PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Ludden: Spurs glad Finley has range back

Bruno
03-05-2007, 08:22 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030507.01D.Spurs.325bc5b.html

Web Posted: 03/04/2007 09:27 PM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News

LOS ANGELES — If Michael Finley seems to have a little more bounce in his step these days, you're not the only one who has noticed.

Finley has averaged 12 points during the past three games for the Spurs, shooting aggressively and accurately — unlike earlier this season. He made his first three shots, two of which were 3-pointers, in the victory over Orlando on Friday and had a similar barrage during Saturday's second quarter in Houston.

With each shot, Finley's swagger grew. On Saturday, he was backpedaling, head held high, as soon as the ball left his hand.

"We could see a different Fin," Manu Ginobili said. "He's more confident and always ready to shoot. We really need him, so it's great to see him like that."

After struggling with his shot for much of the season, Finley has shown progress during the past five weeks. Heading into tonight's meeting with the Los Angeles Clippers, he's averaging 9.1 points in his past 15 games while shooting 44.2 percent, including 37.7 percent from the 3-point line.

While those numbers aren't going to win him the Sixth Man of the Year award, they're a marked improvement from the season's first month when he made just 32.2 percent of his shots and 25 percent of his 3-point attempts.

"I'm just playing the game," Finley said. "It's easier said than done, but that's the way I'm looking at it. Go out there and just play the game the way I know how and incorporate it into the system here."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich thinks Finley might have tried too hard to mesh with the team, sometimes passing up shots he normally would have taken.

"I was more or less trying to make the perfect play," said Finley, who is also happy the NBA switched back to the leather ball. "Sometimes when you try to make the perfect play, you end up making the wrong play.

"From that standpoint Pop just told me to go out there and be aggressive, do what I want to do — and that's put the ball in the hole."

Popovich also reminded Finley that just because his shot wasn't falling, his confidence didn't also have to drop. He could still have a productive game by contributing in other ways.

"I've tried to be very definitive about that with him, so he understands we appreciate it," Popovich said. "His defensive efforts, his rebounding, his leadership and all those things are important to us on a night-after-night basis.

"Concentrating on that frees him up so he can feel a lot more at ease at just letting it fly."

Finley did just that in one of the team's biggest victories of the season, burying a 3-pointer — one of five he made on the day — with 1.3 seconds left in overtime to beat the Los Angeles Lakers on Jan. 28. The performance didn't immediately springboard Finley or the team to greater things, but it served as a reminder of his abilities.

"I think Pop's done a great job of defining his role and what he wants him to do," Tim Duncan said, "and understanding that he's a big-time shooter."

With Ginobili now coming off the bench, Finley typically doesn't play until the start of the second quarter. His minutes in the second half have been determined not only by his performance, but also by that of Bruce Bowen and Brent Barry.

Barry continues to start, though his playing time has been squeezed of late, particularly on those occasions when Popovich opts to sub in Ginobili only a few minutes into the second half. The team's recent run of lopsided victories also has skewed the rotation. Barry sometimes accumulates minutes after the game has been decided, and Finley does the same on other nights.

"I'm just trying to treat each game as a new adventure, so to speak," Finley said.

Regardless of the night, however, Popovich wants him to keep the same mind-set.

"He knows he has the green light and if he catches the ball, he's looking to score," Popovich said. "Not do anything else, but score."

Parker update: The Spurs didn't practice Sunday, so Tony Parker will be evaluated when the team meets this morning. Parker, who has a left hip flexor strain, missed Saturday's victory in Houston and didn't sound optimistic about being able to play tonight.

AFBlue
03-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Good article on Finley. I noticed a few weeks ago that his % was improving, and I think he can be a big part of the Spurs playoff run. I still don't like him as the "small ball 4", but as long as he's putting pressure on the defense by coming off screens and nailing the mid-range shot, he is a + for this team...

boutons_
03-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Same thing happened last year, he shot a lot better after the ASB.

I'm interested in seeing who gets the more minutes in the playoffs, Brent or Michael.

Earlier in the season, Brent was shooting better but Michael seemed to get more minutes.

But they are both at 21 MPG, although Brent still has much higher shooting %ages.

AFBlue
03-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I think if Bowen continues to struggle offensively, Finley will get more time on the court and the Fin-Barry balance won't be mutually exclusive. Also, Finley still plays the 4 in small ball sets from time to time.

I think both get their minutes...

K-State Spur
03-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I haven't been worried about Finley. He can still elevate and he still moves alright. Unless there was a huge drop-off in athletic ability from last year, there was absolutely no reason to believe that he was incapable of finding his shot again. Whether it is there in May/June is still up for debate, but there is no reason to say that it definitely won't be.

Fabbs
03-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich thinks Finley might have tried too hard to mesh with the team, sometimes passing up shots he normally would have taken.

:lol :downspin:
He thinks he should have shot more. Wonderful.
Not one word about taking the ball to the rack, getting FTs as opposed to bricklaying.
Dallas and Avery continue to howl.
Don't get me wrong, i'm glad his % has skyrocketed to 44%.
Guess I expect too much out of a 19 million a year player and his 5 mil coach. :rolleyes

boutons_
03-05-2007, 12:54 PM
"passing up shots he normally would have taken."

huh? If there's one thing Fin doesn't do, is pass up shots. :lol So far this year, passing to Michael has often meant end of possession unless the Spurs get the offensive RB. :lol

wildbill2u
03-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Let's just hope his improved play continues. We need either Barry or Finley to make shots and contribute--and hopefully both--if we are to progress through the playoffs.

xamila rey
03-05-2007, 02:18 PM
i expect Fin to be even better than now during playoffs

ShoogarBear
03-05-2007, 03:30 PM
If Finley still has enough left in the tank to play like he did last year in the playoffs, and if Elson can play effective defense for 25 minutes a game (so that Fin is not ever at power forward), that would be hugehugehuge.

smrattler
03-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Spurs are counting on Fin and Barry shooting this year. Gonna need one or both to step up every night in the playoffs. Against the Suns, may need both. Even Udrih shooting looks better now, his confidence looks totally different lately. Maybe not being traded will have a Barry-like effect on him? I can hope.

boutons_
03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Imagine if Michael could hit the same %ages as Brent,
and Brent would shoot as readily as Michael!

Ring #4! :lol

timvp
03-05-2007, 05:38 PM
"He knows he has the green light and if he catches the ball, he's looking to score," Popovich said. "Not do anything else, but score."

That's what you have to tell Finley because he might be the worst ballhandler and the worst playmaker on the team.

AFBlue
03-05-2007, 05:39 PM
That's what you have to tell Finley because he might be the worst ballhandler and the worst playmaker on the team.

<<cough>> Bruce Bowen <<cough>>

timvp
03-05-2007, 05:41 PM
<<cough>> Bruce Bowen <<cough>>

Bowen can't dribble but he can dribble way better than Finley can.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-05-2007, 05:41 PM

oh come on timvp, you can't tell me he's a worse ball handler than beno! :lol

AFBlue
03-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Bowen can't dribble but he can dribble way better than Finley can.

I guess it's like arguing what's worse between watching the Mavs win the Championship or getting kicked in the balls. They both suck and I cringe at the thought of either.

Same applies to Fin and Bruce every time they put the ball on the floor.

Russ
03-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Apparently, Finley was measuring his shots and debating whether to shoot.
I heard a commentator say that the Spurs told Finley not to hesitate so much -- just catch and let it fly.

If so, that seems to have helped.

ShoogarBear
03-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Apparently, Finley was measuring his shots and debating whether to shoot.
I heard a commentator say that the Spurs told Finley not to hesitate so much -- just catch and let it fly. Really. Barry already has that first job.

timvp
03-05-2007, 05:49 PM
If Barry got paid a dollar per hesitation, he'd be richer than he already is.

whottt
03-05-2007, 06:00 PM
TimVP and Shoogar prove continually that they weren't watching basketball prior to the 2004-2005 season.

We got it guys.

You expected a career 10 ppg scorer to come in and average 18 off the bench.

Furthermore..

Barry = 1 Ring

TimVP + Shoogar + AJ = 1 Ring

OWNT!

timvp
03-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Whottt + Shane Heal = 0 Rings

P\/\//\/3T

ShoogarBear
03-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Bad, LJ. He'll come back with the 21st Best Spur of All Time.

mardigan
03-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Too bad we cant get his legs back

Russ
03-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Too bad we cant get his legs back
He did have a nasty dunk or two in the playoffs against Dallas.

whottt
03-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Bad, LJ. He'll come back with the 21st Best Spur of All Time.

No need...

Barry = 1 ballin' dunk championship
Jack = none

3tH3R3d!

ShoogarBear
03-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Quentin Richardson = 1 NBA 3-Point Shootout Championship
Barry = none

http://www.aimface.com/ikons/IKONdf3bfc0ed921503a445013750b7ae6e80cbd216adf.gif

BTW, that smiley sucks but how the hell do we not have a good headband smiley here?

MannyIsGod
03-05-2007, 07:54 PM
:lol

Bruce Bowen is no way in hell a better ball handler than Finley. Bruce may not be a better ball handler than Elson. :lol

GrandeDavid
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
I haven't been worried about Finley. He can still elevate and he still moves alright. Unless there was a huge drop-off in athletic ability from last year, there was absolutely no reason to believe that he was incapable of finding his shot again. Whether it is there in May/June is still up for debate, but there is no reason to say that it definitely won't be.

Well stated. That's exactly my view. Finley definitely got juiced up for the Dallas series last year. I'm sure that he'll find a way to either equal or surpass that juice and animation for the entire series if/when they meet in the playoffs, being that Fin's championship window is presumably closing fast. Its basically now or never for him. And we know that he still has some game, physically.

G-Nob
03-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Beware of the Finley fascination. Been touting it since he got here.