PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Parker will continue to rest hip

Kori Ellis
03-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Spurs notebook: Parker will continue to rest hip

Web Posted: 03/04/2007 12:29 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030407.10C.BKNspurs.parker.3c25af8.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

HOUSTON — Tony Parker missed his second game of the season Saturday with what Spurs officials called a left hip flexor strain.

Coach Gregg Popovich didn't appear too worried about the injury, calling Parker "day to day."

Parker, still limping noticeably as he left the Toyota Center on Saturday, said there's a good chance he'll miss Monday's game in Los Angeles against the Clippers, but hopes to play at some point during the road trip. The Spurs play Tuesday in Portland and Thursday in Sacramento.

Parker suffered the injury in the first half of Friday's victory over Orlando. He complained about his hip during halftime, but played in the second half.

"I'm not really sure how I did it," Parker said. "I think I made some defensive move and felt it. I thought it was my groin. That's bothered me in the past, so I thought it was no big deal and played.

"But after the game (his hip) was pretty sore."

Parker had a rough night against the Magic, missing seven of his 11 shots and totaling eight points, four assists and four turnovers. Team officials said Parker was in obvious pain after the game.

"It's everybody's concern to get into the playoffs healthy," Popovich said. "We all want to win all the games and position ourselves seeding-wise, but we all know that health at the end of the year is most important."

Yao nearing return: Houston officials haven't given a date for Yao Ming's return, which prompted some speculation he might try to play Saturday.

That wasn't the case, and coach Jeff Van Gundy said he wasn't sure if the Rockets would have their center back in the lineup for their upcoming trip to Cleveland and Boston.

Yao, who has missed the past 32 games after suffering a small fracture near his right knee on Dec. 23, participated in his first contact practice Thursday. He flew home from Denver to be examined by team physicians.

"There's conflicting opinions," Van Gundy said. "I don't really know. Whatever they say is what we'll do."

Ely sighting: Melvin Ely made his first appearance since the Spurs acquired him from Charlotte on Feb. 13.

Ely had spent the previous seven games on the inactive list, but was in uniform Saturday with Parker sidelined. Popovich, who has said he hopes to get Ely some minutes in the coming week so the team can evaluate him, put him on the floor midway through the fourth quarter.

Ely had two points and two rebounds in seven minutes.

Briefly: Saturday's victory assured the Spurs of a winning road record for the 10th consecutive season, tying them with the Boston Celtics (1959-68) for second place all-time. Only the Los Angeles Lakers, who didn't have a losing road record for 12 seasons from 1979-90, have a longer streak. ...

Popovich has been disappointed to see Air Force drop its past three games, but he thinks he has the solution to the Falcons' problems. "I think they should be taken off of all military inspections. They shouldn't have to go to class the rest of the year," said Popovich, who graduated from the Academy in 1970. ...

Visiting teams are usually at a disadvantage when having to play on consecutive nights. But try telling that to the Rockets. They didn't get back from Friday's victory in Denver until 3:30 a.m. "Certainly these guys have had it beaten in their heads so much by so many about how hard it is to play back-to-back," Van Gundy said. "As a coach it makes you a little uneasy. It's not as hard physically as it is mentally."

SRJ
03-04-2007, 02:27 AM
They didn't get back from Friday's victory in Denver until 3:30 a.m. "Certainly these guys have had it beaten in their heads so much by so many about how hard it is to play back-to-back," Van Gundy said. "As a coach it makes you a little uneasy. It's not as hard physically as it is mentally."

I like Van Gundy, but I hate this bullshit. This isn't just him, a lot of coaches say this.

You're telling me playing a basketball game in altitude with a 9:30 (Houston time) start time, hopping onto an airplane, arriving at the Houston airport at 3:30 AM (and that's not asleep by 3:30 or even back at home by 3:30) and playing another basketball game 16 hours later is tougher on the player's minds rather than their bodies??

Please.

Kori Ellis
03-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Get well now before playoff time, Tony.

fred33
03-04-2007, 02:34 AM
i hope they'll rest tony i'm concern about his health

aaronstampler
03-04-2007, 02:41 AM
they shouldn't fool around with this. Let Tony take all the time he needs to get back to 100% and don't put him on the floor until then. We're not really playing anybody good this next week anyway.

I would say the play of Vaughn and Udrih in Parker's place was encouraging. Really both games Parker's missed this year we've won easily and scoring hasn't been a problem.

Kori Ellis
03-04-2007, 02:43 AM
The Spurs are very cautious with injuries. I'm sure he'll rest if he's not close to 100% percent.

aaronstampler
03-04-2007, 02:46 AM
Good chance it'll be a battle of the backup PGs on Monday since Cassell has a groin strain. He missed tonight's game too and it doesn't sound like the type of injury that'll go away real soon. He's old as shit as it is.

whottt
03-04-2007, 03:32 AM
I like Van Gundy.

I don't...and I no longer consider him to be a great coach either. He's probably the #1 ref whining coach in the NBA.

He did pretty good with Riley's teams but he's been a clear disappointment as the Rockets Head Coach and building his own team from scratch.

The Rockets keep throwing all the talent in the world at him too...

It's almost like he does better with less talent.

SRJ
03-04-2007, 03:48 AM
I don't...and I no longer consider him to be a great coach either. He's probably the #1 ref whining coach in the NBA.

He did pretty good with Riley's teams but he's been a clear disappointment as the Rockets Head Coach and building his own team from scratch.

The Rockets keep throwing all the talent in the world at him too...

It's almost like he does better with less talent.

Have Yao and McGrady ever been healthy at the same time except for 2005, when they battled Dallas to a seventh game in the first round? It seems like whenever Yao's healthy, McGrady gets hurt and vice versa.

Popovich didn't look so good in 1997 and 2000 when he had injuries to his star players.

Bruno
03-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Resting Parker will help him too to rest his knees.
I just hope it won't cost Spurs the 3rd seed. Utah has only one more loss and their schedule is quite easy. We need that Udrih/Vaughn continues to play well.

WalterBenitez
03-04-2007, 09:39 AM
TP must rest all the necessary time, we need him on playoffs ... that injury was made because of what? a move? not sure how painful is that!

bigfan
03-04-2007, 09:58 AM
I think resting Tony is a good thing too and gives Vaughan and Beno playing time to sharpen their skills before the playoffs. On a related thought, I am one of those who believe we should hold on to Beno, I think he plays the point pretty good overall and all this bench time has got to be a motivator for him. He sure seems to have the skills. If he were on another team, chances are he'd be starting.

ducks
03-04-2007, 10:00 AM
was not his benching last year suppose to motivate beno?

raspsa
03-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Resting Parker will help him too to rest his knees.
I just hope it won't cost Spurs the 3rd seed. Utah has only one more loss and their schedule is quite easy. We need that Udrih/Vaughn continues to play well.

Rest TP, no sense risking it. Vaughn playing very well. Beno showing increased confidence; the extra playing time will do him good.