PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys sign Davis

mardigan
03-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Updated: March 4, 2007, 11:23 AM ET
Cowboys to add Davis to offensive lineBy Michael Smith
ESPN.com

The Dallas Cowboys are finalizing an agreement with free agent offensive lineman Leonard Davis, the second pick in the 2001 NFL draft who has played the last six seasons for the Arizona Cardinals, a source with knowledge of the negotiations told ESPN.com.

Top free agents

DavisOffensive tackle Leonard Davis is No. 8 on ESPN.com's list of the top NFL free agents on the market. Story

Davis, 6-feet-6, 366 pounds, is expected to play either right tackle or right guard for the Cowboys, depending on the resolution of contract talks with current Cowboys right tackle Marc Columbo, an unrestricted free agent the Cowboys hope to re-sign.

Davis' contract is expected to exceed the free agent deals of Bills guard Derrick Dockery (7 years, $49 million) and Browns guard Eric Steinbach (7 years, $49.5 million).

Davis visted the Washington Redskins and was considering a visit to the New York Giants, but decided on the Cowboys due to a desire to stay close to his hometown of Wortham, Texas, just south of Dallas.

Davis was an All-America tackle at the University of Texas, and played his first three seasons at guard for the Cardinals before switching to tackle the last three seasons.

Senior writer Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Fillmoe
03-04-2007, 03:05 PM
:lol :lol :lol

and you guys were saying Clements got overpaid......

Horry For 3!
03-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Yes sirrrrr, now we have a good offensive lineman that can play either RG or RT. Hopefully Davis will be motivated since he will be playing for his hometown team.

mardigan
03-04-2007, 04:22 PM

and you guys were saying Clements got overpaid......
30 million more for only one more extra year, yea Clements got overpaid

Mr Dio
03-04-2007, 04:27 PM
30 million more for only one more extra year, yea Clements got overpaid

My thoughts exactly.
Although, I haven't seen how either of them are structured.

JMarkJohns
03-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Yes sirrrrr, now we have a good offensive lineman that can play either RG or RT. Hopefully Davis will be motivated since he will be playing for his hometown team.

Why is nobody bringing up the obvious? How could a team in such dire need of offensive linemen be so willing to let go of one themselves? Money? Maybe... how about production? As someone who's watched them, I can tell you it's the latter. He's not very good and is never motivated. Also, the League trend is lighter/faster, something that Davis will never aid in. The two lightest teams in the NFL last year played in the Super Bowl. The two heaviest were the Raiders and the Cardinals, or two of the worst.

mardigan
03-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Why is nobody bringing up the obvious? How could a team in such dire need of offensive linemen be so willing to let go of one themselves? Money? Maybe... how about production? As someone who's watched them, I can tell you it's the latter. He's not very good and is never motivated. Also, the League trend is lighter/faster, something that Davis will never aid in. The two lightest teams in the NFL last year played in the Super Bowl. The two heaviest were the Raiders and the Cardinals, or two of the worst.
Marc Columbo wasnt shit until we got him last year, when he started all 16 games and played great, so hopefully they can turn him around

scott
03-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I hope we can turn Davis around, but his contract is a function of escalating prices in the market than his actual ability. Davis has been a huge bust, and is far from being a player who can be labeled as "good". If he wasn't a Longhorn, people on this board would more easily recognize his suckiness.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Colombo is different because he was always injured while in Chicago. He started 7 games in 3 years.

mardigan
03-04-2007, 07:13 PM
I realize he has been a huge bust, Im just hoping he turns it around

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Here's some contract details:

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network reports that the Cowboys have given offensive lineman Leonard Davis a seven-year, $49.6 million contract, with $18.75 million in guaranteed money and $24 million paid out over the first three years of the contract.

IMO, a horrible deal.

scott
03-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Oh, and we definitely overpaid. I'd rather give a CB who has never been to a ProBowl the largest DB contract in history than what we are paying Davis.

Pugglekicker_21
03-04-2007, 10:08 PM
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/image_lib/davis_leonard_091206_300.jpg

This guy was an badass at Texas but never really panned out in Arizona. Maybe a change of scenery will help? Point is, they have now partially fixed the o line. Next up, sign Colombo.

Spending spree
'Boys land OL Davis for nearly $50M; Glenn gets $5M

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- The Dallas Cowboys have agreed to terms with free agent offensive lineman Leonard Davis.

Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple confirmed the deal Sunday, but not the details of the agreement. He said a formal announcement by the team was expected Monday.

According to various reports, including a story posted on the team's Web site, Davis agreed to a seven-year contract worth nearly $50 million, including $18.75 million in guaranteed money.

Davis, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2001 draft out of Texas, spent his first six seasons with the Arizona Cardinals. He played guard for the first four seasons and switched to left tackle in 2004.

He started 91 games for the Cardinals, including all 16 last season, but never became the overpowering Pro Bowl-level player the team envisioned.

timvp
03-04-2007, 10:14 PM
$50M for Leonard freakin' Davis? Do they not get Sunday Ticket in Dallas?

He's consistently been one of the worst lineman in the game. Davis is 400 pounds of suck.

Pugglekicker_21
03-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Hmm, somehow my thread got absorbed by yours....

scott
03-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Point is, they have now partially fixed the o line. Next up, sign Colombo.

How does this qualify as fixing our O-line, even partially? All we did was shell out a huge amount of dough for a major bust to play a new position where he may not be an upgrade over the aging, broken vetern we had (Rivera)?

With that said, hopefully it is just a matter of a new scheme and scenery and he'll resurrect his career.

Colombo, is indeed a priority though.

Fillmoe
03-04-2007, 11:44 PM
$50M for Leonard freakin' Davis? Do they not get Sunday Ticket in Dallas?

He's consistently been one of the worst lineman in the game. Davis is 400 pounds of suck.

Exactly.... Atleast Nate Clements is a proven player! DAVIS IS A FUCKING BUST!

its funny how Dallas fans were in the Clements thread talking about how we overpaid for Clements and how bad of a signing it was, but in here they are praising giving Davis 50 mil..... Clements has proved to be a corner that can shutdown a WR.... Davis has been a bust for 6 years.... what makes you folks think hes gonna turn it around now?

mardigan
03-05-2007, 12:36 AM
How does this qualify as fixing our O-line, even partially? All we did was shell out a huge amount of dough for a major bust to play a new position where he may not be an upgrade over the aging, broken vetern we had (Rivera)?

With that said, hopefully it is just a matter of a new scheme and scenery and he'll resurrect his career.

Colombo, is indeed a priority though.
He can play both guard and tackle spots. I also never understood why Zona put him at guard coming out from Texas, they played him there for 3 years. Maybe stunted his potential a little

mardigan
03-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Exactly.... Atleast Nate Clements is a proven player! DAVIS IS A FUCKING BUST!

its funny how Dallas fans were in the Clements thread talking about how we overpaid for Clements and how bad of a signing it was, but in here they are praising giving Davis 50 mil..... Clements has proved to be a corner that can shutdown a WR.... Davis has been a bust for 6 years.... what makes you folks think hes gonna turn it around now?
I admit we overpayed for him, and him being 29 makes me wonder if he will ever get his shit together, but I guess you pay for potentail. On the other hand Clements did get overpayed, but you still cant admit that

RealEstateDude
03-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Anybody have any stats on how many sacks he gave up last year?

mardigan
03-05-2007, 12:49 AM
http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=5449&Submit=Go
8 sacks given up last year, 11 penalties, 9 false starts, 2 holding, not horrible

RealEstateDude
03-05-2007, 01:04 AM
http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=5449&Submit=Go
8 sacks given up last year, 11 penalties, 9 false starts, 2 holding, not horrible

8 sacks isn't exactly great but I'm hoping we move him to RG, that's where the big boy can shine..

Fillmoe
03-05-2007, 01:27 AM
you guys can have kwame harris too if you really want to solidify that right side of the line....

AFBlue
03-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Didn't Davis get a Pro-Bowl a couple years back? Davis may be overrated and now overpaid, but he CAN be a good OL. He's better than what Dallas has now...

scott
03-05-2007, 08:31 PM
8 sacks isn't exactly great but I'm hoping we move him to RG, that's where the big boy can shine..

Colombo only gave up 4.5 sacks, and had half as many penalties. If he ends up playing RT, this is worse than signing Vandersuck.

mardigan
03-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Yea, but its easier to not give up sacks if you have better linemen next to you, where Davis has had to lineup next to Milford Brown the last two years, and who knows before that. Bottom line is the Cards whole line sucked very badly, and Davis was one of their better players. If we can line him up next to Flozell or Colombo, I really think he will excell

scott
03-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Yea, but its easier to not give up sacks if you have better linemen next to you, where Davis has had to lineup next to Milford Brown the last two years, and who knows before that. Bottom line is the Cards whole line sucked very badly, and Davis was one of their better players. If we can line him up next to Flozell or Colombo, I really think he will excell

Yeah... Davis was so good that Arizona had no interest in keeping him.

You are trying to justify bro... Davis was NOT one of their better players. He has been a BUST and we overpaid BIG TIME.

mardigan
03-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah... Davis was so good that Arizona had no interest in keeping him.

You are trying to justify bro... Davis was NOT one of their better players. He has been a BUST and we overpaid BIG TIME.
So what, I tried to justify Vanderwack too, just hoping for the best ya know?

Oscar DeLa
03-06-2007, 12:57 AM
I don't know what it is but another Longhorn payday!

scott
03-06-2007, 01:00 AM
So what, I tried to justify Vanderwack too, just hoping for the best ya know?

Hey man, I'm hoping for the best too... but no need to lie to ourselves in the meantime. Let's be realistic, so if Davis does turn it around its a nice surprise rather than be disappointed when he is what he is.

mardigan
03-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Alright, agreed

timvp
03-06-2007, 01:48 AM
http://www.knicksonline.com/images/players/big/Jerome_James_250.jpg

The NFL version.

samikeyp
12-19-2007, 11:37 AM
bump for the Pro Bowl.

:smokin

BeerIsGood!
12-19-2007, 11:43 AM
That so-called fat, unmotivated sack of shit Davis just proved what everyone else should have already known...

Everything sucks worse in Arizona.

Guy has been a pure beast this year and has been very good in pass protection. Looks like a good signing now.

BeerIsGood!
12-19-2007, 11:44 AM
http://www.knicksonline.com/images/players/big/Jerome_James_250.jpg

The NFL version.

:rollin Who wrote this?

Stick to NBA bro.

monosylab1k
12-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Makes you wonder even more about the total incompetence of everybody in the Arizona organization. A guy built perfectly to play guard and the Cards force him to play tackle instead. He keeps failing miserably but they never move him. He leaves, moves to guard, and dominates.