PDA

View Full Version : Democrats just can't help themselves...

Yonivore
03-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Barack Obama (http://hotair.com/archives/2007/03/05/audio-hillary-obama-develop-southern-accents-for-selma/) “was the product of an interracial marriage made possible by the march on Selma”…

“There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama, because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born. So don’t tell me I don’t have a claim on Selma, Alabama. Don’t tell me I’m not coming home to Selma, Alabama.”
It’s a nice story, except for the fact that it’s a lie. Bloody Sunday happened on March 7, 1965. Obama, Jr. was born August 4, 1961, four years earlier.

Of course, when confronted with the lie, Obama’s campaign spun it (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070304selma,1,6402892.story?track=rss&ctrack=1&cset=true) like a ceiling fan on high speed…

Obama was born in 1961, four years before the march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge. But spokesman Bill Burton said Obama was “speaking metaphorically about the civil rights movement as a whole.”
Yeah, it’s a metaphor for “you’re lying your ass off.”

clambake
03-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Sounds like a metaphor to me, but I get where you're coming from.

I would think you could embrace ALL liars. You even embrace the lies that Bush has already admitted. Maybe you should just call him a lying metaphor abuser.

Oh, Gee!!
03-06-2007, 02:08 PM
It’s a nice story, except for the fact that it’s a lie. Bloody Sunday happened on March 7, 1965. Obama, Jr. was born August 4, 1961, four years earlier.

The fact that Obama is being considered as a serious contender for the Demo nomination has something to do with the civil rights movement of the 1960's and the march on Selma.

smeagol
03-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Obama lies, Gore is a hypocrite, Clinton perjures himself, Nixon lied his ass off and Bush starts a phony war based on lies.

Anybody sees the "pattern of the good politician"?

Mr. Peabody
03-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Barack Obama (http://hotair.com/archives/2007/03/05/audio-hillary-obama-develop-southern-accents-for-selma/) “was the product of an interracial marriage made possible by the march on Selma”…

Of course, when confronted with the lie, Obama’s campaign spun it (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070304selma,1,6402892.story?track=rss&ctrack=1&cset=true) like a ceiling fan on high speed…

Man, you really have to stretch to criticize this guy don't you?

Yonivore
03-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Man, you really have to stretch to criticize this guy don't you?
Just pointing out an inconsistency.

Say, how'd you like Hillary's fake southern accent? I wonder how long she practiced that before heading to Selma.

clambake
03-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Hillary pretending to be southern is as funny as bush pretending to be smart.

You can have the both of them.

Mr. Peabody
03-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Just pointing out an inconsistency.

Say, how'd you like Hillary's fake southern accent? I wonder how long she practiced that before heading to Selma.

I agree it's inconsistent and that he was taking advantage of the setting to respond to criticisms that he not "black enough." But I don't think the statement reveals any meaningful character flaw. The fact is that prior to the civil rights movement, relationships like that of his parents' would have been taboo and even illegal.

Yonivore
03-06-2007, 03:04 PM
I agree it's inconsistent and that he was taking advantage of the setting to respond to criticisms that he not "black enough." But I don't think the statement reveals any meaningful character flaw. The fact is that prior to the civil rights movement, relationships like that of his parents' would have been taboo and even illegal.
Joe Malchow (http://www.dartblog.com/data/2007/03/007041.php) takes a look at the theater that took place in Selma, Alabama over the weekend. What is striking, as Joe notes, is the absence of any substantive discussion of, let alone disagreement on, serious issues by the Democratic Presidential candidates:

For the Democrats, the only policy question that has piqued the national stage has been the Iraq War. And the flesh even there is thin: the newspaper reports are all about who has apologized for his or her vote in favor of the war.

[I]n Selma on Sunday...Hillary Clinton actually said that the Voting Rights Act of 1965 allowed her to run for President. There, Barack Obama said the same act allowed him to run for President. There, Mrs. Clinton spoke the words “We’ve got to stay awake, we’ve got to stay awake because we have a march to finish.” Mr. Obama, who would like to defeat Mrs. Clinton, said, referring to her, “We don’t have time for other folks to divide us.” Both ended their days singing the Pete Seeger song, We Shall Overcome. It was, if the lengthy Times report is at all accurate, a muddled spectacle of platitudinal nonsense and general embarrassment from two Americans who believe themselves capable of the presidency.
It's not hard to figure out that the Democrats don't like to talk about political philosophy or current issues, and instead, keep reliving or rhetorically leaning on the 60's, because they haven't had a new idea since 1968.

It would be nice if the media would notice now and then.

clambake
03-06-2007, 03:12 PM
If they were smart they'd follow the repub. lead and make inauthentic expressions of faith.

Drive Like Jehu
Joe Malchow (http://www.dartblog.com/data/2007/03/007041.php)

It's not hard to figure out that the Democrats don't like to talk about political philosophy or current issues, and instead, keep reliving or rhetorically leaning on the 60's, because they haven't had a new idea since 1968.

The civil rights movement wasn't a "democrat" idea. I think a lot of the Democrats in the south were opposed to the civil rights movement.

I also think it is disgraceful that both major parties allowed segregationist like Strom Thurmond to be included in their ranks at different parts of their history.

Yonivore
If they were smart they'd follow the repub. lead and make inauthentic expressions of faith.
Edwards is channeling Jesus this week. Does that count?

clambake
03-06-2007, 03:14 PM
It did in the past.

clambake
03-06-2007, 03:15 PM
It worked for you. Remember, you think bush was sent by God.

JoeChalupa
03-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Once again I can count on Yoni for some good laughs.