PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't the NBA call games like college?

Holmes_Fans
03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
I know the nba wants to protect investments. But watching college games this weekend made me realize how sad the NBA game is played. The stupidest fouls are called. You will never see a college player consistently shoot 10+ free throws in a game, let alone 20+.

Bob Lanier
03-04-2007, 06:43 PM
http://y-coach.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/dukeL.jpg

Chris Childs
03-04-2007, 06:59 PM
The NBA doesn't call games like college because the NBA is not college.

stretch
03-04-2007, 07:13 PM
The NBA doesn't call games like college because the NBA is not college.
wow. i never knew...

td4mvp21
03-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Anything over 15 ft's in a game is bullshit to me. 15 sounds reasonable because at times superstars do get roughed and hacked as part of the game plan. It should not happen every game though or very frequently. However, it is ridiculous when a player shoots 20+ ft's. Guards like Arenas averaging 9? No thanks.

Holmes_Fans
03-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Anything over 15 ft's in a game is bullshit to me. 15 sounds reasonable because at times superstars do get roughed and hacked as part of the game plan. It should not happen every game though or very frequently. However, it is ridiculous when a player shoots 20+ ft's. Guards like Arenas averaging 9? No thanks.
That is what I am talking about. The refs rarely let a player fight for a ball. It's pathetic watching most of the time. If a player misses a layup or close shot they start bitching because they are so used to the refs bailing them out. Superstar or not.

Dirkadirkastan
03-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Bring in the international refs! Maybe stuff like this will happen more often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoZxkkeJ5XA

Of course, I love this clip because Germany was playing, but anyone who's sick of phantom calls for DWhistle should enjoy it too.

td4mvp21
03-04-2007, 08:56 PM
That is what I am talking about. The refs rarely let a player fight for a ball. It's pathetic watching most of the time. If a player misses a layup or close shot they start bitching because they are so used to the refs bailing them out. Superstar or not.

The superstars that I had in mind were Lebron, Arenas, Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, and Wade. All of those guys have gotten 20+ ft's in a game several times.

dav4463
03-04-2007, 09:23 PM
NBA referees see the same players every night. They know every player's tendencies. They are all part of a good old boy network and certain players are privileged. Others are not (Rasheed Wallace, any rookie who blocks a superstar's shot, etc).

leemajors
03-04-2007, 10:05 PM
i prefer the NBA game, don't care much for collegiate rules outside of 1 and 1s. i think NBA players would get a lot better at FTs quick.

Holmes_Fans
03-04-2007, 11:00 PM
NBA referees see the same players every night. They know every player's tendencies. They are all part of a good old boy network and certain players are privileged. Others are not (Rasheed Wallace, any rookie who blocks a superstar's shot, etc).
It's more that the referees think the players are so good, if they missed a shot they must of been fouled.

dav4463
03-05-2007, 12:23 AM
It's more that the referees think the players are so good, if they missed a shot they must of been fouled.

You are exactly right. I wish I would have put it that way. I referee high school ball and even at that low level, we get to know the best players in the district and they probably get their share of calls based on reputation. It's not on purpose, but it is human nature to expect the best players to make plays and if it is a close call and you aren't real sure what happened, most referees will give the best player the benefit of doubt.

ShackO
03-05-2007, 01:31 AM

Reminds me of the squads playing for America.........(he United States men's national basketball team) Whinning....... Hell almost in shock w/ the contact allowed.......

What I hate the most is the dwades and kobe's that initiate the contact & get to the line.........:pctoss

RonMexico
03-05-2007, 01:35 AM
Because the egos are too huge in the NBA. Suns/Lakers game was a great example of this today... both teams got mad about the officials and then all of a sudden terrible calls started flying out.

MrChug
03-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Sorry man, watching NCAA b-ball is like watching the WNBA. You KNOW there's a higher level of play, and if I wanted to watch amateurs play, I'd be out on the fucking court.

Holmes_Fans
03-05-2007, 10:51 AM
What I hate the most is the dwades and kobe's that initiate the contact & get to the line.........:pctoss
That is one of the things I hate the most. If a player jumps straight up, and the shooter throws himself into him it should just be an offensive foul.

DarkReign
03-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Sorry man, watching NCAA b-ball is like watching the WNBA. You KNOW there's a higher level of play, and if I wanted to watch amateurs play, I'd be out on the fucking court.

I truly agree with this.

College isnt the least bit entertaining for me.

Although I do agree that the NBA could definately use less FTs.

VaSpursFan
03-05-2007, 01:35 PM

:lol :lol :lol I totally agree. i only watch college b-ball for march madness. i haven't seen durant or oden play so i hope to catch one of their games soon.

monosylab1k
03-05-2007, 03:16 PM
:lol :lol :lol I totally agree. i only watch college b-ball for march madness. i haven't seen durant or oden play so i hope to catch one of their games soon.

I used to be the same way, but I tried watching a few more college games this year and was pleasantly surprised by how entertaining they are.

The WNBA, on the other hand, is slightly less entertaining than watching a Chia Pet grow.

Bob Lanier
03-05-2007, 03:44 PM
The WNBA is vastly more entertaining and a much higher quality game than NCAA basketball.

leemajors
03-05-2007, 05:10 PM
The WNBA is vastly more entertaining and a much higher quality game than NCAA basketball.

you've clearly been influenced by Ray Allen's WNBA commercial.

hater
03-05-2007, 05:14 PM
How else would Wade average 20+ppg????

monosylab1k
03-05-2007, 05:27 PM
you've clearly been influenced by Ray Allen's WNBA commercial.

They ought to get Diddy to campaign for them. "Watch WNBA or die!"

It worked great for voting.

G-Money
03-05-2007, 06:19 PM

Yeah. Example late calls, I hate it when someone like a Wade takes a layup or jumpshot and the refs wait to see if they make it or not. And then they miss then the refs blow the whisle. Its like their saying"He's going to get his 2 points anyways."