PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what it is but Dockery to Buffalo

Oscar DeLa
03-04-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't know what it is but its payday! http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4646

Big Addition to Buffalo's Offensive Line

The Bills look to finally have a permanent answer for their left guard position as they signed Washington free agent guard Derrick Dockery to a multi-year deal on the first full day of free agency Friday.

"This is a beautiful thing," said Dockery. "I've had a great time on my visit here in Buffalo. It's a top notch organization, owner, coach, the players, the fans, the city… they love their Bills and I'm really excited to be a part of it."

The Bills made no secret about their intentions to improve their offensive line and took a big first step with the addition of the mammoth left guard.

The former Washington Redskin was at the top of the Bills' free agent wish list, and booked a flight to Buffalo Friday morning after initial contract negotiations were headed in the right direction. Dockery signed on the dotted line upon completing his visit at One Bills Drive.

Teamed with emerging Pro Bowl talent Jason Peters at tackle, the left side of Buffalo's offensive front could prove to be one of the most physically imposing in the league.

"That was the thinking behind our pursuit of Dockery," said offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild. "We wanted as good a left side as we could possibly get both for the run and the pass. He was very, very impressive to our entire offensive staff as we evaluated the offensive linemen available."

"That left side has certainly been upgraded with Dockery over there," said offensive line coach Jim McNally. "He and Peters are two guys we'd like to have first off the bus for us."

"He's a great player," said Dockery of Peters. "He's a young guy that's coming up. I've heard nothing but great things about him. I'm excited about this opportunity to play with Jason and grow together. We're going to work hard to get this organization back where it needs to be."

Dockery figures to help Buffalo's moribund running game which has ranked 20th and 27th in the league the past two seasons.

"He will help us in our zone schemes and the run game," said Fairchild. "He was just what we were looking for. He has good size, he's a powerful guy that showed he's athletic enough to be a solid pass protector. He's a superb player. He's something."

The 6'6" 335 pound lineman has been Washington's starting left guard since the time the Redskins made him a third round draft pick in 2003. With the giant defensive tackles that are becoming more and more common in the league, a big interior lineman was viewed as a necessity by Buffalo.

"With the size of the defensive tackles in the league it's tough to play inside and get a good push unless you're a good-sized player with a wingspan as well," said Fairchild. "He's certainly got the body type and proven he can do it. Year in and year out he's been a good player for Washington."

"He's tough to bull rush," said McNally. "For a big guy he can bend his knees and he has a good anchor."

Over the last two seasons one thing Washington has been able to do is run the football ranking 7th in rushing in 2005 and 4th in 2006.

"He was a big part of what they were doing in Washington because of his run blocking and with his pass protection too," said Fairchild. "He's just a tremendous talent."

Dockery has also proven durable in his four-year career as he has made 61 consecutive starts.

"With Dockery you're talking about one of the better free agents at any position out there and we're very fortunate to land him," said Fairchild.