PDA

View Full Version : Spurs will beat the Mavs in the Playoffs

ZEEK11
03-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey everyone new to the board. Detroit Piston fan here. I think you guys will beat Dallas in a 7 game series. The Mavs are a great regular season team ,but i think the way the Spurs are currently playing,i see them beating Dallas . There starting to click at the right time. They have won 7 games in a row.

I know Dallas has had mulitple winning streaks,and they are on pace to win 68 games,but i think when the going gets tough,i still see them fumbling in close games in the playoffs. The Spurs are starting to remind me of there squad from 2 years ago when they beat the Pistons.

powerpower
03-03-2007, 06:41 PM
dallas has won 15 i think

ZEEK11
03-03-2007, 06:43 PM
I meant the Spurs have won 7 in a row. Dallas is currently on a 15 game winning streak ,i think. But i still see them as a regular season type team.

2centsworth
03-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm not worried about the Mavs, it's Phoenix that I think will provide more problems.

dg7md
03-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm not worried about the Mavs, it's Phoenix that I think will provide more problems.

You're crazy then. Dallas is a way better team than the Suns, especially with Avery at the helm. No way he lets them choke out like last year.

Solid D
Welcome to the board ZEEK11. I hope Pop has some new plays to spring on the Mavs, if they meet each other in the playoffs. We got tired of watching AJ yelling out all of the Spurs plays as the ball crossed half-court.

mabber

Nah, you'll take the Suns down in the 2nd round and then you won't have anything to worry about since the it will only be the Mavs waiting for you.

SpursDynasty
03-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey everyone new to the board. Detroit Piston fan here. I think you guys will beat Dallas in a 7 game series. The Mavs are a great regular season team ,but i think the way the Spurs are currently playing,i see them beating Dallas . There starting to click at the right time. They have won 7 games in a row.

I know Dallas has had mulitple winning streaks,and they are on pace to win 68 games,but i think when the going gets tough,i still see them fumbling in close games in the playoffs. The Spurs are starting to remind me of there squad from 2 years ago when they beat the Pistons.

I think you are right. Everyone forgets how close the series was with the Mavs last year, but once the Mavs won, everyone makes it seem like it was a domination over the Spurs by the Mavs, when it clearly wasn't. Add on phrases such as "the Mavs are more athletic" and etc. etc and several other things that the NBA tells the commentators to say, and you have people talking about the Spurs losing this year.

As I stated in another post, Dallas' 14 game win streak has been against very very easy teams. Give SA the same schedule and they would reel off 14 straight too.

Sadly, most Spurs fans from what I read here, pick Houston over SA in the first round.

I say it's another 7-game series with SA and Dallas, the winner being the one who gets the extra bounce or tip in at the buzzer.

mavs>spurs2
03-03-2007, 07:00 PM
^ No way houston beats SA in the first round. Suns in round 2 maybe, but I still think the spurs matchup good against them. I think it will be Dallas and SA in the WCF.

ZEEK11
03-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Spurs will most likely play the Lakers 1st round. Kobe might be able to lead the Lakers to 1 victory ,but thats all i see the Lakers winning is 1 game.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Welcome to the board ZEEK11. I hope Pop has some new plays to spring on the Mavs, if they meet each other in the playoffs. We got tired of watching AJ yelling out all of the Spurs plays as the ball crossed half-court.

That's half the battle right there. Of course, it doesn't take a genius to notice the Manu isolation setting up, the pick and roll, and 4 down. I could call those out myself. But you're right.

Hank the Tank
03-03-2007, 07:13 PM
i think when (them playing each other in the playoffs is inevitable) it will be the best series in the entire playoffs. i'm pretty sure it will go to a game 7 and it will be a tossup to win the last game. should be a good one.

Dalhoop
03-03-2007, 07:17 PM
I think that if the Spurs played like they did last year in the playoffs, they will lose in five games to the Mavs. The Mavs are not the team that you want to get down by 15+ points too anymore. With the fire they are showing this year, the Spurs would not come back to win those games.

I understand that as Spurs fans you see the series as close, and only a stupid foul kept the Spurs from advancing. But the games were dominated by the Mavs. The Mavs would get up by a bunch of points and the Spurs would play catchup all game .... Sometimes they caught up, sometimes they didn't.

They will not win like that this year, they had better bring their "A" game from the opening tip to take it to a game seven.

boutons_
03-03-2007, 07:25 PM
"Spurs will most likely play the Lakers 1st round"

Spurs/3 vs Lakers/6

or

Spurs/4 vs Rockets/5

The Spurs/3rd are only one L ahead of Utah/4th.

I think the Rockets will hold 5th, esp if Yao comes back and can get in shape. Of course, McGrady's remaining season is game-to-game. One bad move and his back is cramped up for days or weeks, and Rockets scoring goes down the tubes.

Texas_Ranger
03-03-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm not afraid of Dallas. I know we'll win them if we meat in the playoffs.

mabber
03-03-2007, 07:37 PM

:lol

SpursDynasty
03-03-2007, 07:48 PM
The Mavericks can't beat the Spurs in a 7 game series.

Amarelooms
03-03-2007, 08:35 PM

They can't? That is just dumb to say...how old are you lol

Cry Havoc
03-03-2007, 08:37 PM
But the games were dominated by the Mavs.

Gotta love the logic.

"If we dominate for two quarters and then lose, it still counts as dominating the entire game." :smokin

Sorry, pal. If you win the game by under double digits, you did NOT DOMINATE the contest. End of story. If you go up by 27 points and then give them all away and lose on a last second three? YOU DIDN'T DOMINATE THE GAME. You dominated a quarter or three, at most, and then completely sucked.

Similarly, if a series goes to 7 games, I really hate to break it to you, but you didn't dominate the series. At all. Case closed. Added punctuation marks for emphasis.

Dalhoop
03-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Maybe you haven't watched many games, but sometimes the final score doesn't tell the story of the game.

You must not remember much about the actual games from last year, only the Manu foul in game seven. Think back and recall. then respond to the post.

midgetonadonkey
03-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Maybe you haven't watched many games, but sometimes the final score doesn't tell the story of the game.

You must not remember much about the actual games from last year, only the Manu foul in game seven. Think back and recall. then respond to the post.

I think back and recall if Manu didn't foul then the Spurs would be up 1 and the ball with a few seconds left.

midgetonadonkey
03-03-2007, 11:20 PM
How can Mavs fans say they dominated that series when it went into overtime

td4mvp21
03-03-2007, 11:24 PM
That's a pretty bold prediction. Actually, I think we stand a better chance than we did last year, with everyone being healthy and in sync this year. I would still give Dallas the edge right now though.

Mavs are Champs
03-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Well, Dallas has just won their 15th in a row (yawn!!). What was that win # tonight for the Spurs, 8? Great job, seven more without a loss and youll be there too. But, Im sure you are right, the Spurs should be to win pretty easily against a team that has 50 wins on the 3rd day of march

SpursDynasty
03-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Well, Dallas has just won their 15th in a row (yawn!!). What was that win # tonight for the Spurs, 8? Great job, seven more without a loss and youll be there too. But, Im sure you are right, the Spurs should be to win pretty easily against a team that has 50 wins on the 3rd day of march

All of Dallas' 15 wins were against very very beatable teams. You guys have yet to beat Detroit by the way.

Dallas cant beat the Spurs in a 7 game series.

Mavs are Champs
03-03-2007, 11:44 PM
All of Dallas' 15 wins were against very very beatable teams. You guys have yet to beat Detroit by the way.

Dallas cant beat the Spurs in a 7 game series.
lol when is the last time the spurs had a 15 game win streak. Oh, and I guess the other 35 wins were all against beatable teams too. We play the same teams bud.

As far as a 7 game series goes, If you make it to the WCF, I guess we'll find out

mavs>spurs2
03-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Should be mavs vs spurs in the WCF. I'd give the mavs a slight edge for now but I don't know what to think anymore after last years finals.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2007, 11:46 PM
To think the Mavs can't beat the Spurs in the playoffs is Spurs fan craziness. The Mavs are very, very good. If the teams end up matching up in the playoffs, the Mavs would be favored, but I think it would be a close series.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-03-2007, 11:47 PM
pete and repeat walk into a store. pete comes out. who's left?

Roxsfan
03-03-2007, 11:47 PM

+1

The_Worlds_finest
03-03-2007, 11:53 PM
I dont know how much more thick headed and dense mav fan can get...Last years Spurs were vulnerable to a team Dallas put together. Robert Horry Started! Oh and look the series still went to 7 and an over time...oh yeah and if Manu wouldnt have fouled...guess what idiot mav fan....anyway keep running your mouth mav fan or should I say nbas attempt at creating hype for a team... oh yeah btw You happen to notice Spurs are no longer playing games but holding glorified practices?

Spurs would only need 6 against cubans circus.

Mavs are Champs
03-03-2007, 11:59 PM
I dont know how much more thick headed and dense mav fan can get...Last years Spurs were vulnerable to a team Dallas put together. Robert Horry Started! Oh and look the series still went to 7 and an over time...oh yeah and if Manu wouldnt have fouled...guess what idiot mav fan....anyway keep running your mouth mav fan or should I say nbas attempt at creating hype for a team... oh yeah btw You happen to notice Spurs are no longer playing games but holding glorified practices?

Spurs would only need 6 against cubans circus.

Guess what bud, this isnt last year, that game is over, and if your argument that the Spurs can beat the Mavs is based on a series where the Spurs actually lost, you have real problems. If you want to talk about how the Spurs are better than the Mavs because of previous year playoff series, you would be better off using any # of the other series where the Spurs actually won.

I think this year is going to be a great series, just like last year. I am seeing some of the best basketball of the year coming out of the last few games the Spurs have played

The_Worlds_finest
03-04-2007, 12:08 AM
No my argument is that your trader bitch of a coach Average Avery caught Pops Platoon of guard, it wont happen again. Your squad is good but Pop is averys master and he will never get the best of pop again...

DallasFan
03-04-2007, 12:23 AM
No my argument is that your trader bitch of a coach Average Avery caught Pops Platoon of guard, it wont happen again. Your squad is good but Pop is averys master and he will never get the best of pop again...the only Championship ring that will ever be on the mavs bench will always have SPURS ON IT

???

So let me get this straight, Avery was supposed to say Fu_k it...the Spurs have a coach so I'll just sit around and wait for Pop to quit or die. :drunk

Avery was a player for this team too...he taught the Mavs how to play defense from being on great defensive Spurs teams.

If anything, you guys should be proud of him and that he has Spurs roots.

Melmart1
03-04-2007, 12:24 AM
:sleep

Big Shot Rob
03-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Face it--unless something like an injury happens, the Mavs are in the best position to win it all this year. If I was in Vegas putting down my hard-earned money, my bucks would go on the Mavs.

Still--the games still have to be played--and you never know--a bounce here, a call there--if its close, there is always hope.

Only probelm is that unless something drastic happens, I don't think a Mavs versus Spurs series would be that close.

What could happen on the Spurs side to change this?

Well--if the defense can continue to improve--and if the bench can develop more consistency--and Manu stays healthy, as does Manu and Parker--we'd be the underdog.

Sometimes, underdogs win.

ponky
03-04-2007, 12:57 AM
No my argument is that your trader bitch of a coach Average Avery caught Pops Platoon of guard, it wont happen again. Your squad is good but Pop is averys master and he will never get the best of pop again...

WTF?!?!??!! :lmao ...that was some funny stuff to read

RC's Boss
03-04-2007, 12:58 AM
It will be a good series and close. Hopefully small ball will be dead and we win it

BeerIsGood!
03-04-2007, 01:02 AM
When will you stiffs learn that basketball is a game of matchups? Ever wonder why some teams with bad records routinely beat or play extremely competitive against other teams with a much better record? That's due to matchups. The regular season is a fine indicator, but it comes down to matchups in the playoffs. In my opinion the Spurs match up much better against Dallas this year (than last) IF Elson continues to improve defensively and on the boards, and the big 3 are healthy. Whoever won 60 or 70 games in the regular season won't matter when two teams match up for a best of 7. It's going to be close and hard fought because the teams match up pretty evenly. The Mavs matchup well on the perimeter, but have no inside game compared to Duncan and the Spurs. It'll be fun to watch.

SsKSpurs21
03-04-2007, 01:07 AM
Mavs are champs? lol, jumped the gun a little early there bud. :p:

Cry Havoc
03-04-2007, 01:12 AM

Please explain to me how you dominated a series in which you lost 3 games in, and the deciding game when to overtime? Please explain to me how you "dominate" a game in which the other team comes from behind to beat you?

Just answer the questions. It's simple.

lebomb
03-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Spurs are good, but I dont think they can beat the Mavericks in a 7 game series. :depressed

Obstructed_View
03-04-2007, 01:13 AM
If both teams are healthy and playing well, I'll take my chances with the Spurs. It'll be nice to actually have centers in the rotation for a change and the big three healthy. It doesn't matter how many games the Mavs win in the regular season; it doesn't give them more than a one home game advantage. The winning streak isn't going to catch the Mavs, but I guarantee the Mavs fans are starting to perspire seeing the Spurs play well.

BUMP
03-04-2007, 01:14 AM

Don Nelson forum

or

Forgot to watch last postseason forum

ponky
03-04-2007, 01:15 AM
The Mavs matchup well on the perimeter, but have no inside game compared to Duncan and the Spurs. It'll be fun to watch.

it's really not that much of a difference, check out the offensive shot selections for both teams on 82games.com...mavs get more jumps and dunks, spurs get more in the paint shots excluding dunks and they both basically get the same number of tip-ins. attempts are basically the same and the point production is a wash

point averages for 06-07 season broken down by shot selection

mavs:
jumps 53.7
close 20.0
dunks 5.1
tips 1.4

spurs:
jumps 47.9
close 28.9
dunks 2.9
tips 1.5

dallasmavsnfuego214
03-04-2007, 01:17 AM
to be brutally honest with you Spurs fans we really dont even worry about you guys anymore,

im worried about beating a healthy Suns team, and then the Jazz, then the Rockets, but the Spurs arent even a test anymore. even on their homecourt, the AAC South :lol

dbreiden83080
03-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Spurs are no doubt back on track but the Mavs are having one of those magical years right now so we'll see what happens come playoff time. I'll say this the pressure on the Mavs will be incredible to win it all if they go on to win almost 70 games.

dbreiden83080
03-04-2007, 01:21 AM
to be brutally honest with you Spurs fans we really dont even worry about you guys anymore,

:lol

You are fucking kidding me right. Have you watched the way the Spurs have played lately. They play like this and the Suns are going down in a 7 game series to them. Spurs have won the titles and deserve the respect, you and the Suns have never won jack shit.

ponky
03-04-2007, 01:23 AM
Spurs are no doubt back on track but the Mavs are having one of those magical years right now so we'll see what happens come playoff time. I'll say this the pressure on the Mavs will be incredible to win it all if they go on to win almost 70 games.

lol, this is why i wouldn't mind not getting to the 70 game mark...although, i can't honestly root for the mavs to lose a couple of games, but i wouldn't be unhappy about not making that mark

ponky
03-04-2007, 01:25 AM
You are fucking kidding me right. Have you watched the way the Spurs have played lately. They play like this and the Suns are going down in a 7 game series to them. Spurs have won the titles and deserve the respect, you and the Suns have never won jack shit.

i don't agree with my fellow mavs fan who is just having some fun ticking you off...sure i respect the spurs, they're a great team...as for their fans, i respect some and i laugh at others

dbreiden83080
03-04-2007, 01:27 AM
lol, this is why i wouldn't mind not getting to the 70 game mark...although, i can't honestly root for the mavs to lose a couple of games, but i wouldn't be unhappy about not making that mark

I think you don't get to 70 because AJ will rest your guys for the playoffs. You have the best team in the league this year. I am just saying a 70 win season will be a shitload of pressure on a team that is yet to get over the hump. The 96 Bulls already had 3 rings in hand when they did it.

samikeyp
03-04-2007, 01:33 AM

Caught off guard? Twice?

That series was a play or two away from being a Spurs win.

It was also a play or two away from the Spurs losing in 5.

You can't get on Mavs fan for claming a title in March, then claim victory for the Spurs in the same breath.

The Spurs are starting a nice roll right now which will hopefully last a while. The Mavs have been doing it all year and are currently the best team right now.

Can the Spurs win a 7 game series against Dallas? Absolutely.

Can the Spurs drop that same series? Absolutely.

This current run is great and we should enjoy it. IMO the Spurs are playing their best ball all year but let's not start claiming playoff glory until the playoffs start.

ponky
03-04-2007, 01:35 AM
I think you don't get to 70 because AJ will rest your guys for the playoffs. You have the best team in the league this year. I am just saying a 70 win season will be a shitload of pressure on a team that is yet to get over the hump. The 96 Bulls already had 3 rings in hand when they did it.

i'm hoping we can get a big lead against the nets in a couple of days so we can rest some of the guys and play some of the rooks...the last two games before this one, they played well...we have a crazy schedule with three BTBs coming up after this week so it would be nice to get some fresh legs like devean george and (don't laugh) pops mensah-bonsu (like 3-4 minutes)

anyway, i hope it is mavs/spurs in the wcf, let's hope everyone stays healthy throughout

RC's Boss
03-04-2007, 02:15 AM
i'm hoping we can get a big lead against the nets in a couple of days so we can rest some of the guys and play some of the rooks...the last two games before this one, they played well...we have a crazy schedule with three BTBs coming up after this week so it would be nice to get some fresh legs like devean george and (don't laugh) pops mensah-bonsu (like 3-4 minutes)

anyway, i hope it is mavs/spurs in the wcf, let's hope everyone stays healthy throughout
:toast

spursrule32
03-04-2007, 02:28 AM
oh the maverick fans - we beat the Spurs last year so we're a legit team. Win a championship and then you can say that you should have respect. Spurs are playing well and granted they are no where near the mavs record, but they've been there and they've won championships so give them their due.

dirk4mvp
03-04-2007, 03:12 AM
OP trying to get some brownie points with spur fans.

Dirkadirkastan
03-04-2007, 03:40 AM
The Spurs have looked beat all season, and now this.

What did they do? Did they make some critical adjustment or is it just an inexplicable hot streak?

Budkin
03-04-2007, 03:45 AM
We all know that deep down the Mavs fans are worried about the Spurs now that we are playing well. Even though they beat us last year and they are on fire this season, deep down they are worried about facing us in the playoffs... :smokin

Dirkadirkastan
03-04-2007, 03:59 AM
We all know that deep down the Mavs fans are worried about the Spurs now that we are playing well. Even though they beat us last year and they are on fire this season, deep down they are worried about facing us in the playoffs... :smokin

That's what I'm asking. Was the entire first two-thirds of the season the abberation, or the last eight games? Which one is the fluke, and why? That would determine whether or not I should be concerned.

Kori Ellis
03-04-2007, 04:01 AM
That's what I'm asking. Was the entire first two-thirds of the season the abberation, or the last eight games? Which one is the fluke, and why? That would determine whether or not I should be concerned.

They finally started clicking defensively.

RussN
03-04-2007, 04:02 AM
lol when is the last time the spurs had a 15 game win streak. Oh, and I guess the other 35 wins were all against beatable teams too. We play the same teams bud.

As far as a 7 game series goes, If you make it to the WCF, I guess we'll find out

All ya'll do is talk crap back and forth. It doesn't really matter if Manu fouled with seconds left, or if some crappy Mavs player took out Derek Anderson while he was going to the hoop (can't remember who it was, long time ago), or if Mark Cuban talked crap on his blog about the RiverWalk, or if Steve Kerr knocked down cluch threes in '03. All that matters is that the Spurs have had three parades down the River and three championships.

Spurs fans enjoy it!!!! Mavs fans WANT it.

End of story.

I will enjoy going to every playoff game this year no matter win or lose, because at the end of the day, I can look up and see three championship banners and remember the fun times I had while the Spurs reached those goals. All Mavs fans can do is look up and see A....enphasis on A...Western Conference Championship banner, and remember how they couldn't get it done when it mattered the most.

windboy226
03-04-2007, 04:24 AM
Caught off guard? Twice?

You can't get on Mavs fan for claming a title in March, then claim victory for the Spurs in the same breath.

The Spurs are starting a nice roll right now which will hopefully last a while. The Mavs have been doing it all year and are currently the best team right now.

Can the Spurs win a 7 game series against Dallas? Absolutely.

Can the Spurs drop that same series? Absolutely.

This current run is great and we should enjoy it. IMO the Spurs are playing their best ball all year but let's not start claiming playoff glory until the playoffs start.

100% agree with everything said in this post..I wish more people on both sides could see this objectively. If the Spurs were in Dallas' position right now most Spurs fans would undoubtedly be talking about a title already while Dallas fans who discount the Spurs should have their heads examined. One play from last year's series and we'd still be talking about how we can't get past the Spurs.

jman3000
03-04-2007, 04:27 AM
is it just me... or has there been a second deluge of mav fans?

Kori Ellis
03-04-2007, 04:33 AM
is it just me... or has there been a second deluge of mav fans?

Yes there has been. They aren't that bad to converse with if Spurs fans would stop screaming "3 Rings! You have ZERO!" for a second and the Mavs fans would stop prematurely ejaculating their way to the title.

Capt Bringdown
03-04-2007, 04:49 AM
Dallas has so many weapons and they're laying it all on the line this year. No signs of discord that plagued the regular season monsters Pistons last year.
They're playing good basketball and probably deserve to win this year.

It's a pivotal moment for both franchises, isn't it?

aaronstampler
03-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Spurs will most likely play the Lakers 1st round. Kobe might be able to lead the Lakers to 1 victory ,but thats all i see the Lakers winning is 1 game.

The toughest road to a title would be Hou-Phx-Dal-Det.
The most satisfying would be LAL-Phx-Dal-Mia.

Man In Black
03-04-2007, 05:27 AM
Mavs are champs of what exactly?

I did notice Dirk say that even if a team went 82-0 in the REGULAR season, that if a championship ain't won, then the season is a failure.

Using Hasselhoff's favorite fan's opinion...The Mavs entire existence has been a failure. Sure the Spurs have failed, but they've succeeded thrice.

Defense looks good, ball rotation looks good. Dallas gets ORL after the Spurs took them to the woodshed and got pushed. Who knows what it means. Those 3 streaks of 12 games are an awesome thing, so is having 10 straight seasons of winning on the road. Longevity is a cornerstone of a potential dynasty.

Dalhoop
03-04-2007, 08:21 AM

Thank you for actually remembering the games. If the Mavs make a tip-in it ends in 5, that would be a domination. But they didn't and the only thing Spurs fans remember is a foul in game seven.

Now have the Mavs improved? I don't think that even Spurs fans would say "No" to that one.

Have the Spurs improved? There is some question to that isn't there? Someone said they improved "If" this and that happens.

Dispite health concerns last year, look at the numbers from the big three. Do you expect more from them this year? I remember in one game all three got 30+ points (It was a loss) .... Do you really expect more production from them?

I do think the Manu of the bench is a great idea. It gives the second team a playmaker removing the absolute need for Udrih to touch the ball and allows the Spurs to score during "bench players" stretches .... Manu playing against second team defenders doesn't hurt either :)

I think that this would have worked better vs the Mavs if the Spurs sprang it on them in the playoffs ... Doing it now allows the Mavs to see it before it happens (I would think that George would come off the bench to cover Manu with harris starting instead of the other way around)

My point is this, As well as the big three played last year, they were very close to being embaraced and going home in five games. The Mavs have improved. To stay the same would put the Spurs even closer to the five game embarassment they dodged last year, to improve slightly would keep them below the Mavs (At the seven game point of last year). To overtake the Mavs, they need a REAL improvement .... Something that I have not seen this year from them.

Sure their defense is going great ... Not a real suprise on this end, who here didn't think they would get their act together?

As someone already stated, Its about match-ups. Parker and Terry cancel out as do Manu - Howard, Duncan - Dirk. Who stops the speed of Harris? Can the Spurs match a bench of Stackhouse, George and Buckner? Whats the plan when Elson get three quick fouls guarding Dirk? You know he will.

They need to play "Piston" basket ball to win vs the Mavs. In the Playoffs they tried to outscore us and couldn't do it. Without "Lockdown" defense, the Spurs cannot win ... Their defense IS that good vs Atlanta and Orlando. The Mavs are a little better then those two teams.

1Parker1
03-04-2007, 08:40 AM

:lmao Good thing you're not on the Mavs team then. I've read repeatedly quotes from Stackhouse/Terry, etc. that this season to go through the West, they know they are going to have to beat the Spurs. They don't care about the Rockets, the Suns, the Jazz, etc. They know they can beat them. Spurs are the only team to have Finals experience of the lot and to top it off, they have 3 rings to the Mavs 0. You think the Mavs are underestimating the Spurs? Good thing you're not head coach of the Mavs. :rolleyes

As to the topic of this thread...it's almost as bad as Mavs fans guaranteeing they are going to win it all this season. I still highly doubt that the Spurs will be able to beat the Mavs in a 7 game series. Spurs have a lot of holes in their roster and a lot of question marks which are currently being hidden by a 7 game win streak. Who's to say Finley/Barry/Horry won't return to their brick-shooting ways? Who's to say Parker is going to get healthy? Who's to say Elson/Vaughn will continue to play the way he's been playing? Who's to say this years Spurs version of small ball will be able to counter an improved Mavs team?

Mavs are deep in every position and to top it off, Dirk has finally shown his ability to come through in the clutch for the team...something which I think he lacked last season. It won't be an easy series, probably a close one.

crazyfool42
03-04-2007, 08:44 AM

im worried about beating a healthy Suns team, and then the Jazz, then the Rockets, but the Spurs arent even a test anymore. even on their homecourt, the AAC South :lol

i'd be worried of getting tagged "the buffalo bills of the nba". how does a team lose to the heat in the finals? the heat for crying out loud!!!

:donkey

mabber
03-04-2007, 09:34 AM
How can Mavs fans say they dominated that series when it went into overtime

How can you attribute this to all Mav fans? :rolleyes Why is it that every time a Mav fan posts something it becomes what all Mav fans think? This happens continually here. If you want to disagree or comment about a post then target the person that posted it.

mabber
03-04-2007, 09:39 AM

I'd be worried about facing the Spurs regardless of their regular season play. Their core has won multiple titles so they are due respect. Does this make you feel better?

mabber
03-04-2007, 09:44 AM
When will you stiffs learn that basketball is a game of matchups? Ever wonder why some teams with bad records routinely beat or play extremely competitive against other teams with a much better record? That's due to matchups. The regular season is a fine indicator, but it comes down to matchups in the playoffs. In my opinion the Spurs match up much better against Dallas this year (than last) IF Elson continues to improve defensively and on the boards, and the big 3 are healthy. Whoever won 60 or 70 games in the regular season won't matter when two teams match up for a best of 7. It's going to be close and hard fought because the teams match up pretty evenly. The Mavs matchup well on the perimeter, but have no inside game compared to Duncan and the Spurs. It'll be fun to watch.

Quit making sense. It apparently is not allowed in this forum :lol

Clutch20
03-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Whichever way you look at it Mabber, if we connect at WFC it's gonna be one sonovabitchin' browwiping cupcrushing fingernail biting expletive generating chance to see who the goddam last team standing will be!

dallasmavsnfuego214
03-04-2007, 10:14 AM
i don't agree with my fellow mavs fan who is just having some fun ticking you off...sure i respect the spurs, they're a great team...as for their fans, i respect some and i laugh at others

yeah i just wanted to get a reaction.

the funny thing is that they have an eight game win streak and they talk about what a big threat they are when we have been doing this all season :lol i guess the fact that they won three rings gives them the upper hand in the series, even though we have more wins, we lead 2-1, and we eliminated them last year

Mavs are Champs
03-04-2007, 10:22 AM
I think its going to be a great series. My only question about this thread is why their is a double standard by some when looking at the regular season. Dallas has been great, yada yada yada, everyone will admitt that; but then say that the only thing that matters is the playoffs. On the other side you have the Spurs, who have put together their first significant streak of the season, and all of a sudden they are the king shits of the world; an all out gelled defensively superior power house that will be unbeatable come playoff time. So if Mavs can't judge the regular season success that they are having this year as a litmus test, I don't see how the Spurs fan can use this little spurt as the be all, tell all moment in NBA history :spin

samikeyp
03-04-2007, 10:37 AM
How can you attribute this to all Mav fans? Why is it that every time a Mav fan posts something it becomes what all Mav fans think? This happens continually here. If you want to disagree or comment about a post then target the person that posted it.

Probably for the same reason that there are some Mavs fans, like nfuego, Dalhoop, Leonard and others who do the same to Spurs fans.

spursrule32
03-04-2007, 11:03 AM
it's not b/c of the confidence in the reg season - it's the confidence in the play of the Spurs supporting players. Our big 3 have been playing some of their best basketball ever this whole season. It's just now that the supporting cast has started to play - mainly elson, finley, barry and vaughn. If you're a Spurs fan watching these guys start to play together the way they are then you have to like what you see.

The_Worlds_finest
03-04-2007, 11:06 AM
this thread has turned into a bunch of idiot bandwagon fans trolling. I will restate the fact Spurs will not lose this year to the mavs. Spurs team is more balanced and can attack teams and defend teams of all types this year. But the biggest difference is SPURS HAVE A CORE OF CHAMPS...true champs not wanna be champs...that is going to be the biggest difference

Mavs are Champs
03-04-2007, 11:20 AM
this thread has turned into a bunch of idiot bandwagon fans trolling. I will restate the fact Spurs will not lose this year to the mavs. Spurs team is more balanced and can attack teams and defend teams of all types this year. But the biggest difference is SPURS HAVE A CORE OF CHAMPS...true champs not wanna be champs...that is going to be the biggest difference

:lol You are funny!! You are saying that the Mavs aren't balanced? and... I could go on but i cant stop laughing :lol :lol :lol

Man In Black
03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
What exactly are the mavs champs of again?

Until they get one, then we can still call your team, the Mav-Nots. :)

duncanchick21
03-04-2007, 12:39 PM
yeah, mavs are champs your funny! don't get me wrong you did "dominate" us in playoffs just like you did in the finals!!! GO SPURS GO!!! THE SPURS ARE TRUE CHAMPS!!! :clap :lol

dirk4mvp
03-04-2007, 12:42 PM
same old shit

Shank
03-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Lame thread.

Off to masturbate to the Sears catalog...

Man In Black
03-04-2007, 12:48 PM
It's going to be this vicious cycle until the Mavericks actually win one and even be more convincing if they go through SA this year, should they happen to meet.

Didn't Hasslehoff's favorite fan just say to Laura Green that it don't mean anything until you win a ring.

That is why Spur Fan has you right now and will continue to fight this fight. That and that it indeed took a former Spur to get you to an elite level :fro

Mavs are Champs
03-04-2007, 12:51 PM
What exactly are the mavs champs of again?

Until they get one, then we can still call your team, the Mav-Nots. :)

Where do you get the idea that I crowned the Mavs champs in that last statement???? If we are talking about the basketball being played this year, I don't think that the Spurs can just write off the Mavs like they are nothing.

If you are talking about my screen name,, read my signature,,, either way that response makes no sense regarding anything we are talking about

Mavs are Champs
03-04-2007, 12:58 PM
It's going to be this vicious cycle until the Mavericks actually win one and even be more convincing if they go through SA this year, should they happen to meet.

Didn't Hasslehoff's favorite fan just say to Laura Green that it don't mean anything until you win a ring.

That is why Spur Fan has you right now and will continue to fight this fight. That and that it indeed took a former Spur to get you to an elite level :fro

I agree that the only way most spurs fans will acknowledge the Mavs as legitimate is after they win a ring. The mavs could go on and beat the Spurs in the playoffs for the next ten years in a row, and Spurs fans would still say they had a better team each and every year because they won rings X amount of years ago.

I dont think Spurs Fan reasoning is very sound, but he has every reason to talk and fight back every step of the way, just like any Mav fan is and will do. What any mavs fan wants, more than anything else, is the championship, everything else is awesome, but not quite enough.

As for Avery, great coach that learned from a great coach; but hes not a Spur,, and He will end up being remembered as a Coach when all is said and done, not the Spurs PG

Dirk Nowitzki
03-04-2007, 02:05 PM
This year will be quite similar to 2001 to the spurs if the Mavs dont fuck around blowing leads. A sweep or at most 5 games is what I really expect this series to be. It will have very little drama assuming the Mavs dont fuck around.

tmtcsc
03-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Their worst nightmare is about to come true. After feeling that they made great strides last year (b4 choking to the Heat and after edging San Antonio), they now have a false sense of confidence that the regular season success will follow them into the playoffs.

Poor Dallas, they aren't going to reach the Finals this year and will have their hearts torn out by the Spurs. We're coming Dallas....and when we reach the Finals WE WILL FINISH the job and raise another Championship banner.

8 wins in a row means nothing compared to the fact that our defense is starting to take shape. We may even drop a few more reg season game. No worries. It's all about being the best in the second season.

DubMcDub
03-04-2007, 03:01 PM
We may even drop a few more reg season game. No worries. It's all about being the best in the second season.

Which is particularly scary considering that the Mavs have never been able to beat the Spurs during the playoffs.

.....wait. :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
03-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Spurs fans are overconfident like crazy.

It's embarrassing.

Dirkadirkastan
03-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Who cares if Mavs fans are overconfident, the team will never be. They refuse to discuss win streaks, they only consider teams with titles as the big dogs, and they constantly remind everyone they haven't done anything yet.

False sense of confidence, my ass.

DubMcDub
03-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Who cares if Mavs fans are overconfident, the team will never be. They refuse to discuss win streaks, they only consider teams with titles as the big dogs, and they constantly remind everyone they haven't done anything yet.

False sense of confidence, my ass.

She said Spurs fans....

schadenfreude52
03-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Their worst nightmare is about to come true. After feeling that they made great strides last year (b4 choking to the Heat and after edging San Antonio), they now have a false sense of confidence that the regular season success will follow them into the playoffs.

Mavs fans may be overconfident, but the team itself is not.

It sounds like you're the overconfident one...

schadenfreude52
03-04-2007, 03:12 PM
She said Spurs fans....

What? I don't see anything wrong with what he said.

Dirkadirkastan
03-04-2007, 03:14 PM
I was responding to the original post. I hadn't seen Kori's response.

DubMcDub
03-04-2007, 03:15 PM
I was responding to the original post. I hadn't seen Kori's response.

Ah I got it now. Sorry about that.

Nero
03-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Stupid.

Kori Ellis
03-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Merged

tmtcsc
03-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Mavs fans may be overconfident, but the team itself is not.

It sounds like you're the overconfident one...

Apparently I'm embarrassingly overconfident. Nice.... that's friggin weak.
Apparently some Spurs fans are really in awe of your Mavs. Perhaps you should make room on your bandwagon for them.

All year long the Spurs have had to hear how great the Mavs are and how the Spurs can't hang with them. Motivation, focus and effort wont be an issue. And despite some of their own fans' lack of confidence, they will return to the Finals.

Win or lose, the April game doesn't mean jack. I've been waiting all year for the Spurs to start coming around and now you can see signs of it.

Avery is doing everything he can to keep his team from becoming complacent. It's a comedy routine when he does the Galloway show. You can see it coming. Dominate in the regular season and ripe to be taken down in the playoffs.

Clutch20
03-04-2007, 03:34 PM
I think its going to be a great series. My only question about this thread is why their is a double standard by some when looking at the regular season. Dallas has been great, yada yada yada, everyone will admitt that; but then say that the only thing that matters is the playoffs. On the other side you have the Spurs, who have put together their first significant streak of the season, and all of a sudden they are the king shits of the world; an all out gelled defensively superior power house that will be unbeatable come playoff time. So if Mavs can't judge the regular season success that they are having this year as a litmus test, I don't see how the Spurs fan can use this little spurt as the be all, tell all moment in NBA history :spin
Simple:

Mavs use Spurs as a yardstick

Spurs use Spurs as a yardstick
Spurs today saw that Spurs 05/06 were farther along at that time than they are right now

Whothahell else are you gonna use for comparisons?

The Sun"s?
Ok.
Then you'll probably be one happy puppy.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2007, 03:36 PM
They finally started clicking defensively.
And fighting for rebounds, and running after turnovers, and penetrating and kicking out, and aggressively double teaming, and setting hard picks, and playing for 36 minutes in a row. I'd say they are playing for 48 minutes in a row but they've so far been able to end the games in about 36.

dg7md
03-04-2007, 03:37 PM
All of these topics are always the same. :lol

Mavs fans: We can beat the Spurs this year, Mavs will be champs!
Spurs fans: Ha... think you can do that in the playoffs, Mavs can't beat us! 3 rings! You... ZERO!!

Both sides are really getting tedious here.

Clutch20
03-04-2007, 03:42 PM
(quote)Their worst nightmare is about to come true. After feeling that they made great strides last year (b4 choking to the Heat and after edging San Antonio), they now have a false sense of confidence .......

WORD!

Clutch20
03-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Spurs fans are overconfident like crazy.

It's embarrassing.
Kori you made me think about this.
I think I'll borrow your phrase but change it a little bit don't get sore.

"Spurs fans are overconfident like crazy Manu!

himat
03-04-2007, 03:57 PM
I think the teams that face the Spurs, Suns, and Mavs in the first round will play a huge factor in who makes it to the Finals. Denver will have a low seed, but they have an explosive combo. Even if the Spurs, Suns, or Mavs get by a team like Denver it will take a toll on them.

Injuries play a huge factor too, and there is still time for that to happen. D Wade's injury helped the Pistons in 05, at the same time Sheed's injury helped Miami in 06. Richard Jefferson getting injured when the Nets were beating Miami helped the Heat in 06 as well. Duncan having multiple foot injuries effected the Spurs in the playoffs. Amare, and Joe Johnson's injuries changed the Suns. There is a lot of time for things to change.

tmtcsc
03-04-2007, 04:04 PM
The difference between being Overconfident and just plain Confident is that Spurs fans have seen first hand what it takes to win it all. Not come close, not have a great regular season, not beating up on the wannabes of the league etc. Starting and finishing.

Most people in here would agree that the Spurs' problem has been a lack of focus and determination. Some would say (David Chancellor, Don Harris, Walter P.) that we are just too old and slow..(P.S. Does anyone remeber the Celtics championship teams of the 80's ? Those athletic, alley-oop throwing, fast breaking Celtics ? Me neither.)

I think its been mental. It's been a "wake me when the playoffs are near" attitude that made them inconsistent. They can't help it. They understand its about playing your best when the playoffs start and being healthy.

Last year was last year and gave the Mavs confidence. Well, it gave the Spurs added motivation to the ultimate goal of winnning it all. I suspect they will have a little extra sumptin sumptin when they match up in the playoffs.

td4mvp21
03-04-2007, 04:08 PM
We are still way too cocky and prone to talking shit than we should be. I don't know why people are saying experience and Dallas choking will help us beat the Mavs...it didn't last year. Dallas are the favorites, we just need to accept that and hope that the Spurs man up and fucking play the best they can to beat them in the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Last I checked this is "Spurstalk". Spurs fans are going to be excited and confident on a Spurs board when the team is playing well and winning, especially when it's been a LONG time since they've had a stretch like this. The only thing more annoying than the endlessly multiplying Mavs fans on this board is fellow Spurs fans trying to throw cold water on the excitement. I love the Spurs, I want them to win. If they lose I'll be devastated. If I want to be "overconfident" I will be. It doesn't make someone a better Spurs fan because they kiss the asses of the Mavericks fans.

I was confident last year too, all the way up until Pop suddenly and inexplicably jerked everyone who was tall and not named Duncan out of the rotation just because nobody bothered to show up for game 2. If something fucked up like that happens, my confidence will suffer. Right now it's looking rosy.

tmtcsc
03-04-2007, 04:21 PM
We are still way too cocky and prone to talking shit than we should be. I don't know why people are saying experience and Dallas choking will help us beat the Mavs...it didn't last year. Dallas are the favorites, we just need to accept that and hope that the Spurs man up and fucking play the best they can to beat them in the playoffs.

Fortunately, "we" pertains to fans being cocky. I am sure the Spurs want to go through Dallas on the way to the finals but they know it means continuing to improve.

I'm a cocky fan that is finally having a little fun talking shit because my boys are starting to get their shit together and are going on a nice little jog.

BTW, what year was it that we went on a 19 game winning streak ? I think it was '95 right ?

tmtcsc
03-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Last I checked this is "Spurstalk". Spurs fans are going to be excited and confident on a Spurs board when the team is playing well and winning, especially when it's been a LONG time since they've had a stretch like this. The only thing more annoying than the endlessly multiplying Mavs fans on this board is fellow Spurs fans trying to throw cold water on the excitement. I love the Spurs, I want them to win. If they lose I'll be devastated. If I want to be "overconfident" I will be. It doesn't make someone a better Spurs fan because they kiss the asses of the Mavericks fans.

I was confident last year too, all the way up until Pop suddenly and inexplicably jerked everyone who was tall and not named Duncan out of the rotation just because nobody bothered to show up for game 2. If something fucked up like that happens, my confidence will suffer. Right now it's looking rosy.

Nicely put. This is a FORUM !!! Talk all the shit you want and have some fun. Stop getting nervous or uptight.

aaronstampler
03-04-2007, 04:26 PM

Because the Spurs are an older team and they were intigrating a new center into their team/system. It'd be unrealistic to expect them to play great from the jump. I don't think any Spurs fan is saying we're way better than Dallas. All we're saying is when we play our A game then we can beat anybody, including Dallas. It's too bad both teams can't start the playoffs tomorrow.

aaronstampler
03-04-2007, 04:29 PM
The difference between being Overconfident and just plain Confident is that Spurs fans have seen first hand what it takes to win it all. Not come close, not have a great regular season, not beating up on the wannabes of the league etc. Starting and finishing.

Most people in here would agree that the Spurs' problem has been a lack of focus and determination. Some would say (David Chancellor, Don Harris, Walter P.) that we are just too old and slow..(P.S. Does anyone remeber the Celtics championship teams of the 80's ? Those athletic, alley-oop throwing, fast breaking Celtics ? Me neither.)

I think its been mental. It's been a "wake me when the playoffs are near" attitude that made them inconsistent. They can't help it. They understand its about playing your best when the playoffs start and being healthy.

Last year was last year and gave the Mavs confidence. Well, it gave the Spurs added motivation to the ultimate goal of winnning it all. I suspect they will have a little extra sumptin sumptin when they match up in the playoffs.

I know you're being sarcastic, but those Celtics teams DID have a good fast break. That 86 team averaged more points per game than Phx does now. You don't do that without a good fast break.

aaronstampler
03-04-2007, 04:31 PM
I think the teams that face the Spurs, Suns, and Mavs in the first round will play a huge factor in who makes it to the Finals. Denver will have a low seed, but they have an explosive combo. Even if the Spurs, Suns, or Mavs get by a team like Denver it will take a toll on them.

Injuries play a huge factor too, and there is still time for that to happen. D Wade's injury helped the Pistons in 05, at the same time Sheed's injury helped Miami in 06. Richard Jefferson getting injured when the Nets were beating Miami helped the Heat in 06 as well. Duncan having multiple foot injuries effected the Spurs in the playoffs. Amare, and Joe Johnson's injuries changed the Suns. There is a lot of time for things to change.

I don't know about y'all, but Denver is no problem for us. We've packed their shit in twice already. They don't match up well against us at all. Their starting guards are small and terrible defensively and our guys can go right by them or just shoot over them.

aaronstampler
03-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Saying the Mavs should've won in 5 last year is disengenuous. The only games of the series that were decisive wins at all were Games 2 for Dallas and Game 6 for SA. The other five were games that could've gone either way.

And don't get me started about Games 3 and 4 when Dallas got every single whistle. I have a feeling it's not gonna happen that way this time.

lurker
03-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Everyone is already talking about a Mavs/Spurs WCF. :lol I don't think people are giving the Suns enough credit.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Because the Spurs are an older team and they were intigrating a new center into their team/system. It'd be unrealistic to expect them to play great from the jump. I don't think any Spurs fan is saying we're way better than Dallas. All we're saying is when we play our A game then we can beat anybody, including Dallas. It's too bad both teams can't start the playoffs tomorrow.
Um, we're way better than Dallas.

Add Elson, Bonner and Vaughn to last year's team and an Oberto that knows the system well enough to use up his six fouls and that's an improvement to me. That doesn't even include having Parker, Ginobili and Duncan all healthy, which none were last May. The guys the Spurs lost didn't contribute at all in the playoffs so the team has to be much improved. Add to that the fact that they are playing more like a team than the guys who cruised to 63 wins last year did at any given stretch.

The Mavs have added Greg Buckner, Austin Croshere and Devean George to a team that lost Keith Van Horn and Darrell Armstrong (who both produced against the Spurs) and Marquis Daniels. The Mavs were probably as good last year as they are this year but fought nagging injuries to a number of key guys throughout the season and still ended up with a great record. If there's an X factor, it's probably got to be Erick Dampier, who has shown signs of life for the first time this season.

tmtcsc
03-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I know you're being sarcastic, but those Celtics teams DID have a good fast break. That 86 team averaged more points per game than Phx does now. You don't do that without a good fast break.

Those guys played smart basketball and ran great fast breaks. I just don't recall the alley oops and reverse dunks. Those Celtic teams were very balanced both offensively and defensively. They beat up on most everyone.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2007, 04:42 PM
And don't get me started about Games 3 and 4 when Dallas got every single whistle. I have a feeling it's not gonna happen that way this time.

You must not have watched the Cavs/Mavs game the other night. If anyone wants to beat the Mavs, they are going to have to make sure it isn't a close game.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Right, but the point is you don't have to be athletic to have a good fast break. Hence the ridiculousness of the "old" argument.

himat
03-04-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't know about y'all, but Denver is no problem for us. We've packed their shit in twice already. They don't match up well against us at all. Their starting guards are small and terrible defensively and our guys can go right by them or just shoot over them.

I'm just saying that Carmelo and Iverson will take a toll on the opposition. Even if you guys win, or Dallas, or Phoenix. I mean would you rather face the Nuggets in the first round or a the Hornets?

The_Worlds_finest
03-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Well we all know the nugs are sore losers and I rather have the Spurs face a team who doesnt try and hurt one of your key players.

And all this yap of over confident shit talking is pretty funny. If you watch the Spurs you know this is when they start to get it going for the season that matters and the 8 game blow out victories are something to take into consideration, these games are pretty much totally dominated by Spurs style tempo.

When you compare a tested and successful Championship team rolling like the Spurs are compared to a tested and failed team rolling like the Mavs are...guess who is going to get the benefit of the doubt...

Granted a healthy Spurs team its looking like a 6 game series at most...

DubMcDub
03-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Granted a healthy Spurs team its looking like a 6 game series at most...

Sweet jesus Kori was right. How delusional are some of you guys? :lol :lol

FromWayDowntown
03-04-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm not going to re-hash the rest of the arguments in this thread, except to say that any Spurs fans who think beating Dallas is some sort of foregone conclusion is absolutely delusional.

What did catch my attention is this:

As for Avery, great coach that learned from a great coach; but hes not a Spur,, and He will end up being remembered as a Coach when all is said and done, not the Spurs PG

I think that's probably true in the minds of Mavericks fans. I don't think it's true about basketball people in general. Even now, when the Mavericks are on television and there is a discussion about Avery Johnson, there's always some point of that discussion that points back to Avery's roots in San Antonio. That will remain true for a very long time, and as long as it does, AJ will be seen as a Spur, as he should be.

dirk4mvp
03-04-2007, 08:21 PM
^ Even though some Spur fans call him a traitor cockroach because he coaches the Mavs nowadays.

Dirkadirkastan
03-04-2007, 08:33 PM
It depends on the kind of legacy he has as a coach. He wasn't that great of a player, but he was a big part of a champion team.

If he's a part of a bunch of champion teams as a coach, which he may very well be since he's already been the finals in his first full year, then he'll probably be primarlily remembered as a coach. Except possibly for nostalgic Spurs fans of course, and understandably so.

Mavs are Champs
03-04-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm not going to re-hash the rest of the arguments in this thread, except to say that any Spurs fans who think beating Dallas is some sort of foregone conclusion is absolutely delusional.

What did catch my attention is this:

I think that's probably true in the minds of Mavericks fans. I don't think it's true about basketball people in general. Even now, when the Mavericks are on television and there is a discussion about Avery Johnson, there's always some point of that discussion that points back to Avery's roots in San Antonio. That will remain true for a very long time, and as long as it does, AJ will be seen as a Spur, as he should be.

I think you are right at this point in time, but if were to ever become a multiple title coach, which in his second full year he already has a shot at his first, then I think his legacy will be coach first. To not remember him as a pg is asinine, I just think Avery coach vs. Avery the PG, the coach wins out if he keeps up his current pace

dav4463
03-04-2007, 09:28 PM
They don't give trophies for winning the regular season. Let's go SPURS ! Spurs say they are built for the playoffs....time to prove it on the court.