awesome in the playoffs this year.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-03-2007, 03:04 AM
Manu was not at his best in the playoffs last year and he took a lot of flack, lets not act like i am the only one saying it. I love the guy but we got the best of Manu in the 05 playoffs and there is no doubt Spurs do not win the title if he does not play like he did. However last year you got the flip side of the coin. He did not make the right decisions when it mattered most and it hurt the Spurs in big spots. My main point was i think he is going to turn it around and be awesome in the playoffs this year.
Ah ok, gotcha.

Yeah Manu does mention his confidence a lot. Last year he showed he was still human.

remingtonbo2001
03-03-2007, 03:06 AM
I'll take a re-juvinated manu this year. I will admit that last year he looked worn out. Probabily from the Super-Manu Tour~ala~2005 Championship.

dbreiden83080
03-03-2007, 03:07 AM
I'll take a re-juvinated manu this year. I will admit that last year he looked worn out. Probabily from the Super-Manu Tour~ala~2005 Championship.

Agreed Manu is owning the 2nd half so far i think he will own the postseason as well he is motivated to do so BIG TIME.

aaronstampler
03-03-2007, 04:07 AM
There wouldn't have been a Game 7 if not for Manu in Game 6 genius. He pretty much saved the team when Tony played like total ass.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2007, 04:08 AM
There wouldn't have been a Game 7 if not for Manu in Game 6 genius. He pretty much saved the team when Tony played like total ass.

How come when Tony is injured he "played like total ass" and when Manu is injured it's because he plays so hard. :lol

Give Tony a break, he was barely walking in Mavs series and averaged 20 ppg.

aaronstampler
03-03-2007, 04:08 AM

He sucked? Go look up the box scores for games 2 and 5. Games 1 and 4 were blowouts so his stats didn't matter. The only games he played poorly were 3 and 4.

aaronstampler
03-03-2007, 04:09 AM
How come when Tony is injured he "played like total ass" and when Manu is injured it's because he plays so hard. :lol

Give Tony a break, he was barely walking in Mavs series and averaged 20 ppg.

We're not gonna beat them if our starting pg has a 1:1 A/TO ratio this year Kori.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2007, 04:13 AM
We're not gonna beat them if our starting pg has a 1:1 A/TO ratio this year Kori.

So you want to just ignore he was injured?

Cool.

He was told to shoot 20-25 times in the playoffs last year by Pop. If you have a problem with him not passing enough, take it up with the coach. He carried the Spurs almost all last season and got pretty hurt at the end of the Sac/beginning of Mavs series. And he still managed to score 20 a game.

SRJ
03-03-2007, 05:18 AM

Cool.

He was told to shoot 20-25 times in the playoffs last year by Pop. If you have a problem with him not passing enough, take it up with the coach. He carried the Spurs almost all last season and got pretty hurt at the end of the Sac/beginning of Mavs series. And he still managed to score 20 a game.

Just to add to this point, 20 a game in a seven game series is outstanding not only considering his injuries, but also considering how well Duncan was going and how many shots he was taking.

ArgSpursFan
03-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Manu is on baby!I predict we win 80% of the reminding games of the reg season.

itzsoweezee
03-03-2007, 08:45 AM
the spurs are beating teams they would've lost to a month ago. so that's a great sign.

ArgSpursFan
03-03-2007, 08:46 AM

Well,I donīt see nobody else saying it.
But thatīs ok,I belive you didnīt bitch about Manu in the 2005 playoffs,So you should be more thanksfull and stay behind your spurs players, On the good times and and bad times.Otherwise youīd be acting like a Mavs fan.

Clutch20
03-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm not convinced that the Rockets are consistent enough in all departments to provide a great test for our guys. They certainly have the motivation, having to endure all our playoff successes and they also put up with having to read when the Houston media write about their love of Ginobili and how they cover him so well.
If we watch carefully, we'll see our guys stick to their formula no matter what.
Pacing.
And putting up with the whistle.
And not being so complacent at beginnings of periods, quick intensity.
And finding the hot hand so rhythm can be firmly established.
And MFin playing good D when he ain't shooting so well, (that he's learned from Manu!)

Dalhoop
03-03-2007, 09:41 AM
I will asume that we are talking from the game just after the 1-4 stretch at the beginning of last month.

Turning the corner as in playing well, absolutly.

As already stated, they are not playing the best of compitition. Five of the seven games (Sense the bad stretch) have been against Eastern teams. I did a thing on a different forum about the Pistons about a week ago where I swaped the winning % for each conferance and moved the team to the West and calculated what their record would be if playing a Western schedule (Using just the win% for each conferance) they ended up at 14 1/2 games behind the Mavs, roughly the same possision as the Lakers at the time.

When the best team in the East wins at around 54% of their games (If they were in the west) then just how good could the rest of the East be?

That being said ..lets look at the games.

The Pistons were a BtB and you won in Detriot by 9 ... Thats a good win.
The win vs the Raptors is also a good win.

All the others are vs teams that are currently seeded 7th or lower, with of course Seatle and Atlanta with no more then 45 wins between the two.

All of these teams are supposed to wins with the Detroit game being the toughest. before the season started (with optimism a plenty in the air), all of those teams would be concidered a win. As a matter of fact most of the month of March would have been concidered a win (Only games vs Pistons, Rockets and Jazz are "real threats")

Its getting late in the season and the schedule makers are not helping the matter of figuring this question out .. The Final month of the season would be the test, but as already posted, the Mavs game may come too late as team rest before the real games begin.

I'm going to say that they have turned the corner in that they are playing to the Spurs of last years level ... That is that they are beating teams that they are supposed to.

Will that help vs the top teams in the West .... Personaly, I don't think so. With no moves through the trade deadline the Spurs are still the Spurs and the Mavs are still the Mavs.

I don't like their chances vs the Mavs .... everyone else ... They are looking good.

Clutch20
03-03-2007, 09:47 AM
I will asume that we are talking from the game just after the 1-4 stretch at the beginning of last month.

Turning the corner as in playing well, absolutly.

As already stated, they are not playing the best of compitition. Five of the seven games (Sense the bad stretch) have been against Eastern teams. I did a thing on a different forum about the Pistons about a week ago where I swaped the winning % for each conferance and moved the team to the West and calculated what their record would be if playing a Western schedule (Using just the win% for each conferance) they ended up at 14 1/2 games behind the Mavs, roughly the same possision as the Lakers at the time.

When the best team in the East wins at around 54% of their games (If they were in the west) then just how good could the rest of the East be?

That being said ..lets look at the games.

The Pistons were a BtB and you won in Detriot by 9 ... Thats a good win.
The win vs the Raptors is also a good win.

All the others are vs teams that are currently seeded 7th or lower, with of course Seatle and Atlanta with no more then 45 wins between the two.

All of these teams are supposed to wins with the Detroit game being the toughest. before the season started (with optimism a plenty in the air), all of those teams would be concidered a win. As a matter of fact most of the month of March would have been concidered a win (Only games vs Pistons, Rockets and Jazz are "real threats")

Its getting late in the season and the schedule makers are not helping the matter of figuring this question out .. The Final month of the season would be the test, but as already posted, the Mavs game may come too late as team rest before the real games begin.

I'm going to say that they have turned the corner in that they are playing to the Spurs of last years level ... That is that they are beating teams that they are supposed to.

Will that help vs the top teams in the West .... Personaly, I don't think so. With no moves through the trade deadline the Spurs are still the Spurs and the Mavs are still the Mavs.

I don't like their chances vs the Mavs .... everyone else ... They are looking good.
Yes, the East has had many years of producing less than par teams, especially that motley crew called the Heat I mean my god, what ever did they achieve and whoever did they beat?

Dalhoop
03-03-2007, 09:54 AM
I love the Mavs bashing, but what does it have to do with this thread? The Spurs have not played the Heat during their stretch and if they did, they would be grouped into the "7th seed or lower" group.

itzsoweezee
03-03-2007, 09:57 AM
With no moves through the trade deadline the Spurs are still the Spurs and the Mavs are still the Mavs.

oh yeah, the spurs are still the spurs. you say that like they suck. fucking retarded.

as long as the spurs don't play small ball, they will beat the mavs.

Dalhoop
03-03-2007, 10:01 AM
oh yeah, the spurs are still the spurs. you say that like they suck. fucking retarded.

How do you know how I typed it? (I use hunt&pick method)

What I meant by that was exactly what it said. The Spurs are 2-1 vs the Mavs this year after lossing to them in the playoffs last year.

If the Spurs didn't improve from last year, or the Mavs didn't slide from last year ... I don't like the Spurs chances .... I do like them against other teams though.

Clutch20
03-03-2007, 10:05 AM
I love the Mavs bashing, but what does it have to do with this thread? The Spurs have not played the Heat during their stretch and if they did, they would be grouped into the "7th seed or lower" group.
Aren't we generalizing here?
East is weak.
Mav's record's good at this point so they're superior.
Spurs record's suspect because they garnered current record against Eastern teams.
West>East
Mavs>rest

So, as things are right now, with current trends, Mav's are the best?
Not currently.
Please stay realtime and update game by game.
Things are changing at the speedOfManu.
Keep one ear to the ground and your nose out of the air.

itzsoweezee
03-03-2007, 10:05 AM

How do you know how I typed it? (I use hunt&pick method)

What I meant by that was exactly what it said. The Spurs are 2-1 vs the Mavs this year after lossing to them in the playoffs last year.

If the Spurs didn't improve from last year, or the Mavs didn't slide from last year ... I don't like the Spurs chances .... I do like them against other teams though.

everything had to go right for the mavs to barely scrape by the spurs last year. so to say the spurs don't have a great chance against the mavs is dumb. and to assume that the spurs didn't improve since last year is dumb. personnel-wise, the spurs match up much better against the mavs than they did last year. fuck the regular season records, they don't mean anything.

Clutch20
03-03-2007, 10:10 AM
everything had to go right for the mavs to barely scrape by the spurs last year. so to say the spurs don't have a great chance against the mavs is dumb. and to assume that the spurs didn't improve since last year is dumb. personnel-wise, the spurs match up much better against the mavs than they did last year. fuck the regular season records, they don't mean anything.
W-O-R-D!

Jimcs50
03-03-2007, 10:10 AM
40-18 smart guy.

Yeah that great regular season and they lost.

So regular season means jack shit.

So youve made zero point.

The point is, we are not as good as we were last year(even a homer should admit that), by a wide margin, Dallas is 20% better than last year, Dallas beat us last year, hence Dallas will beat us again this year.

That seems like good logic to me, yes?

I am just being realistic, it is not that I do not like the Spurs any more, but any moron can see the handwriting is on the wall. Dallas is the Bulls of the 90s, as far as regular season dominance, and they have already proven that the own the West(last year), so if they can beat Detroit in Finals, then they will be one of the greatest teams in the history of the NBA for this one year....as far as record that is.

Clutch20
03-03-2007, 10:22 AM
The point is, we are not as good as we were last year(even a homer should admit that), by a wide margin, Dallas is 50% better than last year, Dallas beat us last year, hence Dallas will beat us again this year.

I am just being realistic, it is not that I do not like the Spurs any more, but any moron can see the handwriting is on the wall. Dallas is the Bulls of the 90s, as far as regular season dominance, and they have already proven that the own the West(last year), so if they can beat Detroit in Finals, then they will be one of the greatest teams in the history of the NBA for this one year....as far as record that is.

Yeah, I know you're genuinely trying to break it down in good fashion if you're a true fan but current trends belie what you're espousing but unless you're CURRENTLY inside that vortex that the Spurs, Manu and crew are calling up on demand every game now; can't you see the special thing that's being created right in front of your eyes? Those special teamsports traits really aren't fully appreciated until championship celebration time, in retrospect.

silk
03-03-2007, 10:24 AM
The point is, we are not as good as we were last year(even a homer should admit that), by a wide margin, Dallas is 20% better than last year, Dallas beat us last year, hence Dallas will beat us again this year.

on paper this spurs team is less good than last year but on the court and against the mavs i think they are much better. They lack nazr and rasho's d in the middle but elson is far more valuable for us against the mavs also tim is healthy manu is healthy and tony is better, barry also seems better than last year. Now it's true the mavs are much better than last year but don't write off the spurs so quickly.

Jimcs50
03-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I know you're genuinely trying to break it down in good fashion if you're a true fan but current trends belie what you're espousing but unless you're CURRENTLY inside that vortex that the Spurs, Manu and crew are calling up on demand every game now; can't you see the special thing that's being created right in front of your eyes? Those special teamsports traits really aren't fully appreciated until championship celebration time, in retrospect.

Please do not get my hopes up.

I had to have 6 months of therapy after last years' playoff failure, a season that was so full of hope and promise. Pop ruined the Spurs' chances last year with his insane matchups, and I was bitter for 10 months(still am). I just can not forgive Pop, and now that Dallas has used that gift of a series win as a spring board this year to greater heights, it really pisses me off even more.

The only thing that wil pull me out of this funk is a Dallas injury to Dirk right before we play them in the playoffs, or a boneheaded move by AJ(like Pops), to tip the balance over to the Spurs in our series with them....then and only then, will I become the glass is half full, goofy homer that I hd been the last 30 years prior.

Bruno
03-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Against Mavs : this year Spurs > last year Spurs

Mavs are too playing at an higher level, the re-matchup (if there is one because Suns, Rockets and others cna be really good) should be fun to watch.

Clutch20
03-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Please do not get my hopes up.

I had to have 6 months of therapy after last years' playoff failure, a season that was so full of hope and promise. Pop ruined the Spurs' chances last year with his insane matchups, and I was bitter for 10 months(still am). I just can not forgive Pop, and now that Dallas has used that gift of a series win as a spring board this year to greater heights, it really pisses me off even more.

The only thing that wil pull me out of this funk is a Dallas injury to Dirk right before we play them in the playoffs, or a boneheaded move by AJ(like Pops), to tip the balance over to the Spurs in our series with them....then and only then, will I become the glass is half full, goofy homer that I hd been the last 30 years prior.
And I was there with you Jimcs50.
I think Pop knows what he did, too.
But please, no injury to Dirk cause I want to see him deal with Elson.
Avery's whims, well there's no telling.
Go there with us man, risk it, it in our black and silver genes.

silk
03-03-2007, 11:20 AM
No offense but some of you should really get a life...

LEONARD
03-03-2007, 11:21 AM
All is good in ST land...

until they lose to the Rockettes tonight... :D

Clutch20
03-03-2007, 11:30 AM
All is good in ST land...

until they lose to the Rockettes tonight... :D
Hey!
GO MAVS!

silk
03-03-2007, 12:13 PM
just a little word i find out for our dear mavs fans ( beside i really like the points they are making here no joke)....the strong one doesn't win , the one that wins is strong

Amuseddaysleeper
03-03-2007, 12:42 PM
I agree with Dalhoop

I don't think he is dissing the Spurs, but yes, the Mavs are still another level above of us

But anything can happen come playoff time, but you can't really blame him (or anyone else) favoring the Mavs over the Spurs this year

SuperManu!!!
03-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Dallas is the team to beat....they have lost only 9 games and 4 of them came from the first games

bdictjames
03-03-2007, 01:30 PM
I dont care if we're real or not, Im still real happy by these wins.

SpursDynasty
03-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Yes, the East has had many years of producing less than par teams, especially that motley crew called the Heat I mean my god, what ever did they achieve and whoever did they beat?

I believe the Heat won the NBA Finals in 6 games last year vs the Dallas Mavericks. NBA Finals' don't lie. The Heat's real talent has been masked by injuries this year to Wade and Shaq.

Dalhoop
03-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Aren't we generalizing here?

Not me.

East is weak.

I think you may be generalizing (I gave credit for the wins vs the Pistons and Raptors)

Mav's record's good at this point so they're superior.

The Mavs beat them last year, and have done so this year ... How they do against other teams is moot.

Spurs record's suspect because they garnered current record against Eastern teams.

Their record is not suspect. Thier current streak of wins has been against mostly Eastern teams .... Two good teams, three lesser Eastern teams. How they play against the Rockets well tell how "Suspect"

West>East

Although another generality .. It mostly bares out.

Mavs>rest

you said it, not me.

So, as things are right now, with current trends, Mav's are the best?

If this is a question to me, I would answer yes. They have lost two games in almost three months. You would be hard pressed to fine a team on more of a roll.

Not currently.

I would like to see some stats that would show otherwise ... Two losses in three months (and current fifteen in a row) is hard to beat.

Please stay realtime and update game by game.

As I said, fifteen in a row is hard to top.

Things are changing at the speedOfManu.

I think that the change has more to do with the Spurs defensive play, but to each his own.

Keep one ear to the ground and your nose out of the air.

Okay :)

td4mvp21
03-03-2007, 02:54 PM
I think we are for real, just still not good enough to beat Dallas in the playoffs. We can make it to the WCF's if we stay in the 2 or 3 seed, but that's about as far as we will go. We lack good coaching and frontcourt depth, and that's enough to cause us to lose to Dallas.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-03-2007, 03:18 PM
What I've noticed is that every team in the league gets ramped up to play the Spurs. I think the teams respect the Spurs as the team to beat.

Dallas, Phoenix, Utah, LA, none of the East teams, including the Heat and Pistons get that kind of respect.

I think this makes the regular season for San Antonio a little tough to gauge. They rarely have a night where they don't have a target on their back. Since the Spurs tend to sleep through stretches of the regular season and lose games they shouldn't I'd say you can't really judge regular season results at all until the Spurs are putting forth real effort...which they're starting to do now.

They realistically could win 60 this year, which is amazing considering how they played from around games 25 through 51.

All that being said I think Dallas is going to be tough to overcome this year. There's not a weak spot in their lineup and they matchup with the Spurs extremely well. Anything can happen in the playoffs, however, and I'll never rule the Spurs out if Duncan, Manu and Tony are all healthy and playing well.

boutons_
03-03-2007, 03:31 PM
"Dallas, Phoenix,"

There's no reason that in this season, or in the preceding 2 seasons, that Mavs and Suns wouldn't get "ramped up" for any less than the Spurs. Every crappy team would like to knock off any top 4 team.

The Spurs have obviously "ramped up" themselves in current W streak, it even peaked out a little bit in the close losses in the RRT.

Which for me is to say they have been capable of doing it all year, they just refused to play well.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-03-2007, 03:39 PM
"Dallas, Phoenix,"

There's no reason that in this season, or in the preceding 2 seasons, that Mavs and Suns wouldn't get "ramped up" for any less than the Spurs. Every crappy team would like to knock off any top 4 team.

The Spurs have obviously "ramped up" themselves in current W streak, it even peaked out a little bit in the close losses in the RRT.

Which for me is to say they have been capable of doing it all year, they just refused to play well.

Every team still measures themselves against the Spurs. That's what still having your core players from multiple championship teams will do for you.

But that was a nice job restating what I said.

z0sa
03-03-2007, 04:39 PM
The Spurs before they turned the corner < the mavs.

the spurs now? equal with the mavs. The mavs have been on a tear all season but now, the spurs are back on the mavs level.

ArgSpursFan
03-03-2007, 04:41 PM

the spurs now? equal with the mavs. The mavs have been on a tear all season but now, the spurs are back on the spurs level.

That sounds better now.

td4mvp21
03-03-2007, 05:11 PM

the spurs now? equal with the mavs. The mavs have been on a tear all season but now, the spurs are back on the mavs level.

No, the Spurs before: <<<Mavs
Now: <Mavs

We still need more consistency, and hopefully (and I mean HOPEFULLY) some production from Ely.

SpursDynasty
03-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Teams on the current Mavs' winning streak:

Kings, Sonics, Grizzlies, Timberwolves, Grizzlies, Rockets, 76ers, Bucks, Rockets, Heat, Nuggets, Hawks, Timberwolves, Cavaliers

If you give the Spurs that same schedule, they can also win 14 in a row. Am I right or am I right?

I think the problem with many teams is when they show up to play Dallas, they give them too much respect, far more than they deserve. Teams play pathetic against Dallas, they don't even show up. I see Dallas play and I don't see them as being any better than Utah or SA. I am not taking anything away from Dallas, teams should always beat who they are supposed to beat, which is what they've been doing all year. The Spurs and Utah play Dallas better than any other team in the NBA though.

"The only team we're concerned with are those boys down I-35" - Stackhouse referring to the Spurs.
"It's personal. I don't like them and they don't like me." Stackhouse referring to the Jazz.

SRJ
03-03-2007, 05:49 PM

Was this just a poor choice of words on your part? Because "refused to play well" to me implies a conscious choice to play poorly.

"Man, Pop's been pissing me off lately. I'm just gonna grab ass in my 20 minutes and I don't really care if we win or not." - refusing to play well.

ShoogarBear
03-03-2007, 05:54 PM

Cool.

He was told to shoot 20-25 times in the playoffs last year by Pop. If you have a problem with him not passing enough, take it up with the coach. He carried the Spurs almost all last season and got pretty hurt at the end of the Sac/beginning of Mavs series. And he still managed to score 20 a game.Give it up Kori. For some people the clear priority is, in this exact order:

1. Praising Manu when he does good.
2. Having an excuse for when Manu doesn't do well.
3. Hoping that Tony does poorly.
4. Finding an excuse to rip Tony even when he plays wells.
5. Whether the Spurs win or not.

SpursDynasty
03-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Keys to Spurs' playoff success:

1. Beat who you are supposed to beat in the reg. season (they've done this lately)
2. Play atleast .500 or better in the reg. season vs Dallas, Phoenix, Utah (They are .500 vs Phoenix, 1-2 vs Utah and Dallas, with 1 game remaining against each of these three)
3. Ignore the NBA commentators
4. Finished 3rd or better in the West

mabber
03-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Give it up Kori. For some people the clear priority is, in this exact order:

That is so true on this site!

In regards to the thread topic...I don't understand why anyone ever thought the Spurs were not for real?

powerpower
03-03-2007, 05:58 PM

SEROUSLY, CAN YOU GUYS FORGET ABOUT MANU VS TONY. ITS GETTING REDICILOUS

SpursDynasty
03-03-2007, 05:59 PM

Haha, this is the best post I've ever read in my life! Post Of the Year Award here!

SRJ
03-03-2007, 06:08 PM
In regards to the thread topic...I don't understand why anyone ever thought the Spurs were not for real?

Thank you, Mavs fan. It surprises me too, but in order to see what's going on, you have to look at the season as a whole. Even through their roughest stretch of basketball this season, the Spurs were still among the top five teams in terms of winning percentage and point differential. Their defense has improved steadily over the course of the entire season.

Some fans look at the season differently, and that's why you have some differing conclusions. I don't think a three-game stretch here or a five-game stretch there is as useful as looking at all of it, and a three-game losing streak can create a sense of panic. No team is as good as a winning streak indicates, and no team is as bad as a losing streak indicates.

ShoogarBear
03-03-2007, 06:12 PM
"For Real", to a Spurs fan in this day and age, means at minumum proving to be one of the top two teams in the league. Anything else is considered a disappointment. And right now there are still questions about that.

Yes, it's spoiled, but also realistic in that we know that we don't have very many years of Tim Duncan in his prime left, and we don't want to waste them.

ArgSpursFan
03-03-2007, 06:17 PM

Are you serius?,I really feel like most people here gets harder on manu tham on tony,when things arenīt going so good.

mabber
03-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Thank you, Mavs fan. It surprises me too, but in order to see what's going on, you have to look at the season as a whole. Even through their roughest stretch of basketball this season, the Spurs were still among the top five teams in terms of winning percentage and point differential. Their defense has improved steadily over the course of the entire season.

Some fans look at the season differently, and that's why you have some differing conclusions. I don't think a three-game stretch here or a five-game stretch there is as useful as looking at all of it, and a three-game losing streak can create a sense of panic. No team is as good as a winning streak indicates, and no team is as bad as a losing streak indicates.

Obviously, there are different ways to win a championship. The Mavs having a really good regular season shouldn't come as a surprise since they blew the finals last season. They have a fairly large chip on their shoulder right now and it's showing in the "regular season"...they have more focus this season than everyone else. Everyone is going to be focused come playoff time so it will just come down to who has the best team at that time. You can't expect a team like the Spurs to have that focus in the regular season since they've won titles already (it's just human nature). The real question for Spur's fans is if they think the Spurs are a better team than Dallas when both teams are equally focused. I think the Mavs are better, but I don't think the margin is that great where an injury or a couple of bad breaks couldn't turn it in the Spur's favor (assuming they met in the playoffs).

ArgSpursFan
03-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Obviously, there are different ways to win a championship. The Mavs having a really good regular season shouldn't come as a surprise since they blew the finals last season. They have a fairly large chip on their shoulder right now and it's showing in the "regular season"...they have more focus this season than everyone else. Everyone is going to be focused come playoff time so it will just come down to who has the best team at that time. You can't expect a team like the Spurs to have that focus in the regular season since they've won titles already (it's just human nature). The real question for Spur's fans is if they think the Spurs are a better team than Dallas when both teams are equally focused. I think the Mavs are better, but I don't think the margin is that great where an injury or a couple of bad breaks couldn't turn it in the Spur's favor (assuming they met in the playoffs).

When youīre playing a Conference or NBA Finals,Itīs more important,to think that you are better tham the team youīre playing against tham the fact of being or not better tham them.Itīs all MENTAL.

mabber
03-03-2007, 06:25 PM
When youīre playing a Conference or NBA Finals,Itīs more important,to think that you are better tham the team youīre playing against tham the fact of being or not better tham them.Itīs all MENTAL.

I somewhat agree with this and it's why the Mavs finally beating the Spurs last season was huge for them. The Spurs always had the mental advantage over Dallas and now they don't. I don't think Dallas has that advantage over the Spurs though...I think it's equal now.

SRJ
03-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Obviously, there are different ways to win a championship. The Mavs having a really good regular season shouldn't come as a surprise since they blew the finals last season. They have a fairly large chip on their shoulder right now and it's showing in the "regular season"...they have more focus this season than everyone else. Everyone is going to be focused come playoff time so it will just come down to who has the best team at that time. You can't expect a team like the Spurs to have that focus in the regular season since they've won titles already (it's just human nature).

Intuitively, that seems right, but to me the very characteristic of great teams is that they overcome human complacency. The worst record the Spurs have had in the Duncan era was in 2000 (53-29), the season Duncan missed the last 13 games. The worst record the Lakers had in the Shaquille era (and remember, the Lakers were percieved as the ultimate "flip the switch" complacent team) was 2003 (50-32), when Shaq missed 15 games. Jordan and Phil Jackson never had a full season together when they won less than 56 games. I believe championship coaches have a way of minimizing the human tendency to coast.

The real question for Spur's fans is if they think the Spurs are a better team than Dallas when both teams are equally focused. I think the Mavs are better, but I don't think the margin is that great where an injury or a couple of bad breaks couldn't turn it in the Spur's favor (assuming they met in the playoffs).

I agree with this.

Dalhoop
03-03-2007, 06:51 PM

I will have to cry foul on this one.

12 game streak (11/9 to 12/1) - Included wins vs the Spurs, Suns and Wizards
13 game streak (12/13 to 1/5) - Also included the Spurs, Suns and lakers (a tough game for us)
8 game streak (1/9 to 1/24) - Including the Jazz and Lakers (Again, a tough game for the Mavs)

Only the current streak has been devoid of top teams ... You can only play the teams on your schedule.

mavs>spurs2
03-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Nothing's changed, either the mavs suns or spurs will represent the west in the finals.

aaronstampler
03-03-2007, 08:27 PM

Cool.

Listen, he was told to shoot a lot vs. THE KINGS because Adelman was stupid enough to leave Bibby on him. Bibby's the worst defensive player in the NBA so I have no problems with Tony shooting it every time against them. This year if you noticed they abandoned that matchup and let Bibby guard Bowen (he kept leaving him repeatedly and Bruce had his season high that day).

But against Dallas, the matchup is different. They're gonna put Harris on him and he's a good defensive player. We're gonna need him to pass more.