PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio (41-18) at LA Clippers (29-30)

ducks
03-04-2007, 09:08 PM
San Antonio (41-18) at LA Clippers (29-30)

Game Info: 10:30 pm EST Mon Mar 5, 2007

By DAN PIERINGER, STATS Writer

The San Antonio Spurs have won a season-high eight straight games. They'll look to push that streak to nine when they visit the Los Angeles Clippers, a team they have dominated over the last decade.

San Antonio (41-18) has won 11 of its last 12 against the Clippers, including both meetings this season. The Spurs are 31-5 against Los Angeles since drafting Tim Duncan in 1997.

Duncan scored 26 points -- 15 in the first quarter -- on 10-of-14 shooting to lead the Spurs to a 97-74 rout of Houston on Saturday, San Antonio's fourth straight road win. The All-Star forward is averaging 20.1 points and 9.5 rebounds while shooting 61.8 percent from the floor during the Spurs' run.

"It feels good to hit your first few shots," Duncan said. "It makes the rest of the game go easy. My shot felt good the entire night."

ADVERTISEMENT

While Duncan has been providing the offense, the Spurs have also been getting it done with defense. San Antonio, allowing a league-best 90.0 points per game on the season, is holding opponents to 81.1 during the win streak. The Spurs' average margin of victory over that stretch is 18.8 points.

The Spurs won Saturday despite playing without starting guard Tony Parker, their second-leading scorer. Parker is listed as day-to-day with a strained left hip.

The Clippers (29-30) are dealing with their own point-guard issues. Shaun Livingston seriously injured his left knee while driving to the basket against Charlotte last Monday, and Sam Cassell has missed the last two games with a groin strain.

Cassell could return Monday, but Livingston will miss 8-12 months with three torn ligaments.

"It's probably the most serious injury you can have to the knee," Clippers physician Dr. Tony Daly said Tuesday. "He might miss all of next year."

Despite losing their top two point guards, the Clippers have won four of their last five games. They held Indiana to 35.7 percent shooting in an 87-64 victory over the Pacers on Saturday, setting a franchise record for fewest points allowed in a game.

Elton Brand had 17 points and 12 rebounds, his 26th double-double of the season and third in five contests. Brand is averaging 20.4 points, 10.6 rebounds and 3.4 blocks in the team's last five games, helping the Clippers move into seventh place in the Western Conference.

"This is a great record for us, especially at this time," Brand said Saturday. "Some of the guys that log a lot of minutes got some rest tonight. And when we can put that type of defense and intensity together for a full game, we are going to be hard to beat."

Corey Maggette has stepped up since injuries forced him into the Clippers' starting lineup. Formerly the team's top reserve, Maggette led Los Angeles with 20 points Saturday and is averaging 19.2 points on 50.0 percent shooting in six games as a starter since the All-Star break.

Los Angeles has won 12 of its last 16 home games, including four in a row. San Antonio, though, is 21-10 on the road and second only to Phoenix (23) in road wins.

Duncan had 17 points, five rebounds and six assists in the last matchup with Los Angeles, a 103-81 Spurs win at Staples Center on Dec. 11. Duncan has career averages of 21.9 points and 11.9 rebounds against the Clippers.

The teams close out the season series March 13 in San Antonio.

Updated on Sunday, Mar 4, 2007 4:33 pm EST

Email to a Friend | View Popular

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10
San Antonio 41-18 2nd Southwest / 3rd West 98.5 90.0 Road 21-10 Won 8 8-2
LA Clippers 29-30 3rd Pacific / 7th West 95.3 96.4 Home 21-10 Won 1 5-5

San Antonio Notes
Mar 4 G Tony Parker suffered a strained hip flexor in the first half of Friday night's win over Orlando and did not dress for Saturday night's game at Houston. He played in the second half Friday, but scored just eight points. Veteran G Jacque Vaughn started in his place against Houston. Coach Gregg Popovich said Parker is day-to-day. ... "It's everybody's concern to get into the playoffs healthy," Popovich said. "You want to win all the games and position yourself seeding wise, but we all know the health at the end of the year is the most important thing."

st 03-04-07 4:41 et

LA Clippers Notes
Mar 2 The Clippers fell to 16-69 all-time against the SuperSonics in on the road, but had won three straight at KeyArena before Thursday's setback. ... University of Washington graduate G Will Conroy, who signed to a 10-day contract on Wednesday, made his debut in Seattle, but was held scoreless with two rebounds and two assists in 14 minutes. ... G Sam Cassell was on the inactive list for Thursday's game with a right groin injury and is listed as day-to-day. ... F Elton Brand was held to just one point in the first half, but came back with 21 after halftime.

st 03-02-07 4:59 et

missmyzte
03-04-2007, 10:56 PM
I'll be at the game!!! First row seats :)

ducks
03-05-2007, 08:49 AM
cool

AFBlue
03-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Looks like the Spurs will get an up-close look at Will Conroy, a guy that many on this forum advocated signing not too long ago.

boutons_
03-05-2007, 09:10 AM
"Will Conroy"

I saw him last week on the Clipper sideline very enthusiastically waving towels.

Maggette scored 20 pts Saturday, 10/10 FTs, and ... 1 RB.

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2007, 09:25 AM
easy win, next!

traitoravery
03-05-2007, 07:19 PM
^I hope so!!!!! :flag:

ShoogarBear
03-05-2007, 07:42 PM
I got a feeling Maggette goes crazy tonight, just to start that ball rolling again.

GrandeDavid
03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I'll be at the game!!! First row seats :)

Myzte, you've got the phat hookup goin on as always. Sounds like you're in a better seat than the one we sat in in San Antonio last year! I hope you bring luck. I'm getting a quirky, insecure feeling about tonight's game with Tony out. The Spurs have routed the Clipps twice this year, so you know they'll bring it. Hopefully the Spurs are mentally ready for a tough game. Wear your Lakers gear but cheer for the Spurs!

bigdog
03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Looks like the Spurs will get an up-close look at Will Conroy, a guy that many on this forum advocated signing not too long ago.
actually,word is taht they were gonna release him today so they can sign jason hart. not sure if it actually happened though

E20
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww Tim is averaging 9.5 rebounds??!?!??

Come on, he should be tearing down 15 a night, nobody rebounds on our team, so every rebound sho go to him.

Clutch20
03-05-2007, 11:04 PM
This game worries me.
It's late at night, it's on the west coast, let's stay away from injuries and
jump out to big a big hairy fast start and then let the starters sit out once the lead jumps to 15+, so they can laugh and joke with each other and point wide-eyed to Bonner raining down 3's, and stare at Jacque V. doing his SClaxton impression, please!