PDA

View Full Version : Nick Diaz Fails Drug Test

desflood
03-05-2007, 09:57 PM
:lol Dumbass

BREAKING NEWS: NICK DIAZ FAILS DRUG TEST
Monday, March 05, 2007 - by Ivan Trembow - MMAWeekly.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breaking News on MMAWeekly: Nick Diaz has failed the drug test that he took following his win over Takanori Gomi at Pride 33: The Second Coming. Diaz tested positive for marijuana, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Diaz will have an opportunity to defend himself at a Nevada State Athletic Commission hearing in the future.

The typical punishment for MMA fighters or boxers who test positive for marijuana in the state of Nevada has been a six-month suspension, most recently with professional boxer Mikhail Lyubarsky, who was suspended for six months at his NSAC disciplinary hearing just this morning.

Diaz defeated Takanori Gomi by submission at Pride 33: The Second Coming in a huge upset.

In addition to being under contract to Pride, Diaz was also under contract with the Showtime-backed EliteXC to fight on a future EliteXC card. It is not yet known how or if Diaz' positive test will affect his status with Pride or EliteXC.

DIAZ WAS HESITANT TO TAKE DRUG TEST

MMAWeekly spoke with NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer about Diaz's failed drug test, and Kizer noted that Diaz was initially hesitant when he was asked to give a urine sample.

Kizer said, "It was interesting because when the inspectors went to take the urine sample before his fight, Mr. Diaz said no at first. He wanted to give the sample in a stall. The sample has to be given in front of an inspector, and he wouldn't do it. Well, we've played that game with Mr. Randleman, so we weren't going to have that, but he refused to do it. So I said, 'That's fine, no problem, but you're not going to be fighting, of course. If you're not going to take the drug test, that's fine, but you're not fighting tonight.'"

Kizer continued, "So I talked to Turi [Altavilla] at Pride and then he apparently talked to Nick, and then he was more than happy to give us a sample. The fight would have been called off otherwise. I don't know if his hesitance to take a drug test has anything to do with his positive drug test and whether there's any correlation there, but it's definitely a factor that I will be bringing up with the commissioners. Mr. Diaz was the only fighter who showed any hesitance in taking a drug test."

FIGHT RESULT MAY OR MAY NOT BE CHANGED TO "NO CONTEST"

The official policy of the NSAC used to be that the result of a fight would stay the same, no matter what banned substances were found in the winning fighter's system, but that policy has changed in recent years.

Now, if a fighter wins a bout and tests positive for steroids, stimulants, or other performance-enhancing drugs in their post-fight drug test, the official result is changed to a no-contest.

Whether or not that will apply to marijuana as well remains to be seen. When asked specifically about the result of the Diaz-Gomi fight, Kizer told MMAWeekly that the issue will have to be decided by the commissioners. He added that all of the factors will be considered before it's decided whether the official result of the fight should be changed to "no contest" or whether it should stay the same (Diaz wins by submission).

Regarding the subject of marijuana use among mixed martial artists in general, Kizer said to MMAWeekly last month, "The main issue with marijuana is it slows the reflexes, putting the fighter at much greater risk. We would not let a fighter compete who is coming off arm surgery and has not fully recovered his reflexes, or who is under the influence of alcohol because of the same issue. Additionally, it may also deaden some pain. That could hurt the fighter... he may not tap out when he should and he suffers broken bones or torn ligaments as a result... or that could unfairly help him if he can trade punches more easily with his opponent."

POTENTIAL DISCIPLINARY SUSPENSION A MOOT POINT?

Due to the fact that Diaz suffered a broken orbital bone during the fight against Gomi and had already been medically suspended by the NSAC for six months, any potential disciplinary suspension for marijuana could end up being a moot point, depending on the length of the disciplinary suspension.

If Diaz were to be given a six-month disciplinary suspension while he's already serving a six-month medical suspension, the disciplinary suspension would essentially be a moot point because he wasn't going to be fighting for six months anyway. The fighter in that case has actually lost zero days when they "could have fought" but weren't allowed to fight because they were being punished.

In other states such as New Jersey, if a fighter is medically suspended and also fails a drug test, the fighter's disciplinary suspension begins on the day that his or her medical suspension ends.

This is not currently the case in Nevada. When asked if the NSAC plans to change its policy on this matter in the future, Kizer said that it's up to the commissioners but he added, "Any drug violation occurs before any injury, so I am not sure if you should punish a fighter more because of his injuries."

NINE OTHER PRIDE FIGHTERS PASS DRUG TESTS

All of the other fighters who were drug tested at Pride 33: The Second Coming tested negative for all banned substances, including steroids, stimulants, and recreational drugs.

mardigan
03-05-2007, 10:08 PM
At least it wasnt roids

IX_Equilibrium
03-05-2007, 10:21 PM
HAHAHAHA!!!!

Mary Jane???

He should be commended for beating Gomi with that shit in his system, not punished!

dallaskd
03-05-2007, 10:24 PM
http://sherdog.com/_images/news/2007_03/6902.jpg

IX_Equilibrium
03-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Weed is hardly a performance enhancing substance. It's a hinderance, if anything. I didn't think they tested for that.

cornbread
03-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Lots of bjj guys smoke weed. It's not uncommon. But professional MMA fighters??? :dizzy

cornbread
03-05-2007, 10:52 PM
BTW, that would be totally weak if they change the fight result to a NC.

Mr Dio
03-05-2007, 11:22 PM
At least it wasnt roids

He wasted Gomi while stoned? :lmao How freakin' embarassed Gomi must be! :lol

Shows how much respect he had for the pride Paper Champ Gomisan. :lol

Mr Dio
03-05-2007, 11:23 PM
At least it wasnt roids

:lol
Yeah, if Nick the former UFC'er is going to continue dominating pride he should turn to 'roids like the rest of those guys in Nippon land. :lol

LEONARD
03-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Eh, who cares...if a guy wants to smoke weed I don't care. His next fight will be in Japan, so I don't think it matters. If he's suspended 6 months by the NSAC it shouldn't matter much...unless it means he can's fight for Elite XC in June...

No other positive tests after Pride 33, including Wand "The Roid Monkey" Silva... :lol

MajorMike
03-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Eh, who cares...if a guy wants to smoke weed I don't care.

Serious. I mean, at least he's not competeing in a sport.

LEONARD
03-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Here comes CaptMike! He's on an MMA rampage...brace yourselves :lol

There is a NASCAR thread here for you...I realize it's 15:1 MMA:NASCAR on the 1st page, but that thread is there for you to discuss your favorite NASCAR "athletes" if you'd like... :lol

mardigan
03-06-2007, 11:35 AM
^^^hahaha

MajorMike
03-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Once again.. someone trying to back something so lame that he has no other recourse than to make fun of someone else because he can't defend himself.

The last actions of a looser.

cornbread
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
The last actions of a looser.

A NASCAR fan that can't spell? That's unheard of. The Captain should ask some of those bright kids that he plays video games with to spell-check his posts so he doesn't look like such a dumbass when he comes in here talking shit.

MajorMike
03-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Dadgummit, I was wanting Leo to find that. I didn't realize anyone else here but him and Eq read these threads.

Oh, and nice of you to jump on some else's coat tails, cb, very manly.

LEONARD
03-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Once again.. someone trying to back something so lame that he has no other recourse than to make fun of someone else because he can't defend himself. The last actions of a looser.

LMAO...says the guy that posted this thread???
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61670

So it's lame because a guy failed a drug test? WTF?? What is there to say? It happens in EVERY sport...why does it say something about MMA that it doesn't say about the NBA, MLB, NFL, etc?? I don't care about it in other sports and I don't care about it in MMA. Especially pot...

Once again, CaptMike chiming in on a SPORT that he knows DICK about...

and FYI...
Loose = opposite of tight
Lose = opposite of win

cornbread
03-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Dadgummit, I was wanting Leo to find that. I didn't realize anyone else here but him and Eq read these threads.

Oh, and nice of you to jump on some else's coat tails, cb, very manly.

2 minutes to reply? Damn you're on short leash.

I'm not on anybody's coattails. I'm just tired of reading the ignorant shit that you post in mma threads. If you enjoy watching cars drive in a circle, more power to you. But the fact you would come in here type
at least he's not competeing in a sport pisses me off just a bit so excuse me if I respond.

But I can't take you seriously anyways. You play WOW. With kids.

mardigan
03-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Nascar would be 10 times better if the cars where driven by monkeys on steroids, then I would watch

cornbread
03-06-2007, 01:02 PM
My uncle is 40 pounds overweight, smokes two packs a day, hasn't exercised in 30 years and he drives racecars. He's very athletic.

MajorMike
03-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Just like I can't take you seriously for worshiping mma. I be you were a big kickboxing thing when that was the fad too.

I bet your uncle would still whoop your ass, tho, huh?

cornbread
03-06-2007, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't expect you to take me seriously. It's not like I'm a 3rd Level Dragon Master of Warcraft or anything.

MajorMike
03-06-2007, 04:01 PM
I understand. You just hide behind your posts and have a degenerate uncle.

cornbread
03-06-2007, 04:06 PM
He may be a lowlife but he's a hell of an athlete in our eyes.

MajorMike
03-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Waaaaait a minute........ I thought drivers weren't athletes.

IX_Equilibrium
03-06-2007, 05:01 PM

I see the attention whore is back.

LEONARD
03-06-2007, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't expect you to take me seriously. It's not like I'm a 3rd Level Dragon Master of Warcraft or anything.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

http://storage.canalblog.com/30/59/101011/7261473.jpg

mardigan
03-06-2007, 06:00 PM

Ive never read any posts by anyone that knows less about a sport than your posts

MajorMike
03-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Ive never read any posts by anyone that knows less about a sport than your posts

I've never read a post by someone who has read so little.

You sure seemed to agree with me on David Carr.

mardigan
03-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Not talking about your football knowledge, very knowledgable in that respect, just your mma knowledge

MajorMike
03-06-2007, 07:06 PM
UFC RULZ! (http://www.jibjab.com/jokebox/jokebox/jibjab/id/523069/jokeid/119510)

mardigan
03-06-2007, 07:08 PM
That was actually kind of funny

cornbread
03-07-2007, 12:03 AM
UFC RULZ! (http://www.jibjab.com/jokebox/jokebox/jibjab/id/523069/jokeid/119510)

:lol I didn't realize that was a link. That is pretty hilarious.

LEONARD
03-07-2007, 09:12 AM

It's hard to get less than ZERO...

LEONARD
04-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Diaz' win over Gomi changed to a "No Contest" due to the extreme levels of THC in his system...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=7231

:dizzy

Very surprising...

I wonder if the fact that he had a fractured orbital but kept fighting like nothing was wrong had anything to do with their assessment that the pot affected his pain tolerance? Remember what Bob Sapp did when Crocop fractured his orbital? He went down in a heap...

IX_Equilibrium
04-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Diaz' win over Gomi changed to a "No Contest" due to the extreme levels of THC in his system...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=7231

:dizzy

Very surprising...

I wonder if the fact that he had a fractured orbital but kept fighting like nothing was wrong had anything to do with their assessment that the pot affected his pain tolerance? Remember what Bob Sapp did when Crocop fractured his orbital? He went down in a heap...

I seriously doubt he was high when he fought. :smokin THC can stay in the system for a good while.

It's complete bullshit that they made it a no contest.