PDA

View Full Version : Jesus' Tomb

smeagol
03-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Have they showed the Cameron documentary yet?

Here in Argentina they are showing it on the 22nd.

So, is this the nail in the religion's coffin? Jesus was a mortal man who never resurrected, married Mary Magdelene and had a son? Is the Bible pure BS?

Have I been duped . . . ? :depressed

E20
03-05-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm not even aware of this documentry. What's it about?

smeagol
03-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm not even aware of this documentry. What's it about?
About Jesus' tomb and his remains. I belive it was/will be shown in Discovery Channel or NGC.

NorCal510
03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
jesus was human

ChumpDumper
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
I heard the director talking about it on the radio. When your argument hinges on a statistician's guess, it's no wonder it's not bigger news.

leemajors
03-05-2007, 09:27 PM
isn't it just an ossuary that MAY have contained his bones? i know they were hoping to get DNA but these kinds of hoaxes have been done before. i know it had an inscription on it, and i believe it was located in Joseph's family tomb but i see no reason for this to trump Christianity.

YOU REALLY SUCK!
03-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi Chump. My, my, our posts sure are, um, plentiful, today. Know what I mean?

Shelly
03-05-2007, 10:24 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61060

I forgot to watch it, but I'm sure they'll show it a gazillion times. Smeagol, don't you live in NYC?

Guru of Nothing
03-05-2007, 10:31 PM

You decide.

smeagol
03-06-2007, 11:12 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61060

I forgot to watch it, but I'm sure they'll show it a gazillion times. Smeagol, don't you live in NYC?
I have been transferred back to Argentina.

No more League Pass for me :depressed

smeagol
03-06-2007, 11:13 AM
You decide.
I believe I haven't.

What do you think? :spin

deepsouth
03-07-2007, 07:20 AM
Hey Smeagol.
Haven't you read Sam Harris' "The end of faith" already?

I think you'll like it.

velik_m
03-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I bet it's really Brian's tomb.

xrayzebra
03-07-2007, 10:21 AM
I have been transferred back to Argentina.

No more League Pass for me :depressed

Your wife is no longer working in the City? I thought
you were working on citizenship.......what happened?
Just curious.

smeagol
03-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Your wife is no longer working in the City? I thought
you were working on citizenship.......what happened?
Just curious.
We are both in Argentina now. I can still get the citizenship if I spend enough time in the US in the next 5 years. I work in a bank so chances are I will travel often to the US and work out of NY (at least one month per year) so I will qualify for citizenship. If I don't, I will lose my green card.

xrayzebra
03-07-2007, 11:22 AM
We are both in Argentina now. I can still get the citizenship if I spend enough time in the US in the next 5 years. I work in a bank so chances are I will travel often to the US and work out of NY (at least one month per year) so I will qualify for citizenship. If I don't, I will lose my green card.

Hope you don't drop out of the forum. Keep us up to date.
I know you really didn't want to leave, so good luck on
the citizenship.

pussyface
03-07-2007, 03:13 PM
I know you really didn't want to leave, so good luck on
the citizenship.

xray-this is the last thing we need. immigrants...i hate 'em!
...they took our jobs!

goota shut down them borders, shucks. these types ain't loyal to uncle sam anyhow.

smeagol
03-08-2007, 08:32 AM
xray-this is the last thing we need. immigrants...i hate 'em!
...they took our jobs!

goota shut down them borders, shucks. these types ain't loyal to uncle sam anyhow.
No comment :rolleyes

Yonivore
03-08-2007, 01:45 PM
No comment :rolleyes
I think that is a comment.

smeagol
03-08-2007, 01:56 PM
I think that is a comment.
And what is the relevance of hi comment?

Yonivore
03-08-2007, 02:11 PM
And what is the relevance of hi comment?
hi comment? What's that?

smeagol
03-08-2007, 02:40 PM
hi comment? What's that?
his comment

xrayzebra
03-08-2007, 03:13 PM
his comment

Shheeesh, someone cannot make a simple statement without
someone making something of it. Ignore them.

Why someone has to call someone a racist, which what the
poster was trying to say: "xray-this is the last thing we need. immigrants...i hate 'em!
...they took our jobs!".

I was sincere in my comments. People who want to
become citizens of our country and do it correctly are
welcome. With or without all the credentials, who obviously you and your wife have.

Don't drop out of the forum and I hope the best for you,
whatever you intentions.

smeagol
03-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Shheeesh, someone cannot make a simple statement without
someone making something of it. Ignore them.

Why someone has to call someone a racist, which what the
poster was trying to say: "xray-this is the last thing we need. immigrants...i hate 'em!
...they took our jobs!".

I was sincere in my comments. People who want to
become citizens of our country and do it correctly are
welcome. With or without all the credentials, who obviously you and your wife have.

Don't drop out of the forum and I hope the best for you,
whatever you intentions.

I won't drop out of this forum. Like many (most of the posters who have more than 3,000 posts), this forum is part of my life. I thoroughly enjoy arguing with liberals and necons alike. ANd i love the b-ball knowledge of some. And I love the Spurs!

As per my status, as I said before, I am a green card holder since 2004 and a visa holder since 1996. Between my wife and I, we have paid a lot of money in taxes. We will have the chance to become US citizens once we comply with certain requisits. It will be at our own discretion, but we will probably go ahead and do it. We have three kids and they are all Americans. They will chose, when they become 18, if they want the dual citizenship (US-Argentina).

And if we have a fourth kid, we will probably fly to NY to deliver him/her there. That kid would kill me if his siblings are gringos and he is not!

xrayzebra
03-08-2007, 03:38 PM
And if we have a fourth kid, we will probably fly to NY to deliver him/her there. That kid would kill me if his siblings are gringos and he is not!

:smokin :smokin :lmao

Don Quixote
03-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Have they showed the Cameron documentary yet?

Here in Argentina they are showing it on the 22nd.

So, is this the nail in the religion's coffin? Jesus was a mortal man who never resurrected, married Mary Magdelene and had a son? Is the Bible pure BS?

No. All indications are that the "Jesus tomb" is a hoax. I attend a well-respected evangelical seminary in Louisiana, and the New Testament faculty here has known about this "find" for almost a decade.

Lots of good, scholarly, non-kook links at:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/marchweb-only/109-51.0.html#secret

Scroll down for a listing of stories. The point is, this tomb contains the bones of ordinary Jewish citizens, who had very common names for the time.

And I wouldn't consider pop-culture allegations of Jesus faking his death & resurrection, and getting married, to be a good argument against Christianity. There are far better ones.

Yonivore
03-08-2007, 03:58 PM
his comment
I didn't read his comment. I was just amused by your no comment, comment.

Extra Stout
03-08-2007, 05:03 PM
What? You mean James Cameron isn't the world's premier expert in Biblical archaeology and this is just a publicity stunt? This is shaking my faith in Canadians.

Don Quixote
03-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Nothing more than simple marketing.

Scholars have known about these tombs for over 25 years. There’s a reason they haven’t taken these names seriously. Only three have any direct biblical significance: Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. And that cluster of names is statistically unremarkable. In fact, it would be odd if a family with those three names was not found in a tomb together, given their common use (there are at least four ossuaries discovered inscribed “Jesus, son of Joseph,” and one in four women were named Mary, so it’s even money that one of these tombs would have that combination). And connection of Jesus to any of the other names? Wild speculation. So what you have here is a creative guessing game.
The entire argument is based on the statistical significance of the names in a cluster. If Jesus was married, and if Jesus was married to a woman named Mariamne, and if Mariamne was also a nickname for Mary Magdalene, and if Jesus had a brother named Matthew, and if Jesus had a son named Judas, and if the now-famous James ossuary belonged to James the brother of Jesus, then you’d have all the members of Jesus’ family together in one tomb. But that’s a lot of “ifs.
Even though this is called the “Jesus Family Tomb,” there is no hard evidence that any of these so-called “family members” is even related. The only DNA testing that’s been done—between Jesus and Mariamne—came up negative. Let me repeat that: The DNA test came up negative. That is fact. The rest is speculation.

The researchers claim they’re just trying to connect the dots? Fair enough. But why connect the dots the way they did? I’ll tell you why. Because it tells their story. There are many other legitimate ways to connect those same dots—some much more probable than the way the documentary connects them, but won’t give the story they’re promoting. But, of course, that wouldn’t create breaking news, would it?
Jesus’ family was a poor family from Nazareth, not a middle- to upper-class family from Jerusalem. So this tomb is the wrong kind of tomb located in the wrong city.

Excellent points, all of them.

I don't know why people always have to find the next big secret, the grand coverup, the conspiracy behind the scenes that controls everything. I guess it's because everyone wants the intellectual satisfaction of having it all figured out.

I've heard the tomb "discovery" being somewhat akin to finding a grave site with the stone reading "John," next to "Robert" and "Joseph," and concluding that it's the Kennedys.

Shelly
03-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Maybe Jimmy Hoffa is in one of those tombs :nerd

bendmz
03-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Maybe Jimmy Hoffa is in one of those tombs :nerd

need to look in the Detroit River for that one.... :fishing