PDA

View Full Version : Kris Dielman Agrees to Six-year Contract

TheSanityAnnex
03-03-2007, 04:57 PM
:clap :clap :clap :clap
Dielman agrees to six-year contract

Saturday, Mar 03, 2007
By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

The Chargers accomplished their number one goal of the offseason Saturday when they agreed to terms on a new six-year contract with prized free agent guard Kris Dielman.

“This is huge for us,” Chargers President Dean Spanos said. “Kris brings so much to our team. The character and attitude of your football team starts with the offensive line. Kris brings an edge and intensity to that group that is vital. We’re so happy to keep him in the fold.”

Dielman becomes the 26th key Charger that is signed through at least the 2009 season. :clap His new contract will run through the 2012 season. Dielman is expected to return to San Diego Saturday afternoon to sign the deal.

“I knew how important it was to A.J. (Smith) and Norv (Turner) to keep Kris with the team,” Spanos said. “Ed (McGuire) and I worked on the deal late last night and early this morning. When I called A.J. to tell him the good news, he couldn’t believe it. He thought I was pulling his leg.”

Dielman was one of the hottest commodities on the market. As soon as free agency began, he was in Seattle meeting with the Seahawks. Seattle was aggressively pursuing him, but Spanos was determined to keep Dielman in lightning bolts.

“Dean said he wasn’t going to let Kris get away and he didn’t,” McGuire said. “Dean knows how valuable Kris is to our team in so many different ways. He stepped up and made it happen.”

Dielman was a first alternate to the Pro Bowl in 2006 after a remarkable year in which he helped pave the way for a record-breaking season by running back LaDainian Tomlinson. Dielman’s new contract also means stability for the Chargers’ offensive line, a tight-knit group that helped the Bolts finish second in the NFL in rushing in 2006 while leading the league in scoring. Left tackle Marcus McNeill is signed through 2009, center Nick Hardwick and right tackle Shane Olivea through 2011 and right guard Mike Goff through 2008.

“I’m extremely excited to have Kris back,” Smith said. “This is huge for our team because it enables us to keep our offensive line intact for years to come. Kris is one of the best in the business at his position. He sets the tone with his consistent physical play.”

Now that the Chargers have secured Dielman, they have no other major free agency issues on the immediate horizon. The personnel department will now focus their efforts on the upcoming draft.

“We took care of the most important piece of business on our agenda,” Spanos said. “A.J. and his staff have had a lot of success lately finding players in the draft that can come in and help us. That’s where they’ll turn their attention now.” :clap

Fabbs
03-03-2007, 05:02 PM
:clap :toast

TheTruth
03-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Good resign. The Chargers offense definately starts upfront with that awesome OLine.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Good signing.

I can't believe how much money guards are getting this year. Unreal.

TheTruth
03-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Good signing.

I can't believe how much money guards are getting this year. Unreal.
I nearly shat myself when Hutchison got the money he did last year, and now 2nd tier guards are getting near that money. Crazy Crazy League.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-03-2007, 08:31 PM
WTF are the Falcons thinking giving a FB a 6 year, $18 million contract??

By far the dumbest move thus far...

greenroom
03-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Yea great move by the Chargers.

It is looking like a match up this year between the Chargers and Broncos this year.

ducks
03-04-2007, 11:39 AM
bronco's have alot to prove
they flat out sucked after the great start
their d sucked when they went on their lossing streak
then when jake got benched the running backs finnally started running

TheTruth
03-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Every team has a lot to prove. The only team that had a successful season last year were the Colts.

TheSanityAnnex
03-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Yea great move by the Chargers.

It is looking like a match up this year between the Chargers and Broncos this year.

Broncos won't be threat yet.
Cutler still needs time to develop.

Pugglekicker_21
03-04-2007, 10:03 PM
He will get in to clearer waters by at least the middle of the season. Getting 17 mil for being 6'4'' and 310 and blocking for Lt is unreal. BTW your sig is great.