PDA

View Full Version : Durrant wins POY

Jimcs50
03-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Durant edges out Law in Big 12 voting, Gillispie wins coaching award

Texas A&M senior guard Acie Law IV was named to the All-Big 12 first team, but Texas reshman Kevin Durant beat him out for Player of the Year honors.

Texas A&M senior point guard Acie Law IV earned all-conference honors, but the Big 12 Conference's coaches voted Texas forward Kevin Durant player of the year.

Durant is the first freshman in the league's 11-year history to earn that award.

A&M's Billy Gillispie was named Big 12 coach of the year, while Aggie junior center Joseph Jones was on the second team. Senior forward Antanas Kavaliauskas and sophomore forward Josh Carter received honorable mention.

As expected, the 6-foot-3 Law and 6-9 Durant were unanimous choices by the coaches, who couldn't vote for their own players. The only recent debate was who would get top player honors.

Law has one more chance. The Associated Press will announce its All-Big 12 team Monday, its coach of the year Tuesday and its player, newcomer and freshman of the year Wednesday.

Law, who was only a third-team pick by the coaches last season, led the No. 7 Aggies (25-5, 13-3) to a second-place finish in the Big 12 behind Kansas.

Law is a finalist for the Bob Cousy Award as the nation's top point guard and is a semifinalist for the Wooden and Naismith Awards as the nation's top player.

Law averages 18.2 points and 5.3 assists per game. He's shooting 51.6 percent from the field, including 46.1 on 3-pointers, and 77 percent from the free-throw line - all career bests.

But it's his leadership that Gillispie and teammates often praised for A&M's turnaround. A&M was 0-16 in league action in Law's freshman season.

Durant made a big splash for Texas, which lost the league's player of the year (P.J. Tucker), defensive player of the year (LaMarcus Aldridge) and a pair of third-team all-conference players (Brad Buckman and Daniel Gibson). Yet, Durant-led Texas had a chance for the league title and top seed heading into the regular-season finale at Kansas.

Durant is the league's first player to score 400 points and get 200 rebounds in conference play. He averaged a Big 12-record 28.9 points per game in 16 league games and is on pace to establish the overall mark with his 25.1-point average.

Law is second to Durant in league scoring at 20.8 ppg.

Durant also was named the freshman of the year and made the all-defensive team, as did A&M junior guard Dominique Kirk.

This is Gillispie's second Big 12 coach of the year honor. His peers also gave him the honor after an 8-8 finish in 2004-05 on the heels of A&M's 0-16 season.

Gillispie (68-24 in his third year at A&M) has had the Aggies in the Top 10 for much of the season. A&M's 13-3 conference record and second-place finish are the school's best in the Big 12. The Aggies need one more victory to tie the school record for a season.

Jones (13.2 ppg, 6.6 rpg) earned second-team honors last season.

Kansas' Mario Chalmers of Kansas and Oklahoma State's Marcus Dove of Oklahoma State shared the defensive player of the year honor.

Missouri's Stefhon Hannah was named newcomer of the year, and Kansas State's Cartier Martin received the league's inaugural sixth-man award.

There were six players on the first team, because of a tie. KU teammates Julian Wright and Brandon Rush were joined by OSU's Mario Boggan and Texas Tech's Jarrius Jackson.

Jones is averaging 13.2 points and 6.6 rebounds and ranks third in the Big 12 in free-throw accuracy (.821).

Kavaliauskas is averaging 12.5 points and 6.4 rebounds and leads the league in field goal percentage (.580). Carter leads the nation in three-point percentage (.519) and is averaging 12.5 points per game. He has made a school-record 80 three-pointers this season.

Joining Jones on the second team were Kansas State's David Hoskins and Martin, Nebraska's Aleks Maric, and Texas' D.J. Augustin.

Third-team players were Chalmers, Hannah, Oklahoma's Nate Carter, Oklahoma State's JamesOn Curry and Texas Tech's Martin Zeno.

mardigan
03-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Nice, I guess there was never even any doubt

AFBlue
03-05-2007, 10:22 AM
They could've given it to law for seniority, but Durant was the right choice. A case could've also been made for Boggan, but Durant was clearly the most dominant player in the Big 12....maybe all of college ball.

Doug Collins
03-05-2007, 10:27 AM
They could've given it to law for seniority, but Durant was the right choice. A case could've also been made for Boggan, but Durant was clearly the most dominant player in the Big 12....maybe all of college ball.

Durant deserved it, but I would've liked to see co-players of the year.

Jimcs50
03-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Acie even thought Kevin desereved it, so I am good with it also.

At least Billy won COY again....that is nice. Barnes was probably 2nd in that vote

Jimcs50
03-05-2007, 10:51 AM
AK, IMO deserved 2nd team over Jones.

Kermit
03-05-2007, 11:09 AM
co-poy would have been nice and a great show of appreciation for everything acie has done for big-12 basketball. he should be 1st teamer on the all-american squad.

K-State Spur
03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Any other year, Acie is the runaway choice.

Durant was just so statistically dominant that you couldn't go any other way.

Ballcox
03-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Wow, I was expecting it to be a co-player of the year thing with Acie and Durant, but I'm happy as hell for Durant to win the award. He's had the single best season I've ever seen in 25 plus years of watching UT basketball. Congrats, Kevin!

sghspurs
03-05-2007, 02:51 PM
AK, IMO deserved 2nd team over Jones.

I agree with that 100%. Jones is in foul trouble too much and is not on the floor enough to be on 2nd team.

Doug Collins
03-05-2007, 03:04 PM
I agree with that 100%. Jones is in foul trouble too much and is not on the floor enough to be on 2nd team.

Although Jones fouled out a lot he was definitely a focal point of an opponents gameplan more than AK. They both put up similar numbers but Jones should've done a lot more. AK probably should be 2nd team ahead of Jones but I dont have a problem either way.

Pugglekicker_21
03-06-2007, 08:43 PM
A lot of people say where would Texas be w/o Durant? The ansewer-exactly where A&M would be w/o Law.

Mr Dio
03-06-2007, 11:42 PM
So was Barnes the Big12 COY or not?
I saw some stuff on tv in between winks.
IMO he did a GREAT job with a mainly FROSH team.