PDA

View Full Version : Nnnnoooooooo!!!!!!!

mardigan
03-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Sources: Cowboys sign Vikings' Johnson to 3-year dealESPN.com news services

JohnsonThe Dallas Cowboys have signed QB Brad Johnson to a three-year deal, ESPN.com has learned.

Johnson, who chose the Cowboys over the Denver Broncos, will make $3.5 million in the first season. No other contract terms available.

The Vikings released Johnson last month, making room for Tarvaris Jackson, who started the final two games of last season as a rookie, and Brooks Bollinger as the top options at the position.

The Vikings went 7-2 with Johnson under center in 2006 and just missed the playoffs at 9-7. He threw for 2,750 yards and nine touchdowns last season.

Johnson, who won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay in the 2002-03 season, is fifth in Vkings franchise history with 11,093 yards passing behind Fran Tarkenton, Tommy Kramer, Daunte Culpepper and Wade Wilson.

Son of a motherfucking bitch

bigdog
03-05-2007, 08:03 PM
hell no. i saw this earlier on ESPN News. he's a good qb SOMETIMES, but i wouldnt trust him at all with an inconsistent line. so a 3 year deal? that means hes signed for a longer contract than Romo. what the hell?

mardigan
03-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Im so pissed off about this, hopefully he never sees the field, but if Romo gets hurt...........Jesus H Christ, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

mardigan
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Its unbeliavable that I would have rather had Harrington or Ramsey, but its true

Horry For 3!
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
I figured we would sign Brad Johnson.

scott
03-05-2007, 08:28 PM
weaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak

Fillmoe
03-05-2007, 11:17 PM
calm down..... hes the holder you idiots.....

mardigan
03-05-2007, 11:19 PM
You dont gota call me an idiot bro, I realize hes the backup, it still sucks though

Fillmoe
03-05-2007, 11:20 PM
im sorry...... didnt know you were so sensitive

u2sarajevo
03-05-2007, 11:34 PM
WTF is up with the Cowboys offseason moves?

I don't get it. Really.

I thought Johnson was insistent on being a starter. If they "promised" him a chance to prove himself as the starter in training camp I am going to flip my lid.

Unbelievable.

leemajors
03-06-2007, 12:11 AM

I don't get it. Really.

I thought Johnson was insistent on being a starter. If they "promised" him a chance to prove himself as the starter in training camp I am going to flip my lid.

Unbelievable.

i try not to be surprised because jerry is the gm, but i can't help it. :depressed

kskonn
03-06-2007, 12:12 AM

I don't get it. Really.

Unbelievable.

All reports indicate that he is clear that he is Romo's backup. I think he will be a very good back up. Besides,the contract looks like it will be front loaded , so he will be a player they can cut easily after one year.or keep for a small salary cap hit for the entire contract.

there is actually a quote where stephen jones says , ( I am paraphrasing) If Romo gets hurt I feel that Brad can keep us playing at a high level. So it is very clear that he is the back up.

mardigan
03-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Well if he knows his place I wont have a problem with it

Pugglekicker_21
Meh, they have more pressing needs to fill, but this one was the biggest before those. Brad wont help Roy cover.

mardigan
im sorry...... didnt know you were so sensitive

Well now you know, and knowing is half the battle

mardigan
03-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Backup Plan
Not A Mentor, But Johnson Expects To Contribute

Nick Eatman - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
March 6, 2007 5:34 PM Change Font Size A A A A

Brad Johnson has 122 career starts in his 15-year career, including 14 for the Vikings last year.
IRVING, Texas - Brad Johnson doesn't see himself as just a backup quarterback. He doesn't particularly like the idea of being a mentor, either.

But he also doesn't appear to be someone who wants to rock the boat.

So look for the veteran quarterback to find his role somewhere in between as he prepares for his first season with the Dallas Cowboys.

Johnson signed a three-year deal with the Cowboys on Tuesday worth $7.5 million, including a $2.5 million signing bonus.

The veteran quarterback becomes the third player in the last two days to sign with the Cowboys, who shelled out big bucks (7-years, $49.6 million) to land offensive lineman Leonard Davis on Monday and also re-signed kicker Martin Gramatica.

The Cowboys remain in talks with offensive tackle Marc Colombo, who started every game last season at right tackle. The Cowboys are hoping to sign Colombo to a two-year deal worth in the range of about $7 million.

The Cowboys ended the season with seven unrestricted free agents, including Colombo, Gramatica and starting center Andre Gurode, who was re-signed to a six-year, $30 million deal last month. Center Al Johnson has agreed to terms on a four-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals, and defensive end Kenyon Coleman signed with the New York Jets late Tuesday.

Re-signing Colombo along with the addition of Davis would definitely address the Cowboys' offensive line, one of the team's top priorities heading into free agency. The other priority was finding a veteran backup quarterback and Johnson would seem to fit that role as well.

Based on his contract, which will pay the 38-year-old veteran about $2.5 million a year for the next three seasons, the Cowboys are counting on Johnson to be an insurance policy in case something happens to starter Tony Romo.

Johnson, a 15-year veteran, said his role is still undefined, but don't expect him to prepare any differently than he's done in the past.

"My role is to be ready to play at any moment and my role will be defined in time," Johnson said Tuesday in a conference call. "I think it's going to be a great quarterback room. I look forward to working with the offensive staff, Tony and everybody. I just want to be there and work hard and hopefully we can win a bunch of ball games."

Johnson visited the Broncos over the weekend before arriving in Dallas on Monday. He said both teams would've been good options, but he chose the Cowboys for what he said was simply a better opportunity.

"The role was a little bit different and the situation was a little bit different for me coming to Dallas than it was in Denver," Johnson said. "I thought both of them would've been great situations to be a part of.

"(But) in Denver, they drafted Jay (Cutler) in the first round. He is the franchise, where they want him there for the next 10 years. He has a lot of potential and talent and they're looking more of a mentor role. And I don't know about that whole mentor thing. I really disagree with that. I think I'll have a great relationship with (Romo) and I want to keep it a great atmosphere in that quarterback room."

Johnson said he dislikes the term "mentor" because he feels that is simply not his place.

"Tony knows football and we already have a quarterback coach; he doesn't need another coach," Johnson said. "My thing is to just work hard in practice and have a great relationship with Tony and hopefully he'll have the greatest year of his life this year and does great things. I want to see him succeed and I want to see the Cowboys succeed.

"I just want it to be a fun time for all of us. But I'm not there for my health. My big thing is to be prepared in case something happens. I have to learn the system and more importantly to get familiar with the players on the team and make it comfortable for everyone."

And it's not like Johnson is completely new to the backup role. In fact, he was mainly just a backup in college at Florida State, a rarity for NFL players, especially at quarterback.

But Johnson made his way into the league and eventually became the starter in Minnesota in the late 90's. He played for the Redskins and then in Tampa Bay, where he earned a Super Bowl ring in leading the Bucs to a championship in 2002.

Johnson returned to Minnesota for the last two seasons, and although he started 14 games for the Vikings last season, he was released on Feb. 28 with the club expecting to turn over the reins to Tarvaris Jackson, a second-round pick last season.

But despite turning 39 in September and headed to his fourth pro team, Johnson doesn't appear to have lost any confidence in his own ability.

"I still I feel like I can play. Obviously, my track record, my winning percentage is up over 60 percent," Johnson said. "I have a winning record with six out of seven head coaches. Obviously the last year wasn't what I wanted it to have been. But I enjoy being around guys who love to work. I love talking ball and just everything about it. My role now is just to work hard and if something comes up, just be ready to go and help the team win."

And while Johnson said he expects to have a good relationship with Romo, he's excited about reuniting with a few coaches closer to his age in Garrett and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson.

Johnson spent one season with Garrett when the two played in Tampa Bay in 2004, but said Garrett's family background, not to mention being a backup for several seasons, has given him plenty of experience for his new job.

"He's been around football his whole life. He loves it," Johnson said of Garrett. "He's been around so many different football environments and different head coaches and different quarterbacks. He relates well to people and he's open. . . . Whatever it is he's going to make it best fit for the players that are on that team. He loves winning and I think it's proven throughout his career his role as a player in this league and as a coach."

But the love for winning is definitely inside Johnson as well, and that's one of the major reasons why he's putting retirement on hold and trying to play a few more years.

"I was a part of winning a Super Bowl and that's something special and that's what attracts you to the game," Johnson said. "But you deal with the highs and lows of the every day of it. It's about the journey and I've been fortunate to be around a lot of coaches and players. The guys who work the hardest have the longest careers and I love being around them."

And Johnson isn't just around them. He's now one of them, too.

monosylab1k
03-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Probably the best backup option available....but if Romo isn't for real, this team is screwed. Which I guess is stating the obvious...but we'll have no hope whatsoever because we know that Johnson isn't going to help us beyond being a backup.

mardigan
03-07-2007, 05:34 PM
I think I still would have rather had Ramsey or Harrington for their youth, but I guess Brads experience is probably the best option

sa_butta
03-07-2007, 05:46 PM
He is just a back-up, I dont believe he is any real threat to take the starting job.
He is at least better than Bledsoe.

mardigan
03-07-2007, 05:48 PM
He is just a back-up, I dont believe he is any real threat to take the starting job.
He is at least better than Bledsoe.

See, I really dont know about that, I think Brads decision making is better, but Drew definately has the better arm

samikeyp
03-07-2007, 06:42 PM
What? Danny White wasn't available? :lol

Jerry couldn't get Troy away from Fox?

I heard they were going to re-sign Septien but they couldn't keep him away from the kiddies.

:lmao

I'm a diehard Cowboys fan but I think they could have done better on this one.

sa_butta
03-07-2007, 07:06 PM
What? Danny White wasn't available? :lol

Jerry couldn't get Troy away from Fox?

I heard they were going to re-sign Septien but they couldn't keep him away from the kiddies.

:lmao

I'm a diehard Cowboys fan but I think they could have done better on this one.Wasnt Steve Beuerlein still available?

mardigan
03-07-2007, 07:26 PM
We should have just re-signed Quincy

sa_butta
03-07-2007, 07:29 PM
We should have just re-signed Quincy:smokin

mardigan
03-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Come on Butta, you know I was joking

samikeyp
03-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I bet Roger's arm is rested. :)

sa_butta
03-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Come on Butta, you know I was jokingOf course I do.
He could be on an all-weed team with RB Ricky Williams.

sa_butta
03-07-2007, 09:09 PM
I bet Roger's arm is rested. :):lol
If it hasnt fallen off yet.

Chagus
03-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Sources: Cowboys sign Vikings' Johnson to 3-year dealESPN.com news services

JohnsonThe Dallas Cowboys have signed QB Brad Johnson to a three-year deal, ESPN.com has learned.

Johnson, who chose the Cowboys over the Denver Broncos, will make $3.5 million in the first season. No other contract terms available.

The Vikings released Johnson last month, making room for Tarvaris Jackson, who started the final two games of last season as a rookie, and Brooks Bollinger as the top options at the position.

The Vikings went 7-2 with Johnson under center in 2006 and just missed the playoffs at 9-7. He threw for 2,750 yards and nine touchdowns last season.

Johnson, who won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay in the 2002-03 season, is fifth in Vkings franchise history with 11,093 yards passing behind Fran Tarkenton, Tommy Kramer, Daunte Culpepper and Wade Wilson.

Son of a motherfucking bitch

It could be worse. Look at the dolphins last year and that looked like a GREAT QB aquisition. He is NOT going to be the starter. Romo is our guy. I think BJ is a good option at BACKUP QB.

NBA Junkie
03-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Did you guys ever consider that maybe Johnson was signed to become the holder on FG attempts so Romo can focus primarily on the starting QB duties?

I think Johnson was in a bad situation in Minnesota last year where he really had no talented skill players around him, especially at WR. His arm strength is questionable now, but he won't make a ton of mistakes if he's pressed into action. Probably was the cheapest back-up available who should be a good mentor to Romo.

mardigan
03-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Did you guys ever consider that maybe Johnson was signed to become the holder on FG attempts so Romo can focus primarily on the starting QB duties?

I think Johnson was in a bad situation in Minnesota last year where he really had no talented skill players around him, especially at WR. His arm strength is questionable now, but he won't make a ton of mistakes if he's pressed into action. Probably was the cheapest back-up available who should be a good mentor to Romo.

Yea dude, none of us are stupid,we realize we didnt sign him to be the starter. With that said, if anything happens to Tony, I guess he isnt the worst option in the world, but I still dont have to like the signing

Purple & Gold
03-14-2007, 01:28 PM
This is actually a good signing for the Cowboys. You can never have enough QB's. He has also put up good numbers in the past.

BUMP
03-20-2007, 07:26 PM
whats Chad Hutchinson up to these days?

mardigan
03-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Probably hanging out with Quincy Carter

T Park
03-24-2007, 11:21 PM
whats Chad Hutchinson up to these days?

Should've been in the damn bullpen for the St Louis Cardinals by now, but thats neither here nor there....