PDA

View Full Version : Hudson to be eased back

ducks
01-22-2004, 02:09 PM
TIMBERWOLVES REPORT: Hudson to be eased back until the all-star break

BY MIKE WELLS, Pioneer Press

TORONTO — No matter how well Troy Hudson plays in the next three weeks, Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders doesn't plan to use the point guard more than about 20 minutes a game.

Saunders said before Wednesday night's game that he wants Hudson to use the next few weeks before the all-star break as his training camp to work his way back from the right ankle injury that sidelined him for most of this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

"In preseason games, we play our veterans 20 to 24 minutes, so I think we're going to try to keep him in that range now," Saunders said. "He has that opportunity to get healthy. He has the all-star break to get some time off and get his body rejuvenated and then come back strong afterward."

Hudson returned to the lineup Monday against New Orleans after playing only 23 minutes in the previous 34 games. Hudson said earlier he wasn't himself when he made his season debut Dec. 20.

"Whenever he plays me, I'll be prepared for it," Hudson said. "My ankle is feeling great. You have to stay ready for when your name is called."

Saunders knows that Hudson probably wants to play more minutes, but said it's best that he work his way back slowly so he doesn't aggravate his ankle. Saunders also doesn't want Hudson to have his mind set on playing set minutes in case he needs to go to him in an emergency.