PDA

View Full Version : The Problem with the NBA Media/Sports writers

SpursDynasty
03-05-2007, 01:13 AM
I have noticed something over the past couple of years. There will always be a team who the media WANTS to win the championship, usually the same team that the league would think would be good for them as champions as far as ratings, money, etc.

Have you all noticed, over the past few years, every team that the NBA media usually portrays as the favorite to win the championship, doesn't win it?

2003 - No one mentioned the Spurs as contenders until Game 5 vs LA ended (Spurs up 3-2). The NBA media WANTED LA as champs that year.
2004 - The perfect picture: Shaq, Kobe, Malone, Payton, and the return of Laker magic. Portrayed all year as the favorite to win it all, what happened? Detroit wins the Finals, 4-1.
2005 - The NBA media still has no respect for the Spurs, portraying Detroit as the favorite to win it all. What happened? Spurs win Finals 4-3.
2006 - No explanation needed! The Mavs get past the Spurs, and they are awarded the championship by the media after Game 7 vs SA. Not only do they go on to quickly lose Game 1 vs Phoenix, but they get by that series because Phoenix didnt have Stoudemire (a monster up until then), and go up 2-0 in the Finals (championship is all but won here by the NBA media), BAM. Heat win it, 4-2.

Also, keep in mind that the NBA Champion NEVER gets respect, at least not since the Lakers' 2000-2002 run. When Spurs won in 2003, the following year everyone was up the butts of the Lakers. When Detroit won it in 2004, they were still not respected much until the Finals came around in 2005. Spurs win the title in 2005, and Detroit was the early favorite the following season. The Miami Heat win it in 2006, and the Mavs are getting all the respect this year. The fact is, the media will pick who they want to win, make excuses for whoever loses the Finals, and create the image, all season long. But the NBA Finals is where the truth comes out.

I love that the Spurs are not in the spotlight right now. It's the perfect setup to win the NBA Championship.

jaffies
03-05-2007, 01:57 AM
Are you saying the media didn't want Miami (Shaq, Wade, Payton, Zo) to win a championship?

Trainwreck2100
03-05-2007, 02:28 AM
Are you saying the media didn't want Miami (Shaq, Wade, Payton, Zo) to win a championship?

It's not tat they didn't want them to win, it's that nobody saw it coming

twincam
03-05-2007, 06:07 PM
good reading...I like it and agree with it. We all need to understand that it's not the media that wins championships, it's the team with heart.
It's almost like comparing a 'great' former NBA player becoming a head coach and end up FAILING big time. In short, just because you know how to play the game, doesn't mean you can coach the game to greatness. It's all on how you see it.
I'm not saying that ALL player-coaches fail, but MOST of them do. Basically, what I'm trying to say is to not live up to the hype. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING is guaranteed in the NBA. Looks can be very deceiving. As long as the Lakers, Knicks, and Bulls are in the league, they will ALWAYS be the NBA's (front office) favorite to win (It's all about the $$$$$$$)

P.S. I still hate "Pop" regardless.

SequSpur
03-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Buck Harvey wants Bob Hill to win a championship.

Clutch20
03-05-2007, 08:17 PM
I have noticed something over the past couple of years. There will always be a team who the media WANTS to win the championship, usually the same team that the league would think would be good for them as champions as far as ratings, money, etc.
Weird! Today I read something related, I forget where, about how the league has "bored" the exciting qualities out of the NBA by focusing on individual players and also thereby engendering a type of Mike Tyson crowd. I dunno how much validity that second contention carries but I do agree with the first.
The media is collectively dumb and is to blame for causing the mainstream fan to lose interest. Not to say those high profile players aren't talented, in fact, they're highly so. It's just that they don't play every night and so there you are, tuning in to watch a game and you don't recognize anybody playing so you change the channel.

SpursDynasty, thanks for pointing out media hype and influence. And just who is this guy who gives these media powerbrokers the wink-wink and knowing smile?

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-05-2007, 08:38 PM
good reading...I like it and agree with it. We all need to understand that it's not the media that wins championships, it's the team with heart.
It's almost like comparing a 'great' former NBA player becoming a head coach and end up FAILING big time. In short, just because you know how to play the game, doesn't mean you can coach the game to greatness. It's all on how you see it.
I'm not saying that ALL player-coaches fail, but MOST of them do. Basically, what I'm trying to say is to not live up to the hype. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING is guaranteed in the NBA. Looks can be very deceiving. As long as the Lakers, Knicks, and Bulls are in the league, they will ALWAYS be the NBA's (front office) favorite to win (It's all about the $$$$$$$)

P.S. I still hate "Pop" regardless.

Actually, it's the team that wins the fourth game in the NBA Finals.

twincam
03-05-2007, 09:22 PM
I do not understand what you mean by 4th quarters. Basically the team with the most heart will come out on top.

Dalhoop
03-05-2007, 10:53 PM
I would disagree that the Media didn't want Wade and Shaq to win. Wade and Lebron have been media darlings sense they came into the league, the Mavs best known player is a tall white german who doesn't dunk all that much ... Not exactly what you see alot of in the comercials.

I do understand what you are saying overall though. The Spurs main player also is not a commercial darling and make the sportcenter top 10 all that much either ... All they do is win.

I do feel the pain.

SpursDynasty
03-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Why haven't the NBA Champs since '03 gotten respect? (Spurs twice, Pistons, Heat) during their year as champ?

Spurs1234
03-05-2007, 11:06 PM
I agree with most of your point, the media darling usually doesn't win the title. I wouldn't neccessarily say the pistons were the favorites in 2005, the spurs were picked by many to win the finals, esp. after killing the suns in the wcf. After the spurs blew their 2-0 lead, then many switched sides with the pistons. who cares who the media annoits as the champion anyways, the media doesn't know much.

Dalhoop
03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Why haven't the NBA Champs since '03 gotten respect? (Spurs twice, Pistons, Heat) during their year as champ?

I think that this is because the NBA is pushing individual players instead of teams. In football, its not Manning vs Romo, its Colts vs Cowboys.

In the NBA its Kobe vs Lebron, not the Lakers vs the Cavs.

Its the culture.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-05-2007, 11:39 PM
I do not understand what you mean by 4th quarters. Basically the team with the most heart will come out on top.

You probably didn't understand what I meant by 4th quarters because I didn't write "4th quarter."

http://www.nba.com/media/wizards/rta_wiz.jpg

RIF.

Mavs are Champs
03-06-2007, 12:05 AM
I agree with most of your statement, but I also agree with a lot of the posts; it doesnt really matter what the media thinks, they are just out to sell papers and most of the time they are just as biased as the homers who read their articles. I will say this, I don't always think the team that is in the spotlight wants to be there. My example is the Avery and the Mavs; I think they are taking a blue collar mentality through this season, grinding it out until the playoffs start. Why would any team want to have the "We are the Best because everyone says so" bullseye on their back. I think the Mavs would be just fine with no coverage if and until they win the rings.