PDA

View Full Version : Article on Parker's Bro

Kori Ellis
11-16-2004, 03:28 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-nu16.html

Wildcats, Parker aiming higher

November 16, 2004

BY BRIAN HANLEY Staff Re

For Northwestern to have a shot at success this season, T.J. Parker knows his has to be much more accurate.

''I shot poorly last year,'' said Parker, whose basketball bloodline includes brother Tony of the San Antonio Spurs and father Tony, who played professionally in Europe for 15 years. ''I heard it from my dad and my brother because I never averaged under 10 points in my whole career of playing basketball. They told me, 'It's all right, just come back next year and step up as a leader and take your team to the NIT or the NCAA tournament.'

''So that's what I've got to do.''

Parker's preparation to improve on his average of 8.8 points per game as a sophomore began in earnest eight months ago.

''The day after the season ended, he's in my office, and he said, 'Coach, let's go to work on this shot,''' NU coach Bill Carmody said. ''He sort of gave himself over to us. When there is no resistance, then the learning curve is high.''

Carmody told not only Parker but also Mohamed Hachad and St. John's transfer Tim Doyle to focus only on shooting during the summer. ''I said, 'Don't play any games or three-on-three or any of that kind of junk; just get tendinitis in your elbow and your shoulders from shooting the hell out of the ball all the time,''' Carmody said.

''Because at the end of all the stuff you're running -- cutting, moving, passing, picks and screens -- somebody's open with the ball, and you've got to put it in the basket. T.J. had a great year last year except that he didn't make shots. He didn't want that to happen again.''

So, Parker took between 200 and 300 shots each offseason day while at NU.

''Then I went to San Antonio and was with my brother for a month,'' said Parker, who added 10 pounds to his 6-2 frame. ''We would work in the morning for about three hours. It was real hard. The [weight] lifting was way different than in college; it was so heavy. It was everything. We had to go to the track twice a week like at 8 in the morning, and I'm on vacation. But with all those things, I can feel that I'm in better shape right now. I can feel the difference with my jumper; I can't miss any more. It feels real good.''

As does the buzz around the Evanston campus that this team can make the 100th season of NU hoops a memorable one. There are heightened expectations for Carmody's crew, which returns four starters from last season's 14-15 team. NU also adds impressive newcomers in Doyle, Duke's 6-10, 250-pound Michael Thompson and freshman guard Brandon Lee from Peoria, all of whom should see many minutes.

''They're coming along,'' Parker said of his newest teammates. ''Tim Doyle, he's got it with the offense. He's a real good player, a smart player. Michael Thompson, he's real big and strong. He's going to be a good fit for us because we've never had a big guy that was dominant. He's not just physical, he's also real fast. I think on defense he'll help us a lot inside getting some rebounds and blocking some shots. In the low post, I think he can score any time he wants. And Brandon Lee has been good from the start; he will be able to come in and give me a [rest].''

Parker said the team shares the excitement that fans have for a special season and knows the void of passion and talent left by the graduation of captain Jitim Young needs to be filled.

''Jitim was a great leader on and off the court last year,'' Parker said. ''It's tough to replace that guy; he was the best rebounding guard I've ever seen in my life.

''Me, Mohamed, Vedran [Vukusic] and Davor [Duvancic], we're veterans now. The leadership is going to come from us. I'm the point guard, so I have to lead this team; every play we run starts with me.''

Carmody is careful to temper talk of last season's ''success,'' which was accompanied by him earning Big Ten coach of the year honors.

''To be 8-8 [in the conference] at Northwestern, people were jumping up and down,'' Carmody said. ''We had a solid year in the conference last year -- that's all. Like I've said, 8-8 and to be coach of the year, it's a little crazy. But I did accept the award. I didn't turn it down.

''But I [told the team], 'We haven't done anything yet.' So now, let's take that challenge. I'm hopeful that they're wise enough to realize that.''

spur219
11-16-2004, 05:51 PM
TJ Parker was an about an average PG last season. We will see what he can do this following year.

Solid D
11-16-2004, 06:20 PM
If TJ can up his game a few notches....

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/ParkerBros/ParkerBros-Logo.jpg

http://www.jigsawjungle.com/images/games/monogm.gif

exstatic
11-16-2004, 06:41 PM
:lmao If he ratchets up his game, spurs will never get a whiff of him in the draft. It's a http://jollyroger.com/catch22.gif

timvp
11-16-2004, 06:43 PM
I've played against TJ and let's just say that he'll make the NBA ...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0689849516.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Solid D
11-16-2004, 07:31 PM
:lol

1Parker1
11-16-2004, 10:21 PM
You played ball with him TimVP? That's so awesome ! So you ever play with Tony? :)

timvp
11-17-2004, 04:11 AM
Tony Parker would destroy most people in the world. I'm glad I never played against him.

I played against TJ when he was like 16-17 and I think I was 19. I wasn't too impressed. I blocked him like five times in one game. That's my claim to fame:)

P.S.

Man, I suuuuuuuck now. I used to play bball like 4-5 hours a day then. Now I play once every couple months.