PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Bank Shot, FTs

raspsa
03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Like Spurs fans everywhere, I'm just thrilled that TD has started hitting his signature bank shot. It has become something of a lost art in the modern game which has always puzzled me. I always found it an easier target (at certain angles) to hit a spot on the backboard rather than aiming directly at the hoop.

Also, his improvement at the FT line is amazing. Hiring Chip E. is really starting to pay off. I wonder though if he's working out with Bowen. He's the most obvious Spur to foul late in the game as Orlando did during the loss a couple of weeks ago. We need all our key players to be on the floor during crunch time and being credible FT threats is essential to this.

timvp
03-04-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm not sold on Duncan's free throws just yet. He's always been a streaky free throw shooter and he's still shooting just 66% at the line this year.

I'm sure he'll go on another streak soon where he'll be sub-50% for a stretch.

raspsa
03-04-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm not sold on Duncan's free throws just yet. He's always been a streaky free throw shooter and he's still shooting just 66% at the line this year.

I'm sure he'll go on another streak soon where he'll be sub-50% for a stretch.

I don't have the figures but something is obviously working; his stance at the line is a lot different from the pigeon-toed form.. even the arc of the shot seems to be better. Time will tell.

Das Texan
03-04-2007, 10:28 PM
I'll say this though.

At least he finally got smart and actually moved his feet to a much better position to make free throws.

raspsa
03-04-2007, 10:33 PM
I'll say this though.

At least he finally got smart and actually moved his feet to a much better position to make free throws.

FT has been somewhat of a sensitive issue with TD. Pop has basically allowed him to try to find his own solution to the problem over the years but nothing really worked. What he needed was the kind of credible coaching that someone like Chip E provides. Pop should have insisted on this years ago.

Despot
03-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Chip has been mentoring Duncan at the line?

VaSpursFan
03-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't have the figures but something is obviously working; his stance at the line is a lot different from the pigeon-toed form.. even the arc of the shot seems to be better. Time will tell.

i agree. i noticed his stance change a few weeks back along with his follow through. he holds the follow through a lot longer now. his form looks a lot better. he actually gives himself a chance to get the shooter's roll on his FT shots now with more arc. in the past, it was swish or nothing.

ShoogarBear
03-04-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm not convinced there will be any significant change in his FT% until he stops shooting line drives. He will always have a much smaller geometric margin of error until he consistently puts more arch on the ball.

raspsa
03-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Chip has been mentoring Duncan at the line?

I think its a safe assumption since that's his job on the team. TD would likely listen to a man who taught Steve Kerr to shoot.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2007, 03:57 AM
The problem with Duncan's free throw shooting isn't his form, it's his rhythm IMO. He either needs a dribbling routine to go right into the shot or he needs to just back up a step and shoot it like a jumper from the top of the key. Count the number of seconds he stands there thinking about the shot before he takes it, and even that's not consistent. You hear jumpshooters talking about taking shots in rhythm all the time. Funny that they don't do the same thing with free throws, especially for guys who have good form like Timmy.