PDA

View Full Version : What's the plan for James White

cynot0866
03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Does anyone have any info on what the Spurs plan to do with James White. My guess is next year this dude will get some playing time. They can't let a guy with this much athleticism get away. I saw him play in college and he has game. What do you guys think

ChumpDumper
03-04-2007, 06:54 PM
I think he might be ready next season. His main vaule will be on defense and in transition.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I think he might be ready next season. His main vaule will be on defense and in transition.

And in the Dunk contest

djohn14
03-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Does anyone have any info on what the Spurs plan to do with James White. My guess is next year this dude will get some playing time. They can't let a guy with this much athleticism get away. I saw him play in college and he has game. What do you guys think

I want to see James play too, but man instead of SpursTalkForums, it should be JamesWhiteForums. Who would of figured a person who never played in the NBA would get so many posts. I would be pissed if he left after this year though.

Mr. Body
03-04-2007, 07:23 PM
James White will be cut or traded for a future 2nd rounder when the Spurs draft a much better SF prospect in the 2007 draft.

Darkwaters
03-04-2007, 07:40 PM
James White will be cut or traded for a future 2nd rounder when the Spurs draft a much better SF prospect in the 2007 draft.

I'm not so sure. White can play SG as well and the Spurs are going to need a replacement or two for the geriatric Finley and Barry. And that says nothing of Ginobili being within sight of his 30th birthday. White has plenty of value to the Spurs at this point because of his athleticism, transition game, potential and more importantly his pay scale. Unless the Spurs get a ridiculously good offer for this guy via trade I see them keeping him through next year and giving him a season-long tryout.

cynot0866
03-04-2007, 08:15 PM
I saw where someone has mentioned Ian. I checked him out this summer. He really didn't show much other than athleticism also but I swear I'd like to see this guy develop a shot and the fact that he's a volleyball player originally, he become a premier shot blocker. He doesn't have to be a great player just above average.

Taco
03-04-2007, 08:52 PM
He's there to make the Starbucks run!!

His time will be next year

Kori Ellis
03-04-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't think his contract is guaranteed at all for next season, so he'll probably be in training camp battle for a spot.

raspsa
03-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I think he has all the physical tools to become an outstanding defensive player ala Bowen in a couple of years. The question is his attitude and desire to do so. He's a high flier in love with dunking; is he willing to forego the glamor and potential fortunes from the shoe companies for the blue collar grind of playing tough defense night after night? This is what will determine if he remains a Spur.

aaronstampler
03-04-2007, 10:19 PM

You think he could be the guy for Bruce to groom Chump or would you rather use the MLE on a guy like Pietrus?

timvp
03-04-2007, 10:22 PM
James White and Jackie Butler will make or break their Spurs future in summer league.

Darkwaters
03-04-2007, 10:40 PM
I think he has all the physical tools to become an outstanding defensive player ala Bowen in a couple of years. The question is his attitude and desire to do so. He's a high flier in love with dunking; is he willing to forego the glamor and potential fortunes from the shoe companies for the blue collar grind of playing tough defense night after night? This is what will determine if he remains a Spur.

Well, the guy was a free agent after being waived by Indiana and he chose to sign with the Spurs. Surely he saw that the Spurs could use a player of his skill-set and was inclined to sign. But you know that his agent as well as the Spurs FO were probably telling him that he would be required to work hard and think "defense first" when he joined the team. I have to imagine that the guy was pretty well sought after and by joining the Spurs he knew what would be expected of him.

ChumpDumper
03-04-2007, 10:52 PM
You think he could be the guy for Bruce to groom Chump or would you rather use the MLE on a guy like Pietrus?A reasonable offer to him would probably be matched.

Mr. Body
03-04-2007, 11:48 PM
James White and Jackie Butler will make or break their Spurs future in summer league.

Well, damn, consider the future fucked, then.

Darkwaters
03-04-2007, 11:52 PM

Well, somebody better light a fire under Butler's ass because hes apparently pretty damn lazy. Has anybody heard anything about White's work ethic though? Is he a hard worker or is he slacking like Jackie?

mountainballer
03-05-2007, 02:58 AM
Well, somebody better light a fire under Butler's ass because hes apparently pretty damn lazy. Has anybody heard anything about White's work ethic though? Is he a hard worker or is he slacking like Jackie?

the college coaches were very positive about his work ethic.
his thoughness and focus on the court was questioned, but it seems as if it is not the case that he doesn't want to work hard.
Butler I don't see given another try.
FO didn't even give Devin another chance because of a bad work ethic and I guess compared to Butler he was a workhorse.

mountainballer
03-05-2007, 03:24 AM

I can see him as a bait in a trade up scenario, but don't think that they just give him for a future 2nd rounder.

don't have an idea, how his value in a trade up scenario would be, but looking at the best chance to trade up which is IMO the Raptors pick, that is owned by the Bobcats (currently no. 21).
the Bobcats again have to replace several players, including likely most of their wings. (if Wallce opts out, Morrison will be the only SG/SF left under contract)
I don't think that they use their better pick (currently no.6) for another SF, they will use it for a big who can play alongside Okafor (Haws? McRoberts?), so White should be interesting for them.

would the Spurs no. 28 pick + White + 2nd rounder be enough to get this pick?
for the Spurs it could be crucial to trade up some spots to be in reach for players like Alondo Tucker, Nick Young, or maybe even Corie Brewer (who some scouts expect to fall till pick 20 area)

Kori Ellis
03-05-2007, 04:17 AM
the college coaches were very positive about his work ethic.
his thoughness and focus on the court was questioned, but it seems as if it is not the case that he doesn't want to work hard.
Butler I don't see given another try.
FO didn't even give Devin another chance because of a bad work ethic and I guess compared to Butler he was a workhorse.

They didn't give Devin another chance when he was a free agent, but Jackie's under contract for one to two more years. I'm guessing they'll give him a chance to get in shape this summer and if he doesn't come through try to include him in a trade package.

Kori Ellis
03-05-2007, 04:18 AM

Would they have to sign him officially for next year before they traded him? I don't think next year he's guaranteed anything.

AFBlue
03-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Would they have to sign him officially for next year before they traded him? I don't think next year he's guaranteed anything.

They would have to pick up his option. It's a team option next year...

boutons_
03-05-2007, 08:06 AM
James White, trade bait? He wasn't good enough to play for the Pacers, now not for the Spurs. He's apparently not good enough (yet) to be an NBA player.

Bruno
03-05-2007, 08:18 AM
James White next year contract isn't guaranteed.

The unknown is how White salary is protected. The rule is that contracts aren't guaranteed at all until jan 10st and then become guaranteed for the rest of the season. However you can add some salary protection like : if the player isn't waived before august 1st, $100K are guaranteed or if the player isn't waived before the end of the training camp, his salary is fully guaranteed. We will know how White salary is protected per Ludden or per ESPN (they have indicated salary protection for non guaranteed players last year on their website).

Spurs FO will judge White on what he will do in the last games of the regular season (if Spurs can tank these games without changing their playoff seed), practices, summer league and training camp :

- If he isn't playing well, they will waive him just before a part of his contract become guaranteed or just before the season to get a roster spot and to not pay his salary.

- If he is playing well, they will try to give him some playtime and try to grow him as Bowen's successor.

- If he isn't playing well, they can too trade him. White has no value by himself : he has been cut by pacers, hasn't played a minute in nba, hasn't been great in DLeague and has been bad when GMs have watched the DLeague during the Dleague showcase. They even won't be able to trade him for a second round pick. However, the interesting thing about White is that his contract isn't guaranteed : White can be a great filler in a trade to match salaries because he won't cost money to the other team (they can cut him for free just after the trade).